Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

rolleyes posted:

You guys using paper towels to avoid touching anything in the bathroom might want to consider what's on nearby public fixtures: the next door down the corridor, the water cooler, the elevator button, the handrail in the stairwell.

Believe me, I do :( I try not to be insane about it, but I also try to be careful about that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

guppy posted:

Believe me, I do :( I try not to be insane about it, but I also try to be careful about that stuff.

You are breathing someones poop particles right now. We all are.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

guppy posted:

Open doors with your foot, use the back of your hand, knuckles to press buttons, pull your sleeve over your fingers when you have to pull a door...

Yeah, it can get obsessive if you try to avoid as much as possible.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You guys should stop being retarded and just buy some disinfectant for skin.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Wash your hands before you touch your dick. Generally speaking, it is cleaner than your hands are - it's underneath at least one layer of clothing.

Unless you wear chaps to work.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

More poo poo that pisses you off: poo poo and piss edition

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Moved to a new office last month. There is some poo poo bandit that messes up all three bathrooms nearby me every day. Dude seriously needs some fibre in his diet, and to see a doctor.

And yes, the building is really owned by "The WTF Group".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Guys, just learn to accept that poop is on everything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dennyk posted:

you're also basically grabbing all their dicks and/or sticking your finger between their rear end cheeks by proxy.

You're really not. I hate this analogy. You want to go this route? Ok, I'm shoving my fingers in your mouth, nose, eyes and ears, through your hair and beard, and I'm rubbing your arms, legs, and chest, you sexy beast you.

When we handshake, we are face-loving each other with our hands.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2014

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
<Rant>

poo poo pissing me off: Coworkers in the small company (160 people) that I work for that can walk past you in the hallway and not even acknowledge your existence.
I've worked in the same company as you for 6 years now, I see you every drat day around the office, I've fixed your computer for you, you know who I am mother fucker. :argh:
I'm not asking you to be my BFF4eva but a loving head nod or low guttural grunt in response to my saying hello would be nice. Staring straight ahead and acting like no one around you is worthy of hearing your majestic voice is not an acceptable way to act around other people.
To be fair there are only a couple rear end-hats that do this but it is literally every day. And for reference I live in a small rural community, strangers wave at each other when driving by and speak to each other in public places. I'm not in the middle of a giant city where people are conditioned to not make eye contact with the homeless guy down the street because some of the poor might rub off on you.

</Rant>

Also don't be a neanderthal, wash your drat hands before leaving the bathroom.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've taken to just wearing my earbuds when I'm out of my office. If I'm going to be invisible I might as well enjoy some music.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'd really like to trip them and then be like "Oh sorry. You must not have seen me there."

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Aryan Jesus posted:

It is wrong that you are going in. You should be jumping on a VPN and doing it from the beach.

If I had done it via the vpn I wouldn't have ever gotten to see the delicious meltdown as he hadn't seen it coming

canis minor
May 4, 2011

n3rdal3rt posted:

<Rant>

poo poo pissing me off: Coworkers in the small company (160 people) that I work for that can walk past you in the hallway and not even acknowledge your existence.
I've worked in the same company as you for 6 years now, I see you every drat day around the office, I've fixed your computer for you, you know who I am mother fucker. :argh:
I'm not asking you to be my BFF4eva but a loving head nod or low guttural grunt in response to my saying hello would be nice. Staring straight ahead and acting like no one around you is worthy of hearing your majestic voice is not an acceptable way to act around other people.
To be fair there are only a couple rear end-hats that do this but it is literally every day. And for reference I live in a small rural community, strangers wave at each other when driving by and speak to each other in public places. I'm not in the middle of a giant city where people are conditioned to not make eye contact with the homeless guy down the street because some of the poor might rub off on you.

</Rant>

Also don't be a neanderthal, wash your drat hands before leaving the bathroom.

Same here and there's ~20 of us. We all sit in one room.

:geno:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pissing me off: email address rewrite agent is only available on edge server roles for exchange 2010.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

evobatman posted:

You are breathing someones poop particles right now. We all are.

