Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
why are people trying to overcomplicate one of the few totally positive aspects of 5e design. Advantage/Disadvantage is fantastic for a lot of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

treeboy posted:

why are people trying to overcomplicate one of the few totally positive aspects of 5e design. Advantage/Disadvantage is fantastic for a lot of reasons.

He's just trying to stop using a d20

He should probably just not play DnD if that's his goal but I won't deny his pursuit of happiness.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 26, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Fuschia tude posted:

6d6 choose three actually exactly matches the average/expected values of d20 ad/disadvantage. Normal = 10.5; advantage = 15; disadvantage = 6.

d20
d6

Of course, it drastically reshapes the probability curve, but I assume that was your goal in going 3d6 in the first place.

That's equivalent to 4d6 choose 3, which only bumps the expected result down a couple points. See, ad/disadvantage in 5e is HUGE. Such a limited shift would barely be noticed in play. (Changing the number of dice could be interesting, though. 4d6-1, 3d6, 2d6+1...)

If by "exactly matches" you mean "off by about 0.5", you'd be right. The means are as follows, and for fun I tried out 5d6 keep 3 highest/lowest, which provides a slightly tighter range (lower for advantage, higher for disadvantage).

pre:
        d20   6d6   5d6 
Advt  13.82  14.27 13.43   
Norm  10.50  10.50 10.50
Disa   7.17   6.73  7.57
Unfortunately, this is a really bad substitute because of the drastic size difference in standard deviations: 6d6 has a standard deviation of 2.36, 5d6 has 2.60, and 2d20 has a whopping 4.71. So while your 5d6 give you the same average expected value, you're way less likely to roll big (or small) on them. Assuming the game is balanced around these big swings(Ha, like this game is balanced around any math!), this change seems less than ideal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

QuantumNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure if Mike Mearls didn't have a twitter account the game, in its current state, would actually seem better. It's hard to watch the lead designer constantly state how he'd "house-rule it like X" when he wrote the original rules, and it suggests he doesn't really believe in the final product.

I think to me this is the weirdest and most annoying part of Mearls' whole "ask the DM" milquetoast replies, because you figure the guy who spent two to three years making a game would have stronger opinions on how his own pet project is supposed to work. Instead Mearls gives the constant impression of a guy distractedly shrugging and going "iunno, I guess maybe."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Some people on RPG.net have been working on trying to make a more worthy fighter class. One person had this as a brief idea, obviously it would have more options if they finish it up but it looks kind of interesting.

Yakk;18240363 posted:

Talents Known

code:
         0    1    2    3    4    5    6
  1      1
  2      2
  3      3    
  4      2    1
  5      2    2
  6      2    3
  7      2    2    1
  8      2    2    2
  9      2    2    3
 10      2    2    2    1
 11      2    2    2    2
 12      2    2    2    3
 13      2    2    2    2    1
 14      2    2    2    2    2
 15      2    2    2    2    3
 16      2    2    2    2    2    1
 17      2    2    2    2    2    2
 18      2    2    2    2    2    3
 19      2    2    2    2    2    2    1
 20      2    2    2    2    2    2    2
At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
As far as I know, stealth works like this: (ranged)

1. Get to a place where you either cannot be seen (EG: Behind a wall) or are obscured by terrain (EG: In some difficult terrain)

2. Roll stealth, if you succeed you are hidden

3. Shoot someone with advantage, roll sneak attack extra dice if you hit

-----

Or like this: (melee)

1. Spend half your move getting to a place where you either cannot be seen (EG: Behind a wall) or are obscured by terrain (EG: In some difficult terrain)

2. Roll stealth, if you succeed you are hidden

3. Spend the rest of your move approaching an enemy

4. Stab him with advantage, roll sneak attack extra dice if you hit

-----

Didn't seem too hokey to me.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

But then what? What happens AFTER you attack?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Melee I'd argue you're obviously open and visible. Ranged maybe you can hide again next round but with disadvantage. Like suggested

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

But then what? What happens AFTER you attack?

You run away using Cunning Action. Then next turn, you Hide, then Sneak Attack, and then run away using Cunning Action.

Edit: Cunning Action is pretty much poor man's spring attack.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It'd probably be safer to attack out of hiding, move, hide again and perhaps move a bit more and only then end your turn.

I'm actually really happy about the 5e rogue, even if it's not at wizard-levels of control over the game. The hit-and-run/sniper playstyle just plain works for it now without feeling like you're not using the class to its fullest potential.

