Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Sharzak posted:

I really like Shawn the blue table guy and am not sure what you guys are talking about. I had no idea they were a company big enough to be hated on the Internet. I had them paint a squad of Harlequins a couple years ago and was delighted with the results. He is a cool dude and a little weird but totally harmless. I'm pretty sure he's just one of those guys who were born gay but also Mormon. There are lots of them around here.

I have no issues with either his sexuality (presumed, stated outright, or otherwise), nor with his religion (though I think Mormonism is probably only a step or two above Scientology). I just think that he comes across as one of those "business owners good, employees bad" kind of people who are always looking for a shortcut to pay people jack poo poo and who would quite happily pay people in company store scrip if he could legally get away with it.

(E: though to be fair that could well describe like 99.9% of all companies out there today, both big and small. Including GW. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey guys, long time no see. I'm selling a ridiculous amount of Warhammer stuff(fantasy, 40k, books, carrying cases) so if you're looking for additions to your armies, take a look!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660292

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

vigorous sodomy posted:

Yea but it's not 40K. And do you guys hate this game a lot?
It's kind of a love/hate relationship for a lot of folks. For me I love the models, artwork, and lore, and don't like the company. I enjoy the rules plenty, but I'm aware of their shortcomings. I use it as a means to tell cool stories with spacemans and chainsaws and have some fun with my friends.

JerryLee posted:

I also love the even older(?) box style where it was actually art for the entire cover. I'm not sure if it was for every kind of model but definitely for stuff like tanks at least. Full box front art of a Land Raider or Predator driving around, shooting lascannons that have muzzle flashes for some reason.

I actually just realized for the first time that the new "featureless void" motif for box covers fits right in with their attempt to recast (so to speak) their miniatures as 'tiny jewel-like objects of wonder' first, and pieces in a game (for which you need 50+ of them) second.
The old artwork-based box art is my favorite. I mean, look at this poo poo:

That's evocative right there.

And this is neat too:

I've got the old Leman Russ box lying around, hoping to frame it or something because I really like the art on it too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They even made the defiler look cool:

Old box art owns.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They really did this. I forget the exact details but they were hyping it up as some kind of "pre-planning" scheme where they would have minis already in stock and on hand in case someone wanted to order a particular army from them, be it Infinity or WH40K or Warmahordes or whatever. I don't remember how quickly it folded but I think it definitely failed to make anything even remotely near what they were hoping to get before they shut it down. :v:

I remember when somebody linked it to the thread and we spent a good several pages laughing at how terrible the paint jobs were

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Turn your useless bits into objectives!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is all I can think of when I look at the claw:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Pacheeco posted:

Turn your useless bits into objectives!

...but where's the rest of the Defiler? :raise:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

...but where's the rest of the Defiler? :raise:

Still in the box on the shelves at Games Workshop :c00lbert:

For some reason the Soulgrinder kit comes with two Iron Claws even though the model can only be modeled out of the box with one. I figure it's a blown off arm and some scrub tier cultist needs to go re-claim it. Or maybe it's a trophy for some Imperial army. Or maybe the whole thing is just buried and when you claim the objective you get the Objective VP but also a Soulgrinder appears and you have to fight it.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 26, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I want to paint some space mans all colourful like a Chris Foss illustration.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

BULBASAUR posted:

I fuckin' loved those books as a kid. Now you're making me want to repaint my Firestorm Armada stuff in that style.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
After all this campaign talk I figured I'd put something together for the long weekend. I'm going to my folks' house and I'll be bringing my Iron Warriors and my Valhallans in hope to get a little 3-game campaign going. Planning it took maybe an hour, and I think it'll be fun! If anyone wants to give me any feedback on this wall of text, please do:

quote:

Frost and Iron: Valhallans and Iron Warriors clash on the world of Ferros IV.

GAME 1: The Incursion at St. Velda
A local cult has emerged, summoning a Hellbrute from the warp. Local PDF forces have come to respond with the situation.

FORCES:
- Iron Warriors have 5 squads of 10 cultists and a Hellbrute
- Imperial Guard have 3 squads of guardsmen with a missile launcher team and a meltagun and a command squad with flamers, all mounted in Chimeras

DEPLOYMENT:
- A small town in the middle of a 4x4 map, wherein the Chaos units are deployed. Cultist units will emerge from buildings as reserves as they are destroyed using typical reserves rules. Imperial Guard come in from one table edge.

