Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

once again, by this definition, medal of honor: warfighter is a 100/100. if you expect a modern military shooter with all the modern military shooter trappings, medal of honor: warfighter is pretty much what you'd find pictured in a gay irrelevant poo poo encyclopedia under the term modern military shooter
There might be a caveat about originality in there I dunno. Sequels that repeat the thing the first one did usually have worse scores right? Gone home was pretty novel for what it did.

I mean you're really blatantly trying to employ a fallacy in here by trying to get me to craft for you a definition that would work great for video game reviews when I already told you I don't have one, all I was originally saying was your previous one about 10/10=perfect in every conceivable way is clearly wrong and not how anyone uses it historically or presently within game scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Did Kotaku really step back and say "we in no way should be doing this thing" and then stop doing it?

I don't believe that they did. Even though they just did.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

rudatron posted:

yeah gone home never deserved 10/10, you'd never give that to a movie unless it's citizen kane

i actually can't really think of a game that deserves a 10/10, that could not be improved in some way. deus ex maybe, it's definitely close but a 10?

Basically any game where you can look it over and say "okay a version of this game probably can't exist that's better than itself"

Age of Empires 2, Smash Bros Melee, Uncharted 2, Civ 4

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FAROOQ posted:

Did Kotaku really step back and say "we in no way should be doing this thing" and then stop doing it?

I don't believe that they did. Even though they just did.
Link?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a picture of zoe's rear end...

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ArbitraryC posted:

There might be a caveat about originality in there I dunno. Sequels that repeat the thing the first one did usually have worse scores right? Gone home was pretty novel for what it did.

I mean you're really blatantly trying to employ a fallacy in here by trying to get me to craft for you a definition that would work great for video game reviews when I already told you I don't have one, all I was originally saying was your previous one about 10/10=perfect in every conceivable way is clearly wrong and not how anyone uses it historically or presently within game scores.

gone home is far from original or novel, and not all sequels are stale rehashes of the previous titles

the point is that 10/10 (100/100) is not what gone home deserved by any stretch of the imagination, and that there is something else going on behind the scenes which ties into the general state of nepotism and corruption in video games journalism, which is the whole point of the zoe quinn thing

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

a cop posted:

Does anyone have a picture of zoe's rear end...

Reminder to all of you that this was NEVER about zoe's rear end

*posts another imgur gallery of her 5,000 rear end pictures*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

Gone Home is way better than Depression Quest. I'll even go as far as to say it's better than Dear Esther, which absolute shite.

Yep. Gone Home was just fine. Can't even comprehend hating on it. Like, I would rather eat glass than play Call of Duty, but I still understand and accept why people like it. It's just video games man.

Depression Quest wasn't nearly as good at describing depression as this stupid blog post that I think is unironically pretty awesome:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
gone home wasn't highly praised b/c games journalism is corrupt or due to nepotism, though

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Brown Menace posted:

the point is that 10/10 (100/100) is not what gone home deserved by any stretch of the imagination, and that there is something else going on behind the scenes which ties into the general state of nepotism and corruption in video games journalism, which is the whole point of the zoe quinn thing

When the reviewer tweeted at the creator like "I'm writing the review of your game xD" and he literally replied ":3" it became pretty safe to assume the 10.0 score that followed was disingenuous at best

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

totalbiscuit's stream is gonna start soon, if you're interested

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

http://kotaku.com/a-brief-note-about-the-continued-discussion-about-kotak-1627041269

quote:

We've also agreed that funding any developers through services such as Patreon introduce needless potential conflicts of interest and are therefore nixing any such contributions by our writers.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

gone home wasn't highly praised b/c games journalism is corrupt or due to nepotism, though

in the case of polygon, it was

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

the point is that 10/10 (100/100) is not what gone home deserved by any stretch of the imagination
Says who? I mean if you look on metacritic plenty of users gave it 10/10 too. When you rate a thread 5 do you think that's the best thread ever for which there is no better or did you just mean you really liked it at the time? I mean it seems like kind of an artsy game that would be good at milking positive reviews.

Really the only place I ever heard about gone home was on SA with goons bashing it and it doesn't seem like there was anywhere near the evidence of a scandal as there was with Zoe.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

here's the gone home nepotism

i'm linking it because the picture is big

http://i.imgur.com/Wg6iLvL.jpg

loool "tweeting at someone == nepotism"

haha gently caress all gamers forever

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

gonna be funny when zoey's patreon falls to like 10 bux after kotaku writers are forced to pull out

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lol that kotaku, which i'm pretty sure is some eve online goon squad thing, had to make a policy forbidding their writers to donate to the sugar daddy website

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

You know, these would have been good steps to make BEFORE the angry bloodthirsty mob was surrounding the castle demanding your head.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
That seems like kind of a non-apology considering how they handled everything else relating to Zoe. I honestly just want to see her thrown under the bus at this point.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Rad Tad posted:

after the kotaku writers are forced to pull out

lol tell me about it

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

The Brown Menace posted:

in the case of polygon, it was

Same with IGN, apparently.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Lobster Harmonica posted:

lol tell me about it

:lol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gone Home's about lesbians, Jesus. All positive reviews are mainly based on how bold and revolutionary the game is. That's exactly why it's got 10/10. If it was about a rebellious white guy hanging out with punks the game would be even less original and would have no value whatsoever. As it is the game's story was inventive in a way that it heavily featured an LGBT character with focus on her gayness and what it meant to her.

