Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

my pog boyfriend posted:

Shurelia, the best champion designer League ever had :mad:

That's a funny way of spelling Brackhar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Brackhar, CertainlyT and Shurelia are the top 3 but designing Master Yi takes the cake in my book because Master Yi is perfection incarnate.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fnox posted:

mikael's

I would like to join everyone in saying you have no idea what you're talking about

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
In my mind, Mikaels in only worth it if you actually remember to use the active. This is not a given in bronze and silver. If you don't use Mikaels active regularly, and if you have no intention of doing so (say, if you prefer to try and improve other areas of your play, which in bronze is legit), then by all means, buy Athenes or Morello. You'll have more of an impact that way. But do keep in mind that once you get "good" (high silver and over), then you should buy Mickaels and learn to use it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Noosphere posted:

In my mind, Mikaels in only worth it if you actually remember to use the active. This is not a given in bronze and silver. If you don't use Mikaels active regularly, and if you have no intention of doing so (say, if you prefer to try and improve other areas of your play, which in bronze is legit), then by all means, buy Athenes or Morello. You'll have more of an impact that way. But do keep in mind that once you get "good" (high silver and over), then you should buy Mickaels and learn to use it.

In that case you should buy it while you're bad (low bronze and lower) and learn how to use it there too

fnox
May 19, 2013

Noosphere posted:

Just using it as a heal will at least make some impact. Even if you're not using it as "Dude's stunned, gotta cleanse", it is at least helping somebody if you get into the habit of remembering that you have it.

The best way to get out of Bronze is to break away from Bronze habits and start gaining good ones anyway.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Omnikin posted:

In that case you should buy it while you're bad (low bronze and lower) and learn how to use it there too

If you do that though, be prepared to watch people stand there like a lump for two seconds after you cleanse them because they expect to still be stunned.

I mean, don't let it stop you. Just prepare your brain so it doesn't break you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly most Bronze players are the type to desperately mash their keys while they're stunned.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
That's the ideal time to type a treatise to your team on how bad they are playing and how hard you would be carrying them if only they would stop getting caught.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bond's guide to getting out of bronze:

1. Buy akali

2. Just play 2 bruiser bot kill lane

3. Comedy option: learn how to last hit

If you play a support in bronze if you don't build to carry then you're doing it wrong. Mikaels is a great item for professional players but lets face it your adc throws away thousands of gold during laning phase because he can't last hit, because if he could last hit he wouldn't be in bronze. Buy selfish, secure kills and then ping objectives like mad. Buying support poo poo is worthless if your team can't farm and provide the damage. You'll initiate, die a slow embarrassing death alone, and then wonder why this game is so hard. gently caress that noise

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Mikael's also has twice as much MP5 as Athene's, which is really handy on supports that have abilities worth spamming.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
One easy step on how to get out of bronze
get good

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just do the 6 tear blitzcrank build if you want to spam mana, god. At least then you get a beefy 3000 hp shield once every 2 minutes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I just think everyone seriously undervalues grievous wounds as a status effect, especially against ADCs/Lifesteal bruisers that can and will suddenly heal 300 hp from a couple crits or a Hydra proc.

NTT posted:

Bond's guide to getting out of bronze:

1. Buy akali

2. Just play 2 bruiser bot kill lane

3. Comedy option: learn how to last hit

If you play a support in bronze if you don't build to carry then you're doing it wrong. Mikaels is a great item for professional players but lets face it your adc throws away thousands of gold during laning phase because he can't last hit, because if he could last hit he wouldn't be in bronze. Buy selfish, secure kills and then ping objectives like mad. Buying support poo poo is worthless if your team can't farm and provide the damage. You'll initiate, die a slow embarrassing death alone, and then wonder why this game is so hard. gently caress that noise

Alternatively Talon because with enough skill you can pop in and kill whatever fucker you want and get hugely fed while also having few skills to actually miss. EDIT: You can win hard as any toplane champ by getting so fed you just force three people to come top to even attempt to kill you.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's not grevious wounds that's undervalued, it's the stats attached to EC

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Smettbo posted:

2. Landing this loving stun cage is a lot harder than it looks.

Aim with the edges of the rage cage. Use it both offensively and defensively, because it's your only way to survive ganks and ambushes before you get fed. After you get fed survival is as easy as killing them first.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

NTT posted:

It's not grevious wounds that's undervalued, it's the stats attached to EC

EC is a trash item, I'm talking about Morello's.

