Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Favorite was Appa + Momo, because that's kinda/sorta canon. Also, Koh.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

Favorite was Appa + Momo, because that's kinda/sorta canon. Also, Koh.
Mine was Gyatso.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Thanks for getting really weird guys.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Goodbye Legend of Korra thread. You were good, for a while, but now you have gone to a dark place. May Deadpool bring you the peace you seek.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite ship is joey x chandler

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

grownup aang's chinstrap is weird

I used to have a chinstrap when I was stupid

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Okay, so, rumor round-up, courtesy of the Christian Post (Reliable? Not reliable? I don't know, who cares):

- Book 4 will be titled Balance

- Release date for Book 4 could be as early as January 2015. They think this will be the case, because the release of art books usually coincides with the premier of a new season, and the Book 3 art book is going to be published in January

- It's "speculated" to begin in the Fire Nation

- There will be a preview for Book 4 at the New York Comic Con in October

Apart from the release date, this seems like stuff most of us would have already guessed. January 2015 seems a bit early, but you won't see me complaining.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

PupsOfWar posted:

grownup aang's chinstrap is weird

I used to have a chinstrap when I was stupid

It's because Michael Dante DiMartino has a chinstrap.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Huh, I've been throwing titles around my head and one of them was Balance. That probably makes sense.

Still, after the bittersweet ending on Book 3, Book 4 better be titled Sunshine.

Jan 2015 is four months away and they are saying how much it's nearly, nearly finished guys. So it's not too impossible.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Something is about to change because the fire nation attacked.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Book 4: Chelation.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rehab.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I wouldn't be shocked if it's pushed back to mid-Spring or early Summer. If they're being completely serious, though... :stare: That is one hell of a good workflow they've got going.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bryan Konietzko just reminds me of Peter Parker, especially in his pre-mustache days.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Book 4: Stairs

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
for me Mako's Lightning has always been a bit of an Ace-in-the-hole that he does not like to use unless he knows he absolutely needs it.

My least favorite part was that how Zaheer was simply detained, and not truly defeated. and even then he was basically reduced to Mad Stan at the end just sorta babbling...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NextTime000 posted:

for me Mako's Lightning has always been a bit of an Ace-in-the-hole that he does not like to use unless he knows he absolutely needs it.

My least favorite part was that how Zaheer was simply detained, and not truly defeated. and even then he was basically reduced to Mad Stan at the end just sorta babbling...

He actually reminds me of Iago. Sure you beat him, but at what cost?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

NextTime000 posted:

He was defeated though. The airbenders demonstrated that a group working cooperatively are more powerful than an individual working alone. Since his entire message was that of anarchy, self-reliance, and the destruction of governments, his whole philosophy was shown to be nothing but hot air. Maybe he wasn't physically defeated by injury, but his message was defeated and that's why he's reduced to babble, it's all that's left of his worldview.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On the other hand, it's precisely because of that individualistic philosophy that capturing him doesn't mean stopping him. The "revolution" (if it may be so called) he instigated in Ba Sing Se is still ongoing, and anyone who was listening to his radio broadcast would understand that they don't need him to keep going. This isn't like Amon and the Equalists where the movement is based on the unique capabilities of its charismatic leader; Zaheer's philosophy, although far more radical, speaks for itself and has no leader to expose or defeat. Makes me wonder if some ex-Equalists remained organized and will now take advantage of the situation.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Makes me wonder if some ex-Equalists remained organized and will now take advantage of the situation.

Well, there's many characters from earlier seasons who could still return... The Sergeant from S1 was never seen again after crashing into some rubble, he could still show up; there's Unalaq's wife, who was alluded to at the very end of S2; the remaining Red Lotus members; and, of course, I still don't trust Suyin. She's evil. I don't know why, or how, but I'm telling you, she totally is!

According to that IGN interview linked before, they're planning on linking S4 to the previous villains. I was already happy about the callback to Amon & Co. in the S3 finale. Who knows - we'll surely have a new villain, but I'd love to see some older villains running around, too. Also, we still need Koh to show up. Com'oooooon, it's been five seasons, surely having him return now wouldn't be weak fanservice...

