Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
More complete information on Halflings from the usual place.

Racial Traits:

Forestry
Lucky
+1 Physical Ranged Attacks
-1 Physical Melee Attacks
20% Weakeness to Physical Damage

Dislikes: Underground
Hates: Blighted, Artic, Volcano.

Terrain preferences are a bit extreme. Loves the most common terrain types, but hates a lot of stuff.

Lucky scales from 0-25% evasion depending on morale, and being extra lucky can increase it further.

Besides the units shown in the video, they have a fairly standard sword unit. (Swashbuckler, has urban concealment?)

Pike unit is a Farmer, has a chicken, chicken has a "special purpose".

The Eagle Rider does have a new active ability.

The Jesters ranged attack only does damage to a single target but inflicts daze and panicks animals in an AOE around the target, friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Picky little fuckers those halflings.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

The Jesters ranged attack only does damage to a single target but inflicts daze and panicks animals in an AOE around the target, friendly fire.

As a side note, the fireworks apply a new status effect called Dazzled, not dazed. Dazzled units can act as normal, but cannot retaliate on combat or do attacks of opportunity. It's a debuff essentially, with the advantage (disadvantage?) that dazzled units are immune to being exhausted, no matter how many times you attack them, they'll always have 3AP on their turn to act.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

Picky little fuckers those halflings.

I love that their priest hands out second breakfasts. Makes me think of the goofy art for halflings in bloodbowl, waddling around with a drumstick and a reserve emergency sandwich tied to their arm.

Dazzled sounds actually really interesting and unique and could be applied to other units/spells, it would be a waste for it to only be on that one unit's attack. A very cool mechanic with lots of tactical uses, and could potentially even be used on your own unit to prevent the enemy from wasting their AP in some rare cases. Does dazzle mean they won't turn to face a unit attacking them as well? Or that they turn but don't attack?

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 26, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a way to assign a leader within a stack? Like if I have two equal level heroes, I want the leader to actually be the hero with leader abilities (+damage and whatnot).

Anyone know the answer to this? It's really annoying.

Also, I know that the magic schools will be revised, but are there going to be any new spells and whatnot added? I don't feel that they add a whole lot to a given hero in comparison to the class, so this part of the game feels kinda anemic. At the very least, provide some sort of "Mass _______" variant for the buffs if you're a master or something.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

Dazzled sounds actually really interesting and unique and could be applied to other units/spells, it would be a waste for it to only be on that one unit's attack. A very cool mechanic with lots of tactical uses, and could potentially even be used on your own unit to prevent the enemy from wasting their AP in some rare cases. Does dazzle mean they won't turn to face a unit attacking them as well? Or that they turn but don't attack?

They turn, they just don't retaliate. I think a similar effect is now on the Slow spell as well.

GrandpaPants posted:

Anyone know the answer to this? It's really annoying.

Also, I know that the magic schools will be revised, but are there going to be any new spells and whatnot added? I don't feel that they add a whole lot to a given hero in comparison to the class, so this part of the game feels kinda anemic. At the very least, provide some sort of "Mass _______" variant for the buffs if you're a master or something.

I'm afraid it's possible. I wanted to add a thing where the heroes would be sorted by the number of army wide bonuses they had, but the idea was nixed :(

The only new spells that are being added in this expansion are the ones in the wild magic specialization.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Can you dazzle your own units? Could be useful if their retaliations are weak and they have dodge.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

a!n posted:

Can you dazzle your own units? Could be useful if their retaliations are weak and they have dodge.

Sure, just stand next to your enemies and shoot fireworks at them!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Did Lucky affect crit chance as well or am I mistaken? Maybe the guy in the reveal video mentioned something like that because crit is dependent on Morale, and Halflings need all the Morale.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Is there a way to rearrange a stack? For some reason, my civic guards refuse to leave the 6th slot on my stack, which is really annoying as I'd much prefer them up front to take hits and have my longbowmen sit at the back instead. I've tried breaking up the stack and the re-merging it, but the civic guards always move back into the 6th position.

On a lighter note, I think I'm addicted to evolving units. With my current rogue game, I've charmed all three spider types and fed them kills to evolve them up, and now I'm starting to work on serpents...

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

Did Lucky affect crit chance as well or am I mistaken? Maybe the guy in the reveal video mentioned something like that because crit is dependent on Morale, and Halflings need all the Morale.

No, Lucky is just for evasion, but stacking morale will give you that sweet crit chance as well.

quote:

Is there a way to rearrange a stack? For some reason, my civic guards refuse to leave the 6th slot on my stack, which is really annoying as I'd much prefer them up front to take hits and have my longbowmen sit at the back instead. I've tried breaking up the stack and the re-merging it, but the civic guards always move back into the 6th position.

On a lighter note, I think I'm addicted to evolving units. With my current rogue game, I've charmed all three spider types and fed them kills to evolve them up, and now I'm starting to work on serpents...

The arcane workings of automatic stack sorting can't be understood or manipulated by mere mortal hands, I'm afraid.

If you like evolving spiders, you friggen love evolved snakes, they're bonkers strong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a shame the final halfling unit isn't Leprechauns. I always loved them and they fitted so well!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think it's fitting that they basically took the Leprechauns gimmick (Squishy but dodgy) and applied it to the entire race instead of one unit. Remember, even Halfling Heroes will get Lucky...

