Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

THE BAR posted:

There's something about your primary empire not turning the others into itself, if you keep them alive, too, right?

not exactly. As long as you fully control them but do not create the empire, their constituent kingdoms will De Jure drift into your empire and once all of them do, the empire title will become Titular.

There's really no point in NOT doing this, as you get pitiful levies from Kingdoms outside your primary empire. You also need to consider that your vassal kings will get a -30 malus "Desires the Empire of X" as soon as you control more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE BAR posted:

There's something about your primary empire not turning the others into itself, if you keep them alive, too, right?

Kingdoms won't de jure drift into your primary empire if you have created their own current de jure empire, yeah. Like how duchies won't shift into your primary kingdom if you have also formed their de jure overlord title.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've started an Elder Kings LP over in the Let's Play forum.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Excelzior posted:

You also need to consider that your vassal kings will get a -30 malus "Desires the Empire of X" as soon as you control more than one.

That's the biggest annoyance of having multiple empire titles. But then again, when you reach that point in the game you are already pretty much unbeatable.

I like to create/usurp every title I can, I just cant avoid it. So I will usually end up with more than one empire, even though I know its not a very good idea. It does gives you a good prestige bonus, though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GSD posted:

Kingdoms won't de jure drift into your primary empire if you have created their own current de jure empire, yeah. Like how duchies won't shift into your primary kingdom if you have also formed their de jure overlord title.

And that's what I was fearing, thanks for clearing that up, everyone!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, in After the End, I've been playing a New England game, vaguely anticipating a British invasion. Unfortunately, rather than the British, some random gently caress from the court of a random county of Yazoo in northern Mississippi has decided to go adventuring in Maine. With 30,000 friends. With mercs, I can only manage 20,000. And what's worse, even if I roll the save back, I can't assassinate him (or interact with him at all) because he's too far away.

I mean, really. How can he plan an invasion on me if I can't even interact with him?

If I have to just... deal with it, how long do his adventurer troops stay around? I'll be able to kick his face in again and again every five years to get him out of Maine if I have to, but... the whole thing is just really annoying.

I don't have much experience with adventurers in vanilla either, so if any of this is normal CK2 stuff I'd still appreciate an explanation.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

So, in After the End, I've been playing a New England game, vaguely anticipating a British invasion. Unfortunately, rather than the British, some random gently caress from the court of a random county of Yazoo in northern Mississippi has decided to go adventuring in Maine. With 30,000 friends. With mercs, I can only manage 20,000. And what's worse, even if I roll the save back, I can't assassinate him (or interact with him at all) because he's too far away.

I mean, really. How can he plan an invasion on me if I can't even interact with him?

If I have to just... deal with it, how long do his adventurer troops stay around? I'll be able to kick his face in again and again every five years to get him out of Maine if I have to, but... the whole thing is just really annoying.

I don't have much experience with adventurers in vanilla either, so if any of this is normal CK2 stuff I'd still appreciate an explanation.

Sounds like regular CK2 adventurers.

edit: I once had an adventurer in England come for my land in India somehow. It was pretty funny because he couldn't get to me so I just sat there at war for what felt like a decade.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 24, 2014

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I know that there's there English melting pot event that occurs if you're Norman, but is there any way you'll become English if you're Anglo-Saxon?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

30,000 adventurers

As Ithle says, sounds like standard adventurers. Keep track of his position on his long march, don't raise your mercs and levies till he's nearly at your door. Once he's there, be prepared to give ground. Let attrition continue the work it's hopefully been doing on that great big stack of adventurers all through their trip from Yazoo. Strike once the odds are in your favor, once you beat his available army he's done.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Clochette posted:

I know that there's there English melting pot event that occurs if you're Norman, but is there any way you'll become English if you're Anglo-Saxon?

