Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's basically "gently caress you, got mine" at its purest essence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Filthy Casual posted:

Really hoping for a begrudging team-up with Zaheer in the series' finale vs. whatever super big bad guy they come up with. Speaking of, where are they gonna from here? I always wondered whether guns could be a factor in the show, it seems contrary to the spirit of the franchise, but at least Asami could have some meaningful participation in a major battle.
I honestly expect in the end to have the past lives restored in Korra's spirit even though that is probably a terrible thing to do.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm nearly done binging Season 3 and I'm impressed there isn't much for me to complain about. The villains stay strong with mentioning that Zaheer isn't completely out of the picture and the new air benders weren't that bad. Only problem I have is that no one tried to confront mister "change happens and people should accept that" Tenzin and tell him that the New Air Nation shouldn't just repeat the near dead culture of his father because he wants it to be. Why should all the air benders be Air Nomads? And I'm not talking about the bad recruiting program they ran that only lucked out because the Earth Queen was a crooked despot, I mean more people to join up but want the new air culture to be defined on their own terms or mailable to their input. Particularly with Republic City and Zaofu existing and hopefully spreading some sort of democratic or Individualist ideals around.

Also, still mad that we don't see an incredibly powerful old Toph, but what can you do.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Zaheer's insurrectionist notions of flat-out eradicating world leaders when they're obviously corrupt and harmful is...well, we can argue about whether it's ethically right to assassinate someone, but it's still an understandable opinion that someone rational could conceivably arrive at. It's a blunt force trauma solution to a complex problem, but it's not really a dumb, unthinking blunt force solution. It's the Red vs White Lotus, Bolin Pai Sho vs Asami Pai Sho paradigm. The direct forceful approach for short-term gains, vs the slow burn strategic approach for long-term goals.

The problem is when he starts talking about the natural order being disorder and how chaos is the rightful state of the world. Isn't that just a fancy poetic way to say that anyone should just be allowed to do whatever they want with no consequences? What determines right from wrong, in a world of chaos? Personal preference?

Moreover, he goes on to talk about how, in this new world, you will only have allegiance to yourself and to those you love. So basically...only people who benefit you personally deserve your loyalty or consideration. "I got mine, gently caress everyone else."

Really, Zaheer's filled to the brim with selfish and barbaric notions dressed up with elegant words.

ethical egoism goes back far enough in the history of various civilizations that I don't know that it should be called ~barbaric, as such.

Impractical and generally selfish and amoral, yes, but it's an ethos that has appealed to a wide variety of people from various philosophical traditions and seems like a reasonable enough thing for a villainous character to come up with.

It does make kind of a weird pairing with Zaheer's fixation on airbending philosophy and its Buddhist influences, though.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crabtree posted:

Only problem I have is that no one tried to confront mister "change happens and people should accept that" Tenzin and tell him that the New Air Nation shouldn't just repeat the near dead culture of his father because he wants it to be. Why should all the air benders be Air Nomads? And I'm not talking about the bad recruiting program they ran that only lucked out because the Earth Queen was a crooked despot, I mean more people to join up but want the new air culture to be defined on their own terms or mailable to their input. Particularly with Republic City and Zaofu existing and hopefully spreading some sort of democratic or Individualist ideals around.

I think the one off episode in the air temple basically confronts this head on. One episode definitely did outright say "yeah not everyone has to be a Nomad".

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Crabtree posted:

Only problem I have is that no one tried to confront mister "change happens and people should accept that" Tenzin and tell him that the New Air Nation shouldn't just repeat the near dead culture of his father because he wants it to be. Why should all the air benders be Air Nomads?

Wasn't the entire point of the end that Tenzin changed? He did make Jinora an master and realized that the Air nation couldn't live like it did when Ang was born. He still wanted to save something of the Air nations traditions but he also changed their entire way of life and gave the nation a new mission to defend the world precisely because it couldn't stay the same.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I just finished watching the season with my brother and our biggest complaints were the lack of logical consistency.

At any fight with the Red Lotus waterbending lady, Mako could have loving electrocuted her. Instead he shot fire at her every single time and she beat the hell out of him until the very last fight.

