Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

So, ReindeerF, was that you? ;)
No, but the being friendly part and the joke about you being South African is my style. The being aggressive or caring about expensive scotch, on the other hand, is 100% not me. I'm the guy drinking a Beer Lao and complimenting you on sucking up to your English masters.

duckmaster posted:

he came over, loudly introduced himself in that American way
i.e. Being publicly friendly for no particular reason, something completely terrifying to the rest of the Anglosphere and most of Europe!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You know in Edinburgh now you can go on a, like, Disneyland-style barrel theme ride through the whisky-making process, with Scottish caricatures shouting things at you as you go.

Anyway, STUPID BANGKOK NEWBIE QUESTION INCOMING but why do the MRT and the BTS have different ticketing systems?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Because the BTS is run by the BMA (Bangkok-based authority) and the MRT is run by the SRT (state authority) and the two get payoffs from different people in addition to often being politically misaligned.

For more fun examples, note that the connecting stations where the BTS and MRT intersect are named different things based on what line they're on.

EDIT: We're supposed to get an Octopus card that will work across the MRT, BTS and ARL at some point, but that talk has been going on for years. Typically, things take a long time because whoever is in charge of tendering for each organization is always older and about to retire and won't sign a contract because he's afraid of corruption charges, so it always has to wait until a new guy comes in, signs everything and then starts not signing anything so he, too, can avoid corruption charges. This is why fully completed BTS stations sit dormant for years.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 25, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

For more fun examples, note that the connecting stations where the BTS and MRT intersect are named different things based on what line they're on.

I noticed that! And I figured it was something like your explanation, because naming them differently means actually making an effort to be difficult out of spite. I also noticed how at least with Asoke/Sukhumvit the stations aren't even physically connected despite being directly on top of one another.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

I noticed that! And I figured it was something like your explanation, because naming them differently means actually making an effort to be difficult out of spite. I also noticed how at least with Asoke/Sukhumvit the stations aren't even physically connected despite being directly on top of one another.
They're physically connected, you know, if you take the escalator up and walk over! My favorite conenction is the Makkasan ARL and Petchaburi MRT, which, until this year, meant walking about 500M to the road and then crossing the railroad tracks on foot. Now there's a super-long skybridge - and these two are owned by the same agency lolol.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The LIRR (serves Long Island and and a lot of Queens and the Bronx and those places north of the Bronx) is a different ticket from the subway in NYC. Which is also different from the PATH train (serves New Jersey but like 90% of the people on there are going to NYC). These trains sometimes have stops near each other that are poorly connected, sometimes they are well connected. Of the three only the subway has the meritorious virtue of being one flat rate for everywhere you go (the other two cost more the further you travel which is really dumb as it encourages people to not use it). There's also a little tramway that connects Manhattan to nearby Roosevelt Island that isn't connected to anything at all.

Still, without the BTS Bangkok would be a lot harder to love.

=====

We still don't have a Thailand emoticon do we. Who should cry on there anyway? Doreamon? Krut? Hanuman?

Probably the old man but then we'd be scared to use it.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

We still don't have a Thailand emoticon do we. Who should cry on there anyway? Doreamon? Krut? Hanuman?

Thaksin

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Of the three only the subway has the meritorious virtue of being one flat rate for everywhere you go (the other two cost more the further you travel which is really dumb as it encourages people to not use it). There's also a little tramway that connects Manhattan to nearby Roosevelt Island that isn't connected to anything at all.

The argument for distance based fare versus flat fare is not that cut and dried. Distance based fares actually are more cost effective and recuperate costs a lot faster than flat fare systems. Yes flat fare systems are easier to understand and administer but are less cost effective, decreases maximum ridership potential, hinders rail link growth.

The best compromise is a mixed use of distance based fares with some sort of transportation subsidy for those who live in the outskirts. Oh and add in a dose of heavy real estate development to turbo charge people moving in to fringe stops.

quote:

Still, without the BTS Bangkok would be a lot harder to love.

15 years ago, barely anyone used the BTS because it was extremely expensive. Don't think there were much fare hikes over time, I'm glad it's well used nowadays. But still, having it as an ugly sky train is not the most forward thinking idea. Lack of escalators and elevators, bad transfer terminals, ugh. #ModernTransporationComplaints

quote:

How about Hitler McDonald?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you ain't down with the flat fare you ain't down with the people

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Probably right...

How about Cambodia? Literally all I could come up with is Gary Glitter.

E: oh wait the Pirate Bay guy mebbe

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tell that to the people who live just outside the subway line. Oh right, there's not enough money for subway extension because the system is hemorrhaging money. Fare collection is not a mutually exclusive binary answer.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Probably right...

How about Cambodia? Literally all I could come up with is Gary Glitter.

E: oh wait the Pirate Bay guy mebbe
Hun Sen is the most obvious and only choice.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

15 years ago, barely anyone used the BTS because it was extremely expensive.
It was more a socialization/acculturation/infrastructure issue from what I gather.

