Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

That makes sense though, because Bill doesn't give a poo poo about Hoyt. Jessica can't have children no matter what, but Sookie can. Hoyt could, but gently caress him.

That doesn't really mean it still isn't really hypocritical. And also kind of selfish to rush the marriage thing along just to get some dying wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This show was really great if you were Sookie Stackhouse. No matter what, you had somebody pining for you, dating you, or loving you throughout.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

This show was really great if you were Sookie Stackhouse. No matter what, you had somebody pining for you, dating you, or loving you throughout.

And also had blood that was delicious and irresistible to vampires, which is really really dangerous but you know is probably a little bit of an ego boost deep down.

Come to think of it I think the only major straight male characters that didn't fall for Sookie at some point were Andy, Terry and Jason (thank loving god). Oh and Hoyt I guess but he was too busy with his ~*~soulmate~*~ Jessica.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
This would have been the best finale ever if the whole thing was just a series of "and a year after that..." short scenes like the last 5 minutes were.

Edit: With the last one being somehow making the whole cast lumberjacks.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

limeincoke posted:

This would have been the best finale ever if the whole thing was just a series of "and a year after that..." short scenes like the last 5 minutes were.

Or maybe just a "Best of" clipshow.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
An avatar I've thrown together if anybody's interested:

Edit: And here's another:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2014

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003
I saw it once but didn't see anyone answer, who was the dude sookie was with at the end? Thought that was just kind of thrown at you at the last second with no explanation. Also, with people saying Bill was turning human because he was warm, doesn't hep-v make vampires heat up before they explode? Isn't that what happened to Erics sister and also Sarah Newlins sister put some frozen peas on her chest (because she was hot I suppose). Or are all you saying that hep-v kind of starts to make you human but it sucks so it just kills you, and sookie version is just a little better because fairy.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Tiggum posted:

He could have just told Sookie "After I die, I think you should use that thing that makes you not be a fairy any more, because being a fairy is what has made your life so chaotic." and then just killed himself by exposing himself to sunlight. There was never any reason to have Sookie kill him, whether she used her fairy powers or not.

This was my problem with the show, and it's ending - nothing made any sense.

"Darling, I love you so much, I want you to be happy by helping me die! No, I don't mean taking care of my affairs after I meet the sun, I want you to literally stake me in a grave because I love you so much and I want you to have this traumatic experience so that you can remember me forever! Really honey, I love you so much but basically I want to ruin raspberry jam for you forever."

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Farnk posted:

who was the dude sookie was with at the end? Thought that was just kind of thrown at you at the last second with no explanation.

That's exactly what happened. It was faceless lumberjack 9714.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

limeincoke posted:

Edit: With the last one being somehow making the whole cast lumberjacks.
One flash-forward scene for each recurring character where every year another person became a lumberjack until everyone was a lumberjack. :roflolmao:

Farnk posted:

I saw it once but didn't see anyone answer, who was the dude sookie was with at the end?
Not a known character. The implication is that without Bill in the world she actually does marry a human and have a baby because that's the only possible way she could ever be happy. :rolleyes:

Farnk posted:

Also, with people saying Bill was turning human because he was warm, doesn't hep-v make vampires heat up before they explode? Isn't that what happened to Erics sister and also Sarah Newlins sister put some frozen peas on her chest (because she was hot I suppose). Or are all you saying that hep-v kind of starts to make you human but it sucks so it just kills you, and sookie version is just a little better because fairy.
It seemed like (and was rumoured that) Sookie's version of Hep-V plus fairy blood would make Bill human. It would have been incredibly dumb, but somehow less dumb than what actually happened.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
She wandered into a church and spent 10 minutes discussing free will and God. What the gently caress, man.

When this show first came out it was like backlash against Twilight's mawkish sparkling vampires. The last season was a straight-up telenovela. I just can't fathom why it all went so tepid.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

wow what the gently caress was that

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Farnk posted:

I saw it once but didn't see anyone answer, who was the dude sookie was with at the end? Thought that was just kind of thrown at you at the last second with no explanation. Also, with people saying Bill was turning human because he was warm, doesn't hep-v make vampires heat up before they explode? Isn't that what happened to Erics sister and also Sarah Newlins sister put some frozen peas on her chest (because she was hot I suppose). Or are all you saying that hep-v kind of starts to make you human but it sucks so it just kills you, and sookie version is just a little better because fairy.