QuantumNinja posted:

You run away using Cunning Action. Then next turn, you Hide, then Sneak Attack, and then run away using Cunning Action.

Edit: Cunning Action is pretty much poor man's spring attack.

According to the PHB, Hiding is an action on its own, so if you want to hide in the same turn that you attack, you have to Hide using your Cunning Action. You can however move 30 ft. as part of the regular action you spend on your attack. A rogue's turn is probably more likely to look like this: Be hidden at the start of your turn, move into position as part of your attack, spend the rest of the movement after the attack to get back to where you can hide, then spend your bonus action on hiding. The benefit of this is that you spend the time between your turns being hidden as well.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Slashrat posted:

I'm actually really happy about the 5e rogue... The hit-and-run/sniper playstyle just plain works for it now without feeling like you're not using the class to its fullest potential.

I'd probably like it more if I hadn't already seen rogues/that playstyle done better in other games (4e, 13a, some custom DW classes).

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Slashrat posted:

According to the PHB, Hiding is an action on its own, so if you want to hide in the same turn that you attack, you have to Hide using your Cunning Action. You can however move 30 ft. as part of the regular action you spend on your attack. A rogue's turn is probably more likely to look like this: Be hidden at the start of your turn, move into position as part of your attack, spend the rest of the movement after the attack to get back to where you can hide, then spend your bonus action on hiding. The benefit of this is that you spend the time between your turns being hidden as well.

Oh, drat! Everyone gets Spring Attack for free in 5E. That's really awesome. I assumed it was still classic "move then attack, or attack then move, but no attacking partway through". A rogue with a good move speed can easily move-kill-move-hide in both dungeons and large, open areas. With Second-Story Work, the rogue can even ninja up walls to hide away, meaning they're pretty much Batman. For the first time in my life I want to play a rogue in D&D.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

treeboy posted:

Melee I'd argue you're obviously open and visible. Ranged maybe you can hide again next round but with disadvantage. Like suggested

Ranged is what I'm talking about, as it's very obvious in melee. I think being able to hide again immediately at disadvantage after popping out of cover for a pot shot is a good idea and probably how I would rule it - but why isn't there anything about it in the book? Just because you fire a bolt doesn't mean the enemy knows where you are, only the direction it came from. I guess you could also rule in a spot check at this moment to disable the new hide

Edit: I'm at work so don't have my book. Does it actually say, RAW, that attacking breaks stealth? I mean, in the interest of being an rear end in a top hat, can you attack in melee without breaking stealth?

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 26, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sanglorian posted:

I was thinking about switching from using 1d20 to using 3d6, to create a bell curve. What should advantage and disadvantage look like in this scenario? Presumably 4d6(take the highest 3) would be too minor a benefit, but would 6d6(take the highest 3) be too great a benefit?

It depends on why you want to switch to 3d6. I don't mean "a bell curve," but what you're trying to achieve in terms of play experience.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ranged is what I'm talking about, as it's very obvious in melee. I think being able to hide again immediately at disadvantage after popping out of cover for a pot shot is a good idea and probably how I would rule it - but why isn't there anything about it in the book? Just because you fire a bolt doesn't mean the enemy knows where you are, only the direction it came from. I guess you could also rule in a spot check at this moment to disable the new hide

Edit: I'm at work so don't have my book. Does it actually say, RAW, that attacking breaks stealth? I mean, in the interest of being an rear end in a top hat, can you attack in melee without breaking stealth?

The Basic rules (which I assume are identical) say:

D&D Basic Rules, p. 73 posted:

If you are hidden---both unseen and unheard---when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PHB says that when you attack, you reveal yourself and are thus no longer hidden, regardless of whether the attack hits or misses. There is a feat however that, among other things, makes you remain hidden if your attack misses.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Cunning action is an excellent class feature. Rogues are basically permanently Hasted for free, except they can't use the bonus action to attack or cast a cantrip. Unless...

The Thief build gets to Cunning Action to "Use an Item," and some items are used by taking improvised ranged attacks--alchemy flasks, oil, and holy water. Improvised weapons apparently have 20/60 range and deal 1d4 damage even if they resemble no weapon, so maybe a Tavern Brawler Thief could do some decent damage throwing crap at the enemy. Toss an oil pot then attack with something on fire every other round if being hidden offturn wasn't an issue?

Maybe one could take the Healer feat and have a chance to do some backup healing and make sure the party member who keeps getting KO'd (there's always one) from missing their turns without giving up one's own.

