Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game. There's gotta be some great examples of this in the best/worst experiences back catalog.

Egotistical repost:

I love 7th Sea so dearly. I was once in a game that almost ended before it began. The three players were all siblings of the same Castille family. Alonso, the scholar, Romero, the black sheep, and Marisol the eldest daughter and swordsman.

The first session was a celebration of the youngest daughter's wedding, and there was much merriment until the eldest son of an evil nobility showed up to proclaim he would ruin us, as he was obsessed with the bride.

He got about halfway through the initial vow of revenge before Marisol challenged him to a duel. Romero -- quite drunk -- pushed aside Marisol, pulled out a pistol, and shot him.

My meager dice exploded so many times that I ended up in the 50s for the roll and the GM declared him very, very dead.

So, after an awkward pause, the game continued, and the nobleman's role in the story was replaced by his equally vengeful mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ellbent posted:

Egotistical repost:

I love 7th Sea so dearly. I was once in a game that almost ended before it began. The three players were all siblings of the same Castille family. Alonso, the scholar, Romero, the black sheep, and Marisol the eldest daughter and swordsman.

The first session was a celebration of the youngest daughter's wedding, and there was much merriment until the eldest son of an evil nobility showed up to proclaim he would ruin us, as he was obsessed with the bride.

He got about halfway through the initial vow of revenge before Marisol challenged him to a duel. Romero -- quite drunk -- pushed aside Marisol, pulled out a pistol, and shot him.

My meager dice exploded so many times that I ended up in the 50s for the roll and the GM declared him very, very dead.

So, after an awkward pause, the game continued, and the nobleman's role in the story was replaced by his equally vengeful mother.

That is loving fantastic. I can picture the scene really well, and it's awesome.

Luczak
Mar 1, 2011

So I'm here with a request, inspired by a story in the D&D Next thread of a DM rolling 200 Perception checks for a crowd of peasants.

Have you ever rolled straight 18s in an oldschool D&D game, had a Shadowrun test explode over and over and over again, or dealt with a terrible GM who demanded every single NPC on an entire starship have a chance to smell the gas leak? Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game. There's gotta be some great examples of this in the best/worst experiences back catalog.

I once taught my friend (who was just learning the DM ropes) an important lesson: Bards have "Derail Campaign" as a class feature.

Specifically, though, it was Conrad who taught him this lesson. Conrad was a 4E Bard I had min-maxed for diplomacy and religion. One part travelling salesman and one part shady cleric, he literally carried 12 different holy symbols in his pack.

We'd just returned to our home city after completing a quest for our campaign: we exposed a dragon cult sect in a neighbouring city and learned about a widespread problem that was about to emerge (spoiler: it was more dragons and dragon cults). The important part for this story is that the job paid quite well, so we decided to pool our money and buy, rebuild, and fortify a crossroads trading post. The post had been routinely raided by gnolls, so dealing with them was step one.

We tracked them to a nearby hillside. There were two openings in the hill: a proper tunnel mouth and a hidden waterfall cave. We thought that the hidden entrance - being hidden and all - would give us the drop on anything inside. Instead, it led us inside the gnoll den itself. As our stealth checks failed us, we (read: the paladin) slipped in the tunnel and the muddy ground carried us all into the dimly-lit den.

Dozens of eyes gleamed in the shadows. Kind of a crappy secret tunnel, really, but there we were. And so were all of the gnolls. I mean, all of them. We'd lumped together three encounters by coming this way.

Combat was no longer a survivable option.

So Conrad puts on his biggest smile, performs a quick ritual, and starts talking.

The next 10 minutes were an ad-libbed sermon extolling the virtues violent glory of Yeenoghu, the God of Gnolls. We, of course, were his chosen emissaries, sent to gather the greatest gnolls for Yeenoghu's Pack. Yeenoghu, naturally, was seeking warriors to hunt dragons. and only the best gnoll warriors would do. With utmost confidence, he sent us here first because "you are definitely the best gnolls".

The DM decides I have to roll for each cluster of enemies. He called for nine rolls, ranging from DC 25 to 35. I'm rolling at +15 and, thanks to the ritual I used, I get to pick the better of two rolls.

Eighteen rolls later, I've not only convinced the entire room that not only should they join Yeenoghu's Pack, but they all believe I'm leading tryouts for the pack right now.