Korra could have gone into the avatar state in any of her fights with the Red Lotus before the end without being poisoned and absolutely wiped the loving floor with them. Instead, she tries to fight fair? Hell, she could have gone into the avatar state any of the many times she was captured or otherwise in peril and never did until the very end. And even then she was being handily beaten by Zaheer, a master airbender, sure, but not supercharged. Meanwhile, Aang handily demolished a supercharged master firebender in Ozai effortlessly in the avatar state. Yes, he wasn't poisoned, but he stopped Ozai in far less time than it took Korra to gently caress around.

I guess I don't like that Korra is a dumbass who loves a good fight but is awful at the actual act of fighting.

Book 3 was still better than the first 2 books though. I liked that the villains actually had some sympathetic aspects to them - it's a lot better than "muahahaha I'm gonna to destroy the world" type things.

Also, poo poo got dark towards the end. Combustion girl loving blew her own head up. Korra fighting the posion and avatar state was troubling for a show aimed at kids. So was what boiled down to suicide by lava.

I'm hoping that the next book doesn't have Big Big Villains, I'd like it to be something like Korra having to deal with the unrest in the Earth kingdom or something like that. Hell, following the parallels found earlier between the earth kingdom and China, it could be nationalists against communists or something. Does she side with one corrupt devil or the other? They explored some pretty interesting ground in terms of politics in a children's cartoon in this book, I'd really enjoy if they pushed that even harder. But then again, I have my degrees in political science, so I'm a bit biased.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

At any fight with the Red Lotus waterbending lady, Mako could have loving electrocuted her. Instead he shot fire at her every single time and she beat the hell out of him until the very last fight.

No he couldn't have. He electrocuted her by surprise by shooting the water she was standing in. She was agile enough to dodge his attacks otherwise.

AlmightyPants posted:

Korra could have gone into the avatar state in any of her fights with the Red Lotus before the end without being poisoned and absolutely wiped the loving floor with them.

What fights? The two fights she had with them before she was A) knocked out while she was sleeping and B) Had her arms and legs bound. Even when she went Avatar State she couldn't bend platinum.

AlmightyPants posted:

And even then she was being handily beaten by Zaheer, a master airbender,

No she wasn't. Literally the only reason she didn't shove her fist into his face is because the lethal poison she was fighting against finally overwhelmed her. Right before she collapses she's charging towards a disabled Zaheer about to punch him. Despite the massive handicap of being literally dying. Aang was healthy and whole, Korra was on the verge of collapse the entire fight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 26, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/25/the-legend-of-korra-game-release-date-and-new-mode-plus-what-to-expect-in-book-4

Some Korra interviews with the cast and Crew.

Konietzko kind of (?) confirms that lavabending comes from earth and fire bending heritage.

edit: also confirms he still gives no fucks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, the thing is that she does end up forcibly breaking those platinum chains later on when she's in the Avatar state, so we're left to wonder why she didn't just do that in the first place. Also, we've seen Aang be able to bend in the Avatar state without a ton of motion. I actually agree that it's weird that Korra couldn't use the Avatar state to escape being restrained, even back when she was captured by the Earth Queen.

PupsOfWar posted:

It does make kind of a weird pairing with Zaheer's fixation on airbending philosophy and its Buddhist influences, though.
Well, Buddhism can be kinda hosed up sometimes too. It's not a stretch for some zealot or another to take its notion of detachment too far to a point of amorality and apathy towards others.

Of course, that runs counter to Buddha explicitly saying on multiple occasions that cutting yourself from the world entirely is not the same as enlightenment, but what can ya do :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well, the thing is that she does end up forcibly breaking those platinum chains later on when she's in the Avatar state, so we're left to wonder why she didn't just do that in the first place.

The chains she broke were ones embedded in a stone wall.

BrianWilly posted:

Also, we've seen Aang be able to bend in the Avatar state without a ton of motion.

Aang had the combined knowledge of all the previous Avatars. Korra doesn't.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

AlmightyPants posted:

I just finished watching the season with my brother and our biggest complaints were the lack of logical consistency.