The lesser discussed corollary to the old saying that everyone on earth will take a breath sharing a molecule with Caesar's last breath is that the same breath also shares a molecule with his last poop.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who otherwise seem like competent, educated folk have terrible hygiene habits around the bathroom. I see people walk out without even looking at the sink all the time. It's bad enough that it's got it's own separate section in the annual training requirements company-wide. Not coincidentally, last month there was also a site-wide memo that the outdoor Recycling bins (5 feet from the garbage bins) are only for recyclables and not, y'know, garbage bags full of rotting food; apparently we were on the verge of getting fined by the city for how bad it had gotten.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am weird and would prefer that the vast majority of people do not address or speak to me in the halls as I am walking somewhere. I am polite and will answer and it doesn't make me ANGRY, but I don't get anything out of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AlternateAccount posted:

I am weird and would prefer that the vast majority of people do not address or speak to me in the halls as I am walking somewhere. I am polite and will answer and it doesn't make me ANGRY, but I don't get anything out of it.

Is this you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes, you are weird.

Actually it just makes you an introvert and maybe autistic. So yeah, weird.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Relevant to the discussion: an episode of Mythbusters.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

incoherent posted:

Pissing me off: email address rewrite agent is only available on edge server roles for exchange 2010.

The managed services (read: windows server) team ran into that recently with a Lync project, one of them came up to me with the idea of doing ~*magic*~ with postfix. I ended up deploying one that did envelope and header rewrites via the magic of regex.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
If I'm walking around at work, or really in general, there's a decent chance that I'll be lost in thought, concentrating on something else, or looking for something.
Please forgive me if I'm not interested in stopping and talking about your day, the weather, sports, your kids/grandkids, or anything else that isn't related to my job or the task at hand.

At times I may be so lost in thought that I may not appropriately respond to your grunt or head nod that I do not give a reply that leaves you feeling personally fulfilled. I probably don't wish you any ill, and I respect you as a person, but there are bigger things to worry about than whether someone acknowledges your presence as they pass you in the hallway.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

Is this you?

Sickening posted:

Yes, you are weird.

Actually it just makes you an introvert and maybe autistic. So yeah, weird.

I am not a robot, I just don't get anything out of that interaction and it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt my feelings not to be "acknowledged." And yeah... it kind of stresses me out that I say enough to be a proper response and not say TOO much that it becomes awkward and blah blah blah.
How's this, if whatever they utter at me is two syllables, it's fine. "Hey" "Hi" "Hello" "Whuddup" whatever.

Also, if I am walking somewhere, I am probably walking somewhere to fix something, so 99% of my brain is working on that right about then. I don't get mad about getting distracted, but I can be a little HURRF BLURRF WHAT confused for a second.

I know a big part of it is that I don't "know" a lot of the people here beyond superficially, so it's difficult to know exactly how to respond. People I work with often are a much easier situation.

Oh, well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not a robot, I just don't get anything out of that interaction and it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt my feelings not to be "acknowledged." And yeah... it kind of stresses me out that I say enough to be a proper response and not say TOO much that it becomes awkward and blah blah blah.
How's this, if whatever they utter at me is two syllables, it's fine. "Hey" "Hi" "Hello" "Whuddup" whatever.

Also, if I am walking somewhere, I am probably walking somewhere to fix something, so 99% of my brain is working on that right about then. I don't get mad about getting distracted, but I can be a little HURRF BLURRF WHAT confused for a second.

I know a big part of it is that I don't "know" a lot of the people here beyond superficially, so it's difficult to know exactly how to respond. People I work with often are a much easier situation.

Oh, well.

In all seriousness, you are just heavy on the introvert side.

If you haven't read about it you need to.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I have, it doesn't cause me problems in my work life. I understand how to deal with it and how to keep it from being something that causes me problems. I've been through my "WHY AM I SO DIFFERENT AND WEIRD" phase, I just hate self identifying as "introvert" because the internet is trying to make it into something stupid and terrible.
Probably the only time it causes me legitimate "stress" is company outings that are more social. Those can be difficult.

