Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How petulant would I be if I declared that all VMs in all environments now go through me? You come to me with the VM you want to create, you describe it, and I will tell you what specs to give it. That way I can stop seeing full datastores and WSUS boxes with 16GB of memory. I've been waiting for people to learn but my god they're just not going to.

If you are the VM admin, I'm surprised you aren't already doing it that way. Never give your users free reign to create VMs or SAN storage themselves, because at least some of them will assume that virtual = free and take way more than they need. Hell, I have access to create VMs and I work on the same team as our VM admin, but I still check with him before I create stuff to make sure he can spare the resources and space.

If you have a chronic problem with resource over-provisioning and your customers are in other departments or business units with their own budgets, chargebacks are a pretty good way to reinforce the fact that just because it's a VM, it's not free. People are a lot less eager to demand several times the resources they need when that extra memory and space is going to siphon a big chunk of money out of of their budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dennyk posted:

Never give your users free reign to create VMs or SAN storage themselves
No these are professional system administrators. :cry:

We're going to have a meeting about it on Monday. I'm going to go with the "I'm not mad at anyone but we need to understand that a SQL box in test which houses a single database does not need 16GB of memory" approach.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We're going to have a meeting about it on Monday. I'm going to go with the "I'm not mad at anyone but we need to understand that a SQL box in test which houses a single database does not need 16GB of memory" approach.

Is it causing problems or directly costing money though?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

baquerd posted:

The filling of datastores causes massive problems. 16GB of memory allocated to a server which will never use more than 2GB just makes me think you're stupid.

I'm going to go shopping with my wife now, so that I can stress about price tags rather than work.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

baquerd posted:

A datastore that actually fills up will take down every VM on that datastore, so that's a pretty big problem. As for memory and CPU resources in general, giving VMs significantly more than they need means that you will either have to overprovision those resources to a much greater than recommended degree (which will increase the risk of actually maxing out a resource on a physical host and causing issues with all of the VMs on it), or grow your physical environment sooner than you would have needed to otherwise, which isn't cheap.

Remember, every VM is using a chunk of an actual physical server than the company has to pay actual real money to buy, so in the end, building your VMs with too many resources is no different than wasting money buying a really powerful physical server to host an application that only requires a fraction of that horsepower.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've spent the last couple of months convincing people that any web projects (basic websites here, PHP+MySQL type stuff) for clients should really be dumped on our reseller hosting account so we can partition the costs up, and also because it's cheap.

But nope, every time I log into our Azure console there's another website instance and database spun up, placed in the wrong geographic region, and then upgraded to an expensive instance because they used up the transfer limits on the cheaper one. I've tried to at least get people to bring up extra sites on the same dedicated instances but nope, new one every time, until someone wonders why we're spending £300+ a month to host some websites for one-off events that ended weeks ago.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The filling of datastores causes massive problems. 16GB of memory allocated to a server which will never use more than 2GB just makes me think you're stupid.

I'm going to go shopping with my wife now, so that I can stress about price tags rather than work.

You need a new gig, duder. Your posts have been getting more and more stressed out lately.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How petulant would I be if I declared that all VMs in all environments now go through me? You come to me with the VM you want to create, you describe it, and I will tell you what specs to give it. That way I can stop seeing full datastores and WSUS boxes with 16GB of memory. I've been waiting for people to learn but my god they're just not going to.

If you understand that it will mean extra work for you in the short term, and you can actually pull it off, I'd say go for it.

I currently dream of a world where software engineers don't have root on prod, so I feel your pain.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off: Yesterday I got to see all of my code work for the first time with everybody else's code. :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GOOCHY posted:

You need a new gig, duder. Your posts have been getting more and more stressed out lately.
I want so bad to finish this or that cert before I leave because generally my workload is lighter than other jobs, and I work from home which is a HUGE bonus, but yeah that pendulum is starting to swing pretty violently.

