Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most hotels will store your luggage, sometimes for a small fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hotels in Khao San are also like 30 bucks a day for a huge double, and the airports aren't far. I'd keep a room, get a last shower in, check out at 2:30am, and get a taxi.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Ok, I'll think about that and see what we can come up with. Times like these I wish we had a wiki function.

Or an "Airline Travel Megathread" of some sort. I know there is one that revolves around frequent business travel in BFC but nothing in here for those general questions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Hotels in Khao San are also like 30 bucks a day for a huge double, and the airports aren't far. I'd keep a room, get a last shower in, check out at 2:30am, and get a taxi.

I had forgotten about the showe. I will definitely get that extra day. Shower will make a world of difference in comfort. Thanks much!

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, if it's DL metal you'll check in with DL and their baggage policies will apply so you'd be charged the fee.

Update on my bike codeshare situation. When my brother went to drop off the box, the Delta agent asked if he paid the fee at the check-in kiosk. When he replied, "I booked my ticket with Korean Air," they just said okay and took it for free. Success!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(*≧∀≦*)

I got free overweight luggage because I booked through ANA and not United. AZN PWR

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So... A couple months back, I jumped on airfare tickets through Airtran. Now it looks like there's a very strong possibility that we won't be making the trip. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but does anyone have any experience with getting refunds for tickets? Or am I out $550 for jumping on what was going to be a good deal?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.airtran.com/policies/general_information.aspx?nav_id=19#Cancellation%20Policy

Basically it costs you 150 per person to have the remainder put into a credit file from 1 year of original booking.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sellouts posted:

http://www.airtran.com/policies/general_information.aspx?nav_id=19#Cancellation%20Policy

Basically it costs you 150 per person to have the remainder put into a credit file from 1 year of original booking.

Yeah, I found that after I made the post and I was really hoping I was wrong. So basically I might as well try to make the trip cheaper so that I can afford to go, cause there's no way I'll be seeing that money again anyway.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I found that after I made the post and I was really hoping I was wrong. So basically I might as well try to make the trip cheaper so that I can afford to go, cause there's no way I'll be seeing that money again anyway.

Yep, it's the reality of non-refundable tickets. That said, the credit should be good for any Southwest ticket so you should have some domestic options if you choose to cancel and get the credit.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I've got an air france ticket for a flight from heathrow to NYC next week that's apparently operated by delta. I was hoping to use my flying blue miles to upgrade the ticket class, but it looks like i can't do that because it's Delta's flight. Is that correct? Air France was very unhelpful, and before I spend ages on the phone with delta figured it would make sense to check here first.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

E-Money posted:

I've got an air france ticket for a flight from heathrow to NYC next week that's apparently operated by delta. I was hoping to use my flying blue miles to upgrade the ticket class, but it looks like i can't do that because it's Delta's flight. Is that correct? Air France was very unhelpful, and before I spend ages on the phone with delta figured it would make sense to check here first.

No bueno. SkyTeam has no partner upgrade policy like the Star Alliance does and you can only use FlyingPoo Flying Blue miles to upgrade Air France flights. You'd need Delta miles to upgrade a Delta flight, and they are class restricted.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a way to get a discount if you're buying say 6-8 round trip tickets from California to Australia. I'm hoping an airline might throw us some sort of discount since it's a nice chunk of change.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No.

One business seat will generate more money than those tickets. Yet less first class tickets.

Qantas group rates start at 10 people. Same with delta and most other airlines.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

No.

One business seat will generate more money than those tickets. Yet less first class tickets.

Qantas group rates start at 10 people. Same with delta and most other airlines.

I've checked group rates with Delta and United in the past and they were always more expensive than what I could book on my own through their websites. It's worth the due diligence, but I've never had success.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Ok, I have another companion voucher/avios with BA, and this time I want to make sure I get a good deal. I used the last voucher/avios to book 2 first class rt tickets from SFO-CIA-LHR on their website, and when I posted it here everyone said I booked it the wrong way and that's how I was hit with so much (~$1,200/ticket) taxes and fees.

So now I've got avios from my british airways credit card, and a companion voucher, and to redeem them I need to book only BA flights. How am I supposed to go about using them without paying ridiculous taxes/fees?

edit: nevermind. Apparently I have a travel together voucher but not enough avios to actually use it.

Emasculatrix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 24, 2014

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Is there any way to join a flight at the connecting airport?

I want to travel from London to San Diego on 6 October and from Portland (OR) to London on 22 October. If I book this with British Airways, it costs £610.

If I start the outbound journey in Dublin instead of London on 6 October, using British Airways and connecting to BA's Heathrow to San Diego flight (the same one that would cost £610), it costs £450. £160 saved for taking up a seat on the Dublin flight.