On Veigar rage cage don't hesitate at all if you are in range to drop an edge on somebody or get it right in the middle of a teamfight. It's got ultimate-like power as a CC ability on a 20ish second cooldown.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Tonetta posted:

One easy step on how to get out of bronze
get good

Actually, yeah, this. It's easy to get out of bronze. Even as support, everyone is playing so badly and predictably you can just poo poo on everybody if you're good.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

NTT posted:

Mikaels is a great item for professional players but lets face it your adc throws away thousands of gold during laning phase because he can't last hit

Another thing to consider is that solving being CCed once won't treat the underlying problem bronze ADCs have of positioning like complete morons. Yes, you undid that stun! Doesn't stop him from being blown up instantly by Akali or whatever else they have.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

fnox posted:

Actually, yeah, this. It's easy to get out of bronze. Even as support, everyone is playing so badly and predictably you can just poo poo on everybody if you're good.

I am an advocate of spamming Karma support in bronze because she can get so fed in lane with her base damage she turns into a carry-eating carrylord that can 1v1 any dipshit with her mantra W or melt whole teams with Mantra Q or Mantra E.

EDIT: Another conundrum with Mikael's is that in solo queue you don't have the communication that helps the adc know that you have mikael's and will use it on them. Mikael's probably doesn't even work well in solo queue even up in diamond since everyone does their own thing and lacks the communication to properly use Mikael's.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

Omnikin posted:

Haha, let's be realistic here. Bronze players have far more important things to learn. If they can use active items, then more power to them, but berating a bronze player about not getting Mikaels is counterproductive. As a low elo support, it is far more important to learn the basics of vision and objective control.

NTT posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Let me inject some anecdata into this discussion. This season, I climbed from Bronze 2 to Gold 3, playing basically only support, mostly Leona. As I climbed, my builds got less and less selfish : on melee champs, instead of BV and mercs, I now get Locket and mobis. On ranged champs, instead of Athenes and Deathcap, I now get Mickaels and Locket. It's not just improvement in personal skill, but also changes to the way the game is played as you climb that allows for those itemisation changes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Noosphere posted:

Haha, let's be realistic here. Bronze players have far more important things to learn. If they can use active items, then more power to them, but berating a bronze player about not getting Mikaels is counterproductive. As a low elo support, it is far more important to learn the basics of vision and objective control.

Actually, as a low elo support, you've still proven that you don't know what things are important to learn.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 26, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh my god Veigar I love you. This little guy is legit one of the more fun champs to play in the game. His stun cage make people rage so much

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I think we should have a discussion on what the terrible thing in ones' childhood threshold is, in order to accept being a support main at low bronze.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I imagine watching a literal train wreck would suffice being able to tolerate the metaphoricaltrain wreck that is viewing bronze last hitting game in and game out

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
No. 1 indicator of a bronze player is that they have no idea how to hide their intentions. Good players lull you into a false sense of security and confidence so that they get positioning so strong that you will die, summoners be damned. Bronze players have no idea how to work with junglers either. They jump the gun because they see their j4 coming to gank, but either they get aggressive way too early and the enemy just walks out, or they turn way too late and you end up alone. Bronze players also don't think critically about all ins. They telegraph abilities like a mofo and don't really think about dodging skillshots, only landing theirs. This is really the heart of Vayne syndrome. It is entirely up to the vayne player to utilize her kit to dodge as many skillshots as possible. It only takes one ahri charm to end you.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Actually, as a low elo support, you've still proven that you don't know what things are important to learn.

Ok, fair enough. So what are the things that should be learned ? What I say is tinted be what worked for me, so I'm interested in another point of view.

Tonetta posted:

I think we should have a discussion on what the terrible thing in ones' childhood threshold is, in order to accept being a support main at low bronze.

I don't know, really. I just found that role to be the most fun since before level 30, and I stuck with it come hell or bad ADCs. My persistence eventually paid off, I learned the game and climbed out of bronze. I also have little patience for last hitting, so watching someone be terrible at it was less aggravating than being terrible at it myself.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Noosphere posted:

Ok, fair enough. So what are the things that should be learned ? What I say is tinted be what worked for me, so I'm interested in another point of view.

