Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't bother with any Persona game before P3P, personally. And only that if you play it before P4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Jack Bros is way better than every Persona

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All the games you like are bad especially if they are any SMT games before Nocture.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Who would have guessed that old JRPGs do not age well. Except for like Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, I guess.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Suikoden II aged really well, you should go play that

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Moltrey posted:

So, I might have screwed myself pretty bad in SMT II.

I made it to Satan and me in my infinite wisdom of relying on autobattle, sorta neglected my demons so they're pretty lackluster, like level 40 - 50. I also didn't go out of my way to fuse swords so no one can actually hit Satan except for Lucifer who will do about 120 damage a turn. I have a save before the alignment choice. so I have to revert to that and I'll guess try to fuse better demons/get better equipment

Part of me wants to say "gently caress it" and move on to Nocturne, but how I will fare in Nocturne if I can't even beat SMT II

You're about 20 minutes away from the ending, it would be kind of a waste to quit now. Last boss is probably going to be the same in terms of nobody-can-hit-it-but-Lucifer though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You should have made Metatron an hour into the game like any sensible person

Actually that was pretty snarky, I apologize. You could have been playing blind and stuff.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 24, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SelenicMartian posted:

Mot is the guy I had to beat down with physicals, because my entire party had no spark :suicide:

On my second playthrough of Nocturne I completed the Labyrinth of Amala before even setting foot in the Diet Building. Having Pierce on the Demi-Fiend made every boss battle from then on trivial, especially against Mot, who died like a chump.

Also Fog Breath. Always have a demon that knows Fog Breath or Sukukaja in your active party.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're about 20 minutes away from the ending, it would be kind of a waste to quit now. Last boss is probably going to be the same in terms of nobody-can-hit-it-but-Lucifer though.

Yeah, I went back and beat it. I had an earlier save and all it took was a Shiva with a Divine Retribution. SMT II was a game with a pretty cool story with a lot of terrible things. Having to climb Lucifer's castle twice, the Center's terminal being down and just silly dungeon design really made the game a slog. Still glad I experienced it though, but not sure if I recommend it. I liked SMT I more overall though.

Cool thing is that since I've only played SMT I and II, it's pretty much for whatever I decide to play next. Probably gonna be Nocturne.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You should have made Metatron an hour into the game like any sensible person

Actually that was pretty snarky, I apologize. You could have been playing blind and stuff.

Yeah I was sorta flying blind. I had a skype chatroom of friends who are pretty well versed in SMT and they gave me tips throughout. Also, I love that you came back and edited this post six minutes after posting. :3:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Okay goons I played Persona 4 Golden, and then P3P, and finallly SMT IV. Which game do I try out next?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

littleorv posted:

Okay goons I played Persona 4 Golden, and then P3P, and finallly SMT IV. Which game do I try out next?

The logical path to follow would probably be Nocturne, its very much like the Persona games as far as the combat is concerned, and then if you're still itching for more Digital Devil Saga. After that you're going to go into some weirder games, and find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Devil Survivor Overclocked is pretty neat, and probably $15 now or next week in an Atlus sale. It's a turn based strategy game and you do battle with a streamlined version of SMT IV's battle system (although SMT IV came after it)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Great thanks I'll look into those games a bit. I was surprised how much more I liked SMT IV's battle system than the Persona games battle system even though they are fairly similar. I think a lot of it has to do with how you either win fast or lose fast and if you got careless even non boss enemies could gently caress you up pretty bad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Devil Summoner 2 is fun and its 4 bucks on PSN right now.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

Devil Summoner 2 is fun and its 4 bucks on PSN right now.

Is that a sale price or something? If so, I'll grab it now.

Edit: Ah, looks like there's an atlus sale going on. I grabbed them; now I don't need to hook up my ps2 when I want to play them.

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 25, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What Atlus games are on sale on PSN right now? I don't see like a sale button.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there any indication that all these PS2 classics and stuff will end up on the PS4 soon? I have a PS3 but I don't want to get a bunch of games I can't play on the new console. Also remote play to the Vita would be nice.

Excels posted:

a tale of souls and nerds, eternally retold

The music from the Windmill stage in SC2 just started playing in my head

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there any indication that all these PS2 classics and stuff will end up on the PS4 soon? I have a PS3 but I don't want to get a bunch of games I can't play on the new console.
It seems they're aiming for PlayStation Now to provide that over doing the work on emulation.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
feeling like a loving boss right now because i just beat sleeping table on a first try :smug:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is the sound in Raidou Kuzunoha 1 desynced for anyone else?

E: On PSN.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

PureRok posted:

Is the sound in Raidou Kuzunoha 1 desynced for anyone else?

E: On PSN.

