Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
it's like for every indie dev that made a half decent game you have a dozen hacks that couldn't make a living selling knit bracelets and second hand pagan jewelery on etsy so they decided to do something worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

Please tell more stories about this man.

he tried to keep a pet gecko by feeding it cheezits for two weeks and was mad the gecko didn't eat any even though he offered it two flavours.

the gecko went to his friend and didn't die fyi

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Rad Tad posted:

he tried to keep a pet gecko by feeding it cheezits for two weeks and was mad the gecko didn't eat any even though he offered it two flavours.

the gecko went to his friend and didn't die fyi

is this a real person because I'm ready to spend like 6 hours looking up more of these anecdotes

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Lobster Harmonica posted:

is this a real person because I'm ready to spend like 6 hours looking up more of these anecdotes

i genuinely wish i could make that stuff up. he did a metric ton of video stuff for gameinformer full of stories like this

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
ahahahah SA getting the real dirty laundry of these journalists

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Dan Rykert believes Terminator 3 is a superior film to Terminator 1.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i zoe quinn am gay

seems like he tells another one every giantbomb podcast too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gorman Thomas posted:

Dan Rykert believes Terminator 3 is a superior film to Terminator 1.

See now I know you're loving with me.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Please tell more stories about this man.

he made fun of Jose Canseco so much on twitter that he angrily wrote the forward for Dan's next book "Air Force Gator 2: Scales of Justice"

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/21948/jose-canseco-writes-fan-foreword-for-free

he made a crowdfunding campaign to make fun of Jose Canseco and get more money then him and his campaign. he succeeded and wrote/compiled a book about Jose Canseco traveling through time and getting into trouble because of his tiny penis

https://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/i-m-better-at-crowdsourcing-than-jose-canseco

http://www.amazon.com/Former-Baseba...rds=dan+ryckert

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
Dan wrote four books, one of which was done solely to troll Jose Canseco. His face was scanned into LA Noire. He moved to California and discovered that while he had kept all his past paperwork including 9th grade report cards, he did not have his car title because he did not know what a car title was or why you would need one.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

it sometimes gets lost in all the other poo poo going on related to this, but daily reminder that /v/, a board which can be trolled into hundreds of angry replies by simply posting a thread which only says "why don't you have a girlfriend?" and is the stomping grounds/backyard of /pol/, a board where consensus is yet to be reached as to whether a woman should be allowed to leave the kitchen without the supervision of an adult male, managed to raise thousands upon thousands of dollars for a feminist charity which was previously bombarded by zoe quinn, a feminist non-developer who suspects the patriarchy when she gets caught at a red light

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
dan won't try mayonnaise, but discovered that he loves aioli. he refuses to believe that aioli is basically just garlic mayo.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Dan might actually have some kind of child-like brain problem, but he always seems to be enjoying himself in the giant bomb quick looks, so good on him tbh.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dan Rykert suddenly became more interesting than the Zoe Quinn journalism conspiracy.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

FrostedButts posted:

It's a tough gig writing about video games since nobody wants to pay that much for something so silly with very few requirements.

As the market becomes crowded and money starts to evaporate, these saps are going to have to Cuckmand & Cuckqueor.

I'm in journalism and video game journalism doesn't exist

I really wish I could explain it better than that but video game news sites are not a real thing at all, they do not exist and it's a fake thing

You cannot network/scour Linkedin and work your way into the industry because there's not one, it's just a gated community of private companies landing contracts with game publishers and treating them as clients

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

So he basically tries to roll with the punches, right?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
woah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9yHvLSWLw

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lol

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I'm in journalism and video game journalism doesn't exist

I really wish I could explain it better than that but video game news sites are not a real thing at all, they do not exist and it's a fake thing

You cannot network/scour Linkedin and work your way into the industry because there's not one, it's just a gated community of private companies landing contracts with game publishers and treating them as clients

Go on.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I hosed Zoe Quinn

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Paladinus posted:

no, he likes rolls with his punches.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

let me have my japantime, mr. nixon

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Oh god this is brilliant!

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Lmao

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lowen SoDium posted:

no, he likes rolls with his punches.

unlike zoe who likes punches in her rolls

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Somebody put some wheels on his fridge and they'll have a vaudeville act going

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i zoe quinn am gay

One of the 5 guys might be a girl so yeah

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

One of the 5 guys might be a girl so yeah

Seven evil exes yes

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

unlike zoe who likes punches in her rolls

:drat:

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

everybody check ur watches because someday someone will ask you where you were when a revolution started

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Who knew receiving free hardware, games and swag from the people you are reporting on; having your income dependent on the advertising budgets of the people you are reporting on; and fratenizing outside of work with the people you are reporting on; would all pose a conflict of interests. Add to that New Media's focus on number of pages views which creates a preoccupation with inflammatory sensationalist articles for clickbait and you have gaming journalism.

What I don't get is why someone hasn't set up a videogame website where its key incentive to readers is avoiding conflict of interest problems with strong ethical guidelines and transparency. There seems to be a large market for it but maybe it's not economically viable.

Maybe this is the future of media thanks to the internet because individual use of it is self-selecting. A person goes to websites and social platforms that cater to his paticular tastes and beliefs, which leads to niche hobby websites and circle jerking opinion echo chamber web forums. Where dissenting opinions don't exist, and hobbies and tastes fall increasingly under the influence of coporate desires thanks to them being niche websites reliant on focused marketing to survive.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

It belonged in a museum

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Rad Tad posted:

everybody check ur watches because someday someone will ask you where you were when a revolution started

Who would steal a Blackberry in 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rad Tad posted:

Who the gently caress still has a blackberry?

e:goddamit

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

lol drat ya'll hate blackberrys like they were selling polytron

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I can't wait when we get to the part where all the indie game devs stand up and yell "I hosed Zoe Quinn" like at the end of Spartacus

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

Who would steal a Blackberry in 2014

Anti-Luddites?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Who the gently caress still has a blackberry?

e:goddamit

well, not that guy

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

thanks to video games, old men can be young women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Simstim posted:

What I don't get is why someone hasn't set up a videogame website where its key incentive to readers is avoiding conflict of interest problems with strong ethical guidelines and transparency. There seems to be a large market for it but maybe it's not economically viable.

A few probably did start like this, but your large market consists of users who are a bit tech savvy, meaning ad block. So how do you pay the bills? Wellllllllllll....

• Locked thread