Also, Ghazan still lives. :mad:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

On the other hand, it's precisely because of that individualistic philosophy that capturing him doesn't mean stopping him. The "revolution" (if it may be so called) he instigated in Ba Sing Se is still ongoing, and anyone who was listening to his radio broadcast would understand that they don't need him to keep going. This isn't like Amon and the Equalists where the movement is based on the unique capabilities of its charismatic leader; Zaheer's philosophy, although far more radical, speaks for itself and has no leader to expose or defeat. Makes me wonder if some ex-Equalists remained organized and will now take advantage of the situation.
My favorite choice of words for dialogue in the whole season, maybe all of LOK, was when Zaheer said "The Earth Queen was taken down by revolutionaries, including myself." He does not deny his involvement, but he does not single out that he was the one who did it, because he doesn't want to be a figure. More than not even saying his name, which would become apparent after they figured out how the queen died and someone with any brains at all put two and two together, that really showed that he was not at all about personal glory when doing this.
Even when he seemed legit, the show had Amon purposefully built himself up as a savior. None of that with Zaheer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Barlow posted:

Wasn't the entire point of the end that Tenzin changed? He did make Jinora an master and realized that the Air nation couldn't live like it did when Ang was born. He still wanted to save something of the Air nations traditions but he also changed their entire way of life and gave the nation a new mission to defend the world precisely because it couldn't stay the same.

Well I did say almost done binging. If you're talking about accepting Kai, the loss of the Northern Air Temple or making Jinora an official master, that isn't exactly the same as the New Airbending nation being shown in Book 4 or several years down the line having other bending schools start to form or the Traditional Air Nomads being a minority in the new Air Culture. But knowing me, I likely won't be satisfied unless I see something like the next show being 50s China and the Air Greasers led by The Fonz are a giant headache for the Nomads and the next Avatar. That or maybe Airnicks? I'm trying to think up a good cultural pun.

Zaheer is just amazing. He's the evil Air Bender I always wanted with him ripping the oxygen out of the Earth Queen's lungs. Then he just becomes gently caress you, Got Mine Superman in Enter the Void and its all gravy. Hopefully the Red Lotus survives whatever happens in Book 4 and they become the equivalent of either Anarchistic or Communist ideology in the Avatar world. Because when you make a group of people led by thousands of years know-your-place system into King/Queen killers, its hard to cow them back into line once the monarchs and Emperors start to fall. At least until the Great Leaders and Chairman Something-or-others start to crop up, anyway.

But as nice as this season was, Jesus Christ was the torture and ending almost screaming to be some justification as to why Korra is equal or better than Aang. It was impressive storytelling and satisfying animation wise, but it felt like they abused her to fight that old battle with the first show fans again instead of just accepting that this is Korra and building a good narrative of fighting all of these past connections to villains who are all trying to violently move past needing an Avatar. Maybe I'm reading too much into it or still in shock at how much they got away with breaking her down like that.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2014

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

Well, there's many characters from earlier seasons who could still return... The Sergeant from S1 was never seen again after crashing into some rubble, he could still show up; there's Unalaq's wife, who was alluded to at the very end of S2; the remaining Red Lotus members; and, of course, I still don't trust Suyin. She's evil. I don't know why, or how, but I'm telling you, she totally is!

IIRC, she's the only non-villain to murder someone on-screen. However, I always considered her more irresponsible and capricious than evil, kinda like Varrick.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Filthy Casual posted:

IIRC, she's the only non-villain to murder someone on-screen. However, I always considered her more irresponsible and capricious than evil, kinda like Varrick.

Mako might have, depending on whether or not Ming-Hua was electrocuted on the spot or died when Ghazan collapsed the caves. Kyoshi killed Chin the conquerer. Korra killed Unalaq, although that was a bunch of spiritual cosmic monster fighting and not just blowing off his head. The Gaang blew up Combustion Man, although I guess that wasn't necessarily their plan.

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Rincewind posted:

Mako might have, depending on whether or not Ming-Hua was electrocuted on the spot or died when Ghazan collapsed the caves. Kyoshi killed Chin the conquerer. Korra killed Unalaq, although that was a bunch of spiritual cosmic monster fighting and not just blowing off his head. The Gaang blew up Combustion Man, although I guess that wasn't necessarily their plan.

