Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

ulmont posted:

I had one plot that got revealed every month on the month for several years running, so my dishonorable modifiers were like -240.

Yeah, the issue for me isn't the dishonorable trait, it's when it stacks because apparently half my courtiers spend way too much time getting plastered in bars, running their mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Has anyone ever reached 1150 with no holy orders being formed, and no crusades being called?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xergm posted:

Yeah, the issue for me isn't the dishonorable trait, it's when it stacks because apparently half my courtiers spend way too much time getting plastered in bars, running their mouths.

I can't check right now, but if your plot is revealed don't the people participating in it also get the Dishonourable malus?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rumda posted:

Eh the heir only hates you if you get caught in the act not if the plot is revealed. You can have drunken idiots in every tavern in Europe slurring that your plotting a kill some dude but if the hit goes off without a hitch your fine.

Really? Another mechanic of this game I never knew about then.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What really annoys me is that you can only raise crown authority by having your vassals vote on it, but then afterwards all your vassals have a huge relations penalty because you raised crown authority.

YOU SHITHEADS VOTED FOR IT GODDAMMIT HOW THE gently caress IS THIS MY FAULT

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Is there an issue with the customisation DLC? I no longer seem to be able to edit my title, which is annoying because Frisia is a lovely name.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Cultural spread can be very very fast or very slow, depending. Firstly, it won't happen at all unless the guy who directly holds the county is of the new culture, and the same culture as, not only their direct overlord, but ever overlord up the chain. Franks in Africa will have come about through a holy war or crusade, which would have completely replaced the power structure in the region. In India, they have to do it the old fashioned way, which means there's a goods chance that the Bengalis just inserted themselves at the top of what was already there.

Secondly, cultural conversion is a per-character event instead of a per-province event, for some reason, so four counts holding one county apiece will covert faster than one count holding four counties. I'm not sure that applies in this instance, but if you're ever trying to engineer an ethnic cleansing, remember to divvy up the land one county at a time.

I've played a bit more - in my case, I'd moved the Indian Empire capital to Baghdad. County is directly owned by a Bengali, along with all the other counties around it. Zero cultural conversion for the past hundred+ years. I've also been diligent in making sure as many counts as possible are Bengali, as well as their dukes, and I haven't seen any culture change.

Can someone check to see if there's some configuration that prevents Indian cultures from converting provinces? I'm getting tired of the 5700th Slavic Uprising.

ninjahedgehog posted:

What really annoys me is that you can only raise crown authority by having your vassals vote on it, but then afterwards all your vassals have a huge relations penalty because you raised crown authority.

This is especially entertaining when you raised CA to change succession laws, and now you can't because people hate you for changing CA which they voted for. :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I installed Lux Invicta. Declared war on my neighbor, my other neighbor declares war on me and the game crashes as the day ticks over. Reloaded game, two duchies declare war on me and the game crashes a few days later. Is it normally unstable?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2014

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ninjahedgehog posted:

I hate this about elective monarchy succession sometimes. All my vassals vote in a guy, then immediately start plotting to put someone else on the throne. Come on guys, you voted him in!
Not sure I'd want to change it, though. Elective is already too good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Has anyone ever reached 1150 with no holy orders being formed, and no crusades being called?

Byzantium nabbed Jerusalem up really quickly in one game I played, so crusades weren't even unlocked until like, 1250. Then, the Pope decided to just never call a crusade. I think a couple none-Catholic holy orders, like the Jomsvikings, formed that game though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

I hate this about elective monarchy succession sometimes. All my vassals vote in a guy, then immediately start plotting to put someone else on the throne. Come on guys, you voted him in!
Not sure I'd want to change it, though. Elective is already too good.

Yeah, Elective is absurdly good, especially once you start doing some selective breeding and you can get literally anyone with the same last name as you as your heir. The +20(!) vassals relations bonus pretty much ensures you'll always get the guy you wanted, every time, and the icing on the cake is that under elective, agnatic-cognatic is just as good at absolute cognatic so you don't have to mess around with Cathar/Basque crap to get your gender equality on.

