Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I used an xbox 360 gamepad to play Descent, and it worked perfectly fine. Left trigger and bumper fired and cycled missiles, right trigger and bumper fired and cycled guns, left stick controlled pitch and yaw, right stick controlled lateral (i.e. forward, backward, and side) velocity, and the dpad did vertical velocity and rolling. Face buttons did whatever was rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I was thinking about using my Dualshock, with the triggers being forward and rear trust, left stick pitch and yaw, right stick 8dof strafing, l1/r1 missile and lasers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, for the one other Marathon player in this thread, Aleph One updated somewhat recently to actually support the real Marathon 1. Now you can relive your childhood of giant huds and the original physics.

I think I'll stick with M1A1 and the easier version of Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap :v:

RyokoTK posted:

Good mouse aiming will pretty much require an engine rewrite, so far as I understand. If for no other reason than, right now you can only rotate in increments of something like 0.709 degrees, so whenever you try to aim precisely there's some really irritating ratcheting going on.

An engine rewrite (covering the main event loop, input handling, and player physics at minimum) and forking the project, since the devs are explicitly hostile to having non-poo poo mouse controls.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

I used an xbox 360 gamepad to play Descent, and it worked perfectly fine. Left trigger and bumper fired and cycled missiles, right trigger and bumper fired and cycled guns, left stick controlled pitch and yaw, right stick controlled lateral (i.e. forward, backward, and side) velocity, and the dpad did vertical velocity and rolling. Face buttons did whatever was rest.

Yeah Pad works just fine for Descent 1, but the problem is when you get to Descent 2 and you've suddenly got 10 9 primaries and 10 secondaries to worry about (also not counting 2 kinds of bombs of course). D-Pad cycling becomes a huge pain in the rear end. I was trying to find drivers for one of those keyboard attachments for the 360 but there didn't seem to be any.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

An engine rewrite (covering the main event loop, input handling, and player physics at minimum) and forking the project, since the devs are explicitly hostile to having non-poo poo mouse controls.

You can say that again:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Talking about not being stuck in 1995 mode, Smooth Doom has updated yet again yesterday. More variant Imp sprites, some new effects, etc. It's a really nice little graphical upgrade now, and still has zero effect on gameplay.

I run it alongside Perkristian's sound mod, and a slightly tweaked Statusbar Reloaded. Perfect for any levels that don't make gameplay changes of their own.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The perfect amount of douche.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cobweb Heart posted:

The perfect amount of douche.

If only he used bleach to douche.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

Talking about not being stuck in 1995 mode, Smooth Doom has updated yet again yesterday. More variant Imp sprites, some new effects, etc. It's a really nice little graphical upgrade now, and still has zero effect on gameplay.

I run it alongside Perkristian's sound mod, and a slightly tweaked Statusbar Reloaded. Perfect for any levels that don't make gameplay changes of their own.

These mod authors really need to get more experienced people to make their showcase videos...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

These mod authors really need to get more experienced people to make their showcase videos...

Yeah, it's overcompressed, weirdly red-looking and outdated to boot. There's been about a dozen versions of the mod since then.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that thinks that Blood had reached FPS weapon perfection?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ColoradoCleric posted:

You mean dynamite throwing perfection?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

You mean dynamite throwing perfection?

There isn't a gun in that game that sucks.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DoomRPG is so fun in the mid-game but man, you quickly become an unstoppable beast and it loses its charm. Balancing that stuff is very difficult and the options are there to allow you to mess with it though. Right now Luck is absurdly overpowered, especially since it multiplies with the yellow aura. If you run that all the time during giant mob battles and continually pump Luck, it gets absurd with the fact that enemies can drop stat points so your power basically scales exponentially. I'm running around as a renegade with a Nano Super Shotgun and all augmentations upgraded and turned on and it's basically a shotgun machine gun shooting a wall of pellets in every direction forever. I think the only thing that comes close to surviving more than a second is the cyberdemon. My only foe is the lag from all the loot the enemies keep making GBS threads out :(

Edit: I'd probably advise to stay away from the arena in the UAC base is it levels you up way too fast.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Here's a weird mystery.