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

You see her kind of sigh and groan when she gets out of the water, kind of like "always be parachutin'" in Book 1.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I honestly thought Bolin was fine this season. Book 2 was the time where I was like, yeah, I don't like this character anymore. But he didn't really do anything particularly frustrating this time around; I really liked him in the Zaofu episodes, in fact. The thing is that Bolin is a consummate manchild, as opposed to Sokka who was a child forced to be a man, and the former is just never going to be as endearing as the latter.

And hell, I loved Suyin being the one to kill someone in a fight. I mean...obviously I don't love murder :unsmigghh: obviously, but I always appreciate when stories depict different approaches and mindsets to the concept. Su is not Aang, which doesn't make her better, but it still makes her great.

I do wonder how Tenzin feels about three people having to die in order to protect his new Air Nation, though. And, heck, I wonder how they were able to subdue P'li thirteen years ago if they didn't straight up kill her.

hiddenriverninja posted:

You see her kind of sigh and groan when she gets out of the water, kind of like "always be parachutin'" in Book 1.
Those were probably death rattles. :shepface:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Thanks to whoever posted the puma man video for giving me this idea
Yeah this video shows what annoyed me about the whole final half of the finale. They're standing there threatening Zaheer when they should have just entombed him in rock like they did at the end of the episode. Why wouldn't they do that instead of just telling him to drop her? He obviously didn't want Korra dead, he would have killed her as soon as he knocked her out. They know he wants her alive. Just trap his rear end in dirt and he can't help but not move.

They did this time after time in fight after fight. I was actually yelling at the screen 'why aren't you doing X? Do X!' because it was so obvious and they seemed to just forget the various cool tricks they'd shown them doing repeatedly for the sake of dragging out the fights. I was also unimpressed with Korra's hulking out at the end. I think this summed it up pretty well:

AlmightyPants posted:

I guess I don't like that Korra is a dumbass who loves a good fight but is awful at the actual act of fighting.
She was just so drat slow and lumbering with a bunch of cool-looking sound and fury that was completely ineffective. Hopefully being stuck in a wheelchair unable to rely on her natural gifts with bending will force her to loving think about what she's trying to do instead of constantly react. Maybe she'll go the Steven Hawking route and be the most spiritual airbender of them all because she has no other choice, who knows.

I too was miffed they just mowed down three of the four main villains. They were a good group and I'd have liked to have seen them more fleshed out. I don't think Mako killed the waterbender, she was groaning when he left her. Ghazan did them both in (unwittingly). I also think Suyin accidentally killed P'Li with the metal mask, she was just trying to encase her head in iron to keep her from bending and the timing was really bad. That was pretty brutal.

I figured the talking guard kid for a Red Lotus plant, but given its Robin Williams kid it was probably just 'here have a speaking role' and that was it. Still felt really jarring and out of place. Ditto Bolin's attempts at comic relief. Speaking of someone I'd like to put a sock in it... Bolin's at like 11, he needs to be around a 3.

I didn't realize the height disparity between P'Li and Zaheer, but it made me giggle and remember a passage from a book about an American studying martial arts in China that said rich important Chinese bureaucrats would pick the tallest Northern Chinese girls (the area was known for the height of the people, I think Yao Ming is from somewhere up there) they could find to be their mistresses because height was some kind of rare desired trait in a mistress. She made him look even more squat and burly.

Anyway, it was a good season, but the final fight left me kind of eh. The wheelchair thing was interesting and I'm curious as to where they'll go with it. Jinora did look just like Aang, I wonder if she'll just grow out the back hair. The Airbender girl mullet look is not my favorite, I'll admit.

My husband finally watched ATLA though and still likes Korra better, though he admits if he had seen ATLA first he probably would have liked it more. We also caught a lot of things on rewatch of ATLA that we hadn't noticed before, like Kya being Katara's mom's name (who is Tenzin named after? Anyone?) Also the seedy bar in the oasis with all their wanted posters in LOK appears exactly the same in ATLA. Those were just the two off the top of my head (Ba Sing Se was almost identical as someone else said).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oracle posted:

He obviously didn't want Korra dead, he would have killed her as soon as he knocked her out. They know he wants her alive.

He'd be more willing to kill Korra than let her get away and IIRC said as much.

Oracle posted:

that was completely ineffective.