At this point, the DM tossed aside his notes for the evening and we took a snack break.

Thus began the Holy Gnoll Crusade.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Kavak posted:

Secondhand, but there's a game out there where a large enough critical hit is represented by rolling all the dice available and adding them together for damage.
I seem to remember the Firefly RPG's rules for spacewalking without a suit, or being exposed to the ship's engines, worked much the same way.

Luczak posted:

Thus began the Holy Gnoll Crusade.
Man I want to be a part of that crusade, and then channel it towards Gorellik, the true Gnoll god. Then proceed on my campaign to set right the theft by Yeenoghu and return the gnolls to their rightful place as not-Demon-worshippers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I would love to witness/be a part of that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I GMed a new World of Darkness game where I did something like that.
The player offered to sacrifice her character to power a spell, I gave her all the available dice (~50 d10s) on the table.
The spell's effects were felt through several planes of reality and unreality which, for the rest of the campaign, was referred to by the surviving PCs as the "Celestial Toothpick".

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So I'm here with a request, inspired by a story in the D&D Next thread of a DM rolling 200 Perception checks for a crowd of peasants.

Have you ever rolled straight 18s in an oldschool D&D game, had a Shadowrun test explode over and over and over again, or dealt with a terrible GM who demanded every single NPC on an entire starship have a chance to smell the gas leak? Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game. There's gotta be some great examples of this in the best/worst experiences back catalog.

So a friend had us create Deadlands characters for a game that never materialized. I've never played the setting and I was the last person to put a character together*. It's an older edition of Deadlands so we're creating characters by drawing poker hands. Everyone else had drawn ok to good hands for their characters, and my friend shuffles the deck and hands it to me. I can't remember exactly what I drew, but one of the players who watched me draw called bullshit immediately. I ended up putting together an harrowed huckster, which I was told was going to be broken as poo poo.

*mostly because I've never learned to shuffle cards correctly. I've destroyed decks trying to learn to bridge the cards.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Error 404 posted:

I GMed a new World of Darkness game where I did something like that.
The player offered to sacrifice her character to power a spell, I gave her all the available dice (~50 d10s) on the table.
The spell's effects were felt through several planes of reality and unreality which, for the rest of the campaign, was referred to by the surviving PCs as the "Celestial Toothpick".
What did it do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cardiovorax posted:

What did it do?

Basically, she created a time and dimensional portal that lead straight 'out' of reality and into the abyss of nothingness between worlds, the player then tackled the big bad into it and they were both completely unmade. Like nobody but the PCs ever knew they existed at all, the only evidence left behind was a magical 'Tunguska event' in the real world, the spirit world, the shadow world, other parallel worlds, etc. that all happened at roughly the same moment.

One player described it "like jabbing a toothpick through a sandwich, if the sandwich was made of multiple realities." Hence, Celestial Toothpick.

This was a severely homebrewed Mage:the Awakening game with elements of Owod Mage: the Ascension fluff added in. To the folks familiar with the old world of darkness, this was our game's version of the Week of Nightmares, to give a sense of scale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The first time we ever tried playing 7th Sea, one of our PCs was a Castillian noble with the crazy fire blood magic stuff. He was solely a duelist and wandering fop, with no knowledge of the ocean. At one point we stole a boat, and realized that between a Russian Peasant Hero, a Fate Witch, and a Noble Fop none of us knew a drat thing about ship sailing or fighting, so Miguel steps up to take a crack at it with just his 3 Wits dice, rolls a 50 after the explosions, and ended up navigating us into not eluding, but rather ramming, boarding, and capturing a frigate that was pursuing us, then convincing the crew to join us and become awesome pirates.

The GM just straight up gave Miguel a couple ranks in sailing and captaining after the session, with the explanation that he was obviously a one in a million natural. We would later go on to defeat an entire armada by means of seagulls (I was the sea gull, Russian magic is awesome for turning into a bird, landing on a sloop, and turning back into a stern, badass Russian hero) and naval forts, at which point we signed up a bunch of them and formed a new pirate nation. Sadly, the game ended right after that as the GM discovered the setting metaplot and suddenly had us fighting demons and things and sorta went off the rails, instead of us just being awesome, accidental wizard-pirates.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hit me with your stupid dice stories

In ~2005 or so I watched one of my players roll ridiculously well when building a Hackmaster 4e character. The details probably don't mean too much to most people reading this and I don't really remember exactly what happened, but he got three 18s in his 6 3d6 rolls for stats, for starters. Then his background rolls gave him a ridiculous number of building points, and that combined with some other stuff let him start with 3 ability scores above 20, two of which were definitely going to increase the first time he levelled. Oh, and he rolled "noble" on the birth charts, which meant he started with fantastically good equipment.