They can also wear heavy armor without penalty at level 9 as long as they move at half speed, which is mandatory for most characters who want to search and be stealthy in exploration anyway.

And for all the flack the assassin got for its "impossible to use" lvl 17 feature Death Strike, which can double their damage on a surprised enemy they hit that then fails a save, the Thief's gives them pretty much the same thing with none of the hoops. Two turns on the first round of combat is potentially double damage, just a little slower, and all it requires is the thief isn't surprised (take the Alert feat).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

LuiCypher posted:

I don't think I'd have as much as a problem with 5e if it was the only RPG out there. Problem is, there are so many other RPGs out there that do a lot of things better than 5e that I really don't see much of the point of the system. WotC already poo poo the bed with the OGL and doomed themselves to playing second fiddle to Pathfinder, so there's not a very compelling reason to retread that ground. If people are still playing 2e, after weathering both 3e and 4e they're still going to keep playing 2e at this point. In terms of making a narrative game (which if people are still trying to fool themselves that an RPG based off of a wargame's rules is more narrative in scope than other RPGs, I salute your delusion), I think FATE's a far superior system (let alone the other niche elfgames out there). As a murderhobo dungeoncrawler, 4e has pretty much every other edition of D&D beat.

As I've said before, I think 5e is largely aimed at AD&D fans who transitioned to 3e sorta against their will. There's a reason he tried to play up his OSR credentials for awhile and talk about how much he loooooves AD&D. 3e fans might want a simpler game with a less broken core, sure, but they also want 3e. They've had almost 15 years of 3.x material saved up. And that's not even touching Pathfinder fans who by and large have an incredible brand loyalty. Both at Pathfinder forums and a lot of 3.x forums, not everyone's biting.

This is also why Mearls keeps saying "ASK YOUR DM" because that's exactly what this crowd wants. It's something I see often on ENWorld and the WotC forums - "Finally the DM has authority again!" If all the rules say "ASK YOUR DM" then those filthy peasant "players" can never quote a rule or get all uppity at their proper superiors.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's disingenuous to accuse OSR players of wanting to put their players in their 'place' and I think it's probably not even true in a majority of cases. True, there are a lot of people cheesed off that the DM had his power 'taken away' during the 3.X/4e era but I think a lot of what we see on grogs.txt and poo poo is weirdos and outlyers, people who feel so disempowered (sic) that they take to the internet to proclaim their superiority.

There's a not-insignificant number of people in the 'Ask your DM' camp that just think that style of play is simpler. And I mean, they're right. Leaving it up to the DM to decide what is both fun and sensible is a lot easier then memorizing a bunch of rules. 'Seat of your pants' play just hums along, especially if the DM makes convincing rulings on the fly. I'm not saying it's better because there are a hell of a lot of potholes with that, and anyway without proper DMing advice it's all so much wasted breath, but I think it's important to remember most people who play TTRPGs do it because they think it's just normal, meat-and-potatoes fun and not because they're closeted sadists.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

slydingdoor posted:

Cunning action is an excellent class feature.

Especially when you compare it to the Monk's terrible Step of the Wind. Trade your bonus unarmed strike for a less versatile cunning action AND it costs you ki points for the privilege!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

treeboy posted:

in this example (sneak attack) rogues almost always have it available anyway since it activates if there's an ally within 5' of the target. Stealth would be more about trying to gain advantage for the reroll

Could a pair of fighters dip into rogue to get sneak attack then always make sure to be up on the same target, activating sneak attack off each other every hit?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Could a pair of fighters dip into rogue to get sneak attack then always make sure to be up on the same target, activating sneak attack off each other every hit?

Better yet, a Ranger could do it and make sure their pet is always up on the same target.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

As long as nothing gives them disadvantage on the attack, yep, totally can.

If they're both Battle Masters with Commander's Strike then after level 6 they can each get a Sneak Attack on each other's turn.

5 levels of Fighter and 15 levels of Rogue is a pretty sweet run, all told.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Thanks to people who gave advice on switching to 3d6, particularly Fuschia tude - I'll play around on AnyDice with a few scenarios.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It depends on why you want to switch to 3d6. I don't mean "a bell curve," but what you're trying to achieve in terms of play experience.

