Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

That is incorrect, except in very rare cases of certain combo decks. The most lopsided fair deck mana-wise (Thresh) runs 8 fetches, 6 targets. Most decks planning on going past turn 3 will run 8-10 fetches in 20-23 lands.

not every deck runs exactly double the fetches, but many decks run more fetches than there are targets. its not rare cases of certain combo decks at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Luis Scott-Vargas ‏@lsv 5m
I'm overwhelmingly in favor of the changes to Magic/Standard, and wrote an article about them that's going up on @ChannelFireball tonight.

Seems good.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Game itself isn't changing, don't care.

(Although Blood/Sweat/Tears/Fears is cute. What's the small set after "Barrel", I wonder? "Monkeys"?)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah it actually is monkeys.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As demonstrated by this graph, R&D was running out of three word code names and switched to this structure solely to do two word code names. Avoided a bullet there, I say.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Rinkles posted:

So Tarkir's draft structure actually acts as a transition into the new 2 set paradigm.

I think this is really exciting! 2 sets a years sounds amazing.

Yeah I just realized that, it means JOU/BNG/THS is the last environment ever with three sets drafted together.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
So every large set will be in standard for 18 months, and every small set will be in for 15. That's the same amount of time spring sets stay in standard now, and did anybody feel like Rise of the Eldrazi or Avacyn Restored didn't get enough time to shine?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This is also a lot better for limited, too. Full-block limited environments are really unfocused.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I don't think I've ever seen a MTG-related announcement that's gotten such a unanimously-positive response. It's been 30 minutes on Reddit and no one has said it's going to kill Magic yet!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So full block draft is always going to be "Big Big Small." But will last longer?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Also, I found it interesting that Maro dropped this and never came back to it in the article:

Maro posted:

This led to the next rather radical proposal—what if we got rid of the core set? As I explained above, the core set has had a split identity problem for years, and it was only getting worse. What if we used the summer slot for the small set for the second block? This would mean we'd have to solve the problem of what to do with new players, but there had already been talk of creating a product line solely for them, anyway.

So in addition to the two 2-set blocks each year, there may be some kind of supplemental product for new players? I'm curious where they go with this.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

So every large set will be in standard for 18 months, and every small set will be in for 15. That's the same amount of time spring sets stay in standard now, and did anybody feel like Rise of the Eldrazi or Avacyn Restored didn't get enough time to shine?

Rise could have used more time.

gently caress AVR with a rusty hatchet....If it wasn't random wins off a Miracle'd Bonfire, it was blinking Thragtusks and Acidic Slimes with Restoration Angel. Not to mention the drudgery that was AVR limited.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm impressed, this is a pretty big change that seems to be getting massively positive reactions from huge nerds. Probably because it doesn't actually affect gameplay at all. This change is great and fosters everyone's ADD.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

As a mainly standard player I am deeply conflicted about this. On one hand I appreciate what they are trying to do, with making standard less stale, making sets less boring in terms of storyline and flavor and generally getting rid of the awful core sets (though I did like M15), but the skeptic in me is just thinking that the 18 months rather the 24 months rotation time is just something to make more money off standard. It probably will also increase the difficulty of people getting into standard due to fearing cards will be rotated out before they can be properly used. Also, How many times have people said "xyz card will be good post rotation"? It means a lot of cool cards released in these sets won't have time to shine before they are rotated out or am I just missing the big picture for all of this?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nibble posted:

Also, I found it interesting that Maro dropped this and never came back to it in the article:

So in addition to the two 2-set blocks each year, there may be some kind of supplemental product for new players? I'm curious where they go with this.

I think its supposed to be Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Attorney at Funk posted:

This is also a lot better for limited, too. Full-block limited environments are really unfocused.

Boo. I didn't like it when they reduced the set size (limited gets more predictable and boring) and now they're going even further in that direction. And now we don't get super standard anymore! Eh, whatever, I hardly play standard anyway.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
New Block structure? Not bad. No core set? After the fun that was M15? Well, if that's the price that must be paid.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Was being hella cynical about how much the hype had taken off for this article. Welp, shows me, this is kind of big news.

Being the card casual/flavour nut that I am, I really really hope that Wizards follows up on that thing about hiring more Creative members to deal with the faster set changes. They already seem quite hard pressed, especially when it comes to the meatier stuff like the books, so it'll go badly if they don't step up the staffing tout suite.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Samael posted:

As a mainly standard player I am deeply conflicted about this. On one hand I appreciate what they are trying to do, with making standard less stale, making sets less boring in terms of storyline and flavor and generally getting rid of the awful core sets (though I did like M15), but the skeptic in me is just thinking that the 18 months rather the 24 months rotation time is just something to make more money off standard. It probably will also increase the difficulty of people getting into standard due to fearing cards will be rotated out before they can be properly used. Also, How many times have people said "xyz card will be good post rotation"? It means a lot of cool cards released in these sets won't have time to shine before they are rotated out or am I just missing the big picture for all of this?

But they aren't going to be printing more standard legal cards... This could actually drive down standard card prices on the secondary markets.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

mcmagic posted:

So full block draft is always going to be "Big Big Small." But will last longer?

If they keep the release schedule roughly the same, it'll last just as long as, say, BNG/THS/THS did already. But instead of moving on to JOU/BNG/THS, you'd move straight to the next block instead.

Basically if I understand correctly, the next couple years of draft environments will look like this, with each being the primary draft format for roughly the same amount of time (~3 months?):

Khans/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Louie/Louie
M16/M16/M16
Blood/Blood/Blood
Sweat/Blood/Blood
Tears/Tears/Tears
Fears/Tears/Tears

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

I dunno, I liked full Theros block draft better than BTT or TTT v:shobon:v

Veyrall posted:

New Block structure? Not bad. No core set? After the fun that was M15? Well, if that's the price that must be paid.

As far as limited goes, I've never been a huge fan of the core sets. M13 being the one huge exception.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nibble posted:

If they keep the release schedule roughly the same, it'll last just as long as, say, BNG/THS/THS did already. But instead of moving on to JOU/BNG/THS, you'd move straight to the next block instead.

Basically if I understand correctly, the next couple years of draft environments will look like this, with each being the primary draft format for roughly the same amount of time (~3 months?):

Khans/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Louie/Louie
M16/M16/M16
Blood/Blood/Blood
Sweat/Blood/Blood
Tears/Tears/Tears
Fears/Tears/Tears

Shouldn't this be Louie/Louie/Louie?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hopefully this results in more classic mechanics being stuck into blocks now that they can't shove them into core sets as an afterthought. (They seem to avoid the more complex ones since it's supposed to be a "beginner" product.)

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Nibble posted:

It could be increasing the Commander/Arch Enemy number of releases during the year or upgraded Deckbuilders Toolbox

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

But they aren't going to be printing more standard legal cards... This could actually drive down standard card prices on the secondary markets.

It may do that, I agree, I am also hoping that the shorter rotation time gives them a bit more lee-way into reprinting cards that won't completely break the format and are hard to get for more eternal formats.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mcmagic posted:

It should be Louie/Louie/Dewey.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

Nope. This isn't like ROE/AVR, this is a new thing.

EDIT: Although I'm not sure about the order so Kabanaw's probably right.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'm generally in favor of the changes, but I'm trying to figure out if this will impact me as a retailer (I own a LGS). Going from four big sales spikes a year to only two...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Man, I'm sure going to miss great third sets like Prophecy, Fifth Dawn, Saviors of Kamigawa, Alara Reborn, Avacyn Restored, and Dragon's Maze.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm generally in favor of the changes, but I'm trying to figure out if this will impact me as a retailer (I own a LGS). Going from four big sales spikes a year to only two...

There's still four sets a year coming out, just instead of a 3 block set and a core set it's two blocks of two sets per year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

So Dewey gets drafted twice with two different big sets. Interesting.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Zonekeeper posted:

There's still four sets a year coming out, just instead of a 3 block set and a core set it's two blocks of two sets per year.

Unless I'm completely mis-reading it, there is one Fall set and one Spring set every year now.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Nibble posted:

Khans/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Khans/Khans
Dewey/Louie/Louie
M16/M16/M16
Blood/Blood/Blood
Sweat/Blood/Blood
Tears/Tears/Tears
Fears/Tears/Tears

This is what I want to understand... I think I need another one of those sweet animated gifs WOTC seem to have got good at doing.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I for one, welcome our new block formats, with the following concerns:

1. This format does nothing to increase availability of chase rares in small sets. Blood still gets (per draft) 3 months of 3 packs opened + 3 months of 2 packs opened, while Sweat gets 3 months of 1 pack opened. This is what I call the Jace, The Mind Sculptor issue (because as we all know, the biggest problem with Jace was that there weren't enough floating around).

2. I actually really liked having the core set around because it was a prime source of reprints that didn't really fit in anywhere else, and its actually pretty exciting to see multiple cards that you liked reprinted in the same set. Whether you liked Mutavault or not, having it show up in M15 was good for modern, and there is no other expert expansion it would have fit in since Lorwyn. Tribal was a thing in Innistrad but it would have been hard to flavor shoe-horn it in there.

3. Having a card be standard legal for 18 (15 for small?) months is a real kick in the balls. Not for me, because I play limited and haven't had a standard deck since Innistrad/Scars, but I can sympathize with someone trying to build a standard deck for 2 years now having that cut down even further.

4. Finally I hope Wizards reserves plans to keep the same world in tact for 2 blocks. Zendikar would have been awesome if it was 2 blocks of ZEN/WWK and then ROE/ROE2 with a connected world, storyline, and 1 or 2 connected mechanics.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Man, we get to change worlds more often now, stories progress faster. Plus we still get Commander, etc for our dumb little "Hey here's a random Zendikar duder" we were getting in the core sets. I am 100% behind this change.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Unless I'm completely mis-reading it, there is one Fall set and one Spring set every year now.

There's a fall and spring rotation.

Check this gif, there's 4 sets per year:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Block. Of two sets. I don't own a store but I should hope small sets also constitute a sales spike?

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You are completely misreading, there will be two different 2 set blocks each year, with the big set coming out in the fall/spring and the small set coming out in the winter/summer.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kabanaw posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure about that, whether "newest set first" or "small set first" won out. Either way, Khans block draft is divided so all three sets are never drafted together.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. If by "four big sales spikes" you mean set releases, there are still four sets being released each year. The difference is that the large fall set that introduces a new block, which is traditionally the one players get most excited for, will happen again in the spring now. So instead of one brand-new block, you get two per year, which should be good for business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Don't the core sets sell pretty badly compared to blocks?

• Locked thread