He lasted 2 sessions and then fell in a pit and died without having achieved anything of note. It was like all his good rolls came up during chargen, leaving nothing for the game itself.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Falstaff posted:

Something else I forgot to mention: Adam loved the temple. So much so, in fact, that event gave birth to a fascination for his character with the ancient civilizations of my campaign world, leading to Valkreen turning into something of an archeologist who'd dig up ancient relics not to sell them or add them to his inventory list, but "because they belong in a museum!"

Well he had seen first hand what happens when you just leave ancient relics laying around in ruins: someone might megaenlarge a shambling mound and destroy the ruin with them in it!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
In nWoD, a chance die is what you roll if your pool is 0 dice or less. A single d10 that only succeeds on a 10, and if you roll a 1, it's a critical failure. The 10 does explode, but rolling a chance die ever is like a hail mary. I once rolled 5 10s in a row, which is enough for a crit success. On a chance die. I can't even remember what the roll was, I think it was a perception check to spot a really stealthy ghost or something, hence the penalties that had got me down to a chance die.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game.

I remember DMing a Ravenloft module called Vecna Reborn. Early on the party of five players were to be arrested by guards and brought to Kas the Destroyer. There they would be given their job.

There was a fairly strong NPC with the guards named Tejen the Grim. He made it clear through conversation that the guards arresting them only wanted to talk, so I felt I made it pretty clear to the players that this is what we were doing, you know? Do you want to play or not? Two players didn't. The others gave up and were arrested. Two players and a familiar then killed all 10 guards, including Tejen the Grim. So I sent another ten guards. They were being promptly dispatched to hell whenever I decided, gently caress it, these two players, they've broken the code.

What would happen if you kept killing cops in a city ran by an epic level rear end in a top hat like Kas the Bloody Handed? Eventually he'd take care of the matter himself.

Player 1 Badass Barbarian ended up dying in an epic fight that covered the whole city. The first time I decided to go all out to kill a player. Kas won the fight with only 26 hit points left. I gave him the character back a month later due to convoluted campaign shenanigans.

Player 2 was playing Badass Barbarian's hired goon. Using Kas' stats straight from the book, he had the power to summon 1d10 hundred bats. I rolled 1d10. 3. We rolled 300 d20's, 3 of us, five at a time. Before hand we worked out the bats would only hit on a 19 or 20. The next round we did it again. At the end of it, after 600 dice, Player 2 escaped into a dumpster in an alleyway with 1 hit point left.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

He lasted 2 sessions and then fell in a pit and died without having achieved anything of note. It was like all his good rolls came up during chargen, leaving nothing for the game itself.

In roguelike circles, it's generally accepted that games that start out that well are going to end early and embarrassingly. The RNG is a fickle mistress.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

In roguelike circles, it's generally accepted that games that start out that well are going to end early and embarrassingly. The RNG is a fickle mistress.

Yeah, I know. Hackmaster is supposed to be a similar experience (or really, a by-the-book AD&D experience) and it usually pays off.

But only if everyone's on board with the premise.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, I know. Hackmaster is supposed to be a similar experience (or really, a by-the-book AD&D experience) and it usually pays off.

But only if everyone's on board with the premise.

Yeah, someone getting dicefucked out of an amazing character is perfectly within the theme of Hackmaster.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

During a GURPS sci-fi game, I was playing the salvaging group's science and biology expert. We ended up having a fight against some pirates on the ceiling of a derelict hanger over the rights to salvage the ship, using mag-boots to walk on it.