Yeah, "bell curve" isn't really a reason, huh? I guess I'd like a character's +2 proficiency bonus to matter more than it currently does, and having the dice produce mid-range results more often seems to do that, without requiring anything else to change.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sanglorian posted:

Yeah, "bell curve" isn't really a reason, huh? I guess I'd like a character's +2 proficiency bonus to matter more than it currently does, and having the dice produce mid-range results more often seems to do that, without requiring anything else to change.

My suggestion: just give people more than +2 for the proficiency bonus. It will prevent you from having to consider the impact of this change on every other element of the die-rolling system.

Moving to 3d6 significantly adjusts what a higher difficulty means, which is a core element of the combat and spellcasting mechanics. It is not worth it in order to make proficiency more meaningful when a simpler solution exists.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 27, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sanglorian posted:

Thanks to people who gave advice on switching to 3d6, particularly Fuschia tude - I'll play around on AnyDice with a few scenarios.

Try giving a number of rerolls per short rest to people proficient in a skill. Maybe equal to the proficiency bonus.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Mendrian posted:

There's a not-insignificant number of people in the 'Ask your DM' camp that just think that style of play is simpler. And I mean, they're right. Leaving it up to the DM to decide what is both fun and sensible is a lot easier then memorizing a bunch of rules. 'Seat of your pants' play just hums along, especially if the DM makes convincing rulings on the fly. I'm not saying it's better because there are a hell of a lot of potholes with that, and anyway without proper DMing advice it's all so much wasted breath, but I think it's important to remember most people who play TTRPGs do it because they think it's just normal, meat-and-potatoes fun and not because they're closeted sadists.
But none of this is true. It's not simpler, or more fun.
It's not simpler, because everyone now has to memorize precedent table by table, leading to huge lists of house rules (which are already a problem either way)
It's not more fun, because it results in arguments, uncertainty, disengagement and so on- apart of course from the always-anecdotal grogtable where none of these things happen.
And what's worse, each of these things feed into the other- if you don't establish rulings, then the GMs variable whim IS going to result in more arguments, ect, and hence less fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Also forget about multiple DM campaigns. Especially regarding monstrous races or anything of equal importance to your character.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Mendrian posted:

I think it's disingenuous to accuse OSR players of wanting to put their players in their 'place' and I think it's probably not even true in a majority of cases. True, there are a lot of people cheesed off that the DM had his power 'taken away' during the 3.X/4e era but I think a lot of what we see on grogs.txt and poo poo is weirdos and outlyers, people who feel so disempowered (sic) that they take to the internet to proclaim their superiority.

'Ask your DM' has never been an option that has been off the table in any edition of D&D ever. In any way.

Coherent rules that clearly explain how the game is supposed to work and provide a balanced baseline without needing to get the DM involved is purely a benefit. Purely. Most especially for the DM who doesn't have to think about things that they don't consider important enough to their game for them to have an opinion on. Like rules. If people haven't learned a particular rule yet, then the DM just does it seat of the pants like always.

It isn't simpler to have ill-defined hand-wavy rules that the player's can't understand without relying on the DM to adjudicate everything, because that means the DM has to adjudicate everything instead of simply telling a story and letting the system rules just run silently in the background. If the story and the system rules conflict in a scene, the DM just says: "well, normally its like this, but in this scene it is like how I want it because I want the story to do X", and everyone is OK with that because they've all seen at least one movie.

The accusations of neckbeardy behavior largely stems from there being no leg to stand on for people railing against a coherent and well balanced rule system that provides clear rules for almost every situation that don't require DM adjudication: Because you can still ask the DM. Which makes people strongly suspect ulterior motives, and look for the sorts of behavior that ill defined rules benefit.

The king nerd DM who demands to be bribed with pizzas and adulation else they may rule capriciously to amuse themselves with their ability to lay players low is the exact sort of setup that is mortally damaged by clear and balanced rules. Clear and balanced rules beg questions about why the DM needed to go off the rails. If there isn't a clear story reason, then the jig is up for the king nerd. When it is non stop fiat rulings because fiat rulings are required to make the game work, then they've got some plausible plausible deniability.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mendrian posted:

The problem is this - 'Ask your DM' happens in just about every game ever. It happens when you need arbitration on a poorly thought-out or badly implemented rule.

With this in mind, it sounds like when they keep saying 'Ask the DM' that they deliberately made a poorly-designed set of rules so that you'd have to ask a DM, then turned around and advertised it as a feature.

:psyboom:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Re: cool martial stuff.

How about a last stand type ability? You get huge buffs (set strength to 30, gain advantage on every attack, maybe have really high spell resistance) but are guaranteed to die at the end?