Leprechauns as an infuriating neutral unit would be nice, though.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I'd actually rather see Leprechauns as an eventual racial Tier IV unit. But as long as they have double luck I'm game. :getin:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

madmac posted:

No, Lucky is just for evasion, but stacking morale will give you that sweet crit chance as well.

The arcane workings of automatic stack sorting can't be understood or manipulated by mere mortal hands, I'm afraid.

If you like evolving spiders, you friggen love evolved snakes, they're bonkers strong.

An elite shock serpent will slaughter anything one on one barring dragons and very high level heroes. They are insanely good.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
New Dev Journal is up explaining the new Empire Quests feature. http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-empire-quests/

They look cool, though TBH 13 is less then I was expecting.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
That's still such a good idea for a game like this. I'm assuming it's a random set of ~half the quests so it mixes things up and nothing is certain. For some stuff the drawback is actually pretty considerable though. Rushing an Item Forge is not exactly the type of thing you want broadcasted around so you better pray that item roll makes up for it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
They posted a couple more in the comments to make up for showing some that were in the video.

Paragon – Be The First To Summon or Build A Tier 4 Unit
Reward: That unit gets a unique “Paragon” ability, granting it more hitpoints, defense, resistance and the Resurgence ability.

Heroic Skill – Be The First To Level A Hero To 15
Reward: That hero gets an extra 5 skill points.

Sage – Be The First To Research A Tier 6 Skill
Reward: You get 2 new secret spells researched instantly.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Tombles' post does say they implemented it so they could add more in the future, so having a mixed set out of the whole could be possible, though the way the post is worded it doesn't seem like it is done that way right now. Coming up with ideas for quests wouldn't be that hard, they could be all manner of silly things, and since anyone can achieve them it is perfectly fine if some quests are much more difficult than others as long as the rewards are relative. They definitely seem to be from that post - researching all techs is probably one of the longest goals among those, but the reward is something you can't get any other way, TWO more specializations. Although to be honest I don't think anyone playing an actual game where any enemy is a threat to them will ever achieve this particular goal, but the idea is very cool!

It seems like the sort of thing they could sprinkle in more of later, putting in content without having to come up with new art assets or balance new units or whatever. That is especially cool, it means the next expansion or whatever can have another bullet point on it that will (hopefully) be easier on the team to make, but still feel like a meaty addition to players.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goddamn

madmac posted:

New Dev Journal is up explaining the new Empire Quests feature. http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-empire-quests/

They look cool, though TBH 13 is less then I was expecting.

This is awesome.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

madmac posted:

Paragon – Be The First To Summon or Build A Tier 4 Unit
Reward: That unit gets a unique “Paragon” ability, granting it more hitpoints, defense, resistance and the Resurgence ability.

This one scares me. You can nab a baby serpent really early in the game if you get lucky. A turn 10-15 Shock Serpent buffed out the rear end will be impossible to beat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Royal Scrub posted:

This one scares me. You can nab a baby serpent really early in the game if you get lucky. A turn 10-15 Shock Serpent buffed out the rear end will be impossible to beat.

S'not possible in the next patch, T1 serpents don't evolve into T4 ones anymore, hilariously broken as it was. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think an evolved creature will fulfil the quest condition. The check only fires when you build or summon something.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

S'not possible in the next patch, T1 serpents don't evolve into T4 ones anymore, hilariously broken as it was. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think an evolved creature will fulfil the quest condition. The check only fires when you build or summon something.

Oh, well then hell yeah! Thanks for clearing that up. Even all the little changes I've heard about make me think we're in for a great patch.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Today I learned that a nymph can't use charm animal on a hellhound, but seduce works perfectly fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deltasquid posted:

Today I learned that a nymph can't use charm animal on a hellhound, but seduce works perfectly fine.

Yeah, that Monster units can't be charmed by charm animal but can be seduced is bullshit.

One of my biggest problems with Archdruids.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

I have no idea what the rules for "Seduce" are, it's all a big vague in that area. In the next patch a lot of monsters (including hell hounds) are reclassified as animals though. Having Archdruid heroes is fantastic, since you wander around slowly accumulating your own personal zoo to fight for you.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Patch and expansion are going to rule, going to mash that buy button when it pops up on steam. Friends too slow to join the bandwagon are going to have it bought for them. Second breakfast for everyone.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gerblyn posted:

I have no idea what the rules for "Seduce" are, it's all a big vague in that area. In the next patch a lot of monsters (including hell hounds) are reclassified as animals though. Having Archdruid heroes is fantastic, since you wander around slowly accumulating your own personal zoo to fight for you.

Now that you mentioned it, archdruid heroes that attract friendly animals once in a while would be a neat idea!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Arch-Druid Heroes definitely need something. Right now they are pretty lackluster next to the other types.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Archdruid heroes seem like by endgame they should be really powerful since they have some expensive abilities available but getting them there is just a chore since early on they are so bland and not worth it. Just making charm animal work on more than what? two units? worgs and boars? make it work on monsters and they'd be useful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Or at least let them summon interesting animals before Summon Gargantuan Animal.

Being able to summon baby spiders/serpents or even poo poo like Yetis/Ogres/Trolls etc would go so far towards helping them.

Or at least giving their low tier summons evolution potential. Boars turning into big ol Dire Boars, or Wargs turning into Werewolves or something would be sweet as hell and give them a cool niche.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zore posted:