Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FrozenVent posted:

Every one of those I've seen was "anonymous".

But then it asked what site you were assigned to, your position, how long you'd been with the company, your age bracket...

Most workplace surveys that I've seen or designed allow you to leave those responses blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
gently caress the loving ice bucket challenge.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

FrozenVent posted:

But then it asked what site you were assigned to, your position, how long you'd been with the company, your age bracket...

Last "anonymous" survey I had required you to log in with your employee ID to take it (but of course they promised they wouldn't tell anyone who you were... :v: ).

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

gently caress the loving ice bucket challenge.

Oh no. Has it spread beyond Facebook?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
My company, an IT company in Tokyo, is getting into it :sigh:

But that's to be expected from Japan in general. Something's trending? :regd08:

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

The ops manager just tried to convince me to take on the job of swapping out the back-up HD of the server EVERY SINGLE DAY and carrying it with me at all times :stonklol:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Our employee survey must be the odd one out by being genuinely anonymous. It's run by an external company and it doesn't collect your login or name. It will ask your location, department and job function but they're optional, and for any groupings below a certain size (6, I think) management can't see individual responses, only aggregates.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My feelings:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

We had an anonymous survey and just about the entire department complained about a certain senior manager who after investigation got transferred because the scores were so low that doing nothing would have triggered a serious brain drain.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

rolleyes posted:

Our employee survey must be the odd one out by being genuinely anonymous. It's run by an external company and it doesn't collect your login or name. It will ask your location, department and job function but they're optional, and for any groupings below a certain size (6, I think) management can't see individual responses, only aggregates.

Ours is pretty much the same as this, the employee surveys are run by a 3rd party company, and they e-mail you a unique login code for you to take the survey on an external site. Managers of departments below a certain size don't get to see comments, etc etc etc.

Of course, there's always people crying that since you have a unique login code they're tracing it back to individual people. There's no pleasing these people, because at that point no system exists where they don't think they're being spied upon.

Seriously, how else are you going to track metrics like the total % of employees who took the test, or assure that scores are being applied to the correct departments? Or that employees (or managers too!) aren't taking the survey multiple times to skew the numbers a certain way.

To make it even better, after everything was completed, our VP came out and talk to us about where we did well and where we did poorly and how management planned to address those issues. It was like something from the twilight zone.

(Then none of those things actually happened and we came crashing down back to Earth)

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Weatherman posted:

My company, an IT company in Tokyo, is getting into it :sigh:

But that's to be expected from Japan in general. Something's trending? :regd08:

I have a nerdburger of an old for company prez that started calling impromptu meetings "flash mobs" last year lol

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There is a Flash Mob Committee at my work.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There is a Flash Mob Committee at my work.

For or against?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Oh no. Has it spread beyond Facebook?

A whole bunch of my coworkers are friends with each other on Facebook (:wtc:) and they've apparently all ice-bucketed each other. It's pretty much all they talk about these days.

(Meanwhile, I'm still aghast at the idea of friending [current] co-workers on FB in the first place.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
At my first job at an e-learning oriented high stakes testing company, we implemented evaluations as something to give to client employees. You had to be signed into the system to take it so that you could be marked as complete, but the results were intentionally decoupled from the user to prevent surveys results from being linked to specific employees. There was a minimum threshold before viewing results to help prevent figuring out the first responders' responses, etc.

Not foolproof by any stretch, but not the worst.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Seriously. A bunch of my coworkers were talking about ice bucketing at lunch yesterday and all I could think about was, "I'm so glad I'm not Facebook friends with any of you".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Given how much money it's raised for the ALS Association (nearly $50 million to date), I can't be mad at it. :shobon:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm more of a fan of the Taco or Beer Challenge.

I've got nothing against the ice bucket challenge, but there's a dude in the Work Crew thread who got put on administrative leave because he flipped his poo poo at some guy from accounting when he burst into a conference room during a meeting with vendors and tried to dump a bucket of ice water on him.