Although, perhaps it would be better as a rule and not a class ability.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Re: cool martial stuff.

How about a last stand type ability? You get huge buffs (set strength to 30, gain advantage on every attack, maybe have really high spell resistance) but are guaranteed to die at the end?

Although, perhaps it would be better as a rule and not a class ability.

Once per campaign, make a Famous Last Stand (otherwise known as "Hold the bridge!" or "I'll stop them, you get out the back" or "you shall not pass").

Immediately, the following occurs.

- Enemies cannot move you - you cannot be pushed, pulled, dragged, knocked prone, etc unless you choose to be.
- You automatically succeed on all saves.
- You gain <Max HP> temporary hit points.
- You can make an attaack against every enemy as they move into your reach.
- You make an attack with advantage which automatically crits on a hit against every enemy who moves out of your reach. If these enemies survive, they must flee like the bitches they are.
- When you run out of hitpoints, you get to fight for one more round.
- When you run out of enemies (or HP then your extra round) you are stone dead forever (of exhaustion if not wounds), no chance of resurrection or revival, but 3d12 statues of you are built throughout the kingdom and songs are sung of your famous last stand for 4d100 years.
- Something else cool happens, which means you go down in legend. DM will have to wing it, but it should be a legendary thing like "Afterwards, they were scared to fight him for 3 days and 3 nights, because -unmoving and undeterred- he still held the bridge! When someone finally got the courage to approach his still-standing body, they found that the spears and arrows that had pierced him held him upright, as if he was still daring them to come and fight".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 27, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mendrian posted:

"Ask your DM" was always an option.

No small number of 5e fans don't want it to be an "option." They want it to be mandated.

I mean think about it. Both Mearls and players have been touting "Finally a game that EMPOWERS the DM." The DM has literally always had all the power in the game. The only difference is now players don't have any rules they can look at at understand. This isn't "you can ask your DM," it's "you MUST ask your DM."

This is only "empowering" if you think the DM has to actually be the most and only important person in the game who decides everything. So every time someone says "Ok but it EMPOWERS the DM!" they're saying "I need my players to obey me."

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Ask your DM" was always an option.

No small number of 5e fans don't want it to be an "option." They want it to be mandated.

I mean think about it. Both Mearls and players have been touting "Finally a game that EMPOWERS the DM." The DM has literally always had all the power in the game. The only difference is now players don't have any rules they can look at at understand. This isn't "you can ask your DM," it's "you MUST ask your DM."

This is only "empowering" if you think the DM has to actually be the most and only important person in the game who decides everything. So every time someone says "Ok but it EMPOWERS the DM!" they're saying "I need my players to obey me."

You might be giving WotC a little too much credit for that design choice. I'm not saying it isn't malicious and stupid, but I would bet on it being because they are malicious, stupid and lazy.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Once per campaign, make a Famous Last Stand (otherwise known as "Hold the bridge!" or "I'll stop them, you get out the back" or "you shall not pass").

Immediately, the following occurs.

- Enemies cannot move you - you cannot be pushed, pulled, dragged, knocked prone, etc unless you choose to be.
- You automatically succeed on all saves.
- You gain <Max HP> temporary hit points.
- You can make an attaack against every enemy as they move into your reach.
- You make an attack with advantage which automatically crits on a hit against every enemy who moves out of your reach. If these enemies survive, they must flee like the bitches they are.
- When you run out of hitpoints, you get to fight for one more round.
- When you run out of enemies (or HP then your extra round) you are stone dead forever (of exhaustion if not wounds), no chance of resurrection or revival, but 3d12 statues of you are built throughout the kingdom and songs are sung of your famous last stand for 4d100 years.
- Something else cool happens, which means you go down in legend. DM will have to wing it, but it should be a legendary thing like "Afterwards, they were scared to fight him for 3 days and 3 nights, because -unmoving and undeterred- he still held the bridge! When someone finally got the courage to approach his still-standing body, they found that the spears and arrows that had pierced him held him upright, as if he was still daring them to come and fight".

I think once per campaign should probably be more like once per week.

I have more to say about fighters, but before I do:

Yeah, sure, the 5e art is good, but I'm looking through the Hoard of the Dragon Queen book right now and... well, it could be better. It's actually pretty disappointing when almost every MTG card to come out in the past few years has such amazing art.

Anyway, back to the fighter: I have two ideas for redesigning the class (and other martial classes) that I think would be very interesting.

