Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

I've got a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950) that I'd like to root mainly because I want to uninstall Virgin Mobile's bloatware. I think that's probably taking up a lot of space and slowing it down. It has Android 4.1.2 but it looks like SuperOneClick is for 2.3 and earlier. What should I use instead to root my phone?

EDIT: I tried Minstro and Poot, but I get errors. Poot says:

quote:

2012 giantpune
[-] can't get a handle on it: -1 Permission denied
A demon materialized while pooting. Errot code: 18
su binary was not written

Gary2863 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Definitely use toolkits. Got it. Thanks guys.

I backed up appdata with helium/carbon by using the server method. The process seemed a little wonky, so I did it several times to get multiple backups. Now that I'm trying to recover it back to the phone, it's telling me that the file is bad. Anybody else have this problem?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gary2863 posted:

I've got a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950) that I'd like to root mainly because I want to uninstall Virgin Mobile's bloatware. I think that's probably taking up a lot of space and slowing it down. It has Android 4.1.2 but it looks like SuperOneClick is for 2.3 and earlier. What should I use instead to root my phone?

EDIT: I tried Minstro and Poot, but I get errors. Poot says:
Even if you uninstall the Virgin Mobile apps, you won't get any additional space as they are in the system partition which you don't have access to. Can you disable the apps in Settings > Apps?

Zenzirouj posted:

Definitely use toolkits. Got it. Thanks guys.

I backed up appdata with helium/carbon by using the server method. The process seemed a little wonky, so I did it several times to get multiple backups. Now that I'm trying to recover it back to the phone, it's telling me that the file is bad. Anybody else have this problem?
I've heard of it happening (I've never used Helium myself). All Helium is a wrapper for ADB backup but I don't know enough about ADB backup to tell you anything other than I've heard that sometimes things fail to restore when using it. I'm sorry, because of course you know there's not going to be much you can do.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what format Helium stores the data in but if you can find the .ab file you can restore it with:
code:
adb restore <file.ab>
Edit:

LastInLine posted:

Helium is a wrapper for ADB backup but I don't know enough about ADB backup
If you're interested, I wrote this down a while back when I needed it for a presentation:
code:
e.g. adb backup -all -apk -f <file.ab>
-f <filename> - sets the output path
-all / -packages <package_names> - whether to back up everything or specific packages (Helium uses this to control what is backed up)
-apk / -noapk - whether to include the APK or just data (default noapk)
-shared / -noshared - whether to include (pseudo-)sdcard contents (default noshared)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, I resigned myself to probably never getting that data back. Nothing earth-shattering, but my text messages and a couple of games' save files were mainly what I was after. I'll try poking around the file and using adb, though. Thanks!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This is a weird topic for the Android root thread but... has anyone used the jailbroken iOS app called Flex (or Flex 2, really)? It's some kind of super powerful app that will analyze every class and function in an apps code, and let you manually go through override the value of any process call or function of class. Like, if your app has a function called IsTitled, stored as a boolean, you can select it, and have the app force feed the value TRUE instead of whatever the actual answer would be.

It's like a piecemeal, do it yourself app patcher but intercepts function calls instead of permanently altering the app. It's incredibly powerful and lets you do all kinds of stuff.

As far as I can tell, nothing like this exists for Android. Or am I wrong?

I know Xposed bridge also works at the code level, able to intercept and mess with just about any code your phone executes. But as far as I know, there is no "do it yourself" module that allows you to patch apps. Its used more than anything to change things on the phone and not on specific apps. I know that the XPrivacy module (which i discussed like 2 pages back) can do stuff KINDA like this, wherein in can spoof the values RETURNED to apps when they call on info from the phone. But it doesn't actually let you interfere with an apps actual internal code.

Am I missing something, is there nothing like this for Android?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

I know Xposed bridge also works at the code level, able to intercept and mess with just about any code your phone executes. But as far as I know, there is no "do it yourself" module that allows you to patch apps. Its used more than anything to change things on the phone and not on specific apps.
I've never looked into the details of how it's done but Xposed can definitely be sued to modify functions within arbitrary apps. There are modules to make changes to the Google Now Launcher, for example. The "system" stuff that it is often used to modify are really just apps anyway.

