Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

e X posted:

Ice cream and Real Housewives marathon :colbert:

Ice cream and Cop Dogs marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Knowing Whedon, playing Galaga.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

zoux posted:

Knowing Whedon, playing Galaga.

Marvel vs Capcom 3. Or maybe the old arcade Avengers game. But only show him playing Cap.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Since Cap 2 takes place over like 2 days, I am incredibly surprised there isn't a scene added (like the shwarma scene) to the blu ray where Hawkeye is just grilling burgers on the roof of his building, just chillin'.

"Hmm, haven't heard from 'tasha or Cap lately, ah well *drinks beer*"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Since Cap 2 takes place over like 2 days, I am incredibly surprised there isn't a scene added (like the shwarma scene) to the blu ray where Hawkeye is just grilling burgers on the roof of his building, just chillin'.

Him with the Hawkguy apron standing next to Grills feeding Pizzadog.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I would love an extended five minute sequence of Hawkeye on his roof, one long shot of him grilling burgers and rocking out to his earbuds while his phone rings constantly and in the background you can clearly see three Helicarriers blowing each other out of the sky.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While I agree it would be hilarious, they aren't going to shell out however many hundreds of thousands of dollars for Renner to do a 30 second joke.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

zoux posted:

While I agree it would be hilarious, they aren't going to shell out however many hundreds of thousands of dollars for Renner to do a 30 second joke.

Oh, absolutely not. But that doesn't change the fact that I'd really, really like to see it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

They should :colbert:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Well they did use Evans for a joke cameo in Thor 2.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

"Hundreds of thousands" to create a stinger that people would be talking about at work the next week is like the cheapest marketing imaginable for this type of thing.

I'd say, rather, that it either never occurred to anybody to use Hawkeye this way, or they don't want to do anything to strongly characterize him in one way or the other while they're still working on future scripts that he's going to be in - make it too silly, and you're going to make it hard to take him seriously in Age of Ultron.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Well they did use Evans for a joke cameo in Thor 2.

Thor 2 is the only MCU flick I haven't seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Thor 2 is the only MCU flick I haven't seen.

Keep it that way, it's easily the worst one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I thought Thor 1 was only OK imo. If it pops up on Netflix or HBO or something I'll watch it. What was the Cap cameo in that film?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Yeah I thought Thor 1 was only OK imo. If it pops up on Netflix or HBO or something I'll watch it. What was the Cap cameo in that film?

Loki is trying on various disguises.

I thought Thor 2 was fine.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I really enjoyed Thor 2, and if we're ranking MCU films no way is it worse than Cap 1.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Everyone in this thread has forgotten Iron Man 2.

Maybe that's for the best.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sarchasm posted:

I liked that movie. And Thor 2.

It's me, I'm the worst :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, I'm the worst. I like/love all the Marvel movies, especially The Avengers.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Ironman 2 and Thor are both pretty weak movies overall, but they do have a lot of great scenes that makes them worth a watch.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I have enjoyed nearly all the superhero movies I have seen since X-men started this weird superhero movie renaissance, the exceptions being Spider-man 3, X-men 3, and the Fantastic 4 movies.

Wait, I also didn't like Superman Returns or Green Lantern, because I am a thinking man.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked that movie. And Thor 2.

It's me, I'm the worst :(

Thor 2's alright. It drags here and there but that final weird portal action sequence makes up for it, and I still think it's worth watching. It's not a high point in the MCU, but I liked it.

Iron Man 2 just doesn't make any drat sense, period, and takes its sweet time about it. "My blood is poison, I'll make a new element." Half an hour of screentime devoted to that poo poo. gently caress you, Iron Man 2.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

theflyingorc posted:

Which is why Ant-man being bad is an actual threat to Marvel - it hurts their brand of "not making awful superhero movies", which could lower the take on later films.
I think that's a super important point; a lot of reviews for Guardians of the Galaxy compared 2014 Marvel to 2008 Pixar -- having built up such good will by simply not making any bad movies that audiences are willing to follow them into premises that would otherwise keep them away, be it "five people you've never heard of in space fight bad guys you've also never heard of" or "a robot falls in love, also it's basically a silent movie for 40 minutes".

It's a good analogy, but it carries an unspoken, nasty flip side. Pixar then made Cars 2 and Monsters University; how good does "a talking dinosaur family with a human for a pet" sound now? Personally I'm not that hyped for anything Pixar has in the works except Incredibles 2, because I no longer have faith that anything they make will be all that good, so I'd prefer to just stay with things I already care about. That's not where Marvel wants to be in six years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Iron Man 2 is bad, but it has Sam Rockwell being awesome so that makes for at least 10-15 minutes of good material.

