Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Golden Goat posted:

What was the wink again? Also I like Bolin's jokes but the sock was really out of place.

I did find it unfortunately appropriate that we started and ended the most serious episode with peak awkward Bolin comic relief. The sock and bird call scenes were so horribly out of place, though the sock on did do exactly what I've wanted someone to do to Zaheer since day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The sock might not have been so bad if he didn't literally drag out that joke. Just have Bolin walk up stuff a sock in and step back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NowonSA posted:

It would actually be pretty sweet if after two comets of Firebenders trying to take over or flat out burn the world, the comet arrives and all firebenders do is jetpack around and shoot fire patterns into the sky and such.

Since I'm curious, can anyone refresh my memory on if earth and airbenders were ever assigned a time period or set of conditions that drastically increase (or decrease)their bending abilities, similar to how sozin's comet boosts firebenders and a full moon boosts waterbenders?

It makes sense that only water & fire would have those since they're opposites.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Golden Goat posted:

The sock might not have been so bad if he didn't literally drag out that joke. Just have Bolin walk up stuff a sock in and step back.
Yea definitely.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

computer parts posted:

It makes sense that only water & fire would have those since they're opposites.

Air and earth are considered opposites too. That's why Aang struggles with learning earthbending. It's particularly visible that they're opposites in the way the two forms of bending fight. Air is all about quick moving, dodging, and quick, light attacks where earth is focused on a solid stance, absorbing or deflecting blows, and strong, slow attacks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rosalind posted:

Air and earth are considered opposites too. That's why Aang struggles with learning earthbending. It's particularly visible that they're opposites in the way the two forms of bending fight. Air is all about quick moving, dodging, and quick, light attacks where earth is focused on a solid stance, absorbing or deflecting blows, and strong, slow attacks.

Yeah, but I'm saying that because those two are opposites, they have similar modifiers, while the other two don't have to have them necessarily.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TheModernAmerican posted:

I did find it unfortunately appropriate that we started and ended the most serious episode with peak awkward Bolin comic relief. The sock and bird call scenes were so horribly out of place, though the sock on did do exactly what I've wanted someone to do to Zaheer since day one.
I think Bolin has undergone the process of "Flanderization", wherein a character's most remarkable trait is exaggerated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Bolin has undergone the process of "Flanderization", wherein a character's most remarkable trait is exaggerated.

That's not entirely true, we just got two character arcs from him where he admits to being a fuckup and tries to improve (Opal and metal/lavabending).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'll admit to snickering a bit after the battle at the Northern Air Temple and we hear "Caw caw! Caw caw!" off-screen.
The initial bird-call joke was probably the low point of the season though.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'll admit to snickering a bit after the battle at the Northern Air Temple and we hear "Caw caw! Caw caw!" off-screen.

I smiled a little, if only because it seemed like Bolin was making fun of himself. But since it's Bolin, he was probably genuinely trying to distract the Red Lotus.

With Bolin, every time he's on screen, my only hope is that he doesn't embarrass himself (and, by extension, me). That's not a character that is in any way endearing or enjoyable to watch.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wildeyes posted:

I smiled a little, if only because it seemed like Bolin was making fun of himself. But since it's Bolin, he was probably genuinely trying to distract the Red Lotus.

With Bolin, every time he's on screen, my only hope is that he doesn't embarrass himself (and, by extension, me). That's not a character that is in any way endearing or enjoyable to watch.

Man that poor baby Sky Bison. Anyone else feel bad when they were all forced to pile on the little fella?

Also, what happened to all the Air Acolytes at the Northern Air Temple? I'm sure they all got out before the place was melted down into slag, but when/how did that happen?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rewatching season one and the first episode they are discussing her lack of spirituality, Korra counters by calling Tenzin "Mr. Spiritual",

hEH

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've always wondered if they would end the avatar cycle with Korra. If/when they do another series, it could be 100 years down the line or so, and they could finally do a future setting like they originally wanted. Write some excuse for the reappearance of the avatar in a society that barely remembers who it was.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kingtheninja posted:

I've always wondered if they would end the avatar cycle with Korra. If/when they do another series, it could be 100 years down the line or so, and they could finally do a future setting like they originally wanted. Write some excuse for the reappearance of the avatar in a society that barely remembers who it was.

I like that one idea of a Earthbender country hick trying to understand a super futuristic bending society.

e: Then again, we sort of already got that when Korra first arrived in Republic City.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kingtheninja posted:

I feel like if they were going to that, it would have happened at the end of Season 2. They wouldn't have gone through all the effort to set up Korra as the first avatar of a new cycle and then just be all like, "nevermind!"