At the beginning of the fight the GM decided to have me roll simply for walking on the surface in the mag-boots and I crit failed, resulting in me stepping wrong and spraining my ankle. This totally prevented me from doing anything in the fight, as I was left hobbling and awkwardly trying to propel myself in zero-gee and failing to reach any targets before the two guys who smuggled guns into the meeting shot them.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
In Legend of the Five rings, the dice mechanic calls for you to roll a number of d10s and keep a smaller subset of them. This is printed as XkY, literally meaning roll Xd10, keep Y. Any results of 10 are rerolled and added until you don't roll a 10.
I was running a game of L5R a while back, and one of the players got unlucky and died a short way into the game. Since there isn't any resurrection magic, he rerolled a new character. The new guy was from an incredibly tank-y school, took all sorts of endurance and survivability advantages and was generally the toughest bastard around (for those who know the system, the only things he DIDN'T take were the either of the two destiny traits). In his first session, he ended up fighting two peasant bandits. Their traits gave them something like a 5% chance to hit, and being armed with improvised weapons meant they would probably inflict little to no damage on a hit. As a trained samurai, the player naturally wins initiative and cuts down one peasant easily. Then the peasant attacks, and manages to score a hit, although just barely. The peasant was rolling 3k1 damage, basically the lowest amount possible. And then the dice started exploding. While I forget the exact amount, the highest die result was in the low 60s, with another die (that the peasant was unable to keep due to the k1 part) reaching mid 30s. That is enough to kill an average samurai about twice over, and was even higher than the tough tank's hp.
Fortunately, that player's next character survived the rest of the game, despite continuing atrocious luck. Barely a session went by without that character nearly dying or falling unconscious against weak enemies. Powerful enemy warlord of higher level? Not easy, but he fought to a standstill. Enemy militia with a bow? Triple explosion, 2hp left.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Well, that and difficulty ramping.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game.

My DM was running a game that had a bunch of first time players, so he brought me in as a ringer, told me to build a combat monster that could wade in and save someone who gets in over their head. Enter Duril, the Half-Minotaur Warblade. Duril's backstory was that he was basically a breeding experiment by the Drow to make a better gladiator. They succeeded but Duril managed to escape and make it to the surface. Many years later the party had to go down to Meznoberranzan as a part of a diplomatic envoy, and the house that Duril had escaped from decided to try and get him back, declared that we were all spies, and sent a wing of their military/police force to bring him and the rest of the party back as slaves.

I decided to derail the plot a bit and stem the tide of drow while the rest of the party escaped. The DM was just going to 'well they capture you' but I wanted to play it out. The drow surrounded me and got in a few good hits. But I had reach 10, and Adamantine whirlwind.

One round and forty-eight attacks later there were twenty-four less drow in the room.

It took a lot of d20s and even more d6s to get that far, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Was playing Ryuutama with ProfessorProf GMing (he was translating the game for us - this was before the official kickstarter). I was a fighty-built carpenter.

And it turns out roll20 hates my god drat guts. I had a session where I fumbled every single roll from building a fire to completely whiffing on attacks on the Bobcatgoblins with my axe.

I was OOCly frustrated, and Papina would've just been as frustrated at her just failing at everything. It was an aggravating session.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Back in my 3e days, we had a fairly low-level party fighting a black dragon as a major boss fight. As the party's main frontliner, I charged in and hit it with my scythe, and rolled a 20. Scythes only crit on a 20, but do 4x damage. As it turns out, this was just enough damage to force the dragon to make a Fort save against massive damage. On that save, it rolled a 1.

And that was how I ended a boss fight in one turn without being a wizard.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Well, it hasn't broken the game, but one of the players in a 3.5 campaign has literally not rolled above a 10 for I think 4 straight sessions on anything. He was getting rather annoyed with this until he got into combat in a town. Natural 20, confirmed crit. Crossbow dead into the assailant's chest.

Literally walked away with the bow over his back, whistling as the punks ran off.

Also back in the first session my character, possessive of no exceptional strength got into a grapple with a draconic golaith barbarian party member trying to hold him back. And won.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hit me with your stupid dice stories where ridiculous shenanigans with dice - whether due to luck or terrible people at the table - made or broke an entire game. There's gotta be some great examples of this in the best/worst experiences back catalog.

I was once in a Twilight:2000 game (post-apocalyptic World War III setting in Europe) where the character I played was a serious coward. He was an intelligence type, a REMF of the worst type, who hitched a ride with the other player characters when their unit was overrun. Picture Corporal Upham from Saving Private Ryan- He spoke a zillion languages and had a bunch of nerdy skills and was completely useless in combat. His favorite tactic during a firefight was to hide under the nearest vehicle with a knife and stab at anyone who came looking for him.