Here's the Lost Soul as it appeared in Doom v1.0:

Here's the Lost Soul as it appeared in Doom v1.666 / Doom 2 v1.666 / all subsequent PC Doom 1/2 versions:

In case it's not obvious, here they are side by side:

So the Lost Soul sprite was changed slightly, to give it more of a, uh, unibrow ridge, smaller nose hole, and more movement / lighting variation.

OK, now here's Playstation Doom, released in fall 1995, which included Doom 2 maps and monsters:

And here's SNES Doom, also released in fall 1995, which was only a port of Doom 1:

So how did the SNES Doom 1 port get the newer Doom 2 version of the Lost Soul, and the Playstation Doom 2 port get the older Doom 1 version of the Lost Soul?? :wtf:

Linguica fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

DoomRPG is so fun in the mid-game but man, you quickly become an unstoppable beast and it loses its charm. Balancing that stuff is very difficult and the options are there to allow you to mess with it though. Right now Luck is absurdly overpowered, especially since it multiplies with the yellow aura. If you run that all the time during giant mob battles and continually pump Luck, it gets absurd with the fact that enemies can drop stat points so your power basically scales exponentially. I'm running around as a renegade with a Nano Super Shotgun and all augmentations upgraded and turned on and it's basically a shotgun machine gun shooting a wall of pellets in every direction forever. I think the only thing that comes close to surviving more than a second is the cyberdemon. My only foe is the lag from all the loot the enemies keep making GBS threads out :(

Edit: I'd probably advise to stay away from the arena in the UAC base is it levels you up way too fast.

The only thing I upgrade in DoomRPG is carry capacity. You still get a slight damage boost every level, but it doesn't become the situation where you are killing nightmare cyberdemons in 6 shots with a revolver as the scout. Also not using augments because they are ridiculously over powered.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Linguica posted:

Here's a weird mystery.

Here's the Lost Soul as it appeared in Doom v1.0:

Here's the Lost Soul as it appeared in Doom v1.666 / Doom 2 v1.666 / all subsequent PC Doom 1/2 versions:

In case it's not obvious, here they are side by side:

So the Lost Soul sprite was changed slightly, to give it more of a, uh, unibrow ridge, smaller nose hole, and more movement / lighting variation.

OK, now here's Playstation Doom, released in fall 1995, which included Doom 2 maps and monsters:

And here's SNES Doom, also released in fall 1995, which was only a port of Doom 1:

So how did the SNES Doom 1 port get the newer Doom 2 version of the Lost Soul, and the Playstation Doom 2 port get the older Doom 1 version of the Lost Soul?? :wtf:

I'm guessing it's because different studios worked on those ports and they probably just got a folder full of assets, the SNES guys chose the newer graphics and the playstation guys chose the older ones.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's exactly what happened. The SNES version was done from the ground up by Sculpted Software, while the PSX version was a port of the Jaguar version by Williams. The Jaguar version was also strictly a Doom 1 port, the Doom 2 maps were added specifically for the PSX version. The SNES version is unique in that it's the only console port that's not just a report of the Jaguar version, it also uses maps that are closer to the original PC maps.

Of note, this makes the SNES version the only version of Doom without any of Carmack's work, since he programmed most of the Jaguar source (and made it open source with the rest of the Doom source.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, the Jaguar port probably used a big folder of materials provided by Id while the SNES port probably just used a WAD editor to rip the v1.666 data.

In other news, here's a pic of a few old friends catching up, except one of them's in a tux for some reason:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of SNES Doom, didn't it have new secret maps (two per episode instead of one)? I remember a "right hand" version of Slough of Despair in Nintendo Power, for example. One if my buddies growing up owned it but I never did play it because I had the DOS version anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of SNES Doom, didn't it have new secret maps (two per episode instead of one)? I remember a "right hand" version of Slough of Despair in Nintendo Power, for example. One if my buddies growing up owned it but I never did play it because I had the DOS version anyway.
No. E1M6, E2M2, E2M5, E2M7 and E3M5 are all missing from the SNES version. Slough of Despair is close to identical to the PC version.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ColoradoCleric posted:

No I'm right there with you. All of the weapons loving own.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the Jaguar port probably used a big folder of materials provided by Id while the SNES port probably just used a WAD editor to rip the v1.666 data.

