Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
So how exactly do people doxx people? I get that you can Google someone's username and find everything associated with it relatively easily, but how the hell are people finding bank account info and SSN's? :psyduck:

That's not generally something advertised by Facebook accounts let alone generally put on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

*nods respectfully towards you*

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Pawn 17 posted:

For sure. Although, I think it might actually be more difficult to do in powerpoint if you can imagine that.

It wasn't difficult for her at all because she didn't do the coding, 2 separate people did.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

horriblePencilist posted:

It wasn't difficult for her at all because she didn't do the coding, 2 separate people did.

"Coding"

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Contra Calculus posted:

So how exactly do people doxx people? I get that you can Google someone's username and find everything associated with it relatively easily, but how the hell are people finding bank account info and SSN's? :psyduck:

That's not generally something advertised by Facebook accounts let alone generally put on the internet.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Contra Calculus posted:

I assume because people have been less than judicious about what information they put online which has allowed them to find real names, addresses, telephone numbers and other information which could be used to socially engineer all kinds of information about someone.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
*smokes weed towards you*

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

captain poopfister posted:

*smokes weed towards you*

*inhales*

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think most of the time people are doxxed its because of their own stupidity. Like when aatrek was "doxxed" everyone was asking why it wasn't discovered earlier since his real name, username and photo were all on some star trek fan site.

In this case it involved hacking but also a lot of stupidity.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wouldn't surprise me if many of these people end up keeping their passwords, bank account details and SSN's in .txt files in cloud storage like Dropbox so they can keep easy access to it wherever they have WiFi. Not being a hacker, or intelligent, I would imagine that gaining access to a Dropbox is on the easy side if you can guess the email they used to register, and they might even be able to identify ways of getting in through the unique IDs generated in the URLs of a linked image or something.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

client posted:

im still lolling that abe tried to troll a 12 year-old and wound up inadvertently propositioning a child for sex

one of the former fyad weird twitter woman who asked for the 13 year old's dick pic is getting owned by reddit over it now after she called the zoe quinn thing "virtual rape" unironically and having a meltdown over twitter.

this has been a good week

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

You can't get into my email when even I don't know what I put for the security question :coolfish:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
It's such a bummer that "We need to talk, Moot" tweet was fake. I don't want to wait like 10 years for Zoe to get off her rear end and launch Rebel Jam and see how it plays out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

big duck equals goose posted:

I hope abe tweets these guys with anger and gets some neckbeard to tweet about stabbing Totilo in the dick with a knife.

Is this the same Abe that drew those pictures of women with limbs sawed off and used as toilets or whatever?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

im still lolling that abe tried to troll a 12 year-old and wound up inadvertently propositioning a child for sex

lol what?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Dizz posted:

Is this the same Abe that drew those pictures of women with limbs sawed off and used as toilets or whatever?

that was axemaniac

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The admin of the CWCwiki has chosen… unwisely.

Erata posted:

It's such a bummer that "We need to talk, Moot" tweet was fake. I don't want to wait like 10 years for Zoe to get off her rear end and launch Rebel Jam and see how it plays out.

Launching Rebel Jam? The only thing we know about it is that it's something Zoe said she wants to do and that all funds go to her personal PayPal.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Dizz posted:

That was axemaniac

efb

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Dizz posted:

The more i read, the more freaky SA becomes.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Launching Rebel Jam? The only thing we know about it is that it's something Zoe said she wants to do and that all funds go to her personal PayPal.
Yup.
Yeah it's probably going to mysteriously launch soon after the Young Capitalists jam does, or talks will begin on what they want to do, and languish in a planning phase forever.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

The Brown Menace posted:

that was axemaniac

My bad.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

please god kill us all

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

*nods respectfully towards you*

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this is a reminder that cogsdev is a self-admitted hikko man who pretends to be both a lesbian woman and her twin sister online and spent literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying anime figurines for a female ED admin he never met who lives on a different continent

those who live in glass basements shouldn't throw stones

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that out of all the sadbrains nerd tang these c-list "journalists" could have been trolling for, they settled for the one that reminds me of every fat white mom ever.