Korra could have gone into the avatar state in any of her fights with the Red Lotus before the end without being poisoned and absolutely wiped the loving floor with them. Instead, she tries to fight fair? Hell, she could have gone into the avatar state any of the many times she was captured or otherwise in peril and never did until the very end. And even then she was being handily beaten by Zaheer, a master airbender, sure, but not supercharged. Meanwhile, Aang handily demolished a supercharged master firebender in Ozai effortlessly in the avatar state. Yes, he wasn't poisoned, but he stopped Ozai in far less time than it took Korra to gently caress around.

I guess I don't like that Korra is a dumbass who loves a good fight but is awful at the actual act of fighting.

Book 3 was still better than the first 2 books though. I liked that the villains actually had some sympathetic aspects to them - it's a lot better than "muahahaha I'm gonna to destroy the world" type things.

Also, poo poo got dark towards the end. Combustion girl loving blew her own head up. Korra fighting the posion and avatar state was troubling for a show aimed at kids. So was what boiled down to suicide by lava.

I was wondering why we didn't see the Avatar state earlier in the season. Maybe Korra just figured she learned her lesson in season 2 about using it all the time, and also there was that plot problem of her going into the Avatar state in front of the Red Lotus and them not trying to immediately murder her. But she easily could have used it to get out of Hannibal Lector chair.

As for the villains, since they clearly couldn't imprison them, I figured most of them were going to die off in the finale by falling off cliffs or whatever, but only Ghazan really killed himself. P'li and Ming Hua were straight killed by the Beifongs and Mako respectively. Zaheer getting owned by Avatar Korra was pretty awesome AND hilarious, like he forgot all about how she turns into a being super mech when she wants to and that wasn't going to be a huge problem for him. There were a lot of parallels to the Aang/Ozai fight, especially with the scenery (how are those rock pillars naturally formed exactly?) and Korra using rocket boots.

I would also not be surprised if the Earth Kingdom is taken over by at least one warlord who comes in to fill the vacuum, as that is what happens when you tear down an existing government. See: China in 1911, Libya right now. Ironically, the Earth Queen is somewhat based on the Dowager Emperor Cixi, who, had she lived longer, probably would have transitioned China into a constitutional monarchy. That was more or less her plan when she died of natural causes in 1908.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

BrianWilly posted:

Well, the thing is that she does end up forcibly breaking those platinum chains later on when she's in the Avatar state, so we're left to wonder why she didn't just do that in the first place. Also, we've seen Aang be able to bend in the Avatar state without a ton of motion. I actually agree that it's weird that Korra couldn't use the Avatar state to escape being restrained, even back when she was captured by the Earth Queen.
Well, Buddhism can be kinda hosed up sometimes too. It's not a stretch for some zealot or another to take its notion of detachment too far to a point of amorality and apathy towards others.

Of course, that runs counter to Buddha explicitly saying on multiple occasions that cutting yourself from the world entirely is not the same as enlightenment, but what can ya do :v:

There's a lot of Buddhist stories of Enlightened masters doing terrible things either to gain Enlightenment in the first place (so that makes it OK) or after to teach someone a lesson, because once you are Enlightened you have left the karmic cycle and can take no "negative" actions and accrue no negative karma. So nothing you do is negative.

There story of Guru Rinpoche, who I mentioned a couple pages ago, involves his father locking him away in the palace for his early life so he wouldn't become a Buddhist master as the prophecy foretold. To escape, he straight up murdered a guy with a trident so he would get banished from the kingdom. Then he went into a graveyard to learn about death and he ate the offerings people left for the souls of the departed (that were meant to prevent them from starving in the underworld), and when people figured that out and stopped leaving food, he dug up the bodies and ate them. But whatever, he gained Enlightenment, so I guess it was all okay in the end, right? Except for all of those dead people. And that one guy.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

No he couldn't have. He electrocuted her by surprise by shooting the water she was standing in. She was agile enough to dodge his attacks otherwise.

What fights? The two fights she had with them before she was A) knocked out while she was sleeping and B) Had her arms and legs bound. Even when she went Avatar State she couldn't bend platinum.

No she wasn't. Literally the only reason she didn't shove her fist into his face is because the lethal poison she was fighting against finally overwhelmed her. Right before she collapses she's charging towards a disabled Zaheer about to punch him. Despite the massive handicap of being literally dying. Aang was healthy and whole, Korra was on the verge of collapse the entire fight.

The thing is, he had the power to shoot loving electricity the entire time. He's had it all along. It seems like electricity is a good hard counter to water. Fire, which never worked, was not.