I don't care about the lesbian angle, but I can see where the hype is coming from. Because it's not that loving hard to grasp.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gently caress the ROW posted:

lol that kotaku, which i'm pretty sure is some eve online goon squad thing, had to make a policy forbidding their writers to donate to the sugar daddy website

Themittani.com is the eve goon news site. I like to think that it is better than kotaku.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Slanderer posted:

loool "tweeting at someone == nepotism"

haha gently caress all gamers forever

also appearing on their show multiple times and being all friendly with them and obviously having some sort of relationship outside of the boundaries of professionalism

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
at least we have steam reviews

Hooker Spit posted:

I absolutely hate this game.

And I say that with some amount of awe. Gone home does a horrifyingly good job of exploiting every little fear you ever had while you were home alone, but were always too cool to admit to; as a matter of fact, it absolutely preys upon it. You hear your own footsteps, the doors creak open when you move through the rooms, and naturally, there's a thunderstorm raging outside. It's the type of game that reminds you why you bolted upstairs the second you turned off the lights (and maybe still do).
Coming home from studying abroad only to discover that your family has disappeared (rather cryptically) doesn't exactly lift the mood right off the bat. After which time, you stumble across a series of notes, most of which are bits and pieces of your younger sister's life as she made her way through her teens while you were at school. Most tell a story, build her character, and construct a narrative around a very lovable girl, only to have the occasional "Please don't tell mom and dad about the attic." thrown in for good ominous measure.

Have I finished the game? No. But it scares the ♥♥♥♥ out of me. Realistic horror is what I find really gets to me, and this game thrives on it. And yet the gameplay is a strange and jaunty ebb and flow of emotional backstory with dark, shadowy undertones. I find I can't play it for long, but I still keep coming back to play it more.

In short, I hate playing this game. It makes me anxious, antsy, and jumpy.

Buy it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rad Tad posted:

gonna be funny when zoey's patreon falls to like 10 bux after kotaku writers are forced to pull out

There's an obvious joke here, but I'll let someone else make it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

The Brown Menace posted:

totalbiscuit's stream is gonna start soon, if you're interested

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

I left my headphones at home; is any of the controversy mentioned?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

the point inflation is besides the point. there needs to be shades of scores between good, very good, and flawless games.

haha loving video games aren't graded on some absolute scale of game perfection. weirdo spergs like Ulillillia might arbitrarily assign impossibly exact values to everything, but Real People don't do that because reviewing media isnt the same as grading a math test. game sites realized that giving a PRECISE NUMERICAL FORMULA OF SCORING PERFECTION was retarded because it is entirely unrelated to the question of "is this a good loving game?"

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Gone Home's about lesbians, Jesus. All positive reviews are mainly based on how bold and revolutionary the game is. That's exactly why it's got 10/10. If it was about a rebellious white guy hanging out with punks the game would be even less original and would have no value whatsoever. As it is the game's story was inventive in a way that it heavily featured an LGBT character with focus on her gayness and what it meant to her.

If Lesbian Myst did this good then maybe we should create lesbian toejam & earl as a social experiment and see if it also scores a 10.0

slowbeef posted:

Nah they're just discussing Arkham Asylum at length for some reason

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Paladinus posted:

I don't care about the lesbian angle, but I can see where the hype is coming from. Because it's not that loving hard to grasp.

this is idiotic because gone home was released more than 2 years after dragon age 2, and more than a year after mass effect 3, both massive AAA titles published by a multi-billion dollar company which included much more overt LGBT themes

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

slowbeef posted:

not so far

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Kinda have a feeling they're going to avoid it...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Brown Menace posted:

this is idiotic because gone home was released more than 2 years after dragon age 2, and more than a year after mass effect 3, both massive AAA titles published by a multi-billion dollar company which included much more overt LGBT themes

You're joking right? Please? Hawkesexual companions and one twobit romance didn't cover LGBT themes. The inclusion was appreciated and poo poo but that isn't a comparison.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Paladinus posted:

Yeah. Gone Home is pretty cool and comparatively forward thinking. It's a loving ripoff at $20 considering it's an hour long but whatevs.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Papers, Please let me detain illegal aliens and shoot commies 10/10

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ArbitraryC posted:

Says who? I mean if you look on metacritic plenty of users gave it 10/10 too. When you rate a thread 5 do you think that's the best thread ever for which there is no better or did you just mean you really liked it at the time? I mean it seems like kind of an artsy game that would be good at milking positive reviews.

Right now, as a slight derail, and I know that I can't explain this in any good way, but I'm sort of thinking a lot of some of this is coming from the 'games are art' audience of the industry.

Games can be 'artistic' but they aren't 'art', most vocally seemed to come from the outsiders to the industry. I think that created a push from people to be intentionally contradictory to prove games ARE art by creating a bunch of artsy games, and I think that it maybe even leads to the audience who wants to prove that to upvote things to cite them as evidence that "This IS art!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

I don't think so, for me the game was about 90s riot grrl culture, not just "lesbians". If the game had been about your little sister falling in love with a punk rock BOY instead of a punk rock GIRL the story could have hit nearly all the same beats. The parents weren't freaked out about you sister being gay so much as they were about the radical imagery of the scene Sam had gotten into.

It's about your little innocent sister realizing that she doesn't fit in, and to ignore the massive effort the game makes to connect this directly to subculture rather than just "being gay" is to wildly miss the game's point. In my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Game Journalism

• Locked thread