I am going to a conference next week, so for 4 days it will just be me and another employee. I don't know her very well, and it's gonna be a big, crowded thing and it will certainly not be a vacation. I am thinking of taking some vacation time at the end of it and just cruising up the coast and decompressing for a bit.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sickening posted:

Those who get upset about inadequate acknowledgement from potentially introverted colleagues should read about introversion too. There's nothing wrong with being introverted. Here's a fairly decent read on the subject: http://amzn.com/0307352153

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
poo poo that's pissing me off today:

The CEO of our company (software consultancy) made a sister company which basically does marketing. It's a separate company, so that company gets clients, and then they do their marketing campaign, while the PM of that marketing company is our client at the parent company (yes it's confusing, it basically means we're doing our software development thing, but there's a middle man between us, and the real client.)

What sucks is that the PM of the marketing company, tries to involve themselves in every aspect of the software development process, but is a marketer. This means constant redesigns and late nights, making changes that the actual client didn't request, but that the marketing PM has decided the client needs. It's the shittiest loving business model I've ever seen and I really hope that the CEO drops this company once it comes back that it's super not profitable to take devs and designers off of big profitable projects, to redesign a squarespace template for the 30th time, because one marketing person thinks it'll be better for conversion.

We designed a site for them, they managed an indiegogo campaign for the actual client, they blasted past the goal in like 3 hours because the product is actually super cool, but we keep getting calls about how we need to change the entire site to be better for conversion, even though this product has already been funded many times over, and has a ton of press on the webiverse, and the actual client LOVES the site.

It's such a loving pain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of people in marketing invest a lot of time and effort to ensure that the gravy train keeps rolling and the billable work adds up. That's what you're seeing now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Those who get upset about inadequate acknowledgement from potentially introverted colleagues should read about introversion too. There's nothing wrong with being introverted. Here's a fairly decent read on the subject: http://amzn.com/0307352153

There is nothing wrong with being introverted, slow your jets. His posts were framed in such a way it seemed like he might be clueless about his situation. "Am I weird if..." doesn't really didn't give me a vibe of self reflection.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yay vmworld, nothing like walking in to take a piss and seeing a guy blasting away with no hands because he's got a fully loaded swag bag on one and a goddamn ice cream cone in the other!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
More poo poo that pisses you off: My Boss Said Ice Cream While I'm Pissing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Yay vmworld, nothing like walking in to take a piss and seeing a guy blasting away with no hands because he's got a fully loaded swag bag on one and a goddamn ice cream cone in the other!

It sounds like he's living his dream and you're just a little jealous.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
By proxy, he's pissing in that ice cream while he's eating it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

anthonypants posted:

The piss particles will reach Mars sometime next July. Nobody's going to want to touch that rover.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

peeNamaste posted:

What sucks is that the PM of the marketing company, tries to involve themselves in every aspect of the software development process, but is a marketer. This means constant redesigns and late nights, making changes that the actual client didn't request, but that the marketing PM has decided the client needs.

Have you tried saying no?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Looks like our primary virtual host at our colo keeled over today. I sent a force reboot but it's not coming back. To make things better, they're doing heavy construction in Seattle, shut down a main road, and are redirecting traffic all by where I need to go. I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll probably add about two hours on to the commute down there. I continue to be living proof that Murphy's Law is real.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Che Delilas posted:

This is true as a broad statement but proper hand washing with soap and water followed by attempting to not immediately re-contaminate your hands with literal poo poo does not constitute "wrapping yourself in a bubble." It is a basic precaution to avoid the worst of the creepycrawlies, and if I never get Norovirus or any other cause of "food poisoning" again it will be too soon. I'll take an immune system compromised to that extent, thanks.
Still probably cleaner than your computer keyboard or your chair.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fluppet posted:

If I had done it via the vpn I wouldn't have ever gotten to see the delicious meltdown as he hadn't seen it coming

Tell us a story, Uncle Fluppet! (aunt?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

anthonypants posted:

He's pissing in the mouth of every single person at that conference, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

stubblyhead posted:

Have you tried saying no?

Yes, unfortunately it's not my call to make.

I could request to be taken off the project, but I like the product itself.