Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

eth0.n posted:

I think the answer is, during the comparison, to convert the LAN and AoP of the target and current orbits to their respective Longitudes of Periapsis, which is just the sum of LAN and AoP (modulo 360). That way, no matter what arbitrary LAN and AoP KSP comes up with for that 0 inclination orbit, you can match it sensibly with the target orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_longitude

Right, it's referred to as true longitude. (True anomaly is irrelevant here, I want that w with a hat on it.) I don't quite understand why adding two variables that are going batshit crazy at undefined ranges TOGETHER creates a logical, reasonable variable, but I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really follow licensechat, but it seemed like someone was looking for a pre-4.0 version of KAS? Apparently when I upgraded to 4.0 I kept a copy of whatever 3.x I was running at the time, complete with source. It's mostly just winches and hooks, but those are way more fun than pipes anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately the source code isn't the problem.. it's locating a zip of the source that has a copy of the GPL packed with it. That's the "out" for a modder who wants to make a free and clear fork.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Arsonide posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_longitude

Right, it's referred to as true longitude. (True anomaly is irrelevant here, I want that w with a hat on it.) I don't quite understand why adding two variables that are going batshit crazy at undefined ranges TOGETHER creates a logical, reasonable variable, but I'll give it a shot.

True Longitude is different from Longitude of Periapsis. The former varies with time, and represents the 0-inclination longitude of where the object currently is. The latter doesn't vary with time as the object orbits.

If Longitude of Periapsis doesn't work, you could try using the Eccentricity Vector (eccVec) attribute of the Orbit object. For two orbits of near 0-inclination, with shapes near each other, their eccVec should be nearly the same, both in direction and magnitude.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RoverDude posted:

Ok so here is the plan.

I'm starting with just getting grabbing stuff to work. After that, I'm going down the route of printable parts based on a single generic resource. Oh... and this will probably not be nearly as brisk as my other endeavours since I am basically starting from scratch to prevent anyone getting all silly about accusing me of 'stealing' anything. I will probably do stupid things when I try this, so if any folks more clever than me want to help me test and idiot proof it, that would rock

This is a good plan and I approve of it. I am not very clever, but I'm willing to test stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RoverDude posted:

Ok so here is the plan.

I'm starting with just getting grabbing stuff to work. After that, I'm going down the route of printable parts based on a single generic resource. Oh... and this will probably not be nearly as brisk as my other endeavours since I am basically starting from scratch to prevent anyone getting all silly about accusing me of 'stealing' anything. I will probably do stupid things when I try this, so if any folks more clever than me want to help me test and idiot proof it, that would rock

Sounds like a plan, getting this done right should be worth a bit of a wait. That being said, we're a little light on the mod drama as of late. Can I pencil you in for a breakdown and/or freakout in, say, three months or so? Of course if Majiir flips the gently caress out we'll have met our quota for a bit. Have your people call our people and we'll do lunch and work it out. In all seriousness, welcome.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Can any goons tell me why this rover doesn't rove with a kerbal in the seat?

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

EightBit posted:

Can any goons tell me why this rover doesn't rove with a kerbal in the seat?

No electricity for the wheels would be my guess.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I see a pretty unnecessary SAS module on the left side behind the seat which you may have thought was a probe core.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Arsonide posted:

This is a known issue. I finally discovered the cause yesterday. 0.57b added argument of periapsis checks in addition to LAN checks on your rotation. LAN checks under 1 inclination are skipped. Argument of periapsis checks under 0.05 eccentricity are skipped. Unfortunately I glazed over rule 3 of orbits with zero inclination: they have undefined argument of periapsis, because argument of periapsis is based on LAN.

For now, force it complete.

I'd like to say the fix is simply skipping the argument of periapsis check when I skip the LAN check, but it isn't that easy. If I did that, you could still match orbits in wildly different directions. I'm going to investigate this tonight.

If you didn't understand a word I just said, I know what the problem is, and I'm working on it.

Okay thanks, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something really obvious I was missing. Great work on the mod, by the way. I installed this today when things started to get a little stale and I can't imagine playing without it now.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

The Green Calx posted:

No electricity for the wheels would be my guess.

