Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Check out these early, pre-Peanuts cartoons that Charles Schulz did for the "Saturday Evening Post".

Ever wondered how Schulz drew adults?

(January 1, 1949)

(February 11, 1950)

(February 18, 1950)

(both April 29, 1950)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Schultz also did illustrations for Art Linkletter's "Kids Say the Darnedest Things" in the Peanuts style. They just look like taller Peanuts characters.

Pickles Sunday and Monday, teedle teedle.

And here's one where it the grandma messing with the kid:

Bleeker Sunday and Monday. This reads like a Heaven's Love adventure:

School's been on here for about two weeks now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Senior Woodchuck posted:

1. "Diversity University"? gently caress you, Batiuk.
I noticed the letters on the shirt spelled "DUI" before I read it and was really confused. I thought maybe it was one of those weird drunk driving punishments.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What a shame about that person dying. Oh well, at least it wasn't anyone we know!

Candorville

I almost forgot to post this one, and that would have been a tragedy.

Garfield

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I'm surprised they spent two days on this revelation, when by all rights Mary should already be in a dead sprint toward the nearest pool chair, HIPAA regulations no match for her gloating instinct.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Also when I volunteered at a hospital, I was made to watch a video that was basically that Mary Worth cartoon except the scenario was bookended by "DON'T EVER DO THIS, YOU WILL BE KILLED AND FED TO HIGHLY-PAID LAWYERS" notices in huge red letters. I guess VCRs are too new a technology for Maryworld.

Still, at least they're not wearing frigging nurses' caps a la Frank Bolle.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

This upsets me so much. Thanks for twisting the knife, Darren Bell, you hack!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (June 7, 1927)

Peanuts, in which Linus goes cold turkey. (August 29, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 17-18, 1925)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Wow. Way to stretch the story, Paige.

Non Sequitur

Double Heavenly Nostrils we're back on track...

Kliban's Cats

That, right there, is a full figured catte.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/26/2003

What? Oh wait, rests. Ok, I guess that makes sense.

Zits

Quintessential_Teen.png

Kevin & Kell

So why all the secrecy/security? It's not like you can modify anything and gain an advantage overnight. What's grown is grown. And why is Kevin cheating on his own Mother? And I spent way too much time pondering those thoughts.

Metro's headlines state "Chilliest August Bank Holiday Ever". Is it really that cold over there my Brit friends? I don't like hearing that. Anyway...

I think this is why I love Nemi so much. This is me.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Tuesdays and Thursdays are the worst, now that the Creeps has gone mwf. Maybe Robin Williams' depression is coming to live on MY couch.

Seriously, gently caress the hell out of you Darren loving Bell you worthless piece of poo poo hack.

Cul-de-sac foreshadows...

Poptropica oh just kiss already.

Heathcliff has switched from chihuahua ranching to pug ranching.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hurry up offense has been a staple of a lot of pro and college teams for years now and is usually just an extension of the 2 minute drill that has been a tactic used for decades. How the gently caress does a coach being courted by college teams not know this? If I were a recruiter and found this out, I'd immediately rescind any even remote offers and look somewhere else.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This wasn't Part of the Plan Comix!

Pooch Cafe

Good, we can get back to the interesting stuff.

That's not sarcasm, I really like taking a break from all the dogs in these comix now and then.

Ballard Street

He wasn't expecting that, but she completely was.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How long has Heavenly Nostrils been in repeats?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

goatface posted:

How long has Heavenly Nostrils been in repeats?

Quite a while by my take. I'd say at least 3 months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows how to make a good first impression.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have to be honest: I legitimately love the mean-spirited strips like The Lighter Side of... and Dinette Set. That said, the handwriting in the latter gives me the hinks. You could put one of those "Find It"s on a piece of wide-ruled notebook paper next to a taped-on severed finger and it wouldn't seem a bit out of place.

Surprising no one, then, here's Howard the Duck.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Cripes Dag I thought you were poor. And here you are with your fancy Macbook.

Pages ago, but that was literally Steve Jobs' exact reasoning behind choosing that logo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo posted:

Pages ago, but that was literally Steve Jobs' exact reasoning behind choosing that logo.

That's actually just an old myth.

Six Chix

Hey, I like puff sleeves.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

That's kind of a BS clue. From the audience's perspective the fish not moving could easily have been due to the cartoonist's laziness. That would be like a clue being "obviously he was wearing a fake nose; look how huge and bulbous it is!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Applewhite posted:

That's kind of a BS clue.
Welcome to Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz! I see you're new here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thanks! I am new here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So, I'd originally posted this as its own thread, but realized a single, obscure cartoonist is probably not enough to carry his own thread, and that my post is much more appropriate here. The "Tom Eaton Appreciation Thread" is now closed, but I still want to share with you this really cool guy.