So at one point the group (maybe 8 PCs and two Hummers) is waylaid by a armed convoy of Polish troopers riding APCs and everyone dismounts to have a powwow and try to bluff our way out of a badly deteriorating situation.

So my character does what he typically does and ducks under the closest vehicle, which is a Polish APC. THe firefight erupts and people are running anywhere for cover as the anti-tank rockets start flying.

One of the PCs launches a rocket at the APC my character is hiding under and gets an ammo hit, annihilating the vehicle. But I say that my PC is hiding under it so he's dead, too. Someone suggests a 1 on a d10 to see if my character somehow survives.

I roll a 1 and it is deemed that the explosion blows up and out and my guy is coated in soot, with most of his clothes and gear incinerated but otherwise intact, lying prone in a blackened crater as flaming pieces of the vehicle rain down around him.

Freaked out, he dives under another vehicle, one of our Hummers, which is promptly hit with a 40mm grenade on the fuel tank.

So he's given another 1 on a d10 to survive and, incredibly he makes it, with the same flaming vehicle results and the same crater and even less personal gear surviving.

He then runs for a third vehicle, another Polish APC, that is hit with an anti-tank rocket and goddamn if he survives this one too with his third 1 on a d10 in a row.

The GM ruled that he had horrible tinnitus, and was prone in a crater completely naked and covered in soot but otherwise unharmed.

We eventually escaped, but my character had no clothes or equipment of any kind and was completely naked.

The other players started calling him "Lucky" except for one player who called him "Flash".

This player ended up surviving the entire campaign arc and made it back to the United States. And remained a coward the entire time. I loved that guy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Agrikk posted:

The GM ruled that he had horrible tinnitus, and was prone in a crater completely naked and covered in soot but otherwise unharmed.

We eventually escaped, but my character had no clothes or equipment of any kind and was completely naked.

The other players started calling him "Lucky" except for one player who called him "Flash".

This player ended up surviving the entire campaign arc and made it back to the United States. And remained a coward the entire time. I loved that guy.

This is amazing. Please tell me you have more of the amazing stories of the Lucky Flash. :allears:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Me: "We're fighting a Bulette, huh?"

DM: :smug: Yeah.

Me: "I fire my bow. Ohhh crit. Ohhh, double crit."

DM: :stare: Roll percentile.

Me: Ohhh, 93%.

DM: The bulette is dead.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Night10194 posted:

This is amazing. Please tell me you have more of the amazing stories of the Lucky Flash. :allears:

Sadly, after robbing a Polish farmer at gunpoint for his clothes and basic gear, Flash went back to being a coward and the only things he did of note were solving some puzzles, accurate land navigation, plotting some troop movements and getting a steam engine running again after it took a RPG to the water tank.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, Poles suck anyway. It's better than most people do.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I AM proud to say that Flash was one of two of the original characters who started the campaign at "Escape from Kalisz" and survived to the end of "Going Home". No small feat in a game system where gunfights with high explosives and automatic weapons occur daily.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So I just finished the second session of a wild west 13th age adventure.

The party is after a magical sponge that was stolen by a bandit, that apparently also caused a drought from sucking up the lake's water. They beat the owl bear bandit boss and recover the sponge.

The party:
Ol' Jackengill - A half-orc Binder who thinks he can talk to the spirits of guns (and might be able to). Refers to himself in the third person and is obsessed with gun's rights (that is, the rights of guns themselves)
Nathan Green Jr. - A human ranger who's developing wild features like claws and fangs
Nigel Corernertooth - (Undead) Golblin Necromancer who was a bandit that was executed by the old world army.
'Doc' Ironsides - Dwarf cleric who killed his own father who was a cruel taskmaster at a mining company.
Jonny Bates - Forgeborn Stalwart who was once a man, but the Gnomes changed him.

Jackengill wants to cut the sponge, as he vowed before. Jackengill makes a strength check to fill top off his canteen (and I am really concerned about him accidently flooding the caves, there's a LOT of water in that sponge, and I let out a "please don't" after describing an aspect of the check)

The doc uses a scalpel from his kit and almost cuts the sponge, but then realizes that this might be a bad idea to do in a cave.