SPECIAL RULES:
- Nightfight on the first turn. Roll a die every turn after - on a 4+ day breaks
- Torch the houses: An Imperial Guard unit can target the buildings with any flamer weapon. On a 3+ the building is torched and can no longer be used for Chaos reserves. If all houses are burned down, no more reserves can come in.
- Human shields: Cultists will gladly sacrifice themselves to save the Hellbrute. Cultists give the Hellbrute a 3+ cover save, and any successful saves remove cultists as casualties.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
- Imperial Guard must destroy the Hellbrute. If it is alive or there are no Imperial Guard units on the table, Chaos wins.

GAME 2 (Chaos Victory): Invasion
Chaos has secured a foothold on the planet, and set up a landing zone in the town. Three Imperial Spies have been gathering intelligence and must be rescued by the Imperial forces. The Iron Warriors want to interrogate them for their own purposes.

FORCES:
- Both armies have lighter forces focused on mobility and basic units. 1500 points
- Chaos has a free Hellbrute

DEPLOYMENT:
- Iron Warriors start in a town-type area, while the Imperial Guard start in a hilly field. Standard Dawn of War deployment. The spies are placed evenly across the middle of the table, one at the center, one 24” to the left, and one 24” to the right.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
- Spies are treated like The Relic. Whoever holds the most spies (either in their deployment zone or with one of their units) at the end of the game wins.

GAME 2 (Imperial Victory) Reclaimation
The Iron Warriors have been driven back from the town and must assault it. Set up a town in the middle of the table, and mark each building with an objective marker.

FORCES:
- Both armies have lighter forces focused on mobility and basic units. 1500 points
- The Imperium is prepared and has sanctioned a squad of Stormtroopers

DEPLOYMENT:
- Dawn of War deployment. Imperial forces may start up to half of their units in the town if they so choose.

SPECIAL RULES:
- Cultists have Hatred after the destruction of their beloved Hellbrute

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
- Whoever holds the most buildings in town wins.

GAME 3 (Chaos Victory): The Siege of Kasr Serdica
The time has come to assault the capital of this town, seizing it in the name of the dark gods and killing the planetary governor Sokolov. The Imperial forces are beleaguered but must hold out as long as they can while keeping the governor safe.

FORCES:
- The Iron Warriors have a heavy assault force totaling 2000 points. The Imperial Guard have a force of 1500 points in a highly fortified area, like a castle. Walls have an AV of 12 and 4 hull points, Towers have an AV of 14 and 4 hull points. The Planetary Governor is an independent character with a statline on par with a platoon commander, and will never be executed by a Commissar.
- If the first mission was a Chaos victory, they have had adequate time to prepare and all characters have meltabombs, in addition to a free Hellbrute.
- If the first mission was an Imperial victory, they have had time to signal for support and get a free Valkyrie, in addition to a free squad of Stormtroopers.

DEPLOYMENT:
- Hammer and Anvil. Imperial Guard start in a fortified castle-type area, while the Iron Warriors must advance through a hilly field dotted with ruins and craters. The Planetary Governor should be in one of the buildings.

SPECIAL RULES:
- Minefields: The Imperial player can set up three 3”x6” minefields. These count as dangerous and difficult terrain.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
- If the planetary governor is dead at the end of any turn, the Iron Warriors win. Game runs for 7 turns.

GAME 3 (Imperial Victory): Extermination At Vignah Gulch
The Iron Warriors are weakened and it is time to cut the head off the snake! The Iron Warriors have been surrounded and must do everything they can to escape the field.

FORCES:
- Both forces are armed for bear at 1850.
- If the first mission was a Chaos victory, they have a free Hellbrute.
- If the first mission was an Imperial victory, they are prepared to hunt down the survivors and have a free Hellhound squadron of 2 tanks.

DEPLOYMENT:
- The Iron Warriors have half their force (randomly selected) within 12” of the middle of the table. The rest of their force must come in by reserves from their table edge. The Iron Warriors must escape via the long table edge opposite their deployment zone. Imperial forces can set up anywhere outside 18” of an Iron Warriors unit.

SPECIAL RULES:
- The Iron Warriors warlord is worth 2 units for purposes of the victory condition
- No Iron Warriors may deep strike, as they are trying to escape the planet, not attack it!

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
- The Iron Warriors must get to the opposite table edge. A unit fully within 6” of the table edge immediately exits. If more than half of the Iron Warriors’ units escape at the end of the battle, they have won.

RESULTS:
Chaos minor victory:
Pockets of resistance still remain on Ferros IV, laying in wait and striking when the time is right. Although the world belongs to the Iron Warriors and their great daemon engine forges, it is never truly free of Imperial presence, and it is only a matter of time until the surviving planetary defense forces can signal for help.

