Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Narcissus1916 posted:

For all five of you who are following my Mario playthrough...

Finally beat Mario Bros 3 properly!

CONGRATULATIONS!

It was fun hearing about your experience, and I'm glad goons were able to help you out. I wish Nintendo would release more VC titles, Gamecube or otherwise, because it would be really neat to see people discover some great games they might have missed out on. I hope more people will share stories like this, because they're neat!

Chaltab posted:

The transfer doesn't mess with homebrew at all.

Thanks for helping Stan out, Chaltab. This is a question that came up a few times in the previous thread. Ultigonio, more than the game review stuff I think a FAQ with answers like these would be the most helpful thing to add to the OP. Do you still have all the questions together from when you asked for them in the previous thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Narcissus1916 posted:

For all five of you who are following my Mario playthrough...

Finally beat Mario Bros 3 properly! Well, if by properly you mean "with a walkthrough next to me for the last half of the game and using some of the 1up tricks other goons mentioned".

Still, I felt like a goddamn boss getting to the final world. And weirdly enough, the final world isn't all that tough. Looks way more imposing than it actually is. But world 7? With all the plants and mazes and goddamn tricky rear end levels? Yeah, that's what stymied my childhood.

And while I just worked a 15 hour shift (last day of the summer job) and don't feel like rambling out a review - I will say that it is easy to see why SMB3 is still so beloved. It's not the most balanced mario game out there, but it is absolutely exploding with new ideas and items and gimmicks and themes.

There's something awesome about them putting in so many items for the hell of it. I frankly much prefer super mario world's One Item storage box, but holding onto over 30 powerups in SMB3 feels gamebreaking in the very best sort of way.

And while I still wish more levels had more opportunities for mario to power up within the level itself, the level design really is impeccable. For most of the game, the developers do hand you the things you want - if you know where to look. So if you're playing as super mario and there's a secret pipe you have to fly to, there's a good chance somewhere in the level is the racoon leaf.

About to play Super Mario world for the first time in nearly a decade - but this is one game I've already beaten. Never did find all the exits or beat all the star road levels though.

Congrats. Did you get all the whistles? The game has a built-in speedrun catapult once you have two of them, which you can get in the first world relatively quick. If you warp while on the warp screen, it takes you to the final world.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I meant to reply to this when it was being posted a few days ago and filling up the thread with "woe is Nintendo vs NO"... but didn't for whatever reason. Someone said something about the new Call of Duty will be no different and boring and etc etc.

This one at least seems like it has potential to be the most different so far. I was somewhat interested in it, but hate playing FPS outside of keyboard and mouse. I think the game could possibly be interesting (racist 12 year old opponents aside) with the super future stuff. Ever since playing a huge amount of Starsiege Tribes forever ago, normal FPS has been too boring to me without the ability to fly and be more than just a brown mans running in the sand/dirt/street/tree/whatever.

That being said I am pretty excited about Splatoon. Maybe it's because I was sick and stuck in bed / my chair for 2 days and out of work... but I watched almost all of the Treehouse stuff this year and wondered why everyone was complaining about one map / one mode would be boring.. when clearly every time they started up a match it said something like : "Game mode: Deathmatch." Or at least it said "Deathmatch" which lead me to believe there was more than just that type.

Hell it may have been something other than deathmatch, considering Nintendo and also it being about who has more paint on the map. Either way it mentioned some kind of game mode.. and I eagerly await more information on more modes. Didn't they say something about some kind of tower climb one or something?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not too interested in Splatoon because multiplayer arena shooters aren't my favorite thing in the world, but I am eager to see what the single player mode will be like. That will be the deciding factor for me as to whether I buy it or not.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Transferring Xenoblade to my Wii U was painless. All I did was put an SD card into my Wii, copy the save data from the Wii to the SD card, pop out the SD card, put it into my Wii U, launch Wii mode, copy SD data to Wii, and I was playing Xenoblade on my gamepad (with a classic controller of course :().

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Congrats. Did you get all the whistles? The game has a built-in speedrun catapult once you have two of them, which you can get in the first world relatively quick. If you warp while on the warp screen, it takes you to the final world.