More specifically, a lack of electrical storage. The power from the RTGs needs to be stored somewhere that the wheels can draw from. Normally, a command pod or probe core can act as the battery, but the chair doesn't have any electrical capacity.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

I see a pretty unnecessary SAS module on the left side behind the seat which you may have thought was a probe core.

I was trying to design it to be detached and dropped with a kerbal in the seat. Is a probe core necessary for driving with a seat? It has plenty of power, eight RTGs :jebstare:

Edit: slapping a battery on there got it rolling

Edit 2: the torque wheel is there to turn it around after detaching prior to deorbiting

EightBit fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 26, 2014

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I think someone made a post a while back about a bug where the camera angle for the space center abruptly changed. Is there some way to fix this? I hope so, as I can't even see the Tracking Station.

e: Nevermind, it appears to have corrected itself.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

eth0.n posted:

True Longitude is different from Longitude of Periapsis. The former varies with time, and represents the 0-inclination longitude of where the object currently is. The latter doesn't vary with time as the object orbits.

If Longitude of Periapsis doesn't work, you could try using the Eccentricity Vector (eccVec) attribute of the Orbit object. For two orbits of near 0-inclination, with shapes near each other, their eccVec should be nearly the same, both in direction and magnitude.

It varies with time because of the true anomaly component right? That's why I just go for hat w, and cut out v.

*looks up what hat w is...it's longitude of periapsis*

We're talking about the same thing. :suicide:

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Warbird posted:

Sounds like a plan, getting this done right should be worth a bit of a wait. That being said, we're a little light on the mod drama as of late. Can I pencil you in for a breakdown and/or freakout in, say, three months or so? Of course if Majiir flips the gently caress out we'll have met our quota for a bit. Have your people call our people and we'll do lunch and work it out. In all seriousness, welcome.

TBH I'm hoping that control of KAS gets turned over to someone who can open the licensing up just from sheer pressure. But yeah other than that, it's going to be a long slug for this one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EightBit posted:

I was trying to design it to be detached and dropped with a kerbal in the seat. Is a probe core necessary for driving with a seat? It has plenty of power, eight RTGs :jebstare:

Edit: slapping a battery on there got it rolling

Edit 2: the torque wheel is there to turn it around after detaching prior to deorbiting

Reaction wheels generally are a good idea for any rover, they can help prevent roll if used correctly, and can also double as steering.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RoverDude posted:

TBH I'm hoping that control of KAS gets turned over to someone who can open the licensing up just from sheer pressure. But yeah other than that, it's going to be a long slug for this one.

So you're saying we should take a hit out on Majiir? Max has some cartel connections that we could talk to...

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Karbonite Question:

I've tried to get Karbonite mined and collected from the ground and atmosphere, and have been unable to get a scrap of Karbonite. I've got tanks directly connected to the collectors, sufficient power, but no joy. What am I missing? I've landed in Karbonite hotspots, and was unable to get anything after days of waiting.

Running Steam client.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I have a strange predilection for making big wobbly chains for interplanetary transfers. Maybe I keep thinking of Pitch Black when I'm planning larger missions.

I still have to lift the ridiculous Eve lander up and dock it to the butt end. I have to add RCS to it first, or docking will be too hard. The main vessel was already difficult to control precisely before I added another load of fuel and rovers to the end.

I haven't tested how the lander will behave upon reentry yet. Probably just going to wing it and hope it doesn't try to flip over at Mach 4 :jeb:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

OwlFancier posted:

Reaction wheels generally are a good idea for any rover, they can help prevent roll if used correctly, and can also double as steering.

Absolutely essential for most Mun Rovers, turning your wheels won't do poo poo: not enough traction, so inertia takes over. The reaction wheel will rotate your whole chassis, and that is usually enough traction (just).

Not to mention the torque will give you a cat like ability to always land upright when doing sick munjumps.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Dalaram posted:

Karbonite Question:

I've tried to get Karbonite mined and collected from the ground and atmosphere, and have been unable to get a scrap of Karbonite. I've got tanks directly connected to the collectors, sufficient power, but no joy. What am I missing? I've landed in Karbonite hotspots, and was unable to get anything after days of waiting.

Running Steam client.

What does your output log say when you click activate on the converter?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Splode posted:

Not to mention the torque will give you a cat like ability to always land upright when doing sick munjumps.