Again, despite dying of Mercury Poisoning, she was winning that fight. Zaheer was falling with a frozen leg and Korra was rushing to deck him when she was finally overcome.

The show literally showed her screaming in agony and hallucinating. The animation choices they used showed her effectively in a berserker rage. Going "See, she doesn't understand how to not just react" when she's in dying agony is ridiculous, especially because they dedicated everything before she Avatars out to showing her trying to control herself under extreme physical torture and even the Red Lotus comment on how long it is taking.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of watching the Red Lotus die :black101:

The way P'Li went down was just awesome. I involuntarily shouted "holy loving poo poo" to my tv screen. :black101:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Filthy Casual posted:

See, I don't get this. I see Suyin as someone who once lived carelessly and recklessly to boot, but she grew up and learned from it. Since being kicked out of Republic City by her mother, she's grown into a normal adult, albeit one whose decisions regarding Korra are tempered by memories of what it was like to once feel like adult authority figures were oppressive. None of the decisions she made regarding Korra were bad or irresponsible, considering there were so many things only Korra could do and were proper for her to handle as the Avatar. Everyone else wanted to wrap her up in cotton wool and stand in front of her and the bad guys, but being the Avatar is inherently dangerous and carries the risk of dying in the line of duty or at the hands of someone who opposes the Avatar for whatever reason.

She also was willing from the get-go to bury the hatchet with Lin, but the problem was that Lin couldn't accept that she wasn't the same as when she was just a teenage idiot succumbing to the pressure of her peer group and driving getaway cars for them. Imagine 20-30 years have passed since you did something dumb, and having someone in your family still treating you like you're that teenager, despite having become a respected community leader and having teenage kids of your own.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

Yeah this video shows what annoyed me about the whole final half of the finale. They're standing there threatening Zaheer when they should have just entombed him in rock like they did at the end of the episode. Why wouldn't they do that instead of just telling him to drop her? He obviously didn't want Korra dead, he would have killed her as soon as he knocked her out. They know he wants her alive. Just trap his rear end in dirt and he can't help but not move.
He was loving flying. He had maneuverability that literally no one knew how to possibly deal with. And even when he was caught in a goddamn tornado, he still only went to the ground because 1. He would rather get captured than let go of Korra willingly and 2. When he did drop Korra after sheer exhaustion of holding on to a woman with a ridiculous muscle density with a single arm while [i[flying against a tornado[/i], it was only Korra being able to wrap a chain around his leg that allowed her to bring him down to the ground.

quote:

They did this time after time in fight after fight. I was actually yelling at the screen 'why aren't you doing X? Do X!' because it was so obvious and they seemed to just forget the various cool tricks they'd shown them doing repeatedly for the sake of dragging out the fights. I was also unimpressed with Korra's hulking out at the end. I think this summed it up pretty well:
She was just so drat slow and lumbering with a bunch of cool-looking sound and fury that was completely ineffective. Hopefully being stuck in a wheelchair unable to rely on her natural gifts with bending will force her to loving think about what she's trying to do instead of constantly react. Maybe she'll go the Steven Hawking route and be the most spiritual airbender of them all because she has no other choice, who knows.
Did you not see her chucking boulders at him at ludicrous speed, which he dodged like a leaf in the motherfucking wind? Watch the fight again and see just how balls-out insane the poo poo Korra pulls while still kinda keeping up with Zaheer despite being bound by gravity and momentum and tell me again how "slow and lumbering" she is.

quote:

I too was miffed they just mowed down three of the four main villains. They were a good group and I'd have liked to have seen them more fleshed out. I don't think Mako killed the waterbender, she was groaning when he left her. Ghazan did them both in (unwittingly). I also think Suyin accidentally killed P'Li with the metal mask, she was just trying to encase her head in iron to keep her from bending and the timing was really bad. That was pretty brutal.
They explicitly showed Su waiting for right before P'Li got off her blast. There's a good five or so seconds when Lin's on the ground and P'Li's waiting for the dust to settle to make sure that Lin doesn't have a trick up her sleeve.

quote:

I figured the talking guard kid for a Red Lotus plant, but given its Robin Williams kid it was probably just 'here have a speaking role' and that was it. Still felt really jarring and out of place. Ditto Bolin's attempts at comic relief. Speaking of someone I'd like to put a sock in it... Bolin's at like 11, he needs to be around a 3.
I'll be shocked if Kuvira doesn't come back for Book 4, and Bolin, while not nearly as good as he was in the first half of Book 1, is miles better than he was in Book 2.