The true challenge to a 100% smb3 run is finding all the white mushroom houses, and turning the hammer bros into coin ships.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

We brought up N64 VC a few pages back, and I got kind of curious and looked to see just how many N64 titles we got on the Wii (for North America). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Nintendo_64

21. That seems like a very small number! I mean, there's a pretty good selection of N64 titles but from the outside looking in I always thought there was more than that. I can't shake the feeling that even if we do get GC VC we're looking at like, 10 titles tops. Nintendo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MykonosFan posted:

We brought up N64 VC a few pages back, and I got kind of curious and looked to see just how many N64 titles we got on the Wii (for North America). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Nintendo_64

21. That seems like a very small number! I mean, there's a pretty good selection of N64 titles but from the outside looking in I always thought there was more than that. I can't shake the feeling that even if we do get GC VC we're looking at like, 10 titles tops. Nintendo.

If it does happen, it's probably going to get a fair few. Unlike the N64 and it's insanity-spaghetti-coded games, the GCN actually had a proper devkit and it's around the time that the first generation of licensed game engines started to appear.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse? Because that is how I feel about the Wii U after having it for less than a week.

I love this console. 3D World feels like a game I will still want to play once in awhile years from now. Between that and Link Between Worlds on the 3DS I am very pleased with Nintendo's games lately.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse?

"Pleased with one's purchase"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse? Because that is how I feel about the Wii U after having it for less than a week.

I love this console. 3D World feels like a game I will still want to play once in awhile years from now. Between that and Link Between Worlds on the 3DS I am very pleased with Nintendo's games lately.

Another satisfied customer.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a term that means the exact opposite of buyer's remorse?

Buyer's irremorse

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 26, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

13/f/cali posted:

Glad you like it! 3D World is very fun and I'm still finding new things about it! I think the Miis playing the levels with you is a really neat feature. I've found some hidden stuff by following them, and especially shortcuts for semi-speedrunning.

I wonder if any of the Miis I've seen have been goons in this thread? If so, some of you guys are crazy. People are way better at this game then I am.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it does happen, it's probably going to get a fair few. Unlike the N64 and it's insanity-spaghetti-coded games, the GCN actually had a proper devkit and it's around the time that the first generation of licensed game engines started to appear.

Also, the N64 had a tiny library. Once you get past Nintendo's titles, there's not a lot that they could get on the Virtual Console. I suspect that once you hit fifty titles you're running out of things that could be feasibly licensed.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I just want Mischief Makers on the Wii U. Give me that and the rest will just be gravy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Square-Enix owns Mischief Makers, Square-Enix sucks at VC.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There were a bunch of rumours about a Pokemon fighting game called Pokken or something, right? Namco actually announced it for arcades today

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Cs4L1JALY

I would assume it'd have to come to Wii U at some point too though

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Machamp Law

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Blatantly stolen from the Videogame deals thread:

unl33t posted:

Best Buy has a couple of Wii U games included with their Deal of the Day today, Ninja Gaiden 3:Razor's Edge for $14.99 and Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze for $39.99

Amazon apparently doesn't offer DKC Tropical Freeze (only 3rd party sellers do), so it looks like it's the best price out there right now.

Edit: Now that I'm looking at it, they don't stock most Wii U games. Even the prime eligible ones are from a third party fulfilled by Amazon.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 26, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fremry posted:

Blatantly stolen from the Videogame deals thread:

Amazon apparently doesn't offer DKC Tropical Freeze (only 3rd party sellers do), so it looks like it's the best price out there right now.

Edit: Now that I'm looking at it, they don't stock most Wii U games. Even the prime eligible ones are from a third party fulfilled by Amazon.

They'e probably just out of stock. I bought it from them three months ago for that price rather than a third party using amazon.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Wish it wasn't Tekken based. Either way, will be interesting to see what roster they come out with.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like the newest issue of EDGE is going to have a ton of Wii U coverage. It includes interviews with Miyamoto, as well as the developers of Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and Zelda U.

Unfortunately, I have to wait for it to be up on Zinio before I can read it. :eng99:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Splatooooooooooooooooon

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

JordanKai posted:

Looks like the newest issue of EDGE is going to have a ton of Wii U coverage. It includes interviews with Miyamoto, as well as the developers of Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon and Zelda U.

Unfortunately, I have to wait for it to be up on Zinio before I can read it. :eng99:

Miyamoto that's not how you hold the controller

Miyamoto what are you doing

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

HJE-Cobra posted:

Miyamoto that's not how you hold the controller

Miyamoto what are you doing

No wonder Project Giant Robot looked so awkward to control!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Meanwhile to any UK goons who either haven't gotten in or know someone who hasn't but might want to, Simply Games is selling the premium bundle (with Nintendoland, so likely old stock that needs clearing) for 185 pounds.