EDIT: If they want to have the avatar gone for 100 years again, they could always just freeze them in an iceberg again. :v:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

ShadowCatboy posted:

Man that poor baby Sky Bison. Anyone else feel bad when they were all forced to pile on the little fella?

Also, what happened to all the Air Acolytes at the Northern Air Temple? I'm sure they all got out before the place was melted down into slag, but when/how did that happen?

They weren't there, this was a major plot point.

Unless you're worried about those water blobs?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Think he means the non-bending air acolytes that were in season 1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wildeyes posted:

They were probably just in another cavern for people unimportant to the plot.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Kibayasu posted:

They were probably just in another cavern for people unimportant to the plot.

I'm imagining them all engaging in some Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead-style shenanigans: flipping coins, debating philosophy, wondering why they have no agency when a main character is present, and playing questions.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TheModernAmerican posted:

They weren't there, this was a major plot point.
It's true that they weren't there, but it wasn't a major plot. It wasn't explained at all, really. There were acolytes hanging around earlier when the group first went to the temple, but during the Ultimatum they just...weren't there anymore, for some reason.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Wildeyes posted:

Man, those non-bending air acolytes that then didn't get air bending most feel so shafted. Except for Pema, who would just be like, "G-ddamnit, I am already so tired."

I would pretty much bail on the movement if I didn't get airbending at that point.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

dj_clawson posted:

Man, those non-bending air acolytes that then didn't get air bending most feel so shafted. Except for Pema, who would just be like, "G-ddamnit, I am already so tired."

I would pretty much bail on the movement if I didn't get airbending at that point.

I'd go out on a limb and say the ones at the Northern Air Temple got burned most of all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tribbledirigible posted:

I'd go out on a limb and say the ones at the Northern Air Temple got burned most of all.

I want to punch you.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

MrAristocrates posted:

I want to punch you.

I deserve it. I'm a terrible person.:(

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It would be so great if Toph played a role in bringing peace to Ba Sing Se next season. She does think it's the worst city ever, but this is a grand opportunity to help rebuild it so it isn't all that terrible. She also used to be a policewoman, so this is kind of in her jurisdiction.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and man did I forget that they used to have jazz motifs. That's actually one of the departments where LoK completely outshines LoA for me: I didn't mind the music in the latter (or, rather, I didn't notice it), but Korra just has so much more to offer. There are moments in some of the fight scenes, though, where there's no music and it looks a bit weird.

Also, I forgot that the first words to come from Korra's mouth are 'I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it'. Guess Zaheer learned it the hard way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Supersonic Shine posted:

It would be so great if Toph played a role in bringing peace to Ba Sing Se next season. She does think it's the worst city ever, but this is a grand opportunity to help rebuild it so it isn't all that terrible. She also used to be a policewoman, so this is kind of in her jurisdiction.

She also used to be the Melon Lord. And I expect that's how she'd handle Ba Sing Se.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and man did I forget that they used to have jazz motifs.
Just noticed her outfit in the finale is the same one from the party in episode 1.4

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

I'm rewatching Season 1 right now and man did I forget that they used to have jazz motifs. That's actually one of the departments where LoK completely outshines LoA for me: I didn't mind the music in the latter (or, rather, I didn't notice it), but Korra just has so much more to offer. There are moments in some of the fight scenes, though, where there's no music and it looks a bit weird.

Also, I forgot that the first words to come from Korra's mouth are 'I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it'. Guess Zaheer learned it the hard way.

ATLA has some gorgeous music, but I absolutely agree Korra blows it away. The music in Korra, leaving the juxtaposition of it with scenes from the show alone, it loving amazing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

From what I've noticed the music in LoK generally cuts out or drops in volume during fights so you can hear Korra grunt without any distractions :v:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Peak Bolin y'all

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vincent posted:

Peak Classic Bolin y'all

There ya go.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

NowonSA posted:

I'll end with my guess as to why Korra is crying at the end. One of Zahir's lectures to Korra was that the Avatar was no longer needed. She's just watched an airbending ceremony be performed that she doubtless would have loved to participate in, but cannot. Where she was once one of five airbenders on the planet, now she has created many new ones, making her that much less special. Tenzin's big speech about filling in for her makes her think two things: My sole purpose of bringing balance has been taken over, and I am no longer needed, just like Zahir said.

The title of the episode really seems to point in part to this rather than being a literal reference to the poison they used. It might have just been an aesthetic choice, but the word "venom" seems deliberate -- venom (as opposed to poison) comes from bites or stings, and all signs point to next season being about addressing the lingering damage the Red Lotus has caused. Killing the Earth Queen and telling the people to rebel and live in anarchy was just the bite, so to speak.