It's hosed up on so many levels. Sure the poster could have handled it better, but it wasn't the first time he was threatened with a bucket of ice water by this guy either.

e: Also ice bucket guy got put on leave as well so they're both in deep poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

I've got nothing against the ice bucket challenge, but there's a dude in the Work Crew thread who got put on administrative leave because he flipped his poo poo at some guy from accounting when he burst into a conference room during a meeting with vendors and tried to dump a bucket of ice water on him.

What in the flying gently caress was the accounting guy thinking?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The ice bucket thing was cool when hilarious celebrities were doing it, but now that John Everyman is involved it is just way too prevalent and a hell of a lot more boring.

That said, charity money, so keep on keepin' on.

I still haven't had my mid-year QPR and I keep getting dodged when asking about it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Pleads posted:

The ice bucket thing was cool when hilarious celebrities were doing it, but now that John Everyman is involved it is just way too prevalent and a hell of a lot more boring.

That said, charity money, so keep on keepin' on.

I still haven't had my mid-year QPR and I keep getting dodged when asking about it.

One of my friends got "challenged" by someone else, so he decided to make his ice bucket challenge drinking a bucket of 6 Smirnoff Ice. He suffered way more and for way longer than getting ice dumped on his head.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

What would be stopping an employee from putting in garbage data in the forms and saying in the comments that they know it isn't really anonymous?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Poop Cupcake posted:

What would be stopping an employee from putting in garbage data in the forms and saying in the comments that they know it isn't really anonymous?

The same thing as in the other case: that it isn't anonymous, so they know exactly who filled their survey with garbage data?

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py
Thankfully a coworker warned me before I filled out my first 'anonymous' survey at this company that in a previous year he had had a manager pull each of their reports into a room and ask them directly "Did you write this?" until she had matched up all the names.

Reason #1483 I no longer want to work in corporate...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My company actually addressed the surveys at the last quarterly meeting! (The one where they make all 50 of us come and try to cram into a room by making us stand for an hour and a half!)

They said they knew a lot of us had given the company low scores for work-life balance so they were unveiling a new policy! If you have something going on in your life at 7pm, tell your manager and maybe they'll let you leave at 6pm so you can come in at 7am instead of the typical 7:45 am. Party time!

The director announcing this seemed surprised they were met with stony looks on this one.

Oh yeah, my old department asked IT to loan me back to them last night as they were short staffed, so I had to stay until 7pm doing their bullshit. Then today IT tells me we gotta stay late because we're behind on the test cases I was supposed to be writing yesterday instead of being a phone jockey. I need a new company.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
My old company used to tell me it was okay to go home and work from there instead of "staying in the office late". Then when my review came up I was told that "if you aren't here it doesn't really count as working!". Needless to say no one was surprised when I had a new job 3 months after that review.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Regarding surveys. I think they are basically tools and can be used for good or evil. It really depends on your company. If you have a company that encourages suggestions and open communication, and doesn't kill the messenger, then surveys will just be another way for them to collect info, and anonymity will help those who feel uncomfortable saying certain things be able to provide feedback.

If your company considers conflicting opinions to be treason that deserves punishment, then any response they don't like will start a witch hunt to find and wipe out dissent. If the survey is anonymous, either it wont be really, or they will do whatever they can to figure out who said what.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Apparently my company tried surveys just before I arrived, the results were so poor that they haven't done them since.

In a one-on-one meeting with my boss things morning after I said I had completed the objectives on my evaluation for the year my boss said "no your not, I want you to work on this abandoned project from your first year and I'm expanding a existing goal further.". I might have to ask in the next meeting what the loving point of establishing the goals for the year when they are only going to be changed?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Ours is pretty much the same as this, the employee surveys are run by a 3rd party company, and they e-mail you a unique login code for you to take the survey on an external site. Managers of departments below a certain size don't get to see comments, etc etc etc.