I am a bit surprised by Pokkén Tournament or whatever being an arcade game first though. How big are those still, at least in Japan?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

There were a bunch of rumours about a Pokemon fighting game called Pokken or something, right? Namco actually announced it for arcades today

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Cs4L1JALY

I would assume it'd have to come to Wii U at some point too though

This...looks really boring. I realize that this is probably really early but man I don't know how they managed to make two pokemon fighting look blander than it did on Gameboy.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I never got the Pokken name before and always thought it sounded really dumb.

But now I get that its a play on Tekken when I see the logo. I can't believe I didn't get that before. :rolleyes:

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Astro Nut posted:

I am a bit surprised by Pokkén Tournament or whatever being an arcade game first though. How big are those still, at least in Japan?

Arcade-first is still the norm for fighting games, Tekken included. That typically lasts about a year+ before console versions hit.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

The Manticore posted:

Arcade-first is still the norm for fighting games, Tekken included. That typically lasts about a year+ before console versions hit.

I really want this. I love both Tekken and Pokemon!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

axleblaze posted:

This...looks really boring. I realize that this is probably really early but man I don't know how they managed to make two pokemon fighting look blander than it did on Gameboy.

Two fighting types doesn't really help. With all the different powers Pokemon have, I'll be very disappointed if they don't use them/go wild.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish the 3d world characters had customizable attributes, like putting Luigi's stats on Toad. My girlfriend only wants to be Toad because he's cute, but he has the worst jump, which is tough because this is her first videogame ever. Learning how to move in 3d space and properly time and land jumps is hard enough without using the character that's the worst at it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tender Bender posted:

I wish the 3d world characters had customizable attributes, like putting Luigi's stats on Toad. My girlfriend only wants to be Toad because he's cute, but he has the worst jump, which is tough because this is her first videogame ever. Learning how to move in 3d space and properly time and land jumps is hard enough without using the character that's the worst at it.

She's training in high gravity.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any benefit to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer aside from having one console and the VC upgrades for a dollar? I don't see why I would combine the two given that you have to launch Wii mode, and it's essentially no different than playing the actual Wii.

Like... I get that you can play Wii games on the Gamepad, but you can't play with the Game Pad.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Is there any benefit to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer aside from having one console and the VC upgrades for a dollar? I don't see why I would combine the two given that you have to launch Wii mode, and it's essentially no different than playing the actual Wii.

Like... I get that you can play Wii games on the Gamepad, but you can't play with the Game Pad.

It's nice to be able to put your Wii in a box and de-clutter? Just last night I moved the only save file from my Wii to Wii U that was keeping my Wii hooked up. Now that I've moved Xenoblade to my Wii U I'm going to put my Wii away to get it out of my cabinet and clean up the mess of cables it makes.

On another subject, are Pro Controllers on sale anywhere? I had a MK8 thing at my place this weekend and everyone shied away from the Wiimote+nunchuck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shlapintogan posted:

I just want Mischief Makers on the Wii U. Give me that and the rest will just be gravy.

Agreed, though I also want Space Station Silicon Valley with the golden trophy bug fixed.

Just tell me who I need to ShakeShake to make it happen.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed, though I also want Space Station Silicon Valley with the golden trophy bug fixed.

Just tell me who I need to ShakeShake to make it happen.

Oh jeez. I read the ShakeShake in that voice. Almost 20 years since I last played that game, and her voice is still burned into my memory.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mischief Makers has the same problem that Sin and Punishment had in that it was one of the few games that really made itself for the N64 controller and playing it with anything but, while possible, is still kind of a pain in the rear end where you just feel like you need more buttons.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

CatsPajamas posted:

Glad you like it! 3D World is very fun and I'm still finding new things about it! I think the Miis playing the levels with you is a really neat feature. I've found some hidden stuff by following them, and especially shortcuts for semi-speedrunning.

We had to turn off the Mii ghosts because on many levels there was just too much poo poo on the screen and the camera would back wayyyyyy out so I couldn't tell if I was looking at my character, my girlfriend's character, or one of the Miis running around.

That said, we've beaten the game and are now going back through to get all the green stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Wildtortilla posted:

It's nice to be able to put your Wii in a box and de-clutter? Just last night I moved the only save file from my Wii to Wii U that was keeping my Wii hooked up. Now that I've moved Xenoblade to my Wii U I'm going to put my Wii away to get it out of my cabinet and clean up the mess of cables it makes.

On another subject, are Pro Controllers on sale anywhere? I had a MK8 thing at my place this weekend and everyone shied away from the Wiimote+nunchuck.

A lot of KMarts seem to have them on clearance for $30, but I think this has been going on for a while so I'd expect most places to be out of stock by now.

• Locked thread