Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

stimpy posted:

thanks to all the bullpen coaches for just picking something else to do. Also a big thanks to the logic that says "hey, let's just hire whatever random dude is next in the list" so that I end up with a bullpen coach with a 38 pitching rating

Yeah if you don't have an offer in for a coach at the PM cycle part 2 it literally gives you the worst one available. If I have any unsigned spots going into that time I make sure to have three offers out for each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Just in the interest of full disclosure, I'm helping pdalauro with some co-GMing. I'm not submitting offers for him but I am coaching him through some things while letting him do some things on his own. (i.e., I advised him to do the Fox signing)

So far the worst has been a couple unnecessary 40-man adds but he's doing well so far I think. He seems excited about it.

Also I'm glad no one's tried to poach a bad trade offer from him! So cheers to you all

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Just in the interest of full disclosure

Frankly I think it would be better if we always had a coach attached to a new owner. Should be something we try to align whenever we bring someone new on.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Nerokerubina posted:

im a little mad about losing dee bryant but if y'all really wanna sign him for 9 million guaranteed in his age 42 season, go for it

It is my destiny.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I'm helping pdalauro with some co-GMing. I'm not submitting offers for him but I am coaching him through some things while letting him do some things on his own. (i.e., I advised him to do the Fox signing)

So far the worst has been a couple unnecessary 40-man adds but he's doing well so far I think. He seems excited about it.

Also I'm glad no one's tried to poach a bad trade offer from him! So cheers to you all

well now I'm going to

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember when I first started playing ages ago and got bombarded with poo poo trade offers from the pubbies and I think Jefferson

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've been in for 20 seasons and still need someone to coach me half the time.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Goetta posted:

I remember when I first started playing ages ago and got bombarded with poo poo trade offers from the pubbies and I think Jefferson

I got a couple borderline offensive ones from Tucson but then I ended up ripping him off for Jorge Santos a few seasons later so it's all good

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Somebody mentor me goddamit!!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Sean Stein is bad, you should trade him (to Cleveland)

Make sure to play Chip Steele below 100% stamina, he will be more effective that way

Never put Chip Steele on the DL if he gets hurt

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

Lesson 1: don't hire Grant Demaree as your fielding instructor

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Oh hello, I am 102 game winner ArtVandelay and even I sometimes need help.

It's hard to believe, I know.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Reminder to everybody to SET YOUR 40 MAN ROSTERS

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

EvilBeard posted:

I was at $104M and led for nearly the entirety of FA. I lost out on him late last night and my trade didn't get done in time to clear the additional $5M I had coming.

If you had told me that was what you needed the cash for I would of accepted it ASAP.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Scrotos posted:

If you had told me that was what you needed the cash for I would of accepted it ASAP.

Well, at the time I was still in the lead (and had been for the entire week), so it was just emergency cash and a little wiggle room for promotions and stuff. Then jeff snuck and and he signed the cycle after I lost the lead on him.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Don't want to see uublog ever calling me out on here about bad trades now :laffo:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

the next time uublog says something smart-rear end to art, someone please post this

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

ArtVandelay posted:

Don't want to see uublog ever calling me out on here about bad trades now :laffo:

gently caress off Art

I don't feel like I need to defend that trade, and I also really don't care/want to

make your lovely jokes, whatever, just please don't throw more intentionally bad trades at me

the immediate exaggerated over-reaction to literally everything is really fun, too, yeah let's keep that up

e: and I also reaaaaaaaally don't need the incessant tweets criticizing me about it for an hour, now I realize why Art avoids twitter, to avoid bullshit like this

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 26, 2014

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

uublog posted:

gently caress off Art

I don't feel like I need to defend that trade, and I also really don't care/want to

make your lovely jokes, whatever, just please don't throw more intentionally bad trades at me

the immediate exaggerated over-reaction to literally everything is really fun, too, yeah let's keep that up

be upset all you want, that is just very poor asset management. and for as much poo poo as you actively give Art on here (and take pleasure in doing), you'd drat sure better be able to take it when it comes back around.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

nasboat posted:

be upset all you want, that is just very poor asset management. and for as much poo poo as you actively give Art on here (and take pleasure in doing), you'd drat sure better be able to take it when it comes back around.

this is more than a great majority of what I've said to Art

also I'm only one person, if only one of you assholes were coming after me for this, I could far easier ignore it

e: also also if you've ever criticized Art for a thing (you have) and also made a trade that someone else(s) perceived as lopsided and didn't appreciate the feedback (you probably also have) then I think you're coming after me for something that you've already done yourself, which is a bad idea

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 26, 2014

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Hey. Hey you know what's cool you guys? Cooler than drama?

Peter Ogawa is pitching in Coors this year. And two years to come (trades notwithstanding).

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

gyroball posted:

Peter Ogawa is pitching in Coors this year. And two years to come (trades notwithstanding).