quote:

We also caught a lot of things on rewatch of ATLA that we hadn't noticed before, like Kya being Katara's mom's name (who is Tenzin named after? Anyone?)
Both Tenzin and Aang's mentor Gyatso are named after the same person: Tenzin Gyatso, the current Dalai Lama.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 26, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Wow now that I rewatch the scene where Zaheer just completely loses his poo poo after Suyin removes the mercury from Korra's system, it reminds me of when Alex Jokes completely loving lost it and started screaming on BBC. I was almost expecting him to scream "INFOWARS DOT COM" before he got a sock stuffed in his mouth.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 26, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Again, despite dying of Mercury Poisoning, she was winning that fight. Zaheer was falling with a frozen leg and Korra was rushing to deck him when she was finally overcome.

The show literally showed her screaming in agony and hallucinating. The animation choices they used showed her effectively in a berserker rage. Going "See, she doesn't understand how to not just react" when she's in dying agony is ridiculous, especially because they dedicated everything before she Avatars out to showing her trying to control herself under extreme physical torture and even the Red Lotus comment on how long it is taking.

I don't want to speak for anybody but despite liking the finale a whole bunch I couldn't help thinking much of the same things myself while watching it. We've seen the Avatar state in a true "all-out-combat-gently caress-the-consequences" scene twice now and there's just a bit of a disconnect between what we saw the first time and what we saw the second time.

In the first one you have a 13 year old pacifist who before even entering it managed to hold off, to some extent, a super-powered version of the most powerful fire bender in the world. There was always the building sense that Aang was no match for Ozai without the Avatar state of course but it was still a fight until it wasn't. As soon as Aang entered the Avatar state Ozai became nothing before it, all he could do was run, even during a time he and a dozen other fire benders could have conceivably burned an entire country to the ground.

In the second you have Korra who is, supposedly, an even better fighter than Aang and yet even with the Avatar state she was the one that seemingly couldn't keep up with a single air bender who, it should be noted, couldn't match Tenzin one-on-one. Flying around is a bit of a wildcard but its hard to say if it made him or better air bender or not, he didn't dodge anything that Ozai never managed to with his fire jets, Zaheer just did it without looking like like he was fleeing for his life. But Korra basically threw everything she had at Zaheer, with the implied intent to kill him, but only managed to really connect a couple of times.

Even knowing that Korra is poisoned and that she no longer has access to the past lives of the Avatar wasn't quite enough to clear up that disconnect. It didn't ruin anything for me but I have to acknowledge it can exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Even knowing that Korra is poisoned and that she no longer has access to the past lives of the Avatar wasn't quite enough to clear up that disconnect. It didn't ruin anything for me but I have to acknowledge it can exist.

Except you're not actually explaining it or what the disconnect is. You're just going 'she didn't win the fight but Aang did!"

The situations are completely different. Aang had finally achieved his complete control over the Avatar state and while facing a powerful opponent was completely in control of himself and effectively uninjured. If anything he was healthier than he had been for the entire season since his chakra was finally unblocked by Deus Ex Rockina.

In comparison Korra was wracked with pain, hallucinating and appeared to be in a complete berserker state based on her actions. She wasn't doing simple controlled bending she was lashing out with the pure power at her control. She was also in the process of dying. There is nothing else that needs to explain why she didn't instantly win the fight. She was fighting under a gigantic handicap, one larger than Aang ever had to fight under while in the Avatar state, against an opponent who could do almost nothing but run away from her.

Why is "she is literally dying in an agonizing and mind-damaging way" not an explanation? It isn't like she got the poison removed and then was fine. The last we see of her this season is her in the middle of what looks like a pretty awful recovery period. Her body took severe and extreme damage and the Avatar State doesn't make her invincible. They spend the entire episode emphasizing that she is in a state that no other person in the world would even be able to fight in, against an opponent who is literally the second person ever to learn the ultimate form of Airbending and she still was effectively winning.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He was loving flying. He had maneuverability that literally no one knew how to possibly deal with. And even when he was caught in a goddamn tornado, he still only went to the ground because 1. He would rather get captured than let go of Korra willingly and 2. When he did drop Korra after sheer exhaustion of holding on to a woman with a ridiculous muscle density with a single arm while [i[flying against a tornado[/i], it was only Korra being able to wrap a chain around his leg that allowed her to bring him down to the ground.