He goes outside to cut it, and nothing bad happens. Unfortunately the merchant notices the sponge isn't as big as it used to be, but they bluff him into believe they found it this way, and he pays them (though at a reduced rate for the reduced sponge), and they get the reward for the head of the bandit leader.

Ol' Jackengill takes the body of the owlbear to make jerky out of it ("good eaten'"), and descides to jam some of the jerky into the robot's gears, and Doc has to clean it out.

The go North to find some stolen guns next, tracking down the bsndit to a small town called Edge. They arrive at the tavern. Jackengill stays outside for a bit first to interigate a well (GM: *roll a d8* "We need to go NorthEast!").

Inside they are told to talk to a drunken prospector, Jackengill steals his whiskey and Jonny bashes his head against the table (a great way to make friends! He would have been happy to share what he knows). They apollogize and buy him a drink and he gives some info. They head out. but not before noting a grey runner (native wolf-people in this setting) who's watching them. After being unwilling to share info, he calls out Jackengill to a gunfight. and they duel and Jackengill dramatically walks slowly up to the target while shooting him, killing him.

At a small trading post and telegraph office (Jackengill: "Which way is it?" "NorthEast" "See! Told you!") they find some of the guns in a display. Jackengill stays outside to talk to the guns, and the others talk to the shop keeper.

Meanwhile inside the shop keeper is happy to help, and gives them some information on where they would be hiding out (though they already knew from the guns). At that moment Jackengill shatters the window, grabs the rifles and runs.

The rest of the group apologizes for the mess and Jackengill's "official banker" (Doc?) pays for the window, and vows to get money to compensate the shopkeeper for what the rifles. Jakengill runs to the nearest post office, realizing that the nearest post office is the place he just robbed. The outpost keeper agrees to hold onto the rifles in the back until they get back from dealing with the bandit.

It's alternating between violent gun fights and goofy nonsense. :)

edit: Wow, this was long, edited down more of a highlights of the more interesting moments.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 28, 2014

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Not as over the top as some of the other dice stories, but I was in a Dark*Matter game years ago where one of the characters had a flaw called "Old Wound" - if you rolled a critical failure (nat 20 on a d20) on a physical check during a fight, your old wound acts up and you take some damage. In one fight he rolled 3 crit failures in a row, dealing enough damage to knock him unconscious and start him bleeding to death. Whoever we were fighting at the time didn't even touch him.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Idiot Syncratic posted:

Not as over the top as some of the other dice stories, but I was in a Dark*Matter game years ago where one of the characters had a flaw called "Old Wound" - if you rolled a critical failure (nat 20 on a d20) on a physical check during a fight, your old wound acts up and you take some damage. In one fight he rolled 3 crit failures in a row, dealing enough damage to knock him unconscious and start him bleeding to death. Whoever we were fighting at the time didn't even touch him.

We had something a bit like this in a D&D game years ago. We had a gnome cleric who had a pick and axe combo weapon that was sentient, and had something of an ego. If he rolled a natural 1, the weapon would thump him out of anger for him making such a shite attack (otherwise it was a very good magical weapon). Once during a tense fight, he rolled three 1's in a very short period of time and ended up in negative health. We barely managed to stabilize him at -8 HP and the player didn't want to use the weapon anymore after that fight, which lead to the weapon getting pissy about being ignored... but that's another story.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I managed to destroy my own mech in a Battletech game several turns before the enemy entered the map.

We had started a campaign with green characters, I think my stats were Pilot: 5 Gunnery: 6. We were in light mechs and setting up an ambush for some pirates on something.

I completely forgot that my character was a complete n00b and decided to park my mech in a nearby stream to help stay cool during the coming battle. I entered a water hex... and failed my piloting skill roll. Fell down, took damage.

Tried to get up... and failed my piloting skill roll. Fell down, took damage.

Tried to get up... and failed my piloting skill roll. Fell down, took damage.

Tried to get up... and failed my piloting skill roll. Fell down, torso breached, engine destroyed.

I sat on a rock and whittled while the pirates made short work of my lancemates.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

I managed to destroy my own mech in a Battletech game several turns before the enemy entered the map.

You should read the battletech campaign in the Let's Play forum if you haven't. We have such wonders to show you.