And the first part of the season obviously has to be about the lingering damage done to Korra herself. The poison they used on her didn't do that to her. It made her sick and physically weakened her, but I think we're definitely going to get a "Zaheer was right" outburst out of Korra within the first couple of episodes next season because that's the thing that's actually crippling her.

It's not like that's a big departure really either, since Korra's worst enemy has always been Korra.

Also, people keep saying the poison was mercury, but did they actually say as much anywhere?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's mercury-like in appearance, and close enough for fantasy in symptoms, but they never called it that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reene posted:

The title of the episode really seems to point in part to this rather than being a literal reference to the poison they used. It might have just been an aesthetic choice, but the word "venom" seems deliberate -- venom (as opposed to poison) comes from bites or stings, and all signs point to next season being about addressing the lingering damage the Red Lotus has caused. Killing the Earth Queen and telling the people to rebel and live in anarchy was just the bite, so to speak.

And the first part of the season obviously has to be about the lingering damage done to Korra herself. The poison they used on her didn't do that to her. It made her sick and physically weakened her, but I think we're definitely going to get a "Zaheer was right" outburst out of Korra within the first couple of episodes next season because that's the thing that's actually crippling her.

It's not like that's a big departure really either, since Korra's worst enemy has always been Korra.

Related to that I have to wonder if perhaps Korra took Tenzin's speech about protecting the world while she recovers completely differently than the way he meant it and the way the audience is supposed to. Every single antagonist Korra has faced so far has basically said that the Avatar is the problem. She nearly lost her bending; the world was nearly destroyed; and then Tenzin, her father, and herself (among others) were all nearly killed because the latest crazy came along saying that she was the problem. Tenzin then finished the season with a speech about how the new airbenders will fill in for Korra while she recovers which I think Korra took the complete opposite meaning as the intended meaning for both the characters and the audience. I think it could be less "Amon/Unalaq/Zaheer was right" and more along the lines of "Maybe the world actually doesn't need an Avatar any more because all it apparently does is put everyone in danger, even people I don't know."

Reene posted:

Also, people keep saying the poison was mercury, but did they actually say as much anywhere?

Not specified but since it was apparently a room temperature liquid metal that's what most people will assume.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Reene posted:

"Zaheer was right"

Call me selfish, but if Korra ends with the end of the Avatar, I will be pissed for all of my lifetimes. :cry:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Well I mean I don't think Zaheer was actually literally right but we're definitely going to see Korra going through a period where she's convinced all these bad people maybe had a point after all and the world will be better off without the Avatar/her in it.

So that leads us to what the "legend" bit of Legend of Korra is -- I think we're going to end up seeing Korra reinvent what the role of the avatar is in relation to the world and the various nations. Pulling herself out of the put she's in is going to necessarily involve figuring out just what, exactly, her duty is or should be now. Her not having access to her past lives is actually a pretty important aspect of this, not only because she can't just ask them what she should do (making it entirely her responsibility) but because their opinions about the role of the avatar in the world aren't actually relevant anymore.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Really hoping for a begrudging team-up with Zaheer in the series' finale vs. whatever super big bad guy they come up with. Speaking of, where are they gonna from here? I always wondered whether guns could be a factor in the show, it seems contrary to the spirit of the franchise, but at least Asami could have some meaningful participation in a major battle.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Vincent posted:

Peak Bolin y'all

Speed Racer Bolin more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Zaheer's insurrectionist notions of flat-out eradicating world leaders when they're obviously corrupt and harmful is...well, we can argue about whether it's ethically right to assassinate someone, but it's still an understandable opinion that someone rational could conceivably arrive at. It's a blunt force trauma solution to a complex problem, but it's not really a dumb, unthinking blunt force solution. It's the Red vs White Lotus, Bolin Pai Sho vs Asami Pai Sho paradigm. The direct forceful approach for short-term gains, vs the slow burn strategic approach for long-term goals.

The problem is when he starts talking about the natural order being disorder and how chaos is the rightful state of the world. Isn't that just a fancy poetic way to say that anyone should just be allowed to do whatever they want with no consequences? What determines right from wrong, in a world of chaos? Personal preference?

Moreover, he goes on to talk about how, in this new world, you will only have allegiance to yourself and to those you love. So basically...only people who benefit you personally deserve your loyalty or consideration. "I got mine, gently caress everyone else."

Really, Zaheer's filled to the brim with selfish and barbaric notions dressed up with elegant words.

• Locked thread