When they were fighting in the second the last episode on the stone pillar it seems like it wouldn't matter if it was platinum. She loving turned into the Incredible Hulk in the avatar state. I don't buy that she couldn't either shred those chains or loving melt them or slice them with ice or air or whatever. Also, see when she was on the airship in her Hannibal Lecter getup.

I'm pretty sure it was established that the lethal poison wasn't instant death. She spent the better part of the final fight being all Hulk Smash instead of using her avatar powers to crush Zaheer into a tiny ball of flesh and bones. I just rewatched the Aang/Ozai fight, which this was intended to parallel, and Ozai, who is made out to be the best firebender in the world at the pinnacle of his powers and then boosted by the comet, is pitiful compared to the avatar. The avatar in the avatar state is more or less a god. It seems strange to me that a god-like being would be unable to purge itself of metal, which it has learned how to control, nevermind any other impurities. Even a somewhat weakened god should still demolish a mere man in seconds.

I understand why these things were done for story/dramatic reasons, but the logical inconsistencies annoy me.

Also, I hate Kai, the Scrappy Doo of Korra. gently caress that awful character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

The thing is, he had the power to shoot loving electricity the entire time. He's had it all along. It seems like electricity is a good hard counter to water. Fire, which never worked, was not.

It is a hard counter if you can hit with it and it's demonstrably harder to hit with than fire. Also fire did work. The reason she retreated into the underground in the first place was because Mako evaporated all her water, remember?

AlmightyPants posted:

When they were fighting in the second the last episode on the stone pillar it seems like it wouldn't matter if it was platinum. She loving turned into the Incredible Hulk in the avatar state. I don't buy that she couldn't either shred those chains or loving melt them or slice them with ice or air or whatever. Also, see when she was on the airship in her Hannibal Lecter getup.

She needs to be able to move to do most of that. In the airship she had access to nothing but air (which they couldn't do anything about) but was bound so tightly she couldn't even do basic movements.

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm pretty sure it was established that the lethal poison wasn't instant death.

It wasn't instant death but it was literally putting her entire body into uncontrollable agony and had long-lasting repercussions on her even after she pulled it out. There is literally no logical inconsistency here. She was in the process of dying and was being held together only by the Avatar state. She was in screaming agony and was (at least partially) hallucinating. None of that went away because she went into the Avatar state.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 26, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't instant death but it was literally putting her entire body into uncontrollable agony and had long-lasting repercussions on her even after she pulled it out.

Also if it was mercury (or fantasy-mercury) it was probably loving with her head some too. Like causing her to hallucinate. There was also the rage at the attempted murder and, as she thought at the time, the murder of her father whom she has always been shown to be close to. Also the attempted murders and general kidnappings of everyone else she knows and loves.

So basically she was blinded by immense pain and rage, hence the HULK SMASH aspect.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Aang had 100s of Avatars to help him in the Avatar state, Korra does not.

vOv

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Interesting. So they've confirmed what has been pretty much deduced in this thread: being a great martial artist, Zaheer simply applied airbending to his already outstanding abilities and amplified them, hence the rapid learning rate. Plus, he was SO spiritual, you guys.

Good enough for me.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So having not watched Korra since the end of the first season i decided to catch up on the weekend.

I watched all of book 2 and 3 in a weekend.

I have to say. It was a good weekend. :downs:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Talkc posted:

So having not watched Korra since the end of the first season i decided to catch up on the weekend.

I watched all of book 2 and 3 in a weekend.

I have to say. It was a good weekend. :downs:

I've got to ask. I've been watching all seasons the way they were released (one-two episodes at a time) but I never binged on Season 2 (or 1 and 3, for that matter). How did it look to you? Were there problems with pacing, coherence, structure?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

PiedPiper posted:

I've got to ask. I've been watching all seasons the way they were released (one-two episodes at a time) but I never binged on Season 2 (or 1 and 3, for that matter). How did it look to you? Were there problems with pacing, coherence, structure?

I think pacing would have been worse had i not binged. I feel the show has some ending moments in episodes that resonated pretty strongly when you immediately fold them into the next event.

Also transitioning from Book 2-3 is completely smooth since the timeline picks up so close together.