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: Yesterday I got to see all of my code work for the first time with everybody else's code. :allears:
That is very cool.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 24, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

And so begins the Great Debugging and Assignments of Blame!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Microsoft DPM is currently a thing that pisses me off. If we switch to AppAssure, is that going to be the thing that pisses me off?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Don't you hate it when some jerk replies-all to a huge message with a blank reply?

I sure do, because today that jerk was me. I somehow managed to butt-reply-all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Yay, a 5 hour drive to replace a switch, can't wait. Provided someone gives me the ability to write to usb drives again so I can load the new firmware onto a flash drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Buncha poo poo down this morning. AS/400 geezer is gone for the week on vacation (he's really just sitting at home)

Narrowed it down to a php.ini problem, missing the libraries to connect to DB2. hosed with it for a while and then finally called him, he calls back. "The php.ini file gets overwritten all the time. I have to copy it from here and then restart ZENDSRV."

Ugh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm getting a fourth boss. My original boss will be doing higher level work now so they're slotting someone in between him and my second boss. Now they're confused about whether my second boss should do my reviews or the newest boss. All four bosses (the HR VP is the last one) will provide feedback for my review and set my goals. Having a fourth person that doesn't have a drat clue about what I do or my value to the company should be delightful.

EDIT: Last week a regional director reports his laptop being slow. After troubleshooting it sounds like the hard drive's dying. I prep a replacement for him that day but he won't reply to my requests for what location to ship it to. He travels alot. Thursday comes and he finally replies and tells me to hold the laptop because he'll be in L.A. Monday. Awesome.

This morning I get an email from him in Northern California: "What are we doing about my laptop?"

:argh:

His plans changed and he didn't tell me. Fine. I tell him I'll FedEx the laptop for tomorrow morning, and then he starts sweating me that it has to be there by 10am because he's flying to another city and MUST have his replacement. I offer to send it to his destination city but he declines, so I have to send it to where he is now and hope he doesn't gently caress this up and blame it on me.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 25, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
What's the quote about having four bosses?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Your job just sounds super.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RadicalR posted:

What's the quote about having four bosses?

Something something cover sheet TPS reports?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_Yi-1Ryf4

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

Microsoft DPM is currently a thing that pisses me off. If we switch to AppAssure, is that going to be the thing that pisses me off?

If($backupsoftware)
{
$pissedoff=$true
}

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I looked into AppAssure when they made their first big release after being bought out by Dell. Everybody I talked to told me that Dell really turned their product into crap, so YMMV.

Also, incredibly pushy sales reps.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The decision has been made and like a cheap bottle of wine I'm being passed off again to another boss. I'll report directly to the new guy. Who else reports directly to him? My last boss! So she and I are now on the same tier of the org chart, and all of us are under my first boss.

The new boss is absolutely humorless so I'll have to work hard to curtail that side of my personality.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Dick Trauma posted:

The decision has been made and like a cheap bottle of wine I'm being passed off again to another boss. I'll report directly to the new guy. Who else reports directly to him? My last boss! So she and I are now on the same tier of the org chart, and all of us are under my first boss.

The new boss is absolutely humorless so I'll have to work hard to curtail that side of my personality.

Or you could invest that energy into not working at a place that is measurably killing you every single day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh I started looking back in April when things went crazy. I'm just looking to minimize my pain until I can get out of here.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Working in IT thread: Just minimize the pain.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

Working in IT thread: Just minimize the pain.

I'm still a fan of, "No, dig up, stupid."

(I know you aren't digging, DT.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

More bathroom talk:

There's someone on this floor who is a special snowflake that can't touch that icky bathroom door because euh what if people don't wash their hands!!! So they use a paper towel to open the door. And then they throw that paper towel on the floor. Sometimes inside the bathroom, and sometimes outside the bathroom. Like right there in the hallway, by the elevators, first thing you see when you get onto the floor. Building management has put up signs saying 'please consider others and put trash into the trash bin' etc etc. No effect.