Of course, there's always people crying that since you have a unique login code they're tracing it back to individual people. There's no pleasing these people, because at that point no system exists where they don't think they're being spied upon.
If they really wanted to know who did a certain survey entry they'd just grep the email archives for who was emailed that code. There's no need for collusion on the survey provider's side at all.

We've reached the point at my job where they've started getting HR people and junior employees to write fake reviews about the place on Glassdoor.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I work for a fairly small company and have been in my current position for about 2 years, 3 overall with the company in a slightly different role prior. I asked my supervisor about promotion opportunities in the future and what I would need to do to be eligible the next time a position opens up. She consulted with the VP that runs the department and 2 weeks later told me that I should update my resume because I don't have the experience to get it when competing with outside hires and it's not possible for me to get that experience here. She suggested I apply with one of our business partners and try to come back in a few years.

On one hand I appreciate the honesty but drat it sucks to be told that. However I had my come to Jesus moment and I I'm going to use this as an opportunity to change my career path away from sales.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If they really wanted to know who did a certain survey entry they'd just grep the email archives for who was emailed that code. There's no need for collusion on the survey provider's side at all.

We've reached the point at my job where they've started getting HR people and junior employees to write fake reviews about the place on Glassdoor.

Hah. The last place I worked at started doing that a few months ago. I still check up on their Glassdoor page every once in a while to see how much worse it's gotten and one day after seeing maybe a review every few weeks (many of them vaguely to severely negative), they had like fifty glowing reviews on the same day. Great job, guys. Real subtle.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
That reminds me I need to post a review on Glassdoor of my old company now that sufficient time has passed since I quit so it's not obvious it's me and I've secured a new job.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Me: "Hey guys, our revenue impact model is incorrect. The scenario changed and the direction we have revenue flowing isn't correct. I went ahead and made the necessary changes, so now everything is accurate. Let's go over it."

Acting Manager: "Nope, they want to use the other one. We need to stick with that one."

Me: "But it's incorrect. It's very blatantly incorrect and it's an easy fix."

AM: "Sorry, we need to go with the other one."

It's like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've run into that situation so many times.

It basically boils down to one of two things:

"It's been wrong forever so it needs to stay wrong"

"The other numbers were better so management wants them reported that way"

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sundae posted:

A whole bunch of my coworkers are friends with each other on Facebook (:wtc:) and they've apparently all ice-bucketed each other. It's pretty much all they talk about these days.

(Meanwhile, I'm still aghast at the idea of friending [current] co-workers on FB in the first place.)

I got to dump a bucket of ice water on my boss as part of the workday. Improved my job satisfaction immensely. We need to see if every six months we can start up some sort of viral ways to torture our bosses that they do to show how in touch they are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thomamelas posted:

I got to dump a bucket of ice water on my boss as part of the workday. Improved my job satisfaction immensely. We need to see if every six months we can start up some sort of viral ways to torture our bosses that they do to show how in touch they are.

The car battery and testicles challenge :unsmigghh:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Omne posted:

Me: "Hey guys, our revenue impact model is incorrect. The scenario changed and the direction we have revenue flowing isn't correct. I went ahead and made the necessary changes, so now everything is accurate. Let's go over it."

Acting Manager: "Nope, they want to use the other one. We need to stick with that one."

Me: "But it's incorrect. It's very blatantly incorrect and it's an easy fix."

AM: "Sorry, we need to go with the other one."

It's like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

A cornerstone of corporate finance is to do it the same way you did last year, even if it's wrong.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Accuracy < comparability <<<<<<<<<< familiarity

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Volmarias posted:

The car battery and testicles challenge :unsmigghh:

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Sundae posted:

I killed my fb the first time I had someone at work complain about me not friending them. loving done with that idiotic waste of time that perpetuates poo poo like boring executives blathering about als and then being doused with ice water.