Yeah the PSN ver does that

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
After watching a video I'm also apparently running slower and all of my attacks are slower than on the PS2. That's disappointing.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

poo poo, the PSN version is slow? I might have to bite the bullet and open my physical copy then... :(

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Why have the PSN Megaten games experienced so many problems? Probably something with the software emulation. Nocturne works alright in my experience, but everything that's been said about DDS and Raidou has been negative. Is it bad enough to not be worth playing as a digital copy?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's not unplayably slow. It's running at like 75%-80% speed or something. It's just a little noticeable how his animation just looks off for how slow you're running.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I did notice when I started Raidou 2 that I was moving a lot faster in town

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Games ported off of PS2 seem to have these framerate issues a lot. Symphonia HD was a port of the PS2 version, so it's locked at 30FPS even though the GC version was 60 frames most of the time. It's weird they never bother fixing this stuff, or even testing it apparently

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's actually a problem with most PS2 MegaTen games in emulation or porting, mainly with Nocturne and DDS, which the latter is logical since that runs on the same engine as Nocturne. I've never heard of Raidou having many problems though, does that run on the same engine as those two?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beef Waifu posted:

There's actually a problem with most PS2 MegaTen games in emulation or porting, mainly with Nocturne and DDS, which the latter is logical since that runs on the same engine as Nocturne. I've never heard of Raidou having many problems though, does that run on the same engine as those two?

I've emulated both Raidou games on PCSX2 with zero issues, though Nocturne never gave me anything other than being weird with shadows. It seems more to me like the PS3 emulation simply isn't up to snuff.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Strange Quark posted:

I've emulated both Raidou games on PCSX2 with zero issues, though Nocturne never gave me anything other than being weird with shadows. It seems more to me like the PS3 emulation simply isn't up to snuff.

In PCSX2, the shadows for Nocturne were "fixed" a handful of months ago, basically by disabling the Demi-Fiend's shadow entirely. The rest of the shadows seem to work just fine.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Coughing Hobo posted:

In PCSX2, the shadows for Nocturne were "fixed" a handful of months ago, basically by disabling the Demi-Fiend's shadow entirely. The rest of the shadows seem to work just fine.

:monocle: Oh my god! I can finally enjoy the game the way it was meant to be!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Neurion posted:

:monocle: Oh my god! I can finally enjoy the game the way it was meant to be!

Now you can get curbstomped by Matador in glorious 1080p :unsmigghh:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Yet another tune in Nocturne derives from music earlier in the series. Note the similarities between the music for Arcade Street from SMT1 and Ginza from Nocturne.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Neurion posted:

Yet another tune in Nocturne derives from music earlier in the series. Note the similarities between the music for Arcade Street from SMT1 and Ginza from Nocturne.

And they remixed it again for SMT IV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vVN0GmPGg

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
There's a ton of SMT1/2 music remixes in Nocturne as well as SMTIV, off the top of my head there is:

Nocturne:

SMT1 Arcade - Ginza
SMT1 Kichijoji - Puzzle Boy Theme
Death and Terminal theme are from SMT2
SMT1 law and chaos theme play in the Labyrinth of Amala
Fiend pre-battle cutscene music is based on the Encounter themes of SMT1/2
Fiend battle music contains the SMT2 "flashback" theme
Metatron and Beelzebub themes draw from the SMT1 and SMT2 Law/Chaos themes
SMT If... for the PS1 soundtrack includes the Fiend and Amala Network battle themes from Nocturne, but I think it was a case of them being developed at the same time.

SMT IV:

SMTIV remixes SMT1 Arcade for the Streetpass menu, SMT1 shop theme in the DLC menu.
SMTIV Cathedral of Shadows music comes from SMT1, SMT2, SMT3, and Devil Summoner
SMT1 Terminal theme is used
SMT1 Law and Chaos versions are used in Blasted and Infernal Tokyo.
SMT1 Ginza plays in the one arena with hunter fights

SMT Imagine and NINE soundtrack consist largely of SMT 1/2 remixes

I think my favorite music callback in the SMT series is when the piano Persona theme from the original game plays at the end of a pivotal cutscene in Persona 3 (after Ikutsuki dies)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Beef Waifu posted:

The PS2 Megaten games (except for Persona 3/4) use an old-rear end version of the PS2 SDK (or whatever they called their framework) which among other things still used interlaced frame buffers (despite being a primarily interlaced-scan console, most PS2 games use progressive frame buffers). Keep in mind Raidou 2 was still riding this train in like 2009.

I would be extremely unsurprised if the problems stemmed from that.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Raidou 2 since it's on sale. Is there anything I should know before going in? I never played the first one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Iserlohn posted:

I picked up Raidou 2 since it's on sale. Is there anything I should know before going in? I never played the first one.
Put points in everything except for Vitality. Also go Chaos because you unlock all the New Game Plus stuff.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Iserlohn posted:

Magic is the most important stat, X Breath skills are good, go Chaos if you want the most out of a NG+ run for some Case Files, ammo is unlimited, and you can reload by tapping Square once while blocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You need to block whenever a boss says it's about to unleash a super move.