If the AI in my current game is anything to go by, give York to a Norman dude, wait a hundred years or so, then have your heir educated by him.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eiba posted:

This is a bug with the the adventurer events. He's supposed to raise an army based on your own levy size, which is admittedly a little BS just as is. But sometimes for whatever reason, they get one much, much bigger. I'd roll the save back and console kill the guy, or else console imprison once the war is declared.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

This is a bug with the the adventurer events. He's supposed to raise an army based on your own levy size, which is admittedly a little BS just as is. But sometimes for whatever reason, they get one much, much bigger. I'd roll the save back and console kill the guy, or else console imprison once the war is declared.

Imagine the saddened droop of Joshua Chamberlain's whiskers to hear that Mainers might use mere console commands to avoid a fight with Mississippians, even outnumbered 3 to 2.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

zeal posted:

As Ithle says, sounds like standard adventurers. Keep track of his position on his long march, don't raise your mercs and levies till he's nearly at your door. Once he's there, be prepared to give ground. Let attrition continue the work it's hopefully been doing on that great big stack of adventurers all through their trip from Yazoo. Strike once the odds are in your favor, once you beat his available army he's done.
I did not know he had 30,000 until he was actually in Connecticut. Who knows what he started with in Yazoo. I'd been at war with him for a year, kind of not giving a drat as he trekked across the continent.

I was actually beating up on New Brunswick to pass the time, as I had underestimated him so much.

I managed to actually beat him with only a bit of savescumming.

First time I tried, I hired the Seventh Cavalry, and got my army down from New Brunswick as fast as possible and managed to catch his army with 5,000 troops split off, so it was just 20,000 to 25,000, with a shitton of heavy cavalry provided by the 7th. The day before battle my ruler (also a military leader) died of syphilis and depression the exact same day the 7th decided I didn't have enough money for them to keep going. The battle was lost and I reloaded.

Second time my character died of syphilis the day after I loaded up.

Third time I decided to scour the courts of America for leaders with high military skill. One of the fun things about Enatic-Cognatic succession is that it lets you use all those female characters with high military that no one else cares about. With the fierce warriors, Susan and Patricia, Occultists from Chistian courts, on my flanks (Patricia had 24 mil, but the trait flanking, so I kept her on the flak) the battle was much closer. I couldn't manage to get the troops split off again, even after letting them occupy most of Connecticut and Massachusetts in the process of trying to trick them, so in the end the Battle Boston it was 20,000 to 30,000 with cheaper mercs on my side. After a stressful couple days at the start where my morale was going down and theirs wasn't, the phase changed and Patricia's flanking skills kicked in and utterly destroyed the right flank. It was still really close after that, with my moral nearly sapped by the end but I still eked out a win in the end, and a white peace.

Then my ruler died of syphilis again. I may have to deal with a realm split between my child daughters, with a bunch of angry dukes, but that Missisippian fucker is dead as poo poo. So that's good at least. I hope I recover in time for the British in 40-50 years.

Side note: Enatic-Cognatic also kind of sucks, as you get a -10 female ruler penalty, as well as a -10 female successor penalty, making it pretty much an automatic -20 all the time with everyone.

I mean, it's the law of the land that women inherit... they shouldn't be that bent out of shape about it.

As another side note, it's kind of fun being stuck as an unreformed pagan, as gavelkind makes every generation dramatic, and the fact that I can't convert anyone has made my court and indeed my realm an incredibly eclectic place. And no one gives a drat, which is fun.

Edit:
30,000 adventurers from Prince Edward Island have arrived in Maine to conquer Massachusetts.

Welp.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

catlord posted:

If the AI in my current game is anything to go by, give York to a Norman dude, wait a hundred years or so, then have your heir educated by him.

The English melting pot event requires the year to be at least 1100, and for an Anglo-Saxon county to be ruled by a Norman. The county will become English, and the Norman Ruler will get events prompting them to change culture.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

My god. They really are strong like bear.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've had a weird-rear end bug where I declared a crown authority revolt on my liege (he's a king, I'm a duke), but when the war ends a bunch of my count vassals become independent. Of the entire realm, not just my part of it. This only happens to some of them, and only the ones for which I don't own their de jour duchy title. Except it doesn't even do all of them, and it randomly changes which ones split off suddenly if I revert and end the war at different times. And if I pause, end the war, and then look at the characters, it shows them as having the correct liege chain... even though they're listed as independent, and immediately become so once another day passes.