Chaos major victory:
The world of Ferros IV has been reduced to a slag heap. Its citizens have either volunteered themselves to the dark gods, put to the sword by their iron-clad masters, or been enslaved and put to work in the newly-erected daemon engine forges that now dot the landscape.

Draw:
Lord Kane of the Iron Warriors enacts decimation in his ranks, ensuring that his troops never fail him again. The Imperial Guard fortify their meager holdings and ensure that they will fight to the last to protect the people of Ferros IV.

Imperial minor victory:
While the capital city of Kasr Serdica has held, Chaos raiders are still at large in the mineral-rich mountains of Ferros IV, terrorizing towns for years to come. In time, they will be purged by the Space Marines of the Crimson Fists, and peace will return to Ferros IV.

Imperial major victory:
With the cults quelled and the invasion halted, life returns to normal on Ferros IV. Sokolov enjoys a long career as planetary governor, and Colonel Vadim and the men of the Valhallan 32nd Rifles are celebrated as heroes. Stories are told for generations of their bravery and cunning.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AbusePuppy posted:

I fuckin' loved those books as a kid. Now you're making me want to repaint my Firestorm Armada stuff in that style.

DO IT. Its the only correct way to make non-grimdark space vehicles. I'm totally doing my Dropzone Commander army in the same style:

What I'm saying is never not Chris Foss your space models.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SoftDrink posted:

So how do you people like the new Daemon Hunter(Gray Knight) book?

It's really poo poo bro.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, I've been wanting to run a campaign for years, but my group is nowhere close to being consistent enough to try. I'm sure it'd be way too complex to be worth it, but I'd love to do a big map-based thing involving a good group of players, persistent characters, special sites like factories or hive cities, and some basic resource management. I've been playing too many 4X games. Especially Dominions 4. :reject: It's probably best to keep things short and simple though, no need to bog the game down more than you have to.

BULBASAUR posted:

DO IT. Its the only correct way to make non-grimdark space vehicles. I'm totally doing my Dropzone Commander army in the same style:

I bought into Dropzone Commander recently and I'm going with PHR too. The basic scheme seems easy, but ultimately pretty boring. I want to figure something else out and I might have to try a scheme similar to these. Are there any online painting tools to test things out with?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Foss artwork seems like it would translate to minis pretty well, considering it's mostly primary colours and stripes. I'm actually using the space jolly roger from his Dune concept art for my space marine chapter symbol since it's easy to paint and I am bad at painting.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The hard part will be the stripes on a 10mm model, but that's what an airbrush and masking tape are for!

Safety Factor posted:

I bought into Dropzone Commander recently and I'm going with PHR too. The basic scheme seems easy, but ultimately pretty boring. I want to figure something else out and I might have to try a scheme similar to these. Are there any online painting tools to test things out with?

Behind resistance, PHR seem like one of their most popular armies. There is no painting tool, sadly, so I just used photoshop on a well highlighted model. I'll probably buy some cheap N scale cars and practice on them a few times before I touch my resin.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Thoughts on assembling Mek Guns:

The gun part can be really fiddly and takes forever. Since I was building one of these as a kannon, I used a battlewagon kannon instead. It's rough so I'll definitely be going back to add more support structures, a gunner's platform and gubbinz. The killkannon off the BW accessories sprue would look better but would need more work up front to get it to sit right.

The subassembly diagram that shows which side the springy bits that hold the bottom front plate on are supposed to go shows them on the wrong sides. Fortunately it's very obvious so you are unlikely to have an incident.

gently caress the tyres. The two halves of the internal tube that the axle threads through are actually a hair too tall. When you glue them you will find that however hard you hold the two halves together, you cannot get a seal all the way round. Unfortuntately I didn't twig this on assembling the first one so it needs a bunch of filling that I don't have time for. For the second one I twigged what was up and was able to shave the bits down by the tiniest amount, so they fit perfectly.

tl;dr: Shave the middle bit in mek gun tyres down a little so they glue together easier.

I also built the crew for the first one before I realised I didn't have time to base them before priming, but they are some drat cute li'l grots. (I base by putting ballast onto a layer of PVA, and seal with thinned PVA once that's dried, then have to wait for that to dry again before I can prime)

Got them primed last night. Today I need to paint them, and finish two meks, a runtherd, an extra shoota boy and three deffkoptas.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Re: Buggies: I've had success with them as screening elements for my battlewagons full of meganobz. Those that survive have also been useful for harassing enemy armor--they're mobile enough to get behind tanks and hit read armor with TL rokkits!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
DC nerds: it's happening

I'm finally buying lumber for this loving table.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

AbusePuppy posted:

I'm not sure I'd take a ton of Buggies, but they are decent little units. They do all the stuff you need them to and they can help with saturation against most opponents- Serpents and Broadsides will ruin your day, but that's just the cost of doing business.

