Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I used to get Smirnoff, but Fleischmans tastes (to my wife and I) exactly the same when mixed and costs less than half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
edit: ^^as do almost all vodkas when mixed.

whatshesaid posted:

I've been drinking vodka lately. I'm losing weight because I've cut out the beer binges. But I'm not dumb enough to buy expensive vodka. Most people mix it with poo poo, and I lol when I hear someone ask for top shelf vodka to go in their cran juice or Red Bull. Svedka is my favorite. $19 for a 1.75. Smirnoff red is fine too, as are any other bottom- to mid-shelf brands. Absolut and Skyy are poo poo and they're overpriced.

Svedka is my daily drinker (you dont want to look in my recycle bin), but if I am in the mood for a good martini its Tito's.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
So I've got a night and day off from school and my job and am planning on spending them drinking whiskey and playing Civilization V. What would be your current suggestion for a decent sipping whiskey in the $15-$20 range? I know it is probably low, but if there are none I can always go back to my trusted E&J XO brandy. poo poo is pretty amazing for the price.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

So I've got a night and day off from school and my job and am planning on spending them drinking whiskey and playing Civilization V. What would be your current suggestion for a decent sipping whiskey in the $15-$20 range? I know it is probably low, but if there are none I can always go back to my trusted E&J XO brandy. poo poo is pretty amazing for the price.

Evan Williams on ice. $15-20 is a little low for sippin' whiskey, if you can extend your budget and your whiskey definition to bourbon, get some Knob Creek up in that piece.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Got beaten on Evan Williams while previewing my post. For a slight budget extension, I like Bulleit Bourbon.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Evan Williams on ice. $15-20 is a little low for sippin' whiskey, if you can extend your budget and your whiskey definition to bourbon, get some Knob Creek up in that piece.

This is my go to. Was 9.99 a bottle where I was living. Now that I moved I think it's more like 12.99.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Costco has Kirkland vodka. $13.50 for a 1.75. Six times distilled. It's a very nice smooth vodka and by far the best value out there if you ask me.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Master Twig posted:

Costco has Kirkland vodka. $13.50 for a 1.75. Six times distilled. It's a very nice smooth vodka and by far the best value out there if you ask me.

Their premium whiskey whatever with the square bottle is knob creek, aged 7 instead of 9 years. It's a decent value as well.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
When I've only got $20 to spend and I want a sipping whiskey I usually go for a half fifth of Woodford Reserve. Obviously this is kinda cheating as far as getting decent whiskey in the price range goes since you're getting half as much...

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm moving on Wednesday. The plan is to get all my poo poo from my old apartment into my new one and that's it. Work Thursday is gonna involve waking up, digging for clothes, digging for a towel and probably using my new roommate's shower poo poo cuz gently caress unpacking. Once I'm off on Thursday, I'm getting PS4, 4 controllers and Diablo 3. I expect to be drunk and stoned by 9pm, with friends/roommates.

By then, the following will be unpacked and in place...
-TV/PS4
-Bed
-Sound system

Everything else can wait. I'm sure Thursday night will be drinking/smoking in a horde of poo poo. Hopefully by Friday night/Saturday morning we'll all be well enough to organize some poo poo.

I'm on staycation next week. Saturday, Sunday and Monday = Allston Christmas. The time of the year when all the leases roll over, everyone moves, students come back/leave and the streets are littered with trash treasures and empty liquor bottles. We will literally be celebrating harder than real Christmas. I fully expect for all of us to be walking around the city insanely high/drunk with dollies/hand trucks scouring for upgrades to our couches, desks, TVs, anything we can find as well as bringing stuff to consignment shops for more booze money.

I can't loving wait. It's gonna be absoutly brolic this weekend. It's like a wasteland of drunk partying combined with the refuse of rich college kids. Couches on the street, plank fights, smashing stuff, making money, gettin drunk, being stoned and living like a savage. Did I mention my new apartment complex has a pool?

This is gonna be the longest work week ever.

cname has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Aug 25, 2014

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

edit: ^^Whenever moving pack a backpack with a change of clothes, towel, and toiletries. Never pack that poo poo into boxes.

I bought a house back in May and just unpacked my office this weekend. I had the computer set up and nothing else.

$20? 2 airplane bottles of Makers and a handle of KD.