It's completely jacked up and I don't have any old enough save to avoid it. So that game's pretty much dead now.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh. Does the converter not do Zoroastrian? Or Monophysite? :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh. Does the converter not do Zoroastrian? Or Monophysite? :(

It should. Is it converting over as noreligion? Because that happens when a religion gets supplanted by a heresy, and then takes it back. I think there's some way to fix it, but I'm not quite sure.

It often happens with Zoroastrianism and Miaphysite because they will often get the poo poo kicked out of them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

catlord posted:

It should. Is it converting over as noreligion? Because that happens when a religion gets supplanted by a heresy, and then takes it back. I think there's some way to fix it, but I'm not quite sure.

It often happens with Zoroastrianism and Miaphysite because they will often get the poo poo kicked out of them.

Ah, that'll be it, then. Manicheanism got loose on the steppes and the group leader went something like Zoroastrian -> Manichean -> Zoroastrian -> Manichean -> Madzaki -> Zoroastrian. And that's when the hordes appeared, so now I have a noreligion hole in the world stretching from Archangelsk to Baluchistan. :geno:

Well, I guess I can always fix it by hand.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Been working a bit more on mod map stuff, and finally got to the point where I could implement a certain county and a certain dynasty:

Granted I figure they shouldn't start off as a mighty realm, but poo poo, at least that's there now.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

One thing I love doing to adventurers or any other fool who thinks he can jack my titles is after beating him and tossing his rear end in jail, forcing him to take the vows in a holy order, and then killing off any male kids he has. Try and steal my lands? Your branch of the tree is gone.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

cosmosisjones posted:

One thing I love doing to adventurers or any other fool who thinks he can jack my titles is after beating him and tossing his rear end in jail, forcing him to take the vows in a holy order, and then killing off any male kids he has. Try and steal my lands? Your branch of the tree is gone.

On a related note, I love capturing religious rebels, forcing them to convert once they're in prison, and then packing them off to a Holy Order once their spirits are broken. Have fun doing battle for those you once considered your most hated enemies, possibly in action against your former brothers in theology!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my big Norse playthrough I forced the most talented rebel leaders to convert to reformed paganism and used them to officer my standing army. The Einherjar ended up led by a bunch of Italian and Andalusian supergenerals who all hated the fylkir but were slaves to his will.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cosmosisjones posted:

This is definitely good, but the court jester "honorary" title still holds a special place in my heart when it comes to dealing with these guys.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, is this a bug? Recently the Byzantine Empire had a Jewish Emperor, with most dukes turning Jewish in turn. This was all well and good but then I just saw this:

Again, Jewish ruler and Jewish dukes? I'm not complaining but how is this happening? Wouldn't the Dukes be opposed to a heretical ruler and throw him out?

Edit: Sunni moral authority was like 38-48% at one point but has gone all the way back up to 80%

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Historically accurate, they control all the great empires of the world. :tinfoil:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Desmond is a pretty good count start in 867 for someone looking to do the whole count->emperor thing. You get one of the bigger levies in Ireland and if you get a decent enough Steward, you can just fabricate on a neighbor or two and then press your strong claim on Tara, and then Holy War Dyflinn to get Dublin. By then you've basically got enough to create the Kingdom of Ireland.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Are the buddhists more resistant to conversion or something?

Im hindu and I expanded a lot, inside and outside India. So I got a lot of non-hindu provinces, mostly jain, sunni and buddhist. Hinduism at 80 moral authority, after I won a whole bunch of holy wars.

The jain provinces (jain currently has around 20 moral authority) are converting fast without any help from me. The sunni (around 60 moral authority) ones are also converting, a lot slower, but they are.

The buddhist ones (only 40 moral authority), however, dont seems to be converting at all, even if I let my priest guy proselytising for decades.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elias_Maluco posted:

Are the buddhists more resistant to conversion or something?