So 3 squads of 3 as rolling cover for 3 'Wagons would be overboard? How many is too many?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have no issues with either his sexuality (presumed, stated outright, or otherwise), nor with his religion (though I think Mormonism is probably only a step or two above Scientology). I just think that he comes across as one of those "business owners good, employees bad" kind of people who are always looking for a shortcut to pay people jack poo poo and who would quite happily pay people in company store scrip if he could legally get away with it.

He is annoying in videos, but not *quite* as bad in real life. He is creepy around women.
Shawn uses his "internet superstar" status to be a dick. Me and a friend were looking at a great Nurgle army at adepticon and we basically got trampled over and ignored by him as he pulled out a camera and took video of the army. Yeah, not someone I would willingly hang out with.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

WhiteWolf123 posted:

So 3 squads of 3 as rolling cover for 3 'Wagons would be overboard? How many is too many?

That's what I've been running in my orks list and it's seemed fine!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Looking forward to the Gooncave.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Does anyone have any resource on a campaign setting but with advancement for units, that isn't retardly broken? Friends want to do a campaign where surviving forces of games get experience and then you can use that to like give them special abilities etc..

Anyone know of a decent source for that like 40k?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone have any resource on a campaign setting but with advancement for units, that isn't retardly broken? Friends want to do a campaign where surviving forces of games get experience and then you can use that to like give them special abilities etc..

If nothing else works, you could try the old Necromunda advancement and injury tables.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The Sisko posted:

Frontline has much more consistent friendly service , does great work even at their lowest price point, and the guys there contribute alot to the community in general. I have had them do a couple of things here and there for my brothers army and I have never had a problem with them. If I were to suggest someone for commision work it would be them.

Nthing Frontline. Also one of our locals paints for them. My roommate has had some stuff done by BT. It looks fine but our local guy is better.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hollismason posted:

There's something in the back of the 4th Edition rulebook, if I remember correctly.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Sulecrist posted:

There's something in the back of the 4th Edition rulebook, if I remember correctly.

Nah, that was just a kill-team esque thingy, with one player playing the heroes and the other player playing the bad guys.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I put out a request for quote to a guy advertising on craigslist to paint a couple models for me and the samples he sent me were so bad I couldn't fathom who was actually paying him for them. The ad contained a line that went something like, "make all your friends jealous with these superbly painted models," which was just comical given the quality. I ended up telling him my wife said no, which she did once she saw his poo poo was worse than mine.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sulecrist posted:

3rd edition rulebook had some campaign-esque rules with experience and stuff. I don't know if it was ever broken because no one I knew played with them, but they're there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Consider pvc board. It's just as durable, but lighter.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nah, that was just a kill-team esque thingy, with one player playing the heroes and the other player playing the bad guys.

There's definitely more than that, further back. I remember a couple of campaign armies on display and a gallery of models converted to show veteran upgrades. Also a bunch of maps and rules for using them.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

panascope posted:

I put out a request for quote to a guy advertising on craigslist to paint a couple models for me and the samples he sent me were so bad I couldn't fathom who was actually paying him for them. The ad contained a line that went something like, "make all your friends jealous with these superbly painted models," which was just comical given the quality. I ended up telling him my wife said no, which she did once she saw his poo poo was worse than mine.

Post the pictures!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

There's definitely more than that, further back. I remember a couple of campaign armies on display and a gallery of models converted to show veteran upgrades. Also a bunch of maps and rules for using them.
Yeah, units would gain special rules and stuff for leveling up. It wasn't always super useful (my devastators got Move Through Cover!) but they were neat.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

If nothing else works, you could try the old Necromunda advancement and injury tables.
That's model by model and would be completely bonkers for 40k.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
4E did indeed have a campaign system with experience and stuff in it. It was the usual GW "wacky random bullshit with nine different layers of arbitrary loopholes, restrictions, and exceptions," but it could be amusing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't one of the newer Horus Heresy FW books have a campaign system in the lines of that or at least something that probably could've been adapted for that purpose.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

SRM posted:

40K? Bonkers? I'm not seeing a problem here :colbert:

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

SRM posted:

Just use it for squad leaders and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Just use it for squad leaders and characters.
But then you'd have horribly crippled sergeants leading squads of able-bodied troopers all the time! Necromunda-style advancements really don't work in a game of 40k's scale if you ask me, and I love me some Necromunda.

• Locked thread