For Battletech, I don't think anything will ever top watching a mech punch it's own head to destruction though. Thank god I wasn't the one that did that.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Played Monster of the Week for the first time with a few players who'd never gamed before. They took to it pretty quickly, getting into the swing of things fully after a few scenes. The one player with more experience gaming now prefers *World games to all others (it had been her first).

All this despite almost every roll ending in abject 6- failure. I think that the players enjoyed the cascading comedy of errors.

Definitely one of my favorite systems for new players now.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

We played in a custom world with quasi home brew version of 3.5.

The principle characters are
Turabian- Human wizard (Me)
Smag – Dwarf fighter (matt)
Leken – Half-Elf Rogue (Hal)
DM - Justin
We had several other players but they were mostly there because of relations with the principle players and not very dedicated. They missed a lot of sessions…..
Our DM was an amazing world builder and exceled at describing battles but had difficulty-saying no; often Matt, Hal and myself would play their characters.

My PC Turabian was a black human wizard who couldn’t jump (for some reason I seemed to fail every single loving check that required jumping). He was neutral aligned and his background was that his primary and sole factor for adventuring was the acquisition of magical power trying to match the power of his mother who was an archmage.

It began when we were clearing out a dungeon under the estate the party had taken from a medusa (before I joined the group). We were going about mopping up the last remnants of her goblin minions. In the course of this, we came upon a very, very beautiful woman named Marishka, who was inscrutable to all means of magical intrusion into her mind. My PC began to talk to her and was quickly taken under the succubus’s sway. I did my darndest to not meta-game and played the role of being completely in love with her. She for a while joined our party against the extremely vocal and very frequent protests of the irate Matt who called her dirty from day one. Leken’s player was a very quiet one and excellent in a tight spot but not vocal in decision-making, he just went with the flow offering caution only once before returning to business.

Now matt was a great player for a stereotypical dwarf. He was loud, gruff loved ale and made his opinions known to all. It wasn’t exactly the hardest race/character for him to role-play. He and I had a lot of fun playing off each other and he saved my neck more then a few times including a memorable time when I jumped into a pit naked (we had been captured and striped to be experimented on) that was filled with an unknown quantity of mysterious foes (I tried to play neutral truly neutral) and he alone jumped in and thumped the bad guys ensuring my survival.

Anyways it turns out that the big baddie daemon/god Deshek, who is trying return and enslave the world sent Marishka to spy on our band of adventures because we had kicked the crap out of some of his minions. Anyways it turns out the succubus, Marishka, starts to see our party as a way out of her slavery to Deshek. Well being a god, he finds out, and is none too pleased. He sends a murder group to kill us and get her back. A tough encounter later that almost laid waste to the party, the succubus is captured and taken back to the abyss to suffer for all eternity. Tuarabian being totally in love immediately decides we have to rescue her. A few dope dice rolls on persuasion checks later and I’ve convinced the Dwarf as well. Everyone else follows suit after that.

At this point the news come down the pipe that our DM has been resigned to another army base in Washington and that the game will be ending in a few sessions.

So the next few weeks are spent tying up lose ends and finding info about where we have to go in the ABYSS to save a SUCUBUS! We learn from the DM that the confrontation with Deshek will be our last game.

This news leads to me bothering Justin [DM] via text to kill my character the last day in spectacular fashion. He kept saying no. He didn’t want to. He believed the encounter would be tough enough and that we all had a good chance of dying but that the finish should occur naturally. I could vibe with that, trusting he had something up his sleeve.

So the last game session arrives and everyone is there. Which totals like 6 players. The fight to get to Deshek is intense; we fight our way through some loving tough baddies. The druid has her animal companion offed and we have to stabilize two other PC’s. With liberal use of potions and prayers we have our health and spells restored before we meet Deshek.

So we enter the room and Deshek is seated on a throne in the center of the room with the succubus chained to his chair, princess Leia style. We begin to parley. Being the lore hound of the party (I had a lot of points invested in knowledge skills) I begin talking to him in attempt to glean info while secretly plotting his demise. This is when thing begin to go awry. he makes the standard evil bro offer,
“Join me and have access to unlimited power. I can teach you spells and incantations beyond your comprehension, all you have to do is kill your friends to prove your loyalty”

My gut reaction was to say no. Then I start thinking.

