Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't care about Shulk but Duck Hunt dog is going to be hilarious.

I knew there was a 'leak' but I figured it was as bullshit as every other one in existence. :shobon:

When it was just screenshots of the character roster, I too was a Doubting Dennis, but then video footage came out and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hope in Pokken there's a way to get a Hawlucha/Wrestling Pikachu tag team.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

I knew there was a 'leak' but I figured it was as bullshit as every other one in existence. :shobon:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
if you're not sold on bowser jr on that sad clown face alone you have no soul

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I love how the clown car uses its propeller like floppy flipper feet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lessail posted:

why do you care so much

I don't?

At least I don't think I do? What's with this post, seriously.

Also wait they announced Pokken, and not the Pikachu Detective thing? After hearing "SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT" and them being in the middle of a huge pikachu event I figured it was going to obviously be the lesser known of the two

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Saw this post on tumblr that shows a nice comparison between Brawl and SSB4's art style and how much nicer it looks. It's especially noticable with Dedede:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I do not for the life of me understand why they went with that drat washed-out-looking palette for Brawl.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Saw this post on tumblr that shows a nice comparison between Brawl and SSB4's art style and how much nicer it looks. It's especially noticable with Dedede:

A classic Bowserbomb if I ever saw one. "gently caress you guys, this game's all about me now"

Monkey Fracas posted:

I do not for the life of me understand why they went with that drat washed-out-looking palette for Brawl.

Didn't Sakurai say they lowered the contrast to make Snake fit in better or something? The game was designed to look grittier and more visually detailed than Melee. Also Sakurai had less control over Brawl than Melee, which explains a lot of its issues

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how Dedede's eyes are less soulless.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Of course Ridley/Snake was too good to be true. :smith:

Monkey Fracas posted:

I thought it looked ok. :shrug:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Brawl was still an improvement over Melee, which had some pretty gross palettes. Melee's characters looked like they had the contrast cranked up and the brightness turned down.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Melee still looks pretty good, on an emulator :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeLpMBfqEY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anatharon posted:

Of course Ridley/Snake was too good to be true. :smith:

I thought it looked ok. :shrug:

Don't know if it's super well known but the original person who leaked the list spoke out

Basically people keep taking his or her list and adding to it including linkhatcherT (who gets linked a LOT) and there's no remaining characters that he knows about. If there are any no one knows them except for the guy who may or may not have a early copy.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Honestly I'd be a bit disappointed if this leak is the final roster, just because it takes away the anticipation of who else is in the game.

On the other hand, if the rumor about Chorus Men/Marshal and Ridley is true, I'd be hype enough for them to not care. Marshal with rhythm-based attacks would be so fun to play (plus it means a bunch of Rhythm Heaven music in the game)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Honestly I'd be a bit disappointed if this leak is the final roster, just because it takes away the anticipation of who else is in the game.

Well, it seems to me like the leaked roster has to be either the full roster or the initial roster. I can't imagine them showing a roster to the ESRB that's partially unlocked - that would be weird, right? So we should know the answer on day one. If the roster you start with matches the leaked roster then the "five more characters" thing is most likely true. But if the game starts off with a smaller roster, then the leaked roster is almost definitely the full roster.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It can't be the final roster, because All-Star Mode is locked. It only unlocks when you have the full roster. There are at least five characters left to fill out the screen, and Miis replace Random when enabled. That will be the full roster. Also several of the changes and cuts have to do with the limitations of the 3DS. I don't get why he would force the Wii U version to suffer because of an underpowered port released in advance, but hey, I don't know how Sakurai's mind works

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Excels posted:

It can't be the final roster, because All-Star Mode is locked. It only unlocks when you have the full roster.

Unless they set the roster as unlocked to show the ERSB. They might not have to do that with modes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Excels posted:

It can't be the final roster, because All-Star Mode is locked. It only unlocks when you have the full roster. There are at least five characters left to fill out the screen, and Miis replace Random when enabled. That will be the full roster. Also several of the changes and cuts have to do with the limitations of the 3DS. I don't get why he would force the Wii U version to suffer because of an underpowered port released in advance, but hey, I don't know how Sakurai's mind works

To be fair, that was a demo reel. It wasn't the actual game or anything so there's no way of telling if it's the final one or not. (It's why one of the clips cuts to Yoshi doing the Home Run Derby)

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I don't get why developers get to pick and choose what they show to the ESRB. Like couldn't Nintendo just not include Tharja's rear end and hope nobody notices?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ice Climbers have, historically, not been among the more visually complicated characters. Don't Nana and Popo combined have fewer polygons than Link, or something? If it's true that they're dropped, and I doubt it, it's probably more to do with balance concerns related to chain-grabs or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

F. Lobot posted:

I don't get why developers get to pick and choose what they show to the ESRB. Like couldn't Nintendo just not include Tharja's rear end and hope nobody notices?

Because there's a chance that if you sneak something significant past the ESRB and they find out you could have all your games recalled and reclassified which is pretty bad mkay?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

That happened with hot coffee. Remember that?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ice Climbers have, historically, not been among the more visually complicated characters. Don't Nana and Popo combined have fewer polygons than Link, or something? If it's true that they're dropped, and I doubt it, it's probably more to do with balance concerns related to chain-grabs or something.
The problem isn't graphics, it's dealing with the extra strain Nana puts on the physics and AI.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

It's in everyone's interest to have accurate ratings.

If you're making a game that suits an M-rating, it's better to actually be given that rating than to scam your way into an E or T and catch public flack for it later. The video game industry enjoys being able to regulate itself, and that would come to an end quickly if the ESRB weren't able to be accurate.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Bongo Bill posted:

If you choose Ice Climbers fighting 3 other Ice Climbers, that's 3 Popos and 4 Nanas the 3DS has to control on screen at the same time. It's an issue of too many AIs, not polygon count. Which definitely sucks, but hopefully the next game will either not have a handheld version or the 4DS will be able to handle the strain.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's the exact same idea as the comics code authority, right? The industry regulates itself to keep the government from regulating for them.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I wonder why it doesn't happen more often. Usually it requires some parent to make a big fuss over the content, but I doubt that would happen over panty shots on a few trophies out of 500. It just seems like a system that's begging to be abused.

Hot coffee was a special case because you could only see it by hacking the game. I still disagree with that decision.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is the 3DS really that bad in terms of power? Everyone keeps saying Ice Climbers would make it crash with 8 AIs running around but I've always felt like the 3DS was about on par with a Gamecube and Melee handled the ICs just fine. Of course I have no technical specs to compare but visually they look similar.

And then there's the whole issue of Rosalina and Olimar being in the game with no apparent trouble.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If the roster we saw is the final, everyone unlocked roster, the only thing I'll be sad about is Ice Climbers. Other than that, its a drat good Smash roster with way more characters than I ever expected.

I mean, its sometimes hard for me to remember that its still BIG NEWS, but this game lets you play as Mega Man and PacMan for cryin out loud. Just looking at the list of newcomers makes me super happy. Mega, Pac, Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager...all great stuff.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think there was an interview where Sakurai said the Ice Climbers might be a challenge, so now that there's a character select screen that doesn't have them on it (even though it doesn't quite look complete), people are declaring DEFINITELY CUT DUE TO 3DS POWER.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

If the roster we saw is the final, everyone unlocked roster, the only thing I'll be sad about is Ice Climbers. Other than that, its a drat good Smash roster with way more characters than I ever expected.

I mean, its sometimes hard for me to remember that its still BIG NEWS, but this game lets you play as Mega Man and PacMan for cryin out loud. Just looking at the list of newcomers makes me super happy. Mega, Pac, Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager...all great stuff.

I think it's all going to hit me at once when i start tearing into the game how awesome it really is. I feel a little detached at this point.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hot Coffee was ridiculous because it literally wasn't included in the game and the ONLY was to see it was to mod or hack it back in. And even then, it was just a boring minigame with some dry humping between two fully clothed characters.

Even worse was the Oblivion thing, where the ESRB wanted to reclassify the game as AO because of nudity mods. Mods made by third parties. Where the nudity was from textures created by third parties, and no adult content whatsoever was included in the distributed game files and naked textures included painted-on underpants and bras.

The ESRB in general is really weird, but, like others are saying, it's preferable both for game devs/publishers and for consumers that the industry regulates itself. See Germany for an example of why: Sorry, this game has [nazis/zombies/boobs/drugs/a swastika/apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic themes], so you can't release it here.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think there was an interview where Sakurai said the Ice Climbers might be a challenge, so now that there's a character select screen that doesn't have them on it (even though it doesn't quite look complete), people are declaring DEFINITELY CUT DUE TO 3DS POWER.

People have been saying that they're a likely cut for a long time due to the AI reasons, like long before this leak. I'm not on the 100% "they're cut" boat, but haven't they been a default unlock in the last two games?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think again this was a misreading of the original Sakurai comment, which still gets repeated as "there will only be as many characters as Brawl" (something that by now is very obviously false).

What he originally said was roughly: when asked how many characters there would be compared to Brawl he said "we are working to get as many characters in as we can but there are technical challenges with the 3DS". With no other context, this could mean that they wanted 90 characters but had to settle for 80, or that they wanted characters who could transform (like PT and Zelda used to do) but couldn't, to basically anything else that would pose a technical limitation.

It wasn't till after the direct where it was revealed that there were no more transforming characters that people began to speculate that Ice Climbers might present a similar technical challenge. AFAIK there has never been anything that Sakurai has said directly outside of that initial super vague "there are technical challenges".

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Funkmaster General posted:

Even worse was the Oblivion thing, where the ESRB wanted to reclassify the game as AO because of nudity mods. Mods made by third parties. Where the nudity was from textures created by third parties, and no adult content whatsoever was included in the distributed game files and naked textures included painted-on underpants and bras.

I could be wrong myself, but as far as I remember they (successfully) reclassified it from T to M because the models had bare tits (or something?) and the game was significantly more violent than originally presented to them (decapitations if your skill gets high enough)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Funkmaster General posted:

Hot Coffee was ridiculous because it literally wasn't included in the game and the ONLY was to see it was to mod or hack it back in. And even then, it was just a boring minigame with some dry humping between two fully clothed characters.

The ESRB in general is really weird, but, like others are saying, it's preferable both for game devs/publishers and for consumers that the industry regulates itself. See Germany for an example of why: Sorry, this game has [nazis/zombies/boobs/drugs/a swastika/apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic themes], so you can't release it here.

We don't care about these, actually, It's just nazis and violence that the rating agency here has a problem with.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Volt Catfish posted:

I could be wrong myself, but as far as I remember they (successfully) reclassified it from T to M because the models had bare tits (or something?) and the game was significantly more violent than originally presented to them (decapitations if your skill gets high enough)

None of that is in the base game.

It's just that Bethesda's games are easy to mod and the first thing everyone makes is a nude mode and an increased violence mod.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The Oblivion thing was actually kind of legit, in the sense that Oblivion has some M-Rated violence and gore that Bethesda apparently withheld. (Like, actually go into Oblivion and their are horribly mutilated naked corpses everywhere and torture/murder chambers full of blood.)

The stupid part was that the initial 'nude mod' took the male nipple texture and put it on the female model, which the ESRB said meant that the content was 'already in the game'.

FPzero posted:

Is the 3DS really that bad in terms of power? Everyone keeps saying Ice Climbers would make it crash with 8 AIs running around but I've always felt like the 3DS was about on par with a Gamecube and Melee handled the ICs just fine. Of course I have no technical specs to compare but visually they look similar.
The 3DS processor only about half as fast as that of the Gamecube. It's dual core, so that mitigates the gap somewhat, but it's still a hurdle.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dunban posted:

We don't care about these, actually, It's just nazis and violence that the rating agency here has a problem with.

It seems like some of the most recent censors have been due to anal probing (South Park, Saint's Row) so maybe specifically sexual violence is a big no-no.

• Locked thread