Edit: You could also look at Cydia Substrate.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I figured Xposed COULD do it, but you gotta be pretty much a java master to write those modules. This app Flex just populates with every function and call and lets you scroll through them and see if any sound interesting and just say "hey make that true instead of false and lets see what happens".

I knew about Cydia but thought it was more like Xposed but maybe its not, gonna give it a shot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, right, there is nothing like that on Android, you gotta write code.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Running a rooted galaxy victory 4g, what can I use to safely move apps to sd? It is a version to low for app2sd to work.

The last time I moved something with a filemanager my sd card somehow got wiped.

Alt. how can I safely return my phone to default state to I can install the OTA update and let app2sd work. Clockwork recovery mod is still installed even if I use it to return to an earlier backup.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I flashed Cmod 11. It seems to be working fine, but it seems like I'm getting worse reception than I did on stock along with data seeming much worse. My research tells me this is because I need to update the radio file. So far I've found a radio file for 4.2.2: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/download-new-radios-from-galaxy-nexus-lte-4-2-2-update.238754/, but not one for 4.4.4. I also got these for installation instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/168996-radios-vzw-galaxy-nexus-radios-installation-guide.html. Should I keep trying to find a more recent radio file or would 4.2.2 work?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The radio files are all in the official factory images. The GSM GNex didn't get updated to 4.4 and the Verizon/Sprint version didn't even get 4.3 so you won't find a newer radio than that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
e- saved it

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 24, 2014

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Tunga posted:

The radio files are all in the official factory images. The GSM GNex didn't get updated to 4.4 and the Verizon/Sprint version didn't even get 4.3 so you won't find a newer radio than that.

Only the Verizon version got hosed with not getting 4.3, the Sprint variant got it back in October. Verizon is just the shittest carrier around.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Today, my notifications haven't been playing any sound. I use LightFlow for notification control, and the sound will play when I go in to change it, and the light works when I get a notification. I have made sure that my notification volume is up. If it matters, I have a Nexus 4 with Android 4.4.4 and GravityBox installed.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
I have a Verizon LG Enact and I recently upgraded to KitKat. I want to root my phone, but it isn't listed on the XDA forums and a one click program I tried about a month ago failed for me so I assumed my device couldn't be rooted yet. Today I came across a forum post suggesting a PC-less method using an app called Master Root, but the app looks pretty sketchy. So, what should I do to root my phone? I'm hoping there's something obvious you all know that I don't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I have a Verizon LG Enact and I recently upgraded to KitKat. I want to root my phone, but it isn't listed on the XDA forums and a one click program I tried about a month ago failed for me so I assumed my device couldn't be rooted yet. Today I came across a forum post suggesting a PC-less method using an app called Master Root, but the app looks pretty sketchy. So, what should I do to root my phone? I'm hoping there's something obvious you all know that I don't.
The first question I'd ask is why do you want to?

That being said, what's the worst that can happen?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

LastInLine posted:

The first question I'd ask is why do you want to?

That being said, what's the worst that can happen?

Why I want to: Removing Verizon bloatware apps (NFL Mobile :argh:), downgrading Chrome to the last version that didn't awkwardly cause certain tabs to no longer respond, lock screen customization.

The worst that could happen from using some Russian/Chinese/whatever app that promises rooting: All my personal data ends up being sent to someone who sells it to ISIS who uses it to run a false flag operation resulting in an early morning wake up call by the CIA.

I just wanna know what rooting process is gonna 1) work on my phone that XDA doesn't care about and 2) isn't something that the people who know more about this stuff than me would find dubious (I.e. the fine goons in this thread).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Why I want to: Removing Verizon bloatware apps (NFL Mobile :argh:), downgrading Chrome to the last version that didn't awkwardly cause certain tabs to no longer respond, lock screen customization.

The worst that could happen from using some Russian/Chinese/whatever app that promises rooting: All my personal data ends up being sent to someone who sells it to ISIS who uses it to run a false flag operation resulting in an early morning wake up call by the CIA.