Nora said she felt like she was hot, but nobody else really commented on her body temperature so it could have been a fever or could have just been some weird neuropathy-type thing. I think the main reason it stood out with Bill was the fact that Sookie could suddenly read his mind and they made a big thing about him feeling human. Which I realize was metaphorical, but also kind of felt like hamfisted foreshadowing.

And yeah, dude at the end was never explicitly identified it's just implied he's Sookie's husband or baby daddy or whatever.

embee
Jun 18, 2004

It's over, I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

embee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 27, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

hepscat posted:

She wandered into a church and spent 10 minutes discussing free will and God. What the gently caress, man.

When this show first came out it was like backlash against Twilight's mawkish sparkling vampires. The last season was a straight-up telenovela. I just can't fathom why it all went so tepid.

Maybe the writers got so sick of people asking about Sookie/Bill reunions that they finally snapped.

There's an interview Charlaine Harris about the finale out now. Apparently we missed out on Jason becoming a werepanther guys.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 25, 2014

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Even up to the (long drawn out bitter end), I still thought Bill was suspect with how adamant he was Sookie use her fairy light to kill him. It didn't come across as a loving act out of concern for her, but more final stage of his master plan to get rid of her fairy light. Just bad all around.

Basically, this finale sucked. Sucked hard. And this is coming from someone who defended this show and was fully committed to the off the rails crazy and loved the insane world of Bon Temps.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I just don't get why...anything in the finale had to happen. Like not a single thing made any sense at all. It felt like a deliberate attempt to waste everyone's time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I didn't watch the finale last night because the wife and I had to wake up too early...

I'm in for a shitshow aren't I?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

a wedding episode

give me the true death

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

I just don't get why...anything in the finale had to happen. Like not a single thing made any sense at all. It felt like a deliberate attempt to waste everyone's time.

The President of HBO has to be a Joyt shipper because there's really no other reasonable explanation why

1) Hoyt's character needed closure.
2) Hoyt felt the need to be with Jessica, as if it were destiny.
3) Anyone, let alone Jessica and Hoyt, would approve of the marriage.

Was Hoyt ever unglamoured? Is he still oblivious? I fast-forwarded past any scene that didn't have Eric in it.

Also, I was digging through youtube looking for a clip of Russell talking to Jar Talbot and saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Bb62y70Jc&t=29s

Sometimes you forget that Sookie is an interesting character when she's not hanging around Bill.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 26, 2014

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Was Hoyt ever unglamoured?

no, Jessica just explained that she cheated on him with Jason and ruined him to the point that he begged her to zap his brain to forget about most of his life while he fled his hometown. He responded to this news by punching Jason and then asking Jessica to marry him the next day and having jason be his best man

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I was in the tank for this show right up until this loving episode. That's how comparatively bad it was. I am in the tank for a lot of TV shows too -- I even liked the HIMYM finale. But this was too much, and too terrible.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Menamino posted:

no, Jessica just explained that she cheated on him with Jason and ruined him to the point that he begged her to zap his brain to forget about most of his life while he fled his hometown. He responded to this news by punching Jason and then asking Jessica to marry him the next day and having jason be his best man

The only way another Hoyt/Jessica relationship should of ended is with a flash forward to her glamoring him again covering up for her cheating on him but him wearing those CVS anti glamor lenses and just staking her.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I got really loving bored with the finale as soon as the wedding started but it's playing in the background while my wife watches it. This is loving boring as poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

This is pretty much how I felt about it. Once we got to the church scene I got up and started doing other things while sort of half-watching/listening until it got to Bill's big splash.

There's an article that keeps popping up in my Facebook feed with the headline "'True Blood' offers poignant, wacky finale" and every time I see it I wonder what episode did those people actually watch?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

nwin posted:

So I got really loving bored with the finale as soon as the wedding started but it's playing in the background while my wife watches it. This is loving boring as poo poo.

The wedding was totally unnecessary. Hoyt coming back felt forced and they ran out of ideas for the last season. The only good thing with the finale was the scenes with Pam and Eric.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I can't believe they KILLED ALCIDE at the beginning of the season when they could have just omitted their relationship during the time skip, NOT killed him, and saved him for Sookie's happy ending. UUUGGGGHHHH so mad about my trashy HBO soap opera

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Boo This Man posted:

The wedding was totally unnecessary. Hoyt coming back felt forced and they ran out of ideas for the last season. The only good thing with the finale was the scenes with Pam and Eric.