This is the last session. It would be an exciting way to end. Compounding my interest, Turabian’s mission statement is expressly this! to achieve the maximum amount of power possible. It makes a lot of sense from a gaming and character standpoint.

I walk closer to Deshek's throne and away from the party and begin asking him questions about his offer. My comrades are completely bewildered. Deshek begins to egg me on. Using his knowledge as a deity, enticing me. “You’ll be more powerful then your mother, your name will ring out forever, the gods themselves will fear you, you’ll lead my armies conquering all, you will have Marshika back”

The rest of the party is going nuts. They are yelling at me to ignore him. To come back, to prepare to fight Deshek, and that we must defeat him. Leken in his very calm demeanor tells the party to prepare themselves. It was already too late.

I turn and launch a fireball. It outright kills the druid and knocks down the bard. The party is down to 3 (not including me). Everyone else is seriously damaged and only Leken avoids the blast because he was prepared and has some Rogue reflex feat. We role initiative, the order is: Hal, Matt, me, the Ranger, and then the paladin. Hal attacks me and does 10, which may not sound like much but I’m majorly squishy. The blow is like 1/3 of my health. My turn is up, I cast Invisibility, greater. Matt spots me and attacks but misses on the percentage role. The ranger and paladin fail their location attempts.

Hal and Matt both fail to locate me on their second turns (4 in a row! :worship:) and on my next go I cast stone skin and move as far away from the party as I can. Hal again hits and does 12 damage but I only take 2 because the stones skin negates the first 10. The dwarf deals 15 which ends up being 5. Its my turn now and again I put as much distance between the party and myself as possible and launch a fireball. Devestation. I Kill everyone, (including the knocked down bard) but the ranger (who rolled a 20 on his reflex :argh:) and Smag who has maybe ten HP left. Their next turns 2 they locate me. First, the ranger does only a 7 or 8 on his rapid shot attack and having stone skin on he cant hurt me. While the dwarf again missies on the second role (God almighty is invisibility, greater awesome!) a magic missile attack on my next turn puts Smag on ice.

At this point Matt storms out yelling about “betraying the party and I never should’ve saved you all those times!” On one hand I’m enjoying myself immensely but I do also feel bad about upsetting the other players. I just keep repeating to him it wasn’t out of character and I’m simply RPing.

With the Dwarf gone and the ranger unable to do damage. It takes 1 lightning bolt to scorch him out of existence and one more magic missile put the knocked down dwarf into deep freeze.

A TPK!!!!! :clint:

in truth the only reason i ended up winning was the initial fireball catching the party grouped and off guard, plus some really lucky rolls.
When Justin decided that Deshek turned me into an arcane skull with infinite knowledge and power but no ability to use it unless wielded by Deshek himself. Meaning Turabian essentially ended up being a paperweight in a library of books of power for all time the group calmed down and it seemed as good a way as any to end a group. It took Matt a little longer then the rest and I'm not sure he ever fully forgave me.

srry about the :words:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sneaky Fast posted:

srry about the :words:

... why? It's a good story.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I dunno, betraying the party is usually a cat-piss inducer. I'd have considered you a real shithead if I was a player in that game and probably not invite you to any new game if I was in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We have had a thing going at my FLGS where a character who became the new Bhaalspawn at the end of Murder in Baldur's Gate returns to serve as a super end boss monster to later parties, played by the player who ran her originally.

I have a fantastic balor mini, so it only makes sense.

The original confrontation, when she first turned into a demon, ended when half the party split from the other half to help her, resulting in what was honestly a really satisfying TPK. It's important to note that the Bhaalspawn was not aligned with anyone in the party, and the end result was that Baldur's Gate was effectively destroyed, at least for the purposes of human habitation.

The second confrontation, at the end of a very eventful Legacy of the Crystal Shard in which Icewind Dale was also destroyed, again had about half the party go rogue on the other half during the fight with the Bhaalspawn. It was dangerously close to becoming a tradition. I think 2-3 characters out of 7 or 8 survived, but the Bhaalspawn triumphed again.

I think they finally defeated her in the third campaign (I couldn't be there for that finale), but I am fully intending to build an entire campaign around having the party go spelunking through the ruins of Baldur's Gate to find and destroy her once and for all.

Anyway, no one was sore about anything after these endings. We're not an extremely serious group.