I think the person you quoted was talking about the moments before Zaheer first went off the cliff with Korra, when Su and Lin were just standing there doing nothing but yelling at him to surrender and then gave him like 1-2 "this your last warning." Instead of just restraining him in earth when they had the element of surprise. Yeah they were on a cliff but the guy's a loving airbender and they jump off super high places pretty much all the time no problem, so it was kind of dumb that they didn't attempt something.

Really this has always been a common problem in both AtLA and Korra - the heroes just run up, strike a stance and then just kind of wait while the villain gets ready to pull some big move. I understand why they do it, since the show wouldn't really be much fun if there were no crazy bending battles. But it can be a little ridiculous sometimes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ImpAtom posted:

Except you're not actually explaining it.

Deus Ex Rockina.

I want to steal this for a band name.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Tiny reminder that we've also seen Korra utilize the full(ish) powers of the Avatar State in her fight against Unalaq.

I dunno what relevance that might have with anything, but yeah in any case this isn't the first time we've seen Korra go all out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Except you're not actually explaining it or what the disconnect is. You're just going 'she didn't win the fight but Aang did!"

The situations are completely different. Aang had finally achieved his complete control over the Avatar state and while facing a powerful opponent was completely in control of himself and effectively uninjured. If anything he was healthier than he had been for the entire season since his chakra was finally unblocked by Deus Ex Rockina.

In comparison Korra was wracked with pain, hallucinating and appeared to be in a complete berserker state based on her actions. She wasn't doing simple controlled bending she was lashing out with the pure power at her control. She was also in the process of dying. There is nothing else that needs to explain why she didn't instantly win the fight. She was fighting under a gigantic handicap, one larger than Aang ever had to fight under while in the Avatar state, against an opponent who could do almost nothing but run away from her.

Why is "she is literally dying in an agonizing and mind-damaging way" not an explanation? It isn't like she got the poison removed and then was fine. The last we see of her this season is her in the middle of what looks like a pretty awful recovery period. Her body took severe and extreme damage and the Avatar State doesn't make her invincible. They spend the entire episode emphasizing that she is in a state that no other person in the world would even be able to fight in, against an opponent who is literally the second person ever to learn the ultimate form of Airbending and she still was winning.

We don't see any of this during the fight though. It's not until the very end of the whole sequence that we see her affected at all since she entered the Avatar state. Up until the very last second it looked, sounded, and felt like absolutely nothing was wrong. A few short shots of her struggling to keep going because of the poison before the end, not because Zaheer can fly (frankly Ozai seemed to fly just as well as Zaheer) would have gone a long way to help explain why he managed to do as much as he did against the Avatar.

And again, most of me agrees with you. Korra was fatally poisoned, of course that's going to affect her, Avatar state or not. But another part of me sees what happened on screen and noticed that we didn't see any evidence of the poison affecting Avatar state Korra until she suddenly lost all control. We saw her struggle to stay out of the Avatar state, seeing a similar struggle to stay in the Avatar state would have been enough for that small part me while still keeping the both it and Zaheer a credible threat to each other.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Really this has always been a common problem in both AtLA and Korra any and every action-oriented show or movie in the entire history of time - the heroes just run up, strike a stance and then just kind of wait while the villain gets ready to pull some big move.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

We don't see any of this during the fight though.

Yes we do. She's screaming and breathing fire in a rage, attacking wildly and when she's about to die she looks up at her dad like she isn't sure she is seeing him. (and only really clearly realizes he's alive once the poison is removed.) Even for Korra, the way she's acting and fighting is clearly not her usual self.

Kibayasu posted:

We saw her struggle to stay out of the Avatar state, seeing a similar struggle to stay in the Avatar state would have been enough for that small part me while still keeping the both it and Zaheer a credible threat to each other.

Why would she have to struggle to stay in the Avatar State though? Like the entire point of the plan is that it forces her body into a position where the Avatar State has to activate to keep her alive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread