Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

hey you loving gamer nerds strap in because we're entering what seems like a bullshit-free zone.

:krad:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

this is the sole issue here. they literally did just that, as they use one decimal in their out-of-10 scoring system, which thus makes it an out-of-100 scoring system. they looked at gone home, and decided to award it a full 100 out of 100. the question is why, and as mentioned, there's strong evidence pointing to the devs and the reviewers being all buddy-buddy before they reviewed the game
I don't really think that's fair though, the scores are already inflated to this point. We've already given out 10/10s out so now if you go back and dont give anything a perfect score because nothing is perfect you've pretty much made it so all the highest rated games will be in the past forever and always amen. 10/10 doesn't mean perfect right now, just that the game is a great example of it's genre/what it set out to do. Which seems pretty fair, it's like getting a 100% on an essay in school or something.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
so is the entire beef that non branching semi-interactive stories (or whatever you want to call them) are sufficiently rare that they get lumped in with games even though they're not really like regular games, so people who like regular games are unhappy that people give good reviews to these story-non-games on gaming sites even though they aren't like the games the people who like regular games like?

I mean, if you hate non branching semi-interactive stories, you could just read the drat reviews which make it perfectly clear that that's what this thing was, and not just skim over the metacritic score and buy it without looking at the body of the article

Really this entire thing would be fixed by just removing numerical scores entirely and making people loving read for a change.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Fatkraken posted:

so is the entire beef that non branching semi-interactive stories (or whatever you want to call them) are sufficiently rare that they get lumped in with games even though they're not really like regular games, so people who like regular games are unhappy that people give good reviews to these story-non-games on gaming sites even though they aren't like the games the people who like regular games like?

I mean, if you hate non branching semi-interactive stories, you could just read the drat reviews which make it perfectly clear that that's what this thing was, and not just skim over the metacritic score and buy it without looking at the body of the article

Really this entire thing would be fixed by just removing numerical scores entirely and making people loving read for a change.

yeah, totally

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
hating on gone home has become such a popular exercise that the cool thing to do is like gone home, again.

gone home is good now.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Fatkraken posted:

There's still the matter of these people pushing their own agenda and refusing to not force-feed every paragraph with bullshit impressions like "brilliant rush of visual mastery".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hating on gone home has become such a popular exercise that the cool thing to do is like gone home, again.

gone home is good now.

I played Gone Home yesterday because of all the haters. And by that I mean I read the wikipedia page on the game to get the full experience. And by read I mean I skimmed it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

I played Gone Home yesterday because of all the haters. And by that I mean I read the wikipedia page on the game to get the full experience. And by read I mean I skimmed it.

so good, right?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gone Home is amazing. Just a shame it's also so boo-ring!

I mean, that's what the Cryptkeeper says, anyways.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I give the Wikipedia article a 9/10. Good use of pictures, no big words.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

horriblePencilist posted:

There's still the matter of these people pushing their own agenda and refusing to not force-feed every paragraph with bullshit impressions like "brilliant rush of visual mastery".

That happens because Game Journalists are terrible writers, on the whole, with a tendency towards verbal vomit (thesaurus optional).

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really think that's fair though, the scores are already inflated to this point. We've already given out 10/10s out so now if you go back and dont give anything a perfect score because nothing is perfect you've pretty much made it so all the highest rated games will be in the past forever and always amen. 10/10 doesn't mean perfect right now, just that the game is a great example of it's genre/what it set out to do. Which seems pretty fair, it's like getting a 100% on an essay in school or something.

the point inflation is besides the point. there needs to be shades of scores between good, very good, and flawless games. and as mentioned, polygon uses an out-of-10 scoring system in name only. they use a decimal point, so it's out of 100 in reality. also being a perfect example of the genre/doing what it set out to do is a wonky as hell measuring stick, as in that case games like call of duty should be getting reviews around 95/100-100/100 each and every year, since they're perfect examples of their genre and deliver exactly on what they promise. or in which case, the widely panned medal of honor: warfighter should have gotten a 100/100 as well, since it was exactly what it set out to do and a perfect example of the modern military shooter genre

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

I give the Wikipedia article a 9/10. Good use of pictures, no big words.

sis gay. so what

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are there any sites that rate games on a really basic buy/rent/skip scale?

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Hey check out this second rate Myst map my friend made in the hammer editor, I am hereby declaring it a perfect 10.0 and claiming that it revolutionizes games as a medium even though Myst was released literally decades earlier and has better puzzles + story and takes longer to play through

Super Nintendos and a lesbian jpeg

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so long gay sis

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

You wouldn't get a games company or publisher that would even acknowledge your existance with that scale to give you review copies.
Unless you gave everything a 'Buy' result.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rad Tad posted:

sis gay. so what

Stay Safe Gay Sis

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gone Home is way better than Depression Quest. I'll even go as far as to say it's better than Dear Esther, which absolute shite.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The sister's voice actress really sells the adolescent uncertainty and fear of coming out of the closet. It's a touching game, unironically.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

lovely gushing reviews and conflicts of interest are nothing new though, especially on the internet. Remember that embarrassing AICN review of Blade II?

I guess I find it hard to give a poo poo because I never buy games on day 1, so by the time I get to them there are enough user reviews and general chit chat about them that I have a pretty decent idea what's worth playing. Games don't vanish a week after being released, unless it's an MMO whose user base will evaporate in 3 months there's no good reason NOT to wait a little while and see if all the hype had anything behind it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

in an old thread about gone home someone was upset about the trees and probably wasn't joking

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The other problem with Gone Home is that it was sold with the impression that it was some kind of spooky scary game, like a survival horror or exploring a haunted house. It was a total bait and switch.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

XK posted:

The other problem with Gone Home is that it was sold with the impression that it was some kind of spooky scary game, like a survival horror or exploring a haunted house. It was a total bait and switch.

I'm sure there was at least one gamer who got freaked by finding out their in-game sister was a gay

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes.

Kotaku. :getin:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

XK posted:

Going in blind I left on every light in the house, so finding a note from the dad bitching about you doing it all the time was funny and a nice touch.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

the point inflation is besides the point. there needs to be shades of scores between good, very good, and flawless games. and as mentioned, polygon uses an out-of-10 scoring system in name only. they use a decimal point, so it's out of 100 in reality. also being a perfect example of the genre/doing what it set out to do is a wonky as hell measuring stick, as in that case games like call of duty should be getting reviews around 95/100-100/100 each and every year, since they're perfect examples of their genre and deliver exactly on what they promise. or in which case, the widely panned medal of honor: warfighter should have gotten a 100/100 as well, since it was exactly what it set out to do and a perfect example of the modern military shooter genre
I guess that's fair I mean I'm not a game critic I was just spitballing what I interpretted a 10/10 as. It's still better than pretending it's meant to be a "perfect game" or whatever and getting mad that they aren't following your definition.

Grades in school are really about the best comparison that I still feel is fair. If you get a 100 on an essay it doesn't mean you're the next brilliant writer it just means you met and surpassed expectations without much or anything to detract from that given the context of the class.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

XK posted:

Steam Workshop support will add a mod that changes your sister's secret lover into Big Spooky Slenderman

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

XK posted:

um it's called an Evolving Experience

it turns from a scary house at night to a heartwarming tale of hopeless teenage love and rebellion

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Within the first few responses, people are already going at him again for when he used the word "retarded" while talking about PSN. What a total shitpile, JonTron should just respond to every single tweet by calling them a retard.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
yeah gone home never deserved 10/10, you'd never give that to a movie unless it's citizen kane

i actually can't really think of a game that deserves a 10/10, that could not be improved in some way. deus ex maybe, it's definitely close but a 10?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Review scores aren't really the issue. The issue is game journalists and devs clearly have an agenda and push games amongst their circle while dismissing everything else. People get threatened for speaking out against it, we have evidence and people still refuse to admit there's an issue here.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
supermechagodizilla shouldd review depression quest, gone home and other video games that pretend to be an art, then he can write a long post i wont read exposing them as shallow bullshit

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ArbitraryC posted:

Grades in school are really about the best comparison that I still feel is fair. If you get a 100 on an essay it doesn't mean you're the next brilliant writer it just means you met and surpassed expectations without much or anything to detract from that given the context of the class.

once again, by this definition, medal of honor: warfighter is a 100/100. if you expect a modern military shooter with all the modern military shooter trappings, medal of honor: warfighter is pretty much what you'd find pictured in a gay irrelevant poo poo encyclopedia under the term modern military shooter

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess that's fair I mean I'm not a game critic I was just spitballing what I interpretted a 10/10 as. It's still better than pretending it's meant to be a "perfect game" or whatever and getting mad that they aren't following your definition.

so if you disagree with the above, what additional metrics should be used to determine what is a 100/100 (not a 10/10, which isn't the system polygon uses)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Review scores aren't really the issue. The issue is game journalists and devs clearly have an agenda and push games amongst their circle while dismissing everything else. People get threatened for speaking out against it, we have evidence and people still refuse to admit there's an issue here.
Yeah that's kinda beaten to death itt though and at this point we're all pretty much just waiting around for the next big thing to go down over this. It's not like there's any gbs posters siding with zoe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XK posted:

Within the first few responses, people are already going at him again for when he used the word "retarded" while talking about PSN. What a total shitpile, JonTron should just respond to every single tweet by calling them a retard.

How are all of his fans with mental disabilities supposed to laugh at psn outages when he insults them that way?

you's ur brain

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

yeah gone home never deserved 10/10, you'd never give that to a movie unless it's citizen kane

i actually can't really think of a game that deserves a 10/10, that could not be improved in some way. deus ex maybe, it's definitely close but a 10?

age of empires 2 with the "the conquerors" expansion, maybe

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah that's kinda beaten to death itt though and at this point we're all pretty much just waiting around for the next big thing to go down over this. It's not like there's any gbs posters siding with zoe.

me and forums poster 'a cop' eiffel towered her an now support ms quinn in her fight against you misogynerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The sister's voice actress really sells the adolescent uncertainty and fear of coming out of the closet. It's a touching game, unironically.

Wait, she was in the closet the whole time? I guess I had the bad ending then, because I've found out she was a lesbian, but never find the closet she was in. And I've opened pretty much every drawer in every cupboard, so I don't know how I could have missed it.

• Locked thread