The only downside to the binge method of watching it, is you get a LOT of Bolinn back to back. And his buffoonery is to me, the low point of the show, as his comedic interruptions often deflate the tension out of a ton of crucial moments in the series.

I love the show, but i honestly dislike Bolinn immensely.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd like it if Bolin and Mako were sort of not there in Book 4, and it was the New Adventures of Korra and Asami, but it'll never happen.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

AlmightyPants posted:

The only other times Mako uses electricity is when he's working at a power plant and that one time riding a car. It's abundantly clear that he is not a natural with it and needs to be still to do it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Someone needs to remind the guy writing Bolin that "brevity is the soul of wit"

He does have some good lines but they're always the short ones or visual stuff like that wink.

Bolin only gets tedious when they drag it out - the loving bird calls and him explaining the sock

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 26, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Jackard posted:

Someone needs to remind the guy writing Bolin that "brevity is the soul of wit"

Bolin does have some good lines but they're always the short ones or visual stuff like that wink.

He only gets tedious when they drag it out - the loving bird calls and him explaining the sock

Someone needs to remind him that Bolin is no Sokka. Nor should he be.
Edit: As I've said, I started rewatching Season 1 and looking back at the recent season, the flanderization of Bolin becomes REALLY apparent. Also, he used to look less bulky and angular.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 26, 2014

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

The only other times Mako uses electricity is when he's working at a power plant and that one time riding a car. It's abundantly clear that he is not a natural with it and needs to be still to do it.

Yeah, it seemed like in the underground lake cavern there wasn't a chance to miss, while in other situations armless water bender was too fluid of a target to actually land a precision lightning strike.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

Really hoping for a begrudging team-up with Zaheer in the series' finale vs. whatever super big bad guy they come up with. Speaking of, where are they gonna from here? I always wondered whether guns could be a factor in the show, it seems contrary to the spirit of the franchise, but at least Asami could have some meaningful participation in a major battle.

It'll be Zaheer and Team Avatar versus Korra. Korra's gonna be the next villain.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Who knows maybe she'll find a way to reconnect with her past lives again?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Babygravy posted:

Who knows maybe she'll find a way to reconnect with her past lives again?

Aang knows how to cheer her up!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Clearly she's connected to her past lives still...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

"brevity is the soul of wit"

People tend to forget that this line was written by Shakespeare, the most long-winded motherfucker in the English language. :ironicat:

There are several ways to justify Mako not using lightning until the very end. The question is whether or not you want to justify it. If you want to think it's stupid, then no justification will be good enough for you. If you don't, there's everything from 'he just didn't think of it' to 'he didn't think he could hit her with it until she was literally swimming in water' to 'he's a cop and he didn't actually want to kill her unless he had to.'

Hell, that'd be a pretty interesting (if dark) arc for Mako next season, coming to terms with the fact that he straight up killed somebody. Not Suyin though. Pretty sure P'Li is neither Suyin's first kill, nor her last. :black101:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PiedPiper posted:

As I've said, I started rewatching Season 1 and looking back at the recent season, the flanderization of Bolin becomes REALLY apparent. Also, he used to look less bulky and angular.
I'd have to agree, most of these season one jokes aren't as grating.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I will say, when combustion chick got the helmet that shocked me. I didn't expect that kind of implied brutality.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I really though she'd just fire a pellet at her head, not her whole plate of armor.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Jack Skeleton posted:

Clearly she's connected to her past lives still...

God dammit someone needs to buy me a new keyboard, that face at the end made me spit coke every where.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Spergatory posted:

People tend to forget that this line was written by Shakespeare, the most long-winded motherfucker in the English language. :ironicat:
Shakespeare? The MOST long-winded? What about James Joyce or G.K.Chesterton?
Please present your evidence in this topically appropriate thread.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Talkc posted:

I will say, when combustion chick got the helmet that shocked me. I didn't expect that kind of implied brutality.

I had a feeling they would do something by bending their metal armor, I just didn't expect it in quite that way.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well this guy's art certainly has improved.

Still think the ones from ATLA were funnier though. :)

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
:lol: at the Vaatu one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

Still think the ones from ATLA were funnier though. :)

You're gonna have to link them, because these were hilarious.

• Locked thread