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Aug 25, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I like Buffalo Trace, and a 750ml is usually about 17-20 bucks near me (Georgia). I prefer it over similarly priced items such as Makers or Four Roses.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

$20 will get you a giant bottle of Old Crow. Tastes decent enough straight, better with a bit of water, and makes a fantastic mixer. I always have at least 1 bottle on hand.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

1redflag posted:

I like Buffalo Trace, and a 750ml is usually about 17-20 bucks near me (Georgia). I prefer it over similarly priced items such as Makers or Four Roses.

I also agree with this although I'd put Four Roses at about the same spot above Makers.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

cname posted:

Allston Christmas

Hello, fellow MA bachelor. When my roommates and I were looking for places, we considered Allston for a while before deciding moving into Allston in September is like shooting yourself 1000 times over. I ended up in a nice 'hood in Somerville, instead. I suppose living in Allston is far more bachelor, all things considered. Hope your place is (relatively) up to fire code!

Big Grunty Secret has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 25, 2014

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Famous Grouse is delicious. It's my go-to for flask filling.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Majority of cheap Whiskeys are Whiskey blends with a mash. Look at the back label of these and it will show you the blend %. Majority of OK tasting Whiskey blends are 20/80 blend or better. The bottom shelf cheap poo poo like Kentucky Deluxe is a 10/90 blend. Use this as your guide to buying cheap whiskey and enjoy.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Hello, fellow MA bachelor. When my roommates and I were looking for places, we considered Allston for a while before deciding moving into Allston in September on September 1st is like shooting yourself 1000 times over. I ended up in a nice 'hood in Somerville, instead. I suppose living in Allston is far more bachelor, all things considered. Hope your place is (relatively) up to fire code!

Fixed that, for you. When I assumed I'd be moving on the 31st/Sept 1st, I booked Uhauls for both days, in February. In February, I only had a few options for rental times and they insisted I only have it for 4 hours because other people had reservations for the afternoon. When I realized I could move this Wednesday, I booked a uhaul for Wednesday morning and canceled the others. I booked said Uhaul, last Friday. The guy on the phone said "Should be all good. Whole day is wide open. I mean, you could just swing by whenever but we suggest a reservation, just to be safe."

Funny you should mention fire code. Here, have some pics of the first Allston slum I ever lived in...

Fuze box with faulty wiring.

Hilarious insulation job done from the inside. The insulation crew actually knocked the power out, because they didn't bother marking the electrical wiring beforehand. Thank god this was the day before I was moving out.

Caused by a leak from the bathroom located directly on top. Never was fixed.

Neighbors weren't so lucky. Not all survived. Wound up looting the house once the investigation was over.

Left over from Allston Christmas celebration. (Bottom-left) yea, that's vomit. We had about 10 people packed onto that couch the night before. The porch at the top of the picture was only accessible by a window. Porch furniture included an office chair, inverted crunch bench (workout equipment) and the backseat bench to an old car.

Those of you who know the area: If you walk down that driveway and hop the fence to the yard behind the house to the right, there's a pile of poo poo you can use to climb up on the roof of the Pub around the corner. On the roof of that pub is a billboard you can climb up. Awesome spot for smoking and relaxing.

cname has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Aug 25, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a breaker box, not a fuse box, but yeah, looks like a pretty lovely place if that one little box ran everything in the apartment. Looks like 10 gauge wire running the whole panel, too, which is somewhat under-rated even assuming those are all 15 amp breakers. Probably alright by code, but only assuming expected loading on the circuits... and all those circuits would be a mouse fart from tripping the breaker if that's for the whole apartment, so the feed wiring is likely overloaded.

So yeah, whoever wired that place was either an idiot or too lazy to put new wiring in properly and bring things up to modern standards. Probably never inspected either.

Blown in insulation isn't a problem if they do it right - you can fill an entire wall cavity (between two studs) if you know what you're doing. If it was a lazy crew, they probably filled like half to 3/4 of the cavities, which is better than nothing but not ideal of course.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ Bravo! You've managed to describe my old landlord and the exact function of the apartment and it's shotty electrical wiring just by looking at a breaker! And yes, it ran the whole upstairs segment of the duplex. By "upstairs" I mean roughly 20 sockets split between 5 people all running electrical devices.

We had a specific rotation for who was supposed to go down to the basement and flip the switch back on, every time the breaker was tripped. (or whatever the terms and electrician vocabulary, I know nothing)

Especially funny how you mention "a mouse fart" because the place was loaded with mice.

cname has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

Famous Grouse is delicious. It's my go-to for flask filling.