It's gone up in price several times since then, but ridership has never been higher than now on the BTS - at its most expensive. At first, people didn't know what the gently caress to make of it, from what I hear. It cost 40 Baht to get across town and you stood on this thing that ran above people's heads and the bus works just fine anyway and God knows what all. As communities and things built up around the BTS it became more a part of regular life, with condos and shopping areas and venues opening at different stops. Hell, Siam Paragon, pretty much the anchor for Siam BTS Station, opened on my birthday in 2005 - I happened to be at the station. It's taken years of people and the city getting used to it for it to work like it does.

The MRT, frankly, just has a much less desirable catchment area. Part of the reason they keep the fares low is that they can't fill up the trains yet. That's going to change hugely once the new extensions out into Nonthaburi open up and the MRT becomes the suburban light rail line to the West the way the BTS is to the East.

EDIT: If you want to see a real planning disaster start reading up on the Airport Rail Link, with special notice to the Express Line and Makkasan Station.

EDIT EDIT: The Expressway System is probably a good analog for the BTS. At first people thought it was too expensive and so on, but it didn't take long for everyone to figure it out and now it's the reason that Bangkok is moderately navigable in traffic when compared to the other two SE Asian megacities (Jakarta and Manila - I refuse to count KL and Singapore! BS colonial fake cities!). Of course between then and now the Thai government basically stole the original expressway from the Germans and then built the rest of the network itself, which continues to this day, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Decided to give Robert Kaplan's new book on SE Asia a try. I knew it wasn't worth taking seriously when I read in the intro that "the GI's Saigon of pubs and go-go clubs is gone." Maybe he's trying to hide something from his wife.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"It's moved to another neighborhood, several in fact."

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

"It's moved to another neighborhood, several in fact."
The funny thing is that I don't think it has even moved that far if at all. Could be wrong though. Apocalypse Now is pretty close to some classic GI haunts anyway.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I actually don't know Saigon that well, though I have been to Apocalypse Now like a decade ago. It was not at all cool, heh.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

caberham posted:

Oh and any goons stopping over Hong Kong should post here or give me a shout. We throw goon welcome parties all the time for out of town folks. I think it's a nice city to lessen the initial "cultural shock"

I'll definitely be up for this in November. I'm currently planning a 4 week trip to SEA then and am looking at doing a stopover for a few days in either Singapore or Hong Kong before heading onto Thailand and Cambodia. Everything I'm reading seems like HK would be a better option for me - I'm big into the outdoors/good views, history, nightlife, and just experiencing things unique to an area.

Anyone have input on doing a 3-4 day stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong? Is it worth taking the ferry to Macau for a day to check out?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I actually don't know Saigon that well, though I have been to Apocalypse Now like a decade ago. It was not at all cool, heh.
Agreed not exactly the peak of the nightlife scene, however the absurd amount of security guards is hilarious as is the fact they close the place out by playing the Doors.

And Vietnamese bargirls are way more attractive than Thai bargirls, sorry but you know it's true.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

caberham posted:

Are you a Dutch goon? Dutch goons are fun crowd.

Oh and any goons stopping over Hong Kong should post here or give me a shout. We throw goon welcome parties all the time for out of town folks. I think it's a nice city to lessen the initial "cultural shock"

Belgium goon in fact. I've only got an 8 hour layover so I'll probably see if I can just quickly drop by the city, engorge myself on dim sum and visit a small gallery before passing out on my flight to Surabaya.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Boola posted:

I'll definitely be up for this in November. I'm currently planning a 4 week trip to SEA then and am looking at doing a stopover for a few days in either Singapore or Hong Kong before heading onto Thailand and Cambodia. Everything I'm reading seems like HK would be a better option for me - I'm big into the outdoors/good views, history, nightlife, and just experiencing things unique to an area.

Anyone have input on doing a 3-4 day stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong? Is it worth taking the ferry to Macau for a day to check out?
HK is always, always the better choice. It's like asking whether you should do a few days in New Orleans or Charlotte because they're both in the South. Hong Kong is a fantastic city. Singapore isn't horrible or anything, but your lasting impression will be, "Wow that was clean and orderly (minus the pooping Mainlanders)." HK is exploding with culture and food and amazing views and what not. Beirut or Dubai, guys, what do you think? Like that, heh.

Gail Wynand posted:

And Vietnamese bargirls are way more attractive than Thai bargirls, sorry but you know it's true.
I have no opinion on this topic. STOP DRAGGING DOWN ARE THRED INTO TEH GUTTAR U PEOPLEZ!!#@

gutter chat is reserved for the LINE group - .1 BAC required to join

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What's this about Vietnam bar girls? Please elaborate pimpdeerf

I'm caberham on line please add me

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Under no circumstances is caberham to be added to this group!!!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I'm gailwynand on line

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
gailwynand gets added

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Gail Wynand posted:

Ooooh gently caress yes!

(Also GO2 is the real seedy place in Saigon, I love it)

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

HK is always, always the better choice. It's like asking whether you should do a few days in New Orleans or Charlotte because they're both in the South. Hong Kong is a fantastic city. Singapore isn't horrible or anything, but your lasting impression will be, "Wow that was clean and orderly (minus the pooping Mainlanders)." HK is exploding with culture and food and amazing views and what not. Beirut or Dubai, guys, what do you think? Like that, heh.

That's what I figured (just not maybe to that extent), thanks for the input. HK it is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

Tell that to the people who live just outside the subway line. Oh right, there's not enough money for subway extension because the system is hemorrhaging money. Fare collection is not a mutually exclusive binary answer.

Money for subway extension has never and will never come from fares. The subway chiefly benefits central city businesses by making available a wider pool of workers, especially newly trained professionals who can't yet afford to pay rent "downtown" and support labor (reception, janitorial, police, nurses and other mid to low tier healthcare workers, street cleaners, food workers, the transport workers themselves -- all of whom will shift to jobs nearer to their home when/if able, partly because paying for 45 minutes on the subway isn't a privilege). Public transport is a public good and should be paid for mainly through taxation, which should be highly progressive.

Be down with the people maaaaaaan

Gail Wynand posted:

Decided to give Robert Kaplan's new book on SE Asia a try. I knew it wasn't worth taking seriously when I read in the intro that "the GI's Saigon of pubs and go-go clubs is gone." Maybe he's trying to hide something from his wife.

I went and read the NYT review of this book and it closes with the line "Poor Southeast Asia. So far from God, so close to China."

raton fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 25, 2014

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Gail Wynand posted:

How is it beyond that? I went to the launch event he held here in D.C. and it was awesome, as soon as they opened it up to questions from the crowd this furious Vietnamese lady got up and started haranguing him for being too easy on the Communists, and telling her life story about having to flee the country in 75 when she was a teenager and how dare he try to lump all Vietnamese together and she refused to give up the mic so Kaplan eventually had to cut her off by talking over her with "Yeah, we got it, are you gonna let me respond?" Didn't get much of a sense of the quality of the book though, is it worth reading?

e: oh and I'm back stateside from the Philippines. Pretty much everything Reindeer says about Manila is right. I love the country outside of the city, but god drat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

e: oh and I'm back stateside from the Philippines. Pretty much everything Reindeer says about Manila is right. I love the country outside of the city, but god drat.
I don't care who you are. I am a fun loving guy and I try hard to make any place fun, but Manila will stymie you whoever you are. When drinking Red Horse around tables full of red chairs with bad fried food is a highlight your city sucks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I got this LINE business as ChantillySay

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I don't care who you are. I am a fun loving guy and I try hard to make any place fun, but Manila will stymie you whoever you are. When drinking Red Horse around tables full of red chairs with bad fried food is a highlight your city sucks.

HOW DARE Y- oh yeah, you're right. :eng99:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It could be worse, you could be in like Kuala Lumpur or something.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SE Asia Megathread: Our Capitals Suck rear end

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It could be worse, you could be in like Kuala Lumpur or something.

Where got?!? KL got nice food.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Add me to line pls

Helloitskru

kru
Oct 5, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Where got?!? KL got nice food.

Aaaiiyooooo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Boola posted:

Echoing Reindeer but a few more things:

Depends on your airfare. Yeah Hong Kong is more fun, but a few days in Singapore is fine. Sing goons are nice people. You also have more LCC options to the rest of SEA compared to HK.

Fragrag posted:

Belgium goon in fact. I've only got an 8 hour layover so I'll probably see if I can just quickly drop by the city, engorge myself on dim sum and visit a small gallery before passing out on my flight to Surabaya.

You can buy a 24 hour round trip ticket for the same price as a single journey ticket. Last train is 12ish and first train is 5:30am. You can also stash your bags in the airport for a small fee.

If you have further questions you can post in the :toxx: China thread :toxx: PM me forums or line/wechat caberham

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

gailwynand gets added

i'm ediplomacy on LINE :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

How is it beyond that? I went to the launch event he held here in D.C. and it was awesome, as soon as they opened it up to questions from the crowd this furious Vietnamese lady got up and started haranguing him for being too easy on the Communists, and telling her life story about having to flee the country in 75 when she was a teenager and how dare he try to lump all Vietnamese together and she refused to give up the mic so Kaplan eventually had to cut her off by talking over her with "Yeah, we got it, are you gonna let me respond?" Didn't get much of a sense of the quality of the book though, is it worth reading?

Well so far I've just made it through the first chapter which is an undergrad level geopolitical analysis of the region combined with a fellation of John Mearsheimer and the CCP, so I don't have high hopes. Further comedy is expected though.