I don't know, really. I just found that role to be the most fun since before level 30, and I stuck with it come hell or bad ADCs. My persistence eventually paid off, I learned the game and climbed out of bronze. I also have little patience for last hitting, so watching someone be terrible at it was less aggravating than being terrible at it myself.

Being a support main in bronze sounds hella fun but only if you pick Zyra/Karma and 1v2 so hard you kill the enemy team by yourself.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can support your way out of bronze easily, don't let them tell you otherwise. In fact it's probably best to just play support on your way up because bronze/silver players hate support so you might get stuck with it a lot.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
If your mentality about last hitting isn't " last hitting is easy and I can last hit under tower 90%" then I hope you never aspire to play higher than a silver level because lol

CSing is literally free Elo up until gold, where everyone can usually last hit pretty well in a vacuum.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How Rude posted:

Being a support main in bronze sounds hella fun but only if you pick Zyra/Karma and 1v2 so hard you kill the enemy team by yourself.

Playing Sona on low elo is the best.

Most people will only see free kills in you, and forget that you can dish out so much damage.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

NTT posted:

If your mentality about last hitting isn't " last hitting is easy and I can last hit under tower 90%" then I hope you never aspire to play higher than a silver level because lol

The entire reason I stopped liking support was watching adcs get 2/6 of the first wave. Like what the hell :psyduck:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lasthitting is a really important skill and can lead to a huge gold difference later on. If you're exceptional at lasthitting then you're also exceptional at knowing when your opponent wants to lasthit and going in to punish him or zone him out from lashitting, or positioning yourself so that they have to burn abilities through creeps to hit you which pushes their wave. Continuing on doing this grows the gold difference between you and your opponent, which eventually becomes an item difference which becomes a three item difference which becomes a victory.

But you don't get to that point unless you can more or less perfectly execute a dozen waves without competition. And it doesn't even take that much practice to get to that point, maybe a hour total in a custom game? There's no excuse really, especially since 95% of frontswings in League are pretty quick except Anivia/Karthus.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

NTT posted:

CSing is literally free Elo up until gold, where everyone can usually last hit pretty well in a vacuum.

I don't think it is so much about CSing as it is controlling and culling minion waves. I play with people of a lot of different skill levels and one things I tend to see in my lower skilled friends is that after laning phase ends, killing minions is not something they even think about. I've seen towers fall to small waves of caster minions. No one is going to CS 100% in every lane they play, but I would rather see someone manage the map better and finish with 300 CS than flawlessly lane and then go look for ambushes and only get 50 CS total after laning phase ends.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

One of the better parts of Morgana and Karma supports are that they can shove minion waves by themselves. I know when I'm playing Leona or Braum I am always pulling my hair out because if lanes are shoving towards you then you're at a disadvantage and it doesn't seem to be a thing that people realize at Gold 5.

You don't even have to farm the whole wave to reset the minions, just cripple the current wave so yours starts pushing before you run over to wherever the teamfight is. Then you'll have minions to take the objectives once you win a teamfight.

Winning a teamfight and getting NOTHING for it because all your lanes are back at your own towers is the worst.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mistaya posted:

One of the better parts of Morgana and Karma supports are that they can shove minion waves by themselves. I know when I'm playing Leona or Braum I am always pulling my hair out because if lanes are shoving towards you then you're at a disadvantage and it doesn't seem to be a thing that people realize at Gold 5.

You don't even have to farm the whole wave to reset the minions, just cripple the current wave so yours starts pushing before you run over to wherever the teamfight is. Then you'll have minions to take the objectives once you win a teamfight.

Winning a teamfight and getting NOTHING for it because all your lanes are back at your own towers is the worst.

Karma has the power to mantra Q the caster minions of one wave and leave, setting up a slow push in what amounts to seconds. It's super useful for lategame.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

chumbler posted:

Brackhar made Nidalee. He's automatically disqualified.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Meat Recital posted:

Brackhar made Nidalee. He's automatically disqualified.

waiting for arfjason

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

wtf new champ already:

http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/en/champion-reveal/azir-emperor-of-the-sands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smettbo
Sep 18, 2008
Aatrasus.

• Locked thread