I actually prefer Primogeniture just because it's more interesting.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Brown Moses posted:

I had a recent game (867 start) where the ERE blobbed up and quickly conquered all their de jure territory, plus Syria and Jerusalem. Because Jerusalem was in Christian hands, the Pope didn't have a reason to call a crusade until the late 13th century, when the reformed-Tengri Karling king of Bavaria conquered Koln. The holy orders formed when the first crusade was called.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I like to imagine that the CA proposal was full of inscrutable legalese and the nobles basically went "gently caress it" and voted it in without reading too much into it, only to realize later that their barracks are suddenly empty and feuds invalidated.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man I'm really tempted to try Lux Invicta but that would mean abandoning my current HIP game where I have become boringly powerful. I don't think I will ever make it to 1453, it's always so tempting to try something new once you 'win' and become the world's greatest power.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Brotato Broth posted:

I like to imagine that the CA proposal was full of inscrutable legalese and the nobles basically went "gently caress it" and voted it in without reading too much into it, only to realize later that their barracks are suddenly empty and feuds invalidated.

Or otherwise they're like 'Yes, of course my King, whatever you want' because they like you and all, but once they stop and think on it, they realise how it actually affects them (namely taking away their powers), and thus grow to dislike it.

Mind you, now that I think on the issue myself, it'd be... interesting, if like, you could have vassals with traits that augment how they're affected by policy changes and such. Like if one of your lords is absolutely tired of all the internal conflict, or otherwise is aware of how the vassal system can limit the defense of the realm, perhaps they could be more willing to go with the policy changes (ie, they're unaffected by the opinion drop).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Another one that's always amused/infuriated me is how if you change succession law to Elective for the express purpose of ensuring your firstborn gets everything, your firstborn hates your guts for it.*

He gets a big positive modifier for being your designated heir that offsets the big negative modifier for having Elective succession. But it's still stupid.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

marktheando posted:

Man I'm really tempted to try Lux Invicta but that would mean abandoning my current HIP game where I have become boringly powerful. I don't think I will ever make it to 1453, it's always so tempting to try something new once you 'win' and become the world's greatest power.

Why would you have to abandon your current game?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Astro Nut posted:

Or otherwise they're like 'Yes, of course my King, whatever you want' because they like you and all, but once they stop and think on it, they realise how it actually affects them (namely taking away their powers), and thus grow to dislike it.

Or the diplomacy value represents more than just emotional goodwill, and a high score reflects a feeling of loyalty or obligation in addition to how much they like you as a dude. So they'll do something that you propose as a power of your office out of respect or loyalty, but will be less patient with further requests or obligations, especially if they've had to agree to something that limited their power. Not hard to roleplay your way out of.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I want to try out HIP, but it seems kind of odd that I need to run an exe to install it, instead of just extracting it like usual. If I install it, will I be able to disable it like a normal mod, or does it alter the core game files in some way that will make me unable to play vanilla or other mods without uninstalling HIP?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Smoremaster posted:

I want to try out HIP, but it seems kind of odd that I need to run an exe to install it, instead of just extracting it like usual. If I install it, will I be able to disable it like a normal mod, or does it alter the core game files in some way that will make me unable to play vanilla or other mods without uninstalling HIP?

The former. The .exe is just for selecting which modules you do and don't want to install (for example, you won't want to install the lovely SWMH module).

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Bishop Rodan posted:

The former. The .exe is just for selecting which modules you do and don't want to install (for example, you won't want to install the lovely SWMH module).

Ah, thanks! So is it recommended to use all the modules except for SWMH? What is bad about SWMH?

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Once upon a time, the King of Sweden also held the Kingdom of Norway. The Catholic populace of Orkney was not happy with their pagan overlords, and a revolt sprung up on the island. Then the King died, and his realm was split between his sons. Orkney became a vassal of the Kingdom of Norway. However, the revolting rabble did not care about the politics of succession, and their conflict remained with the Kingdom of Sweden.

It's been 90 years. The revolt is still going strong, with 8,000 soldiers stationed on the island and in control of all of its holdings. Their original leader died of old age long ago, as did his replacement. In all likelihood, this revolt will continue until Europe experiences a renaissance in three centuries.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Another one that's always amused/infuriated me is how if you change succession law to Elective for the express purpose of ensuring your firstborn gets everything, your firstborn hates your guts for it.*

He gets a big positive modifier for being your designated heir that offsets the big negative modifier for having Elective succession. But it's still stupid.

What's also stupid is the "refused to join holy order" penalty not only stacks with every refusal, but also doesn't go away when you finally relent. I forget whether or not you get a bonus for letting them take the vows, but at that point it doesn't matter since they're out of your court.

It is kinda fun when they eventually become Grandmaster or something, though. In my current game the Teutonic Knights have basically become the Night's Watch, since they've got this long string of provinces from the Black Sea almost all the way to the Baltic. They're even colored black.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Smoremaster posted:

Ah, thanks! So is it recommended to use all the modules except for SWMH? What is bad about SWMH?

It's a map overhaul, adding these weird oasis along the Sahara and making most of Arabia and Scandinavia wasteland.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...So question, has something screwed over adventurer's hosts?

