Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Pack Rat was annoying in limited but I can remember times beating it and losing with it. Admittedly few times, but it's not like it's stone unbeatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate losing to any B/x devotion deck playing Rabble Red. It's just so annoying. I just hilariously flooded out 2 games in a row in my league last night after winning game 1 easily and in G3 he draws bile blight, drown, bile blight after i've seen 8 lands in about 14 cards. So it basically takes 3 of the perfect hate cards + me flodding out to lose that matchup.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Pack Rat is it's the definition of a bomb, your opponent either deals with it (immediately) or it wins the game on its own. It's a problem when a card like that comes down on turn 2, especially in a format where most removal costs 3 mana.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It should also be noted that if you didn't draw whatever removal you had in the first two turns of the game then Pack Rat took over. Similarly, a turn 5+ Pack Rat, whilst less effective on the board, was an equally ridiculous play to face against even if you have your removal in hand. You can list all the removal in the world but the window in which to deal with a Pack Rat was unfairly small.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

an_mutt posted:

It should also be noted that if you didn't draw whatever removal you had in the first two turns of the game then Pack Rat took over. Similarly, a turn 5+ Pack Rat, whilst less effective on the board, was an equally ridiculous play to face against even if you have your removal in hand. You can list all the removal in the world but the window in which to deal with a Pack Rat was unfairly small.

Pack Rat has won almost as many bad players' games as rev has.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Pack Rat has won almost as many bad players' games as rev has.
I don't know, the thing I love about Pack Rat is that so many people put it in their decks and don't know how to play it properly.
Turn 2 Pack Rat on the draw into my removal-saturated Jund deck? OK...
You have one rat on board, I kill it with Vraska's -3 and you Hero's Downfall my Vraska in response instead of using that mana to make another rat? OK...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Even if it eats a removal spell T2 it's still great.

Entropic posted:

You have one rat on board, I kill it with Vraska's -3 and you Hero's Downfall my Vraska in response instead of using that mana to make another rat? OK...

Wow that is horrible.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 26, 2014

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I get the impression that Pack Rat dominates a bit more easily in a format like Standard. I doubt it'll get a lot of love in Modern, at least as long as Maelstrom Pulse exists.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

Pack Rat is it's the definition of a bomb, your opponent either deals with it (immediately) or it wins the game on its own. It's a problem when a card like that comes down on turn 2, especially in a format where most removal costs 3 mana.

This right here,there are more "powerful" cards and cards that similarly slam the game shut once cast, the difference is when. Turn 2 is way to fast.

Entropic posted:

I don't know, the thing I love about Pack Rat is that so many people put it in their decks and don't know how to play it properly.
Turn 2 Pack Rat on the draw into my removal-saturated Jund deck? OK...

Well.......the best thing for one's win percentage is a bad opponent, no matter the format.

InterrupterJones posted:

I get the impression that Pack Rat dominates a bit more easily in a format like Standard. I doubt it'll get a lot of love in Modern, at least as long as Maelstrom Pulse exists.
I'd be shocked if it becomes a thing in modern....but I've seen stranger things happen.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

InterrupterJones posted:

Pulse is played as a 1-2 of in a deck with less than 8% representation. Detention sphere is played as a 4 of in the premier control deck (unless youre on that planar cleansing plan which gently caress you) in standard

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

It has seen play in vintage...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

It certainly gets out of control in standard in a way that it just doesn't in other formats, but it's seeing some play in Vintage as an aggressive threat that doesn't tie up your mana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tonetta posted:

Pulse is played as a 1-2 of in a deck with less than 8% representation. Detention sphere is played as a 4 of in the premier control deck (unless youre on that planar cleansing plan which gently caress you) in standard

So is Bile Blight.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

mcmagic posted:

So is Bile Blight.

Better be careful of that Maelstrom Pulse play though

Oh nevermind the part where youre playing the color with easy removal and sac outlets if you just happened to be blown out by this one crazy trick

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tonetta posted:

Huh, so it is. I guess because it's sorcery speed? Kinda surprising, because I remember it being an auto 4-of in Jund back in the day. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

As mcmagic pointed out, there is also bile blight. Also wraths are way more common in standard than other formats outside of miracles so theres that too. It's pretty much the stone cold nuts and I am glad I have a foil set.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

Huh, so it is. I guess because it's sorcery speed? Kinda surprising, because I remember it being an auto 4-of in Jund back in the day. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I play 1 in Modern Junk. It's kind of clunky....