As fares to Dublin are so cheap I'm prepared to fly there to make this saving, but London - DUB - LHR before even starting the transatlantic leg is a bit of a headache.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No, if you do not board in Dublin, your ticket is cancelled.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sad Rhino posted:

Is there any way to join a flight at the connecting airport?

I want to travel from London to San Diego on 6 October and from Portland (OR) to London on 22 October. If I book this with British Airways, it costs £610.

If I start the outbound journey in Dublin instead of London on 6 October, using British Airways and connecting to BA's Heathrow to San Diego flight (the same one that would cost £610), it costs £450. £160 saved for taking up a seat on the Dublin flight.

As fares to Dublin are so cheap I'm prepared to fly there to make this saving, but London - DUB - LHR before even starting the transatlantic leg is a bit of a headache.

Jeoh is correct; you must take all segments or the remaining value of the ticket will be canceled and lost. What you're experiencing from a pricing perspective is mostly the UK APD (airport departure tax). It isn't charged to tickets that only connect in the UK.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Is there any way to get around having the full ticket itinerary cancelled? ie by informing the airline in advance your schedule has changed and you will no longer be using the first flight, but wish to use the rest? It makes sense to have your other segments cancelled when you miss the first one as a 'noshow', however with prior warning it seems a bit unfair of them to cancel all segments?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blut posted:

Is there any way to get around having the full ticket itinerary cancelled? ie by informing the airline in advance your schedule has changed and you will no longer be using the first flight, but wish to use the rest? It makes sense to have your other segments cancelled when you miss the first one as a 'noshow', however with prior warning it seems a bit unfair of them to cancel all segments?

Nope, it's part of the Contract of Carriage that you agree to when you purchase the ticket. If you want to change it after the fact, assuming the fare rules allow change, there is usually a rather stalwart fee involved.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Nope, it's part of the Contract of Carriage that you agree to when you purchase the ticket. If you want to change it after the fact, assuming the fare rules allow change, there is usually a rather stalwart fee involved.

Hmm, that's a shame, more financially rewarding from the airlines point of view though I suppose. Thanks for the clarification. While I'm here, I've another question for you Mackieman if that's ok - this thread is a fantastic resource for quick, clear air travel related answers.

Myself and 3 friends are currently in possession of three $650 flight vouchers for US Airways. We're thinking of using them for flying outbound DUB > MSY and return ORD > DUB around next March. Do you think we'll have significant problems getting all 3 of us on the same flights, using the vouchers? I've heard they can be quite difficult to book with but have no experience of it.

An alternative might be to try to sell our vouchers on ebay, and use the money for less restricted flights? This seems like it might be a bit more hassle, though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blut posted:

Hmm, that's a shame, more financially rewarding from the airlines point of view though I suppose. Thanks for the clarification. While I'm here, I've another question for you Mackieman if that's ok - this thread is a fantastic resource for quick, clear air travel related answers.

Myself and 3 friends are currently in possession of three $650 flight vouchers for US Airways. We're thinking of using them for flying outbound DUB > MSY and return ORD > DUB around next March. Do you think we'll have significant problems getting all 3 of us on the same flights, using the vouchers? I've heard they can be quite difficult to book with but have no experience of it.

An alternative might be to try to sell our vouchers on ebay, and use the money for less restricted flights? This seems like it might be a bit more hassle, though.

I haven't used a US Airways voucher in quite a while but generally they're used as a payment form, so if you find flights will available seats, you should be able to book them and use the vouchers to cover part of the cost. If you have any of the fine print or details about them, I'm happy to parse through it to see if there are any special restrictions you should be aware of.

Selling them is usually against the ToS and is a great way to get them invalidated, especially on eBay; I wouldn't try that route.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

I haven't used a US Airways voucher in quite a while but generally they're used as a payment form, so if you find flights will available seats, you should be able to book them and use the vouchers to cover part of the cost. If you have any of the fine print or details about them, I'm happy to parse through it to see if there are any special restrictions you should be aware of.

Selling them is usually against the ToS and is a great way to get them invalidated, especially on eBay; I wouldn't try that route.

Interesting, thanks. Google was telling me sometimes redemptions can be limited to only certain fare buckets so I was worried about how likely it was I'd be able to get 4 tickets on the same flights. These are the T&Cs, they seem fairly straightforward:

http://i.imgur.com/i2AfvHl.jpg

It does say they're transferable (and I've seen a few on eBay), but that does sound a bit risky. I'll try to get us booked on a flight as my first step anyway I guess and see how that goes. Just wish the YR and taxes that we have to pay didn't amount to close to $350 per fare!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blut posted:

Interesting, thanks. Google was telling me sometimes redemptions can be limited to only certain fare buckets so I was worried about how likely it was I'd be able to get 4 tickets on the same flights. These are the T&Cs, they seem fairly straightforward:

http://i.imgur.com/i2AfvHl.jpg

It does say they're transferable (and I've seen a few on eBay), but that does sound a bit risky. I'll try to get us booked on a flight as my first step anyway I guess and see how that goes. Just wish the YR and taxes that we have to pay didn't amount to close to $350 per fare!

Yeah, redemptions are limited to award fare buckets, but that's not what this is. This is a voucher that can be used as a payment device for booking a new ticket. If you can get US Airways to sell it, you can use this to pay for it. As long as there are four seats in the fare bucket you're trying to purchase, then you should be able to use it. I don't see anything else in the fine print that would prohibit that.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, redemptions are limited to award fare buckets, but that's not what this is. This is a voucher that can be used as a payment device for booking a new ticket. If you can get US Airways to sell it, you can use this to pay for it. As long as there are four seats in the fare bucket you're trying to purchase, then you should be able to use it. I don't see anything else in the fine print that would prohibit that.

Awesome, thats great news. Thanks for the clarification!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Blut posted:

Think about it. If you were able to cancel the first leg of any flight, it would be heavily abused. For example, people living in Atlanta can book any flight to nearly anywhere in the world because of Delta's nonstop services. So let's say Delta puts Miami to Madrid on sale for very cheap. Anyone in Atlanta can book the MIA-ATL-MAD flight and then call up Delta and be like, HEY I don't want to fly MIA-ATL-MAD.

That's why the contract says the agreement is to fly you from MIA to MAD, not MIA to ATL to MAD. If anything happens to your flight, their obligation is to get you to Madrid, not Atlanta.

The opposite of this is called "hidden city ticketing", where people book one-ways like LAX-EWR-BUF and then leave the airport at EWR. The reason is that LAX-BUF would be cheaper than LAX-EWR. Of course, good luck checking bags. (You don't.)

And yes, it is more financially rewarding for the airlines because they are able to gauge customers based on how much competition there is based out of where they are flying from. That's how airline oligopolies work.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of Dublin, I've ran into a bit of a headache. I'm planning on doing a working holiday visa for one year to Ireland; I have to leave by January due to when the cut-off date of the visa's conditions.

I'm flying out from Los Angeles (or any of the other SoCal airports that are nearby), and in the past I've been able to grab flights to europe for around 800 dollars. Everything I'm seeing now on hipmunk, kayak etc. is pricing me at least 900 dollars.

Here's the sticking point. I'm in the process of getting my passport renewed for the trip - my current/old passport is currently sitting in a government facility somewhere. Won't have the new one for at least a month, at best.

With me booking in october, am I going to be looking at dropping over a thousand dollars on a roundtrip LAX to DUB flight in January?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of Dublin, I've ran into a bit of a headache. I'm planning on doing a working holiday visa for one year to Ireland; I have to leave by January due to when the cut-off date of the visa's conditions.

I'm flying out from Los Angeles (or any of the other SoCal airports that are nearby), and in the past I've been able to grab flights to europe for around 800 dollars. Everything I'm seeing now on hipmunk, kayak etc. is pricing me at least 900 dollars.

Here's the sticking point. I'm in the process of getting my passport renewed for the trip - my current/old passport is currently sitting in a government facility somewhere. Won't have the new one for at least a month, at best.

With me booking in october, am I going to be looking at dropping over a thousand dollars on a roundtrip LAX to DUB flight in January?

DUB had a sale from the east coast and ORD recently, but that seems about right for west coast origination. You can try to find a good fare off the east coast and see if you can get from LA to the east coast for less than the price of the west coast ticket, but I doubt you'll find anything that really makes the effort worth it, what with it being separate tickets and stuff.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

DUB had a sale from the east coast and ORD recently, but that seems about right for west coast origination. You can try to find a good fare off the east coast and see if you can get from LA to the east coast for less than the price of the west coast ticket, but I doubt you'll find anything that really makes the effort worth it, what with it being separate tickets and stuff.

What I would do is just find the cheapest tickets from LAX to LON or Paris or something like that and then do the second leg on a Euro LCC instead of trying two tickets in the US. For instance Norwegian has LAX-LGW flights for as low as $310 (one way) and from LGW you can get to DUB really easily. Use ITA's calendar search if you're flexible with dates.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Hey guys, I kinda don't know where else to ask this, so I'll give it a try here:

I have a bunch of milles with AA so I'm booking SCL-FWA on my way there. The problem is on my way back there are only crazy options.
The best one is DTW-PHL-MIA-SCL (16 hour flight). The time between I land in MIA and the next plane leaves is only an hour.
I hate MIA and I try to avoid it all the time because I know you have to go through security like 5 times before reaching your next plane. With this in mind, I have never left from MIA before, only arrived. Is it the same? is an hour enough?

In case that doesn't work I have tried searching for flights leaving Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and even Cleveland but AA sucks and all flights are 36 hrs long (and none has a simple connection in Dallas, like the one i'm taking on my way there)
I'm trying to come back to Santiago, CL November 3rd from any airport close to Lansing, MI. If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Plydoh posted:

Hey guys, I kinda don't know where else to ask this, so I'll give it a try here:

I have a bunch of milles with AA so I'm booking SCL-FWA on my way there. The problem is on my way back there are only crazy options.
The best one is DTW-PHL-MIA-SCL (16 hour flight). The time between I land in MIA and the next plane leaves is only an hour.
I hate MIA and I try to avoid it all the time because I know you have to go through security like 5 times before reaching your next plane. With this in mind, I have never left from MIA before, only arrived. Is it the same? is an hour enough?

In case that doesn't work I have tried searching for flights leaving Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and even Cleveland but AA sucks and all flights are 36 hrs long (and none has a simple connection in Dallas, like the one i'm taking on my way there)
I'm trying to come back to Santiago, CL November 3rd from any airport close to Lansing, MI. If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it

The issue is that there is no award space currently available on the DFW-SCL flight and lots of award space open on the MIA-SCL flight. The only way to get to MIA out of Michigan on November 3 is through either PHL or CLT. That's the way award tickets work. I wouldn't mind an hour connection in MIA; that's less time spent in MIA. All the concourses at MIA are connected behind security so you shouldn't need to re-clear at MIA.

Edit:

DTW-PHL-MIA-SCL is only about 16 hours of travel time. Not so bad, really.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 10, 2014

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

Mackieman posted:

The issue is that there is no award space currently available on the DFW-SCL flight and lots of award space open on the MIA-SCL flight. The only way to get to MIA out of Michigan on November 3 is through either PHL or CLT. That's the way award tickets work. I wouldn't mind an hour connection in MIA; that's less time spent in MIA. All the concourses at MIA are connected behind security so you shouldn't need to re-clear at MIA.

Edit:

DTW-PHL-MIA-SCL is only about 16 hours of travel time. Not so bad, really.

Thank you so much! I'll keep MIA in mind for the future then.
Trying to minimize connections, I worked on some stuff and changed the dates.
I found SCL-DFW-GRR and GRR-DFW-SCL 12 hrs flights for Oct 15 - Nov 9.

The only bad thing is the plane, because I know MIA-SCL is done by LAN and their planes are way better.
AA needs to update their fleet, all of their planes are from the 80's and spend more than 6 hours in one of them is such a pain.

I do have a question: I know GRR is a fake international airport (no international flights) would I have to go through customs in GRR or DFW?

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 11, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Plydoh posted:

Thank you so much! I'll keep MIA in mind for the future then.
Trying to minimize connections, I worked on some stuff and changed the dates.
I found SCL-DFW-GRR and GRR-DFW-SCL 12 hrs flights for Oct 15 - Nov 9.

The only bad thing is the plane, because I know MIA-SCL is done by LAN and their planes are way better.
AA needs to update their fleet, all of their planes are from the 80's and spend more than 6 hours in one of them is such a pain.

I do have a question: I know GRR is a fake international airport (no international flights) would I have to go through customs in GRR or DFW?

MIA-SCL has an AA-operated flight on a 763 as well, so I imagine that's what the award was on unless it specifically calls out the LAN flight. In either case, coach is coach and it isn't going to be awesome. Though I do agree that most of AA's 763 fleet is a tad long in the tooth; UA has the same issue for the birds that haven't been refurbished into a two-cabin configuration.

On your way into the US, you'll clear customs and immigration at DFW. If you check a bag, you'll claim it and recheck it at DFW, then go through security to get back to the gates for your onward flight to GRR.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

Thank you so much Mackieman!
I've been trying to call AA to get this info and was pretty much impossible. I owe you my sanity

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Plydoh posted:

Thank you so much Mackieman!
I've been trying to call AA to get this info and was pretty much impossible. I owe you my sanity

If anything, we can all be thankful that Chile is now on the Visa Waiver Program. :coal:

ex
Nov 27, 2002

it all comes down to the fine arts
Hello all,

Good thread. I am looking for the most cost effective way to get into Hanoi, Vietnam from Hong Kong.

• Origin: HKG

•Destination: HAN

•Flight Date: Sept 29th.

•Flexibility: Sept 29 or the 30th.

Its look like $300 from my research...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ex posted:

Hello all,

Good thread. I am looking for the most cost effective way to get into Hanoi, Vietnam from Hong Kong.

• Origin: HKG

•Destination: HAN

•Flight Date: Sept 29th.

•Flexibility: Sept 29 or the 30th.

Its look like $300 from my research...

Hong Kong Airlines, $218USD. If you want to try Scoot and connect in SIN, you can do so for $269. SkyScanner.Com finds those fares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex
Nov 27, 2002

it all comes down to the fine arts
Cool! Thank you. That seemed a little TOO easy....