I ask because this happened, and at first I was really excited. Dude was pushing a claim on the Kingdom of Italy (his previous wife, one of the princesses, had died not long before), and I thought that with over 15k men at his command, he'd spread the dynasty to the continent and establish a powerful cousin kingdom of sorts.

He sat there until he lost the war for not taking a drat thing. Similar issue happened later on when the Emperor of Byzantium asked for my help (not that he really needed it) to repel an adventurer gunning for Thrace. The Adventurer never came.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's a map overhaul, adding these weird oasis along the Sahara and making most of Arabia and Scandinavia wasteland.

Isnt that a good thing? Its pretty silly that with a little work a holding in Lappland can spawn more troops in 950 than its current day population.

edit: and the whole Norway conquering huge swaths of Finland because they can walk there and not give a gently caress

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

...So question, has something screwed over adventurer's hosts?

I ask because this happened, and at first I was really excited. Dude was pushing a claim on the Kingdom of Italy (his previous wife, one of the princesses, had died not long before), and I thought that with over 15k men at his command, he'd spread the dynasty to the continent and establish a powerful cousin kingdom of sorts.

He sat there until he lost the war for not taking a drat thing. Similar issue happened later on when the Emperor of Byzantium asked for my help (not that he really needed it) to repel an adventurer gunning for Thrace. The Adventurer never came.

It appears to be a bug where the AI forgets how to use boats. If the adventurer can't march to their target, they'll just sit there while the war score ticks to 100%, even if they have enough boats for all their troops.

I've also seen this bug (or a similar one) prevent Norse chiefs from raiding. They'll raise their raiding force, get their boats ready, and then just sit there as the army depletes their treasury.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Smoremaster posted:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dear God it's full of counties :stare:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Dear God it's full of counties :stare:

I find it oddly amusing how the northern half of the British Isles is pretty much untouched.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I find it funny how the map update for Lux Invicta is even more extreme than SWMH and yet nobody's complaining about that. :v:

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Man, how do you show all of that and not show completely unchanged Persia.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Astro Nut posted:

I find it oddly amusing how the northern half of the British Isles is pretty much untouched.

Its because we're superior. (Saying that a a resident of the one county outside the south that got partitioned)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bloody Pom posted:

I find it funny how the map update for Lux Invicta is even more extreme than SWMH and yet nobody's complaining about that. :v:

Isn't the Lux Invicta map mostly unchanged in Europe since it's using the Umbra Spherae map? That said, I'm actually fairly iffy on it. I like some of the changes, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as nice as the official map.

Also, I love how the SWMH map splits up all these counties and it all looks clustered, but then, in England, loving York. I think York is large in Vanilla, in a map all about making things unnecessarily small, they skip right over it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

KOraithER posted:

It appears to be a bug where the AI forgets how to use boats. If the adventurer can't march to their target, they'll just sit there while the war score ticks to 100%, even if they have enough boats for all their troops.

I've also seen this bug (or a similar one) prevent Norse chiefs from raiding. They'll raise their raiding force, get their boats ready, and then just sit there as the army depletes their treasury.

Also, if they can march to their target, they will. Even if it means walking from Portugal to Sweden.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ugh, why are there 50 different holding buildings with up to 27 levels in Lux Invicta? And it still crashes when someone's at war with me, I have no idea.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

Also, if they can march to their target, they will. Even if it means walking from Portugal to Sweden.

Umm, I'll have you know that it's not just an invasion, but a holiday.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Brown Moses posted:

Yes my Norse game where I reformed and destroyed Rome has had nothing form, no crusades/jihads/aztecs/golden horde.

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
After the End

Been having a blast playing as the Deitscherei, but ran into a persistent CTD in 2738. I've saved and reloaded numerous times, but it always crashes in August of that year. Anybody seen this?

error.log:

code:
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight  file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 73
[instanttextboxtype.cpp:92]: Not used, use maxWidth and maxHeight  file: launcher/interface/main.gui line: 90
[persistent.cpp:35]: Error: "Malformed token: martial, near line: 100
" in file: "history/characters/maritimes.txt" near line: 100
[persistent.cpp:35]: Error: "Malformed token: culture, near line: 148
" in file: "history/characters/maritimes.txt" near line: 148
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//coats_of_arms//dynasties2.tga.
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//coats_of_arms//dynasties3.tga.
[texturehandler.cpp:181]: Couldn't find texture file: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I'm the four additional counties added to Ireland.

Because the game just wasnt complete w/out the implementation of Sligo.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread