Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just the idea of Games Journalism is a little funny. Is the guy who writes about next year's Lionel models a Model Train Journalist. Is the guy writing a review of the new mini reese's cups a Snack Journalist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Slanderer posted:

lol that people are mad that giant bomb isn't talking about tabloid drama that involves someone they all personally know

lol that the same people dont realize that this would also be ethically questionable for journalists

just lol

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

blainestereo posted:

wait a minute, zoe quinn is not her real name?

Zoe is after that hipster girl from The New Girl and Quinn is from Harley Quinn cuz those are 2 personalities nerds have huge boners for. Solved that mystery... Next!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

lol when was this

it wasn't on the podcast or front page soooo it probably was never.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Germstore posted:

Just the idea of Games Journalism is a little funny. Is the guy who writes about next year's Lionel models a Model Train Journalist. Is the guy writing a review of the new mini reese's cups a Snack Journalist?

Trains will never be art.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Slanderer posted:

lol when was this

a while ago, some chick from his college days accused him of raping her and it was all over the place, especially places which are going all "oh it wouldn't be ethical to pry into someone's personal life" about the zoe thing (though it isn't about who she hosed at all, they know this to deflect attention away from the real issue of corruption)

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
games journalism is art

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Germstore posted:

We lost a lot of good men when the 5 for 5 became 4 for 5.

wait was this comment about arby's or sleeping with her?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

it wasn't on the podcast or front page soooo it probably was never.

The Brown Menace posted:

a while ago, some chick from his college days accused him of raping her and it was all over the place, especially places which are going all "oh it wouldn't be ethical to pry into someone's personal life" about the zoe thing (though it isn't about who she hosed at all, they know this to deflect attention away from the real issue of corruption)

no, i mean, i'm pretty sure they never actually mentioned this directly. maybe klepek said something on his blog, but he is a goddamn goober.

jeff posted something on the frontpage saying "hey gamers, stop being loving scum, and dont imply that you're part of giant bomb or associated with us at all", which never actually mentioned the situation at all because he's not a goddamn drama queen

fuckin lol

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Slanderer posted:

no, i mean, i'm pretty sure they never actually mentioned this directly. maybe klepek said something on his blog, but he is a goddamn goober.

jeff posted something on the frontpage saying "hey gamers, stop being loving scum, and dont imply that you're part of giant bomb or associated with us at all", which never actually mentioned the situation at all because he's not a goddamn drama queen

fuckin lol

I'm sad that I know this but that message was about giant bomb not hiring a woman

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Good moooorning, thread. I see that there have been many spectacular new developments.
Gaming journalism is saved.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

To be fair, when it's a multi-billion dollar industry it's perfectly fair for the people that cover it to be refereed to as journalists and treated as such.

Now if these fucks could understand that having respect and pay of a journalist also means following some ethical guidelines and actually doing your job as opposed to copying and pasting gaming company press releases, that would be grande.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Rad Tad posted:

I'm sad that I know this but that message was about giant bomb not hiring a woman

welp, guess i'm cucked!!!!!!

zoe quinn applied for that job lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

don't know who bill zoeker is so i searched and this is what came up first.

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
i love to write in my journal about video games

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Not sure if this got mentioned, but Robin Arnott, one of the 5 guys, is Chair of the IndieCade Night Games. Additionally, Depression Quest was one of the games featured at last years Night Games. Oh, and Ann Anthropy won "Game Changer" in that year too.

Slanderer posted:

fuckin lol

Some journalists explicitly said "Why aren't we talking more about this?" I dunno if it was via a published article or a personal blog, but it's still the opposite of how they're reacting about Zoe.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Rad Tad posted:

don't know who bill zoeker is so i searched and this is what came up first.

This is why 'Merica is losing the battle across the globe, they all think we act, think and talk like that guy.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
is there anyone with dignity, or at least someone who isn't retarded, in this at all?

games journalism, indie gaming, zoe quinn, game jam charities. it's all just dumb and sad.

has any human being that does normal person things ever played a game made by ann anthropy?

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
You've changed, guys. It used to be about the video games.

It was our culture built on a foundation of Italian plumbers and blue hedgehogs. We we're a mighty culture of kings and queens. Now you dare to tarnish our glorious reign of gamer culture with your foul accusations of corruption within in our journalism ranks.

Why do you throw rocks at our towering reign over the "normals"? Have you forgotten the war we had to wage with the bitterly vicious high school jocks to get where we are today? I don't, but I know we did because my older guild member told me. You would slander the good name of such majestic and golden developers like the sweet Zoe Quinn.

And for what? To call her out on her sexual affairs? That is her personal business. I don't care if she manipulated the industry by getting involved with gaming journalists. She is a woman and must be treated with respect. And by respect I mean you agree with everything she says and support her video game development. Do you know how hard we had to fight to get girls into our clubhouse?

Whatever, go be mad just because Zoe is a woman. You're probably just an obese, unshaven, slovenly, sexist, racist, teenager. We don't need you poisoning our culture.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to REAL video game journalism where I write about how I saw Link in the grain of wood and how sexist Nintendo is for not giving Princess Peach her own RPG.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
my transvestite indie dev name is gonna be Naomi Shades

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

FrostedButts posted:

You've changed, guys. It used to be about the video games.

It was our culture built on a foundation of Italian plumbers and blue hedgehogs. We we're a mighty culture of kings and queens. Now you dare to tarnish our glorious reign of gamer culture with your foul accusations of corruption within in our journalism ranks.

Why do you throw rocks at our towering reign over the "normals"? Have you forgotten the war we had to wage with the bitterly vicious high school jocks to get where we are today? I don't, but I know we did because my older guild member told me. You would slander the good name of such majestic and golden developers like the sweet Zoe Quinn.

And for what? To call her out on her sexual affairs? That is her personal business. I don't care if she manipulated the industry by getting involved with gaming journalists. She is a woman and must be treated with respect. And by respect I mean you agree with everything she says and support her video game development. Do you know how hard we had to fight to get girls into our clubhouse?

Whatever, go be mad just because Zoe is a woman. You're probably just an obese, unshaven, slovenly, sexist, racist, teenager. We don't need you poisoning our culture.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to REAL video game journalism where I write about how I saw Link in the grain of wood and how sexist Nintendo is for not giving Princess Peach her own RPG.

*nods respectfully towards you*

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Slanderer posted:

welp, guess i'm cucked!!!!!!

zoe quinn applied for that job lol

I wanna see the alt universe giant bomb where we got zoe instead of 'I once only ate cheesedogs microwaved in a old shoe box for an entire summer' dan.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

gently caress the ROW posted:

my transvestite indie dev name is gonna be Naomi Shades

mine is gonna be richard tubox

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Shadoer posted:

To be fair, when it's a multi-billion dollar industry it's perfectly fair for the people that cover it to be refereed to as journalists and treated as such.

Now if these fucks could understand that having respect and pay of a journalist also means following some ethical guidelines and actually doing your job as opposed to copying and pasting gaming company press releases, that would be grande.

It should be like film where there are a few prolific critics of the industry where that's their whole thing, but for the most part it's relegated to having video game columnists on staff at publications that were already reputable in the first place

The fact that video game journalists are an observable extension of the industry itself (and have been for decades) is a loving joke, made funnier by the fact that they are now literally sucking each others dicks in addition to figuratively

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
these are the games made by ann anthropy. she has made more games than people have played them.

quote:

afternoon in the house of secrets
AND THE ROBOT HORSE YOU RODE IN ON
Dys4ia
THE HUNT FOR THE GAY PLANET
Keep Me Occupied
Lesbian Spider Queens of Mars (released through Adult Swim)
REDDER
Octopounce
SEX COPS OF TICKLE CITY
Shootin' Starcade!
Chicanery
This Little Piggy
Calamity Annie
Mind gently caress
When Pigs Fly
Tombed
Mighty Jill Off
Jill Off With One Hand
Encyclopedia Fuckme And The Case Of The Vanishing Entree
Town
In The Woods
Robot Gardening
Police Bear
Pong Vaders (on iTunes)

and here are her books. she writes books on good game design with twine, a web page maker

quote:

A Game Design Vocabulary: Exploring the Foundational Principles Behind Good Game Design

Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists, Dreamers, Drop-outs, Queers, Housewives, and People Like You Are Taking Back an Art Form

can we have a nuclear war yet please?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

p embarrassing to call yourself a writer and misspell autists in the title

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
TFYC guy giving his opinion on fridges

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
just taking a quick jill off gaming break... with my penis - top twitter gamer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrManiac posted:

I wanna see the alt universe giant bomb where we got zoe instead of 'I once only ate cheesedogs microwaved in a old shoe box for an entire summer' dan.

This guy sounds like a party though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Sounds like the TFYC guy wasn't mad because of 4chan harassing MissAngerist after apologizing, but because of SJW harassing her for "betraying her".

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It should be like film where there are a few prolific critics of the industry where that's their whole thing, but for the most part it's relegated to having video game columnists on staff at publications that were already reputable in the first place

The fact that video game journalists are an observable extension of the industry itself (and have been for decades) is a loving joke, made funnier by the fact that they are now literally sucking each others dicks in addition to figuratively

Well that's kind of the weird historical fluke and part of the reason mainstream journalism has been dying a slow death. When Video Games came out and were growing in popularity, none of the mainstream press outlets knew how to cover them. If they'd thought about it, they'd have treated it like movies but they initially treated it as part of their tech sections. It was so bad that the industry had to create things like Nintendo Power because otherwise no one would be covering their games. Time went on and most mainstream media outlets never put in a serious effort into reviewing or covering games, so gaming journalism sort of evolved independent of it. And because of Nintendo Power and that video game websites depended on the industry they are covering for ad money, it became the dick sucking bullshit monster we know today.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

as an adult he heard that egg whites were really healthy for you, so he decided to make some. he cracked a bunch of eggs into the sink, and tossed the shells into a skillet

later he called his mom to ask why the shells werent melting into delicious egg whites

dan ryckert is a national loving treasure

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slanderer posted:

as an adult he heard that egg whites were really healthy for you, so he decided to make some. he cracked a bunch of eggs into the sink, and tossed the shells into a skillet

later he called his mom to ask why the shells werent melting into delicious egg whites

For the record this is literally a thing from a masaokis video. Literally a thing a crazy person did while rambling about Obama.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
my other transvestite indie dev name is Charlize Chunks and i'm a fat positive role model for "young" "women" everywhere

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It's a tough gig writing about video games since nobody wants to pay that much for something so silly with very few requirements.

As the market becomes crowded and money starts to evaporate, these saps are going to have to Cuckmand & Cuckqueor.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Slanderer posted:

How about the time he lied about needing glasses as a kid because he though they were cool. Then he wore them despite hurting his eyes and it hosed up his eyes to the point where he needed surgery.

[e] Also he never ate a salad until he was in his 20's and thinks tacobell is literally the best food.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Shadoer posted:

Well that's kind of the weird historical fluke and part of the reason mainstream journalism has been dying a slow death. When Video Games came out and were growing in popularity, none of the mainstream press outlets knew how to cover them. If they'd thought about it, they'd have treated it like movies but they initially treated it as part of their tech sections. It was so bad that the industry had to create things like Nintendo Power because otherwise no one would be covering their games. Time went on and most mainstream media outlets never put in a serious effort into reviewing or covering games, so gaming journalism sort of evolved independent of it. And because of Nintendo Power and that video game websites depended on the industry they are covering for ad money, it became the dick sucking bullshit monster we know today.

That's why Nintendo is doing stuff like Nintendo Direct or that Treehouse stream during E3 that lasted for days, they're cutting out the middle man. Gaming Journalism keeps making GBS threads on their games, so why should they continue to indulge them?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Literally The Worst posted:

Probably the best addition that Giant Bomb has ever made, though, to be fair, the bar is set pathetically low because they hired Patrick "I am super sensitive and here's a Spelunky Stream" Klepek to their staff and didn't insist he stop working for them when he moved to Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrManiac posted:

How about the time he lied about needing glasses as a kid because he though they were cool. Then he wore them despite hurting his eyes and it hosed up his eyes to the point where he needed surgery.

[e] Also he never ate a salad until he was in his 20's and thinks tacobell is literally the best food.

Please tell more stories about this man.

• Locked thread