I just wanna know what rooting process is gonna 1) work on my phone that XDA doesn't care about and 2) isn't something that the people who know more about this stuff than me would find dubious (I.e. the fine goons in this thread).

If XDA doesn't care about your phone it probably means nobody else does either. You're not going to have a good experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Well if you just want root to rename (not erase, as that will cause all future updates to fail) some APKs, then sure try running whatever exploit utilities you can find. Either they work and you can install a superuser.apk or they don't. It would seem if you're worried about data theft to simply do this after a factory reset and look at the app to see what exactly it does.

As nimper said though, that's as far as you'll get. If xda doesn't care, no one does, and you aren't going to find a custom recovery or a ROM to fix things that are broken (though this is a new phone, you shouldn't need to do that). Be aware that any future update is likely to break root and plug the root exploit so while you can do what you want to do in a way that allows for future updates, you probably won't be able to root the device in the future.

Also you can do the Chrome thing without root- just uninstall the updates and then uncheck the option in the Play Store to automatically update it. That being said it's not like they don't regularly improve Chrome so there's always just waiting the 90 days for the next version.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Well if you just want root to rename (not erase, as that will cause all future updates to fail) some APKs, then sure try running whatever exploit utilities you can find.

Really? Removing apps like NFL mobile from a Verizon phone can cause the operating system to stop working? poo poo, I was hoping to finally have more than ~200 MB of internal storage free. I remember on my last phone that after I'd rooted I could use something to trick the phone into using an SD card partition as additional internal storage. Was looking forward to not having to juggle app installations whenever I wanted to update something.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Really? Removing apps like NFL mobile from a Verizon phone can cause the operating system to stop working? poo poo, I was hoping to finally have more than ~200 MB of internal storage free. I remember on my last phone that after I'd rooted I could use something to trick the phone into using an SD card partition as additional internal storage. Was looking forward to not having to juggle app installations whenever I wanted to update something.
System apps are on the system partition, removing them won't gain you any usable space.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Tunga posted:

System apps are on the system partition, removing them won't gain you any usable space.

That's incredibly disappointing to hear. Is there a way to add to the internal storage partition with my SD card without rooting, then? Or am I going to have to try every exploit app I can find and cross my fingers?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

That's incredibly disappointing to hear. Is there a way to add to the internal storage partition with my SD card without rooting, then? Or am I going to have to try every exploit app I can find and cross my fingers?

Live and learn. Non-flagship Android phones tend to have terrible issues like this, doubly so when it's a completely ignored niche like a hardware keyboard phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

The problem is that your phone is a year old budget model with a keyboard which means you are one of three people to own one. There won't be a reliable root method, an apps2SD solution, and any ROM that might exist for it almost certainly be a shitheap of bugs.

Sorry.

The number of good budget Android phones can be listed on one hand finger (the Moto G).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

You are talking about resizing the partitions which is a lot more in depth than just rooting. Since your phone isn't supported by XDA, I don't think you'll be able to get what you want out of this. How new is the phone, still with in the return date?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Besides, the thing supposedly has 8GB of storage, probably 4ish available to the user? Why do you only have 200mb free? Move media to an SD card, uninstall apps you don't use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

The number of good budget Android phones can be listed on one hand finger (the Moto G).
That's not fair, there's also the Moto E.

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

You could maybe do some sort of symlink hackery to make your SD card part of the internal storage but given your level of expertise and the poo poo phone you have, it's never going to be anywhere near a livable long term solution. It doesn't help that it hasn't been a thing that's been necessary to do since 2010 so none of the tools to implement it have been touched since Gingerbread.

The solution is to never buy stupid one-off phones. Even if you do this:

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

That isn't the end of your problems, it's the beginning. You're still going to have to figure out how to do what you want. You won't find a recovery so you can't flash ROMs or any zip files. I've never seen an A2SD solution work without needing to flash something although let's say you crack one open and make all the framework modifications manually and somehow (???) get it working. You've still got the complaints you had about the lockscreen (you'd probably need a modified ROM for this) and you're still stuck on a lovely device that now you've pretty much broken because you lack any way to back it up and restore without a custom recovery.