Yeah, this. In Munar gravity or lower if you want to get somewhere within a reasonable time you have to travel at a speed that will be constantly tossing you into the air for several seconds off the slightest bumps in the terrain. If you can't reorient in midair, you will crash, a lot.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

eth0.n posted:

My original intent with the 3D printing suggestion was that the parts would be about as light and compact as KAS's boxes, and have only a minimal power requirement.

The point is to have abstract "containers" that pull from a generic resource, instead of fiddly individual part counts, and 3D printing is a way to theme that in a roughly "realistic" way.

I would put the gameplay first, not try to actually represent 3D printing realistically.

Good because my past weeks adventure in learning to use my 3d printer involves a lot of false starts and failed prints.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Dalaram posted:

Karbonite Question:

Running Steam client.

Anything in the debug log? Things that cause this: ATM/TR, bad versions of the ORS DLL. Need more info.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Good because my past weeks adventure in learning to use my 3d printer involves a lot of false starts and failed prints.

Sounds like something that Station Science should work on.

"Conduct prototyping and development of on-orbit 3d printing technologies." 50 eurekas.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RoverDude posted:

KospY did say he was going for a year and that was October last year. Best case would be he turns up soon going 'WTF did you do to my mod' and takes it back.

After November I'm off contract and should have time to help out.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Ratzap posted:

KospY did say he was going for a year and that was October last year. Best case would be he turns up soon going 'WTF did you do to my mod' and takes it back.

After November I'm off contract and should have time to help out.

A common excuse KAS uses is 'OMG teh models'.

Seriously... if KospY came back and reclaimed it, I would make him brand new models.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

RoverDude posted:

Seriously... if KospY came back and reclaimed it, I would make him brand new models.

You're too good a person to be real. You're actually some gestalt think-tank working for the secret NASA to try to build goodwill among KSP players in order to recruit them to fight against alien invaders, right? :tinfoil:

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Tehan posted:

You're too good a person to be real. You're actually some gestalt think-tank working for the secret NASA to try to build goodwill among KSP players in order to recruit them to fight against alien invaders, right? :tinfoil:

My real plans involve training black-ops hobos.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

RoverDude posted:

A common excuse KAS uses is 'OMG teh models'.

If you need a alpha tester, sign me up! I love your mods and I'm so glad you found these forums.

gunktacularSA at gmail

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RoverDude posted:

My real plans involve training black-ops hobos.

Will you call them Blobos?

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Im up for alpha/beta testing your stuff RoverDude if you need more testers.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Let me get something even remotely working first... About all I can do is make something fall of your ship and kinda follow a Kerbal around in a very sad and mournful way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think that kerbals on EVA are also sort-of ships where things can be attached to, they just have a very different mode of control. I think perhaps a better starting point would be trying to spawn a part from nothing and surface-attach it on a regular ship, then afterwards see if you can get it to surface-attach on a kerbal's jetpack.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

RoverDude posted:

Let me get something even remotely working first... About all I can do is make something fall of your ship and kinda follow a Kerbal around in a very sad and mournful way.

Put a leash on the parts and then wait for people to do it with that crittercrawler mod for adorable pictures.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

RoverDude posted:

yeah, when you do get something you need tested just dump it in the thread, works well for Arsonside!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
With KAS, if you wanted a stable base you had to have those pipes connecting the various pieces which, for me at least, liked to go rigid during reload and send the whole thing flying off into space.
What kind of work would go into having permanent stuff like lamps, crates, science equipment that would be scattered around and serve no actual purpose other than look purdy?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ledenko posted:

With KAS, if you wanted a stable base you had to have those pipes connecting the various pieces which, for me at least, liked to go rigid during reload and send the whole thing flying off into space.
What kind of work would go into having permanent stuff like lamps, crates, science equipment that would be scattered around and serve no actual purpose other than look purdy?

I always wondered, is it impossible to have permanent parts on planets? I mean physics-frozen stuff (things only start simulating physics once something interacts with it, so big bases don't lag) like some other games do, parts that have certain coordinates set (eg relative to ground, so it doesn't spawn underground while terrain generates and blows up) and such

Really wish we had a mod to build an actual bases on other places. Explanetary isn't ideal, imo.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

How is the space center handled? Is that just effectively a terrain feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Space center is a scenery feature if I recall. Same as the Kraken, monoliths and arches.

• Locked thread