Truly, Oedipus lives in us all.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

falcon2424 posted:

Switch the genders and it'd work. Unfortunately, I think the current story goes against too many expectations to work.

The SJW-types could go for the philosophy. But you'd be asking them to accept a man's story of abuse. And you're saying that an internet-harassed woman is the villain. You might get away with one of those. But both seems like too much.

I'd expect the anti-SJW-types are less rigid about gender roles. But I can't see them going for the broad definition of 'informed consent' that you'd need for the argument.

It's too bad, since I think that would be an interesting piece to read. And the "can consent be contingent on implicit promises?" problem is interesting. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will write the thing.

Don't forget Zoe trying to screw over 3 charities for own personal gain.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Fluo posted:

Don't forget Zoe trying to screw over 3 charities for own personal gain.

THREE?! All I heard was the Young Capitalists jam taking flak while she celebrated its DDOS on twitter.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Take with a grain of salt, but hilarious if true.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

This is in no way surprising, and I believe it. People arguing that gaming journalism has been 'corrupted' by being too cosy with developers and publishers are simply kidding themselves, it's always been this way.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Erata posted:

THREE?! All I heard was the Young Capitalists jam taking flak while she celebrated its DDOS on twitter.
Seems I missed the word projects, so all 3 may have been Young Capitalists. :)

quote:

It turns out that Zoe has shut down at least 3 charity projects accusing them of being anti-feminist because more money going to charity related feminist projects means less money going to her scam.
She contacted a project helping girls who have no computer skills create video games and uses the money from those games to donate to charity. 8% of the money still goes to the girls who came up with the idea as well as royalties. However, according to Zoe Quinn, making chicks work for free for a charity is oppression.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Mister Fister posted:

hmmm an anonymous 4chan post that tells me exactly what I want to hear.

Also you don't need a supposed dude at reuters to tell you that, hardly news.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Couldn't you do the same thing in powerpoint by hyperlinking a bunch of slides to eachother?

One of the best descriptions I've read of Depression Quest was that you could literally print it out on sheets of paper and it would lose none of its playability.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I know we're all on the Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn, Adam Sessler suicide watch but what if people discover wizardchan corpses when they crack open their forgotten mancaves, do they count?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Erata posted:

Yup.
Yeah it's probably going to mysteriously launch soon after the Young Capitalists jam does, or talks will begin on what they want to do, and languish in a planning phase forever.

Which reminds me that Rebel Jam was announced as soon as that Game Jam sponsored by Pepsi crashed and burned. The same Game Jam that Zoe Quinn was in and she cashed by convincing everyone to leave.

Also this

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I made a hangman clone for a cs course in college, am I an indie dev now?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Fluo posted:

Seems I missed the word projects, so all 3 may have been Young Capitalists. :)

Also iFred, the charity she did donate money to and the charity that is linked to at the end of Depression Quest, pockets 88% of the donations. Only 12% actually goes to treat depression.

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

Also iFred, the charity she did donate money to and the charity that is linked to at the end of Depression Quest, pockets 88% of the donations. Only 12% actually goes to treat depression.

source?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
/v/ found some documents during the TFYC stream, lemme see if they still have them.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Aurain posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if many of these people end up keeping their passwords, bank account details and SSN's in .txt files in cloud storage like Dropbox so they can keep easy access to it wherever they have WiFi

Well they'd have to be loving morons to store that kind of information in a dropbox oh wait

https://twitter.com/renaudbedard/status/502819554347982848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Which reminds me that Rebel Jam was announced as soon as that Game Jam sponsored by Pepsi crashed and burned. The same Game Jam that Zoe Quinn was in and she cashed by convincing everyone to leave.

Also this

Thanks for the pastebin.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I made a hangman clone for a cs course in college, am I an indie dev now?

I made a sliders tunnel in that turtle program when I was in middle school, so I can do cutscenes.

• Locked thread