One: instead of having an archetype based around having "superiority dice", just give fighters a flat dice pool that they can use - similar to a spell pool. They get so many per long rest, and can add them to any roll that uses strength or con. Then, at certain levels in increments, they get access to abilities that utilize them in interesting ways. Abilities that mimic something a hero would be able to do. Some examples would be:

Levels 1-4: Warlord; Short Rest; When rolling your initiative, you may also expend and roll a power die and add your dexterity modifier. The result counts as a second initiative step for you until you are forced to re-roll initiative or the encounter ends. (makes fighters really good at low levels and also keeps them relevant as players level by giving them an action advantage)

Levels 5-9: Skewer; Short Rest; When making a charge attack, you do not have to stop at the first enemy you hit. Any enemy you move through while charging is pushed to the end of your charge. Expend and roll as many power dice as you wish. You deal this much damage to each enemy hit in this way. (a level 5+ fighter doesn't need to FIGHT goblins; he just kills them)

Levels 10-14: Beowulf's Strength; Long Rest; When you successfully hit an enemy humanoid or monstrous humanoid with an attack, declare that you are using this power and expend and roll as many power dice as you wish and add the result to the damage. If you deal more than a quarter of the enemy's health in damage with this attack, you may choose a limb of theirs and dismember it. You may not make any further attack actions this round.

Level 15-20; Fissure; Long Rest(? maybe weekly); Instead of attacking, you may choose to slam the ground with such strength that you create a fissure that leads to an alternate dimension. Expend and roll a power dice and multiply the result by 5. The fissure is that many feet long and five feet wide. Any medium size creature caught in the fissure must make a dexterity save (DC 8 + Proficiency + 1/2 Fighter Level) or fall in. Any medium size creature that wishes to cross the fissure must also make a dexterity save to avoid being pulled in. On a successful save, the fissure deals 4d6 chaos damage. The fissure is permanent. Consult the (nonexistent) chart to see which dimension the fissure leads to. (hey! the fighter gets a save-or-die spell for medium creatures and also battlefield control! oh and he can also, of course, push the enemy in or throw them in or whatever after the fissure is created. since it doesn't actually kill the creature sucked in, an unsuccessful save serves as fight avoidance against high cr monsters/BBEGs. this ability is possibly broken but so are wizards, so)

Level 15-20; Kingdom; Permanent; You now own land and a castle with Level x Charisma Mod (min. 1) CR 6 Knights, and Level x Proficiency CR 2 Soldiers, and 500 Residents. Where this is located and how you acquire it is up to... you AND the DM. At the beginning of each month, you may roll all of your power dice and multiply the result by (a anumber) and gain that much gold. Power dice rolled in this way do not count as spent.

All are just fun ideas/examples that could really use rewrites, but you get the idea.

The second idea is a set of Weapon Skills that function really closely to 4e Powers. Basically, depending on what weapon the fighter is wielding, they get special attacks they can use in place of basic attacks. Things like Crushing Blow (Mace; Short Rest): On a successful attack, deal normal damage and also 1d4 Con damage. Rogues might get something like: Deadly Daggers (Daggers; At-Will): On a successful sneak attack, deal +2d6 sneak attack damage.

Do you think this is a good direction to take martial classes in? Rogues would get things like Thought Steal, Barbarians would get things like Summon World Wolf (summons a huge wolf to fight alongside you for the remainder of the encounter), etc..

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 27, 2014

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Something that irked me from the Grendel arm-rip discussion some pages ago is the idea of HP as an abstract concept closer to 'Stamina' than 'Health'.

If you assume that only the final blow is fatal, and that Grendel and Beowulf fought all night before the arm rip... does D&D not model this perfectly?

You punched him until his HP reached 0 (HP being his Stamina) and then the DM allows you to describe how you finish him. If an arm rip is the method the player chooses.. it doesn't upset anything.. no monster lives below 0 health unless they're a recurring villain.

If it's a recurring villain - he's coming back to take your arm next time as vengeance for taking his.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
5e is the D&D that D&D fans deserve.

(That was not an endorsement.)

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Solid Jake posted:

5e is the D&D that D&D fans deserve.

(That was not an endorsement.)

I wonder how many people in this thread are just waiting for 5.5. They did it with 3e and 4e (the Essentials).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I think once per campaign should probably be more like once per week.

It's a last stand. You can only do it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

It's a last stand. You can only do it once.

Maybe you should make them way better then!