Thor 2 loses anything that made Thor 1 remotely appealing (which was not much to begin with) in favor of bad space opera. Really stinky.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Iron Man 2 is bad, but it has Sam Rockwell being awesome so that makes for at least 10-15 minutes of good material.

Thor 2 loses anything that made Thor 1 remotely appealing (which was not much to begin with) in favor of bad space opera. Really stinky.

I will happily concede that Iron Man 2 is a really fun movie anytime Sam Rockwell is on the screen, but you have to admit that Tom Hiddleston's Loki is fun even in a curmudgeonly space opera. :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I will happily concede that Iron Man 2 is a really fun movie anytime Sam Rockwell is on the screen, but you have to admit that Tom Hiddleston's Loki is fun even in a curmudgeonly space opera. :colbert:

I will admit that Hiddleston gives it his best shot, but the movie is so confused about what it wants to do with the character that it just ruins it. Like, they clearly wanna play him as the sympathetic, funny sidekick, but then they keep pausing to remind us that he did 9/11 in scenes that are otherwise treated as humorous. It's just a mess.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will admit that Hiddleston gives it his best shot, but the movie is so confused about what it wants to do with the character that it just ruins it. Like, they clearly wanna play him as the sympathetic, funny sidekick, but then they keep pausing to remind us that he did 9/11 in scenes that are otherwise treated as humorous. It's just a mess.

To be fair, a lot of this comes f rom them screwing Loki's motivation in Avengers completely up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

e X posted:

To be fair, a lot of this comes f rom them screwing Loki's motivation in Avengers completely up.

Yeah, the Marvel Studios movies as a whole seem to really be at a loss for what to do with the character. He was one of the highlights of Thor 1, then they just made him a growly generic villain in Avengers, then in Thor 2 they tried to split the difference.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I like how Incredible Hulk is so forgettable that no one even bothered to nominate it for or defend it against being the worst Marvel Studios movie.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Probably because it hardly counts as a MCU movie. All the others establish something about the character, but the Hulk is basically a new character in Avengers,

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

e X posted:

Probably because it hardly counts as a MCU movie. All the others establish something about the character, but the Hulk is basically a new character in Avengers,

I'd argue it's the worst because it's the one Marvel Studios basically pretends didn't happen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought Thor 2 was a fine movie and overall a step up from the first one, and Iron Man 2 is definitely the worst Marvel Studios film because all its subplots go nowhere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually like Incredible Hulk. I'd rate it higher than Iron Man 2 or 3, either of the Thor movies, or The Avengers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually like Incredible Hulk. I'd rate it higher than Iron Man 2 or 3, either of the Thor movies, or The Avengers.

I like it too. I almost agree but I love The Avengers and Iron Man 3 way too much. But it's pretty cool. Tim Roth is probably one of the MCU's better baddies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Action Man posted:

I'd argue it's the worst because it's the one Marvel Studios basically pretends didn't happen.

The plot doesn't go anywhere, and the whole sexin' = hulk thing was horrible.

All of the action was really cool and super brutal and awesome, though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

theflyingorc posted:

The plot doesn't go anywhere, and the whole sexin' = hulk thing was horrible.

All of the action was really cool and super brutal and awesome, though.

It wasn't sexin'= Hulk, it was pulse goes up=Hulk and is the one element that actually makes a return n the Avengers.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

e X posted:

It wasn't sexin'= Hulk, it was pulse goes up=Hulk and is the one element that actually makes a return n the Avengers.

...Well, that's dumb. Hulk's an allegory to having rage issues, not an allegory to getting way too excited.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, that's what happen with your body when you get angry. And it's always been the physical reaction, I mean Banner doesn't Hulk out over the state of America' public education system. It's also what most of the movie is about, with all the mediation technique he tries and it's also what finally allows him to control the transformation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

e X posted:

Well, that's what happen with your body when you get angry.
Actually, I usually just go play video games until I'm not mad, I rarely turn into a giant green monster and smash cars.

Except when the video game I play is Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Iron Man 2 really is the worst for a lot of reasons. Hardly any (good) action, a good 20-30 minutes is basically an advertisement for the Avengers, the 'sins of the father' subplot turns out to be completely whitewashed as the Stark family is just flawlessly sinless. They also more or less completely ignore any kind of growth Stark had in the first movie.

Also the various branches of the US military/HammerCorp get the tech to build iron man drones and no mention of this is ever made again.

• Locked thread