Dear special snowflakes:
Like 99% of institutional doors, the bathroom doors are a mix of nickel, copper, and brass over a base metal. The antibacterial properties of these metals has a 99.9% kill rate on bacteria, and anywhere from 75%-99.9% on the majority of communicable viruses. That freakin door handle is probably less organically active than any other surface in the bathroom, including the sink fixtures which are stainless steel and germ magnets.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A smart setup would be to put a trash can near the door.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hire an intern to sit staring at that door until the person does it again and publicly shame them?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Smear hand gel on the handle.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Smear poo poo on the handle.

e: someone will, eventually

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Smear hand gel on the handle.

Hand gel doesn't kill norovirus very well actually, soap and water works a lot better. And it's always norovirus that spreads like wildfire around the office since people are stupids when it comes to staying home when they're sick.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A smart setup would be to put a trash can near the door.

This. gently caress touching bathroom doors, and gently caress places that don't put a trash can within easy reach of the last door I have to pull to open on my way out (although I will at least make an effort to properly dispose of my paper towel somewhere else, even if I have to carry it for a bit; just dropping it on the floor is pretty dumb).

It's pretty much a guarantee that a good number of your coworkers don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, so not only are you getting 25% of their nasty flu germs (which is still enough to get you sick next time you rub your eyes or something), you're also basically grabbing all their dicks and/or sticking your finger between their rear end cheeks by proxy. (Also, if you touch anything at all in the bathroom after washing your hands, you're doing it wrong; that's what the paper towels are for...)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dennyk posted:

This. gently caress touching bathroom doors, and gently caress places that don't put a trash can within easy reach of the last door I have to pull to open on my way out (although I will at least make an effort to properly dispose of my paper towel somewhere else, even if I have to carry it for a bit; just dropping it on the floor is pretty dumb).

Personally, I lick my hand before and after opening bathroom doors. Saliva dissolves food so it should dissolve other things too I figure. Also, I have an immune system that's been trained to Rambo levels of effectiveness by now.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
WHY AREN'T COMPUTERS FASTER?!?!

I'm channeling the spirit of management and the executive team. We need to emergency deploy some code, and the developers have put in a herculean effort to get this patch put together. Plaudits all around. If any of them walk down a hallway without being showered with rose petals tomorrow, someone has screwed up.

But apparently, to some leadership on this conference call, the build is not being done fast enough. Why is this taking so long? This is affecting production!!!

Oh my bad let me just remove the restrictor plate...

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
You guys using paper towels to avoid touching anything in the bathroom might want to consider what's on nearby public fixtures: the next door down the corridor, the water cooler, the elevator button, the handrail in the stairwell.

All of these are likely to be dirtier than the bathroom door because people put their fingers in surprising places whether they're in the bathroom or not.

I'm all for hygiene, but you can't wrap yourself in a bubble and attempting to do so is probably compromising your ability to build up immunities, making you more likely to be ill in the long run.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rolleyes posted:

I'm all for hygiene, but you can't wrap yourself in a bubble and attempting to do so is probably compromising your ability to build up immunities, making you more likely to be ill in the long run.

This is true as a broad statement but proper hand washing with soap and water followed by attempting to not immediately re-contaminate your hands with literal poo poo does not constitute "wrapping yourself in a bubble." It is a basic precaution to avoid the worst of the creepycrawlies, and if I never get Norovirus or any other cause of "food poisoning" again it will be too soon. I'll take an immune system compromised to that extent, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

luminalflux posted:

Hand gel doesn't kill norovirus very well actually, soap and water works a lot better. And it's always norovirus that spreads like wildfire around the office since people are stupids when it comes to staying home when they're sick.

Oh hai check this poo poo out special snowflakes
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130909201248.htm
"Copper destroys highly infectious norovirus"

Turns out the oligodynamic effect works there too. That copper/nickel/brass door handle will kill more norovirus than all your napkin holdin and scrubbin.

Also don't google the oligodynamic effect because it'll just lead you into colloidal silver crazytown. It just works okay, but probably not in your bloodstream.