In other news, here's a pic of a few old friends catching up, except one of them's in a tux for some reason:

This is what I initially saw in that pic, and it creeped me out:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

No. E1M6, E2M2, E2M5, E2M7 and E3M5 are all missing from the SNES version. Slough of Despair is close to identical to the PC version.

I'm not asking if it had more maps. I'm asking if it had new maps. Info I find online seems to indicate that it doesn't, but I'm almost positive I remember there was a secret map in Episode 3 that was a mirrored Slough of Despair in an issue of Nintendo Power.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not asking if it had more maps. I'm asking if it had new maps. Info I find online seems to indicate that it doesn't, but I'm almost positive I remember there was a secret map in Episode 3 that was a mirrored Slough of Despair in an issue of Nintendo Power.
don't think so: http://classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm#08

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
I tried running DoomRPG last night and ran into a weird issue. Keys don't work. I pick them up, see the key icon appear in the bottom right of my screen, but if I try to open a colored door it tells me I need the key. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

TKImpulse posted:

I tried running DoomRPG last night and ran into a weird issue. Keys don't work. I pick them up, see the key icon appear in the bottom right of my screen, but if I try to open a colored door it tells me I need the key. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

You have to use the latest beta version of GZDoom.

Also in case you try it later, I found out DoomRPG requires the DoomRL monsters pack if you want full compatability with DoomRL.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

You have to use the latest beta version of GZDoom.

Also in case you try it later, I found out DoomRPG requires the DoomRL monsters pack if you want full compatability with DoomRL.

That fixed it, forgot I had downloaded an earlier version trying to fix a different problem. Thanks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the topic of Blood since Cleric and Yod mentioned it yesterday: Cubeface21 on Twitch has been speedrunning (and practicing routes for) it, Shadow Warrior Classic and some other retro FPS stuff lately. Worth a watch!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've noticed that there's some activity for Shadow Warrior Classic lately. Besides the speedrunning thing mentioned earlier, some guys over at Duke4 have been messing with the editor, including making a lawnmower, and there have been some murmurs about a special version of EDuke32 being made that supports SW, with the intention to eventually merge it into the main Eduke32 codebase. 3DR's mismanagement murdered SW's custom content community in the crib because of how late it was released, so I'm hoping this leads to more mappers playing with SW.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sounds like those rumored Quake Live changes (simplified bunny-hopping, loadouts) were entirely true.

I don't play Quake Live, but I've gathered that these aren't even remotely popular changes. The loadout one especially sounds suspect to me.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh my god :psyduck:

why can't they just leave it alone? This won't bring in new players, it'll kill off all the existing ones!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
RIP in peace, Quake Live.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I guess all of id's talent did abandon. How am I supposed to trust this studio to make Doom 4 when they gently caress up a game that's been fine for 15 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

Sounds like those rumored Quake Live changes (simplified bunny-hopping, loadouts) were entirely true.

I don't play Quake Live, but I've gathered that these aren't even remotely popular changes. The loadout one especially sounds suspect to me.

:stonk: Holy poo poo what the gently caress were they thinking.

Two weapon limit in QUAKE?

I guess they're just not making much money of it anymore and so they're desperate to appeal to the call of duty crowd or something. But.. ugh. This is just gonna piss off what few gamers were playing it, while not really attracting anybody new. You think somebody's gonna stop playing Battlefield 4 for Quake Live just because you added a weapon limit? ... The gently caress?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Automatic bunny hop could be a cool feature for a new game or mod, say, as an upgraded sprint for a specific class that gets you past environmental hazards at the cost of rendering you nigh-uncontrollably fast. Not for Q3A, though! There's a natural order to things that you probably shouldn't meddle in unless you're really good.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How do you screw up something as simple as Quake 3 Arena? :psyduck:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Because a two-weapon limit is what people actually like about Call of Duty. Makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's not a two weapon limit. You spawn with your choice of two weapons which is horrendous for a whole other set of reasons.