You are hosed if you try this. Learn to live with it and don't buy lovely devices in the future is the best advice you can take.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

deong posted:

How new is the phone, still with in the return date?

I got the phone about a year ago. I've had almost no problems with it until very recently and I figured I could get root and start to fix some of these problems. Guess not though.

RVProfootballer posted:

Besides, the thing supposedly has 8GB of storage, probably 4ish available to the user? Why do you only have 200mb free? Move media to an SD card, uninstall apps you don't use.

According to the app manager I actually have 2.85 GB free to use. I just finished purging all the apps I don't use regularly (a yard sale app, a file manager, zarchiver, some old games, etc) but I'm only up to 600MB free. I guess it'll do, along with the other suggestions made above, but I'm still not thrilled to be unable to use all the free space on my SD card. That'll show me not to buy the most popular phone in the store! :eng99:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
So my roommate recently got a Kindle Fire HD, and I've been trying to root it using the guide here. I went through all the backups, restores, and got past the final reboot, but the device still isn't rooted. Am I missing anything, or is there another way to go about this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

That'll show me not to buy the most popular phone in the store! :eng99:

Sometimes the "most popular" is also the one with the worst user experience but people don't figure this out until after they buy it. So you have the popular phones with robust XDA communities because the phone hardware is awesome but the software is lovely (see, e.g. any Samsung device).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also I really doubt that phone was the most popular anything, but sales staff will tell you anything to make a sale.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's not fair, there's also the Moto E.
I don't really consider that to be a good choice. It's hardly any cheaper than the non-LTE Moto G and you get worse performance. I think it's hard to justify. But you're right that it's still better than any of the ten million shitphones Samsung have pooped out of a plastic mould in the last five years.

Edit: Hurr I'm dumb and meant to edit this into that post, kill me.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tunga posted:

Also I really doubt that phone was the most popular anything, but sales staff will tell you anything to make a sale.

I think he was saying that he should have bought the most popular phone, not whatever was the cheapest piece of crap he could get his hands on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I don't really consider that to be a good choice. It's hardly any cheaper than the non-LTE Moto G and you get worse performance. I think it's hard to justify. But you're right that it's still better than any of the ten million shitphones Samsung have pooped out of a plastic mould in the last five years.

Edit: Hurr I'm dumb and meant to edit this into that post, kill me.
It's a great choice for the person budget smartphones are meant for: the user wanting to leave a feature phone but who isn't going to use a smartphone. For them, even the Moto G is overkill.

It has a place, and I'd argue a very important one. It really doesn't overlap with the Moto G at all when you look at it from the perspective of who it's targeting.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

nimper posted:

I think he was saying that he should have bought the most popular phone, not whatever was the cheapest piece of crap he could get his hands on.

Actually, I just really like having a physical keyboard. I mean, this isn't the best phone, but it's far from the cheapest piece of crap I could've gotten at the time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Actually, I just really like having a physical keyboard. I mean, this isn't the best phone, but it's far from the cheapest piece of crap I could've gotten at the time.

Yeah, you're not going to be able to get a good hardware keyboard phone for the foreseeable future. If you want a good phone, you'll have to ditch that keyboard. The good news is you probably won't miss it, whereas the advantages to getting a flagship phone (much better display, better camera, lower weight, etc.) are tough to miss.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I've been doing a bit of looking around online to see if I am able to root my phone. There seem to be just as many places that say yes as there are that say no. I have a AT&T Moto X with firmware 4.4.4 installed. Is a root something I am able to do? If anyone here has done it in the past, if they can point me to the program/method they used it'd be appreciated.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Learn to love Swype/Android keyboard's version of Swype. Physical keyboards died years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Learn to love Swype/Android keyboard's version of Swype. Physical keyboards died years ago.

I know him in real life and he used a touch screen only phone and Swype for years before he went on a physical keyboard kick. The cactuar moves in mysterious ways.

Now he's learned his lesson and the thread may move on.