Cartoonist Tom Eaton is a freelance artist whose primary contribution to the world of comics has been his work in Boys' Life Magazine. He has recieved very little exposure outside of the magazine and appears to be virtually unknown. He has no net presence to speak of, and appears content to labor away in obscurity (though now he is in a state of semi retirement, he still does regular comics for Boys' Life).
My favorite comics were his "Dink and Duff" strips (discontinued in 1996 or so), about a pair of Cub Scouts who often found themselves in a variety of wild and outlandish situations. The gags are somewhat lukewarm -just about what one would expect from a Boy Scout magazine- but his art is consistently fantastic.
(Please forgive the image quality, his work is essentially impossible to find outside of Google Books archives of the magazine, I'm reduced to posting cropped screenshots)

Wild, almost Seussian architecture made frequent appearances.

And he is no slouch at drawing nature, either

He has a very kinetic style, reminicent of Krazy Kat creator George Harriman (especially his backgrounds), and Walt Kelly's Pogo. He is also an outspoken fan of Carl Barks. Comic affectionados will no doubt recognize a little nod to Barks's Land Beneath the Ground in this strip:

But, in my opinion, where Eaton really shines are his psychadelic sci-fi environments:

There is plenty more of his work in the Google Books archives of Boys' Life, (Eaton's best work imo is from 1985-1995) and the magazine features several other excellent comics by other artists. Most of these comics have never been published anywhere else and include adaptations of Asimov's Norby the Mixed Up Robot and John Christopher's Tripods trilogy.
A lot of the articles and features are a fun trip down memory lane as well, not to mention a huge, untapped source of comedic value.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
poo poo might get weird(er) in Jane's World if poo poo is going down in Sedona, Arizona.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Those are great! Keep posting them!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pvt.Scott posted:

poo poo might get weird(er) in Jane's World if poo poo is going down in Sedona, Arizona.

Weirder than the lesbian from 1969 that's completely disappeared?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GorfZaplen posted:

Grand Theft Auto III

What's awesome is I didn't even need to edit the comic. Literally the first thing I thought of.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The MAD Book of Revenge
For years Warner Books published MAD paperbacks. Some were reprints from the magazine, but they also created new material just for the book. I believe this is one of them.

The MAD Book of Revenge came out in 1976, by MAD regulars Stan Hart (writer) and Paul Coker Jr. (artist). Anyone who grew up watching Rankin/Bass specials should be familiar with Coker. He was the guy who designed all those characters in "Frosty the Snowman", "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town", "Here Comes Peter Cottontail", and many more, which in turn was shipped over to Japan to be animated. Later on there were some anime from the era that has character designs "influenced" by Coker. Of course, MAD was never published in Japan, so the only Japanese people who saw Coker's drawings were those that worked on the Rankin/Bass stuff.

Coker's still published in the magazine today.

Sergio Aragones

(MAD #394, June 2000)

(MAD #394, June 2000)

(MAD #425, January 2003)

The Lighter Side of the Idiot Box (MAD #215, June 1980)

Man, remember back when VCRs was a technological breakthrough?

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 26, 2014

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I keep instinctively looking for the little Kelly in the corner.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum posted:

Between Friends

The world won't end if you don't answer the phone! :argh:

Bit late, but what is even the loving flight path on this fall? Her hip thrusts forward, then back, then pivots completely sideways while thrusting forwards again? Where is the flooowwwwww

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Candorville

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LvK posted:

Bit late, but what is even the loving flight path on this fall? Her hip thrusts forward, then back, then pivots completely sideways while thrusting forwards again? Where is the flooowwwwww

Under her sowcks.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Green Intern posted:

Under her sowcks.

Let the body hit the flow

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I thought that was the other girl in Jane's trailer, the one throwing out all of her junk food?

(I could be wrong, of course. There are so few characters in that comic with distinct appearances or distinct personalities that it's easy to get 'em confused.)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do you even know what nearby unsecured energy vortexes (not vortices) do to gangs of angry lesbians? Neither do I, but you can bet that there'll be some dykes to watch out for.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Holy crap, I had forgotten about these!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Do you even know what nearby unsecured energy vortexes (not vortices) do to gangs of angry lesbians? Neither do I, but you can bet that there'll be some dykes to watch out for.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mister Beeg posted:

(MAD #425, January 2003)

Man, I loved those MAD books. My dad had (might still have) a whole bunch of them.

Not sure what's going on in the divorce court comic. Is the husband getting leniency from the judge by showing him golf techniques?

Also, Mr. Aragones should thank his lucky stars he's Italian. If he lived in the US, Twitter and the Tumblrs would be all in a tizzy.

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

Holy crap, I had forgotten about these!

Right? They were awesome.

• Locked thread