Im hindu and I expanded a lot, inside and outside India. So I got a lot of non-hindu provinces, mostly jain, sunni and buddhist. Hinduism at 80 moral authority, after I won a whole bunch of holy wars.

The jain provinces (jain currently has around 20 moral authority) are converting fast without any help from me. The sunni (around 60 moral authority) ones are also converting, a lot slower, but they are.

The buddhist ones (only 40 moral authority), however, dont seems to be converting at all, even if I let my priest guy proselytising for decades.

The indian religions have a harder time converting each other. That the Jain provinces are converting faster sounds a bit like luck, as both Jain and Hindu provinces took a long time to convert when I last played there (as buddhist).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Of all the paradox games, I never thought I'd do a WC in CK2.

I never want to see a map again but my completionism dictates I'm going to wait for the Mongols and Aztecs just to drive the point home.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Broken Cog posted:

The indian religions have a harder time converting each other. That the Jain provinces are converting faster sounds a bit like luck, as both Jain and Hindu provinces took a long time to convert when I last played there (as buddhist).

Hum, I get it. Perhaps my luck with the jain ones can be explained by the fact their moral authority is very very low and there is only a single jain ruler left on the game.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hum, I get it. Perhaps my luck with the jain ones can be explained by the fact their moral authority is very very low and there is only a single jain ruler left on the game.

Converting the other Indian religions is basically a waste of time because they almost never revolt due to the Indian religions all being very comfortable with each other. Unless you really want to go for a complete one world-one faith thing, but even then there's a chance you might not even get it finished before the game ends because it just takes so drat long. I've gone decades with all of India under my control and not seeing one province convert despite all of the rulers being Hindu, Hindu MA at 100%, and 30+ learning preachers. RNG is a cruel mistress.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

zeal posted:

In my big Norse playthrough I forced the most talented rebel leaders to convert to reformed paganism and used them to officer my standing army. The Einherjar ended up led by a bunch of Italian and Andalusian supergenerals who all hated the fylkir but were slaves to his will.

I never thought of this. I've just been executing them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

This trick used to be really overpowered, but since they introduced the 'broken spirit' trait that nerfs all their stats, defeated rebels aren't that useful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Execute is the way to go for sure. Removes them from your court, you inherit whatever wealth they may have had, and it gets rid of a character that the game no longer has to track.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ithle01 posted:

Converting the other Indian religions is basically a waste of time because they almost never revolt due to the Indian religions all being very comfortable with each other. Unless you really want to go for a complete one world-one faith thing, but even then there's a chance you might not even get it finished before the game ends because it just takes so drat long. I've gone decades with all of India under my control and not seeing one province convert despite all of the rulers being Hindu, Hindu MA at 100%, and 30+ learning preachers. RNG is a cruel mistress.

Now that you mentioned it, I really never had a buddhist or jain revolt. I guess I will just let then be.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

marktheando posted:

This trick used to be really overpowered, but since they introduced the 'broken spirit' trait that nerfs all their stats, defeated rebels aren't that useful.

Important (exploitable) note: whitepeacing rebels results in the rebel leader remaining in your court, but does not apply the broken spirit status to him. This is a bit trickier now that rebels autosurrender at 100% warscore, but it usually takes a couple weeks for that to trigger.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

DStecks posted:

Important (exploitable) note: whitepeacing rebels results in the rebel leader remaining in your court, but does not apply the broken spirit status to him. This is a bit trickier now that rebels autosurrender at 100% warscore, but it usually takes a couple weeks for that to trigger.

If you have autopause on battle/siege ending, it's still pretty trivial since in 99% of cases involving rebels, it will be one final decisive action that puts you at 100% warscore.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Shawon Dunston posted:

If you have autopause on battle/siege ending, it's still pretty trivial since in 99% of cases involving rebels, it will be one final decisive action that puts you at 100% warscore.

There's an autopause setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Next time a battle/siege ends, look for a tiny envelope button in the lower right corner of the pop-up. It'll give you a new pop-up where you can change the settings for that kind of message, including pausing the game.

I didn't discover this until recently either, and it makes war so much easier. This really should be a default.

• Locked thread