Aw man, I'm sorry you feel that way :(

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I'm jealous at the prices of the cheap alcohol. Decent cheap vodka here is about 40.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Might be a little late, but you've got options around 20$. Anything anyone has mentioned earlier would definitely work, but my personal favorite right now is old grandad bottled - in - bond. It's 100 proof, is heavy on the tobacco and candied orange in the nose, and makes the best old fashioned I've ever had.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Stoli is great. Wild Turkey 101 is also great. Beer is the devil when attempting to get in/stay in shape.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Drink and Fight posted:

I like Monopolova if I'm gonna drink vodka. It's like $10 for a 750 and tastes like it costs way more.

How weird, I got Monopolowa Dry Gin a few hours ago because it was cheap and looked like it might be better than it costed. I'd never heard of it before. Bundaberg lemon-lime bitters is pretty good with it. It's definitely decent, maybe a bit harsh straight, though it is >80 proof.

I'm guessing the vodka is made of potatoes as well, right?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

electrohead posted:

How weird, I got Monopolowa Dry Gin a few hours ago because it was cheap and looked like it might be better than it costed. I'd never heard of it before. Bundaberg lemon-lime bitters is pretty good with it. It's definitely decent, maybe a bit harsh straight, though it is >80 proof.

Correct, it is a potato vodka. Potato Vodka has an acquired taste.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Correct, it is a potato vodka. Potato Vodka has an acquired taste.

Untrue, it tastes like pretty much nothing just like any good vodka.

electrohead posted:

I've never had their gin. Report?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Every Potato Vodka I have had has a unique after taste that is hard to describe. You are the first person I have ever heard that says it tastes that way. Hell I know someone who only likes Potato Vodka and thinks all other Vodkas taste awful.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
Well, the gin is potato gin as well, and it has a vaguely funky aftertaste as I think JEEVES420 is talking about. It's been a long time since I've had potato vodka but I recall it having a similar flavor that I wouldn't find from wheat vodka or even citrus.

Of course, gin is additionally flavored... it's pretty good, I think. It claims to be dry but I find most "dry" liquor to be sweet to my taste (obviously not sweet compared to Southern Comfort or something). This is the same. It says "Crafted with superior botanicals, including juniper berries, orange and lemon peel, coriander, anise, and ginger." I can taste all of the flavors in the spirit, much lighter on the juniper than other gin I've had. Ginger is a strong note as is the citrus. You could maybe give it to people who hate gin because "it tastes like pine needles" and they would like it.

I like it and it was only 15 dollars at the store up the street. Also it's 87 proof, there's a little burn, maybe I'm just retarded because I was smoking too much yesterday.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Interesting. And yeah I get Monopoly vodka for $10 which when I was drinking a lot more was really helpful to let me like, buy gas, and stuff.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Tried my first showerbeer. Pleasant, and definitely something that I would do again. Nice way to relax in the shower.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Jewcoon posted:

Tried my first showerbeer. Pleasant, and definitely something that I would do again. Nice way to relax in the shower.

Now try a bathbeer.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Nothing like a long hot bath on a cold winter day with a good book and an ice cold beer.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Meatwave posted:

Now try a bathbeer.

Taeke posted:

Nothing like a long hot bath on a cold winter day with a good book and an ice cold beer.

I prefer wine or cognac for my baths but, This. Glorious This

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I haven't had a bath in like 2 years. But I might now. I've done shower rum before but there was always a chance of water getting in my rum. A bath might be the perfect solution.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shannonmcn posted:

I haven't had a bath in like 2 years. But I might now. I've done shower rum before but there was always a chance of water getting in my rum. A bath might be the perfect solution.

There's no shame in the practicality of putting good rum in a sippy cup to shower.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shannonmcn posted:

Splizwarf posted:

There's no shame in the practicality of putting good rum in a sippy cup to shower.

Everyone should have an "adult" sippy cup

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Is that what I google? "adult sippy cup"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The correct term is "camelbak" or "bag wine" actually.

(put the rum in the wine bag. Hang it from a suction cup on the tiles by the tub. Those bags are drat tough.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shannonmcn posted:

Is that what I google? "adult sippy cup"?

Plastic Tumbler

:lol:

• Locked thread