He will get my HoF vote because he is, of course, the devil.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

vote mckay duffy

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gyroball posted:

Peter Ogawa needs to end up on Tucson and complete the NL West set. Like, how many players have had that happen with a division?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Couple slightly-above-useful guys in Rule 5 but on the whole not too much damage

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Every season I managed to put someone on waivers before the roster freeze so it takes forever for them to clear.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Roster freeze is the worst. They should at least let me move around my minor leaguers during this down time.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

oh god dammit Clarence Adams is gonna be Nigel Sung 2.0 isn't he

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

uublog posted:

oh god dammit Clarence Adams is gonna be Nigel Sung 2.0 isn't he

no nigel sung is good

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

no nigel sung is good

...oh I see what you did there

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Nooooooooooo Anibal Torrealba :(

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

hmm it seems I forgot to post my HoF ballot last season so I have no idea who's left that didn't get in, so I hope I covered everyone this time: Eddie Burke/Abraham Foulke/Gene Poole/Kiki Rivera/Orlando Vizcaino

I can't remember the last time I voted for someone who didn't play for me at some point

e: also the spring training guide for the new kids

Season 28 thread posted:

Do we have a list of things to change (and later change back) in preparation for spring training? Off the top of my head...

Spring training rosters
- I add everyone in AAA and select prospects in the lower levels

Rotation
- My rotation happens to be already decided this season, so I'm just using the 6th spot as prospect tryouts. In past rebuilding seasons, though, I've gone with as many as 4 or 5 prospects to see what they can do. I use a 6-man rotation to give them all 3 starts, or about 10 innings, which is generally the number to shoot for

Bullpen
- Give your ML relievers 3 appearances, and the same for your minor leaguers if you can

Lineups
- 30 AB is the target here
- REMEMBER TO SET YOUR DH AND NON-DH LINEUPS

Manager settings
- Set player rest to +/- one run, 5 innings into the game, to give your backups plenty or playing time and to not overuse your starters in games that don't mean poo poo

Player Rest
- this determines who actually replaces your starters when you're up/down by 1+ 5 innings in. Odds are the recommendations it sets for you automatically are dumb and bad, so figure out who you want to get the most playing time at each position in the 18 spring training games

Defensive Replacements
- just copy from player rest

Pinch-hitting
- for this I do just use the Recs just because it takes forever and doesn't really matter so I don't care to do it myself

Player settings
- This is super important during spring training. It's where you set your pitch counts for all your pitchers. I'm at 50 Target Pitch Count (which they'll always hit unless they're pitching like poo poo) and 60 Max Pitch Count (which they'll rarely hit unless they're pitching really great) for my SP to start, but I'll gradually increase it for their second and third starts. For Long Relievers, I have it at 25 TPC/30 MPC; 15 TPC/20 MPC for Setups; and 10 TPC/15 MPC if you have any closers. Use a pitcher's stamina and durability to determine what role to put him in, and thus how many pitches he should be good for. Stamina determines how many pitches he can throw in a single appearance before wearing out, while durability determines how fast he gets back to 100%, and thus optimal pitching state.
- For Rest Automatically, I keep basically everyone at 95%, unless someone has really bad stamina/durability, in which case I'll up him to 99%.
- There's rarely a good reason to not let it use a certain pitcher until a specified inning, so make sure all of those are set to 'Any.'
- Finally, the last column is how long a leash you want to give each pitcher. 1 means you let him work through jams by himself, 5 means you go to the bullpen at the slightest hint of trouble. Set your best pitchers lower and your worst pitchers higher.

Anyone have any different ideas, or know of anything I'm forgetting?

e: oh in player settings don't forget to check 'relief' for anyone you want used in relief, i.e. all of your relievers

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 27, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
So I just realized I pulled an Art and didn't manage my budget properly, and I need about a million bucks to bring up all the guys I want to after 20 games. So, uh, anyone want to buy a mediocre dude?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

combo no-hitter in the second game of ST

all downhill from here for Seattle

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Hall of Fame ballot:

Eddie Burke
Alan High
Omar Melendez
Davey Krause
ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER RAMIRO CERVANTES

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Torey Rosario needs a job someone sign him tia

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

poo poo, with the giant influx of payroll I've taken on recently I didn't realize that I can't actually afford Clarence Adams. Luckily I have until the AM cycle for TBB to either accept or decline his return

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Marino Armas DFA was a mistake

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Well I guess one of the trades won't go through but I have no idea which...

Welp it was both. That was preventable

uublog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Alright, y'all ready to GET HYPE for your S29 Chicago Barons (after 20 games)

STARTING NINE
C: Johnny Hitchcock
1B: Trot Henley
2B: Edward Fleming
3B: Carlos Sivilla
SS: Craig Tracy
RF: Hector Cabeza
CF: Hunter Peters
LF: Diego Peralta
DH: Rob Dunn

BENCH
C Vinny Kobayashi
LF Turner Clements
2B Eswalin Duran
RF Wladimir Jimenez

ROTATION
SP Ismael Ayala
SP Jimmie Garces
SP Erubiel Sojo
SP Vladimir Cruz
SP Chip McNamara

BULLPEN
RP Walt Walls
RP Miguel Beltran
RP Gary Griffin
RP Jackie Eyre
RP Rafael Romero
RP Shooter Mercker
RP Sammy Delgado

/finishes 83-79, third in AL North

e: Actual notes and critiques

Lineup is okay, will struggle to score runs past the first 5 batters
Pitching is weak in the backend, lacks depth
Walt Walls is actually garbage and I should have released him
Vinny Kobayashi owns and is probably the best 48 overall player in the majors atm
I finally get to make my Ruby Sojo jokes

gardenald fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 29, 2014

• Locked thread