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

Well.......the best thing for one's win percentage is a bad opponent, no matter the format.
That was an extreme example (both happened to me in the same match last weekend) but just in general I see a lot of people running black-devotion variants with Pack Rat who've netnecked the list but play the rat really badly. The main thing is that a lot of less experienced players are extremely reluctant to pitch anything but an extra land to the rat. Throw away my Descration Demon? But it's huge and powerful!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mcmagic posted:

I play 1 in Modern Junk. It's kind of clunky....

I play 3 in Jund Scapeshift. Abrupt Decay handles most of the short-game stuff, which for most decks is all that needs to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

I play 3 in Jund Scapeshift. Abrupt Decay handles most of the short-game stuff, which for most decks is all that needs to happen.

It kills Ajani Jengeant and Batterskull which is good but I can't think of that many other relevant permanents in Modern that decay can't hit and Pulse can.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mcmagic posted:

It kills Ajani Jengeant and Batterskull which is good but I can't think of that many other relevant permanents in Modern that decay can't hit and Pulse can.

I have needed to kill at least one Phyrexian Hydra (:shepicide:) and also it's good for blowing off Leyline of Sanctity before going for the Scapeshift.

Mainly I need to play a fairly long game to get my combo online and I can only run four Abrupt Decay.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What's that proxy site that lets you do 5 decks at once?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I drafted pack rat once in RTR draft and promptly lost round 1 to Desecrator Demon.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Is anyone here going to PAX Prime this weekend?

I'd like to buy the Pop Vinyl and get the pin, but I'm very much not going. We can talk about prices and whatnot through PM or whatever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was Voidmage Prodigy the only timeshifted card with alternate art?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That was art from a rewards card so it wasn't new really. It was alternate!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Snacksmaniac posted:

That was art from a rewards card so it wasn't new really. It was alternate!

If any place, the Gatherer should include all printings of a card. (magiccards does)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm still not entirely sure why Kai was fat or something in the original art.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

If any place, the Gatherer should include all printings of a card. (magiccards does)

Gatherer does, under the sets tab.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just looked at every time shifted card since you posted that. It is a weird corner case as a reprint.

Also I was reminded of a few reprints. Time to brew some awful decks.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Lunsku posted:

nah, they're often missing promos and other random stuff like that

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Elyv posted:

Probably because he was fat in real life? I'm pretty sure that's why the reprint used alt art.

Lunsku posted:

No, it doesn't include most promos, because Wizards. Note that you can't find the alt-art DotP Grave Titan on there, for example.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand, in the lore, when you summon a creature you are not actually sucking that critter off it's home plane and enslaving it; you are conjuring a representation of that creature/person from the aether. How does the lore work for planeswaker cards? The 'loyalty' system makes me think you are literally calling in a favor or your plans temporarily align until that planeswalker has drawn too much heat and has to leave or decides you aren't worth working with/for.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kzin602 posted:

From what I understand, in the lore, when you summon a creature you are not actually sucking that critter off it's home plane and enslaving it; you are conjuring a representation of that creature/person from the aether. How does the lore work for planeswaker cards? The 'loyalty' system makes me think you are literally calling in a favor or your plans temporarily align until that planeswalker has drawn too much heat and has to leave or decides you aren't worth working with/for.

Yeah, you're just calling in a favor. Doing things that they like makes loyalty go up, doing things that are annoying make loyalty go down. Getting punched one too many times just makes them get the gently caress out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

I never saw him actually being fat, just wearing a dumb cowcatcher or something around his waist.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

kzin602 posted:

Hello mark rosewater

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

InterrupterJones posted:

Pack Rat is a thing now in U/B Faeries. I don't really know why, either. It seems like it has no real synergy with Fae, which is mostly a draw-go control deck since discarding a bunch of cards there seems bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Pack Rat is a thing now in U/B Faeries. I don't really know why, either. It seems like it has no real synergy with Fae, which is mostly a draw-go control deck since discarding a bunch of cards there seems bad.

I was wanting to know more about this but it seems the article in question is premium article at SCG. Who the hell pays for that?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

Draw-go needs instant-speed mana outlets to make all that EoT noise make sense, and I think Faeries is much more tempo-oriented anyway - not looking to outlast, just to keep them off-balance long enough to get the DPS in.

Also Mutavault is a Faerie Rat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LordSaturn posted:

Draw-go needs instant-speed mana outlets to make all that EoT noise make sense, and I think Faeries is much more tempo-oriented anyway - not looking to outlast, just to keep them off-balance long enough to get the DPS in.

Also Mutavault is a Faerie Rat!

It just feels like the Faeries are superfluous in the deck. But I don't know, I haven't actually run that version.

Faeries is a Tier 2 archetype that has no real agreement on the core cards beyond "Bitterblossom is good." Versions with Liliana, Pack Rat and Time Warp have all posted fairly similar, Tier 2 results.

• Locked thread