Running out of ideas on loving True Blood of all things is practically criminal. The writers responsible for this season should be run out of Hollywood and never be allowed to write so much as a play bill ever again.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
ahahahaaha I have been laughing all day at how bad this finale was ahahahahah

Edit: I may be alone but for me, one of the biggest offenders is that the second-to-last scene was a giant chunk of time dedicated to Sarah Newlin hallucinating. WHY ARE WE SPENDING THAT MUCH TIME ON A NOBODY CHARACTER TWO MINUTES BEFORE THE SERIES ENDS AHHHHHHH

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Rocco posted:

Edit: I may be alone but for me, one of the biggest offenders is that the second-to-last scene was a giant chunk of time dedicated to Sarah Newlin hallucinating. WHY ARE WE SPENDING THAT MUCH TIME ON A NOBODY CHARACTER TWO MINUTES BEFORE THE SERIES ENDS AHHHHHHH

Sarah became less of a nobody character in the last two seasons, but I agree that the hallucinations were kind unnecessary. They could have shown the Fangtasia stuff just to give her an ending and then stopped when Pam kicked out that vampire dude.

On the other hand, it gave us a little more Steve.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nate Falls posted:

You're welcome, guys. Now I have to go find another show to work on so I can have some part in disappointing you guys for another 7 years.

Love,
Goon Werewolf

Admit it, you were the second gunman who really shot Alcide from off-camera. I just wanna say...

...thank you. :tipshat:

Rocco posted:

Well yeah you're alone, because any scene that serves as an excuse to have Steve Newlin show up justifies itself.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Boo This Man posted:

I think the wedding, besides being a huge loving waste, was suppose to be their attempt at once more covering the whole gay rights allegory aspect of this show. They tossed in some pretty over the top comment about how "The state of Louisiana won't recognize this marriage, but in my eyes blah blah blah" I can't even care to remember anymore.

gently caress this show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Alcide's death meant nothing lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rocco posted:

Are you an actual idiot? That scene was the best part of the episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rocco posted:

Because what else were they gonna do with those two minutes? Maybe extend the wedding a little bit more? They should have cut everything before Pam and Eric's infomercial.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The reason the gay rights allegory in this show completely failed is the VAMPIRES ARE loving EVIL. Eric is a pretty big hypocrite judging Sarah for being a murderer when he's killed countless numbers of humans and vampires. Sarah was right to fight back. Shame she didn't win.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Why is "Viking god" billionaire and his progeny still working a bumblefuck dive shithole that assuredly smells of urine? Why did Mr. antebellum southern gent make Sookie coat herself in his gore when they could have done something cheesy but fitting like snuggling to the sunrise and poof. None of that really matter because worst of all, this season was boring as hell.

All the writers had to do was kill off lovely characters and do crazy stuff like blood orgies (which doubles as an excuse to show naked super hot people) or whatever. There is so much latitude for a show like True Blood: be silly, tasteless, nonsensical, fantastical etc. but not loving boring.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cojawfee posted:

Are you an actual idiot? That scene was the best part of the episode.

Yeah I'm an actual idiot for complaining that a show I enjoyed for seven years saved the second to last scene for someone who didn't matter for 90% of it

I'm an idiot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She was a major plot point for this lovely season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Tailored Sauce posted:

They made it XTREME!!!

With electrolytes.

IT'S GOT WHAT VAMPS CRAVE

Kazanir posted:

A+.

I have gone back in time and re-written this show. At the end of season 6, Sarah spills the beans about the cure while begging for her life. Eric and Jason take her blood, and then kill her anyway.

Terry dies and Sookie doesn't give a poo poo. She teams up with Warlow to lead a kickass life as an immortal faerie vampire goddess. She becomes the patron deity of danger whores everywhere.

When Bill returns to his useless, whiny, post-Lillith self and proclaims his love for Sookie, she and Warlow stake him.

The end.

Except Warlow is actually now Harley Stone from Split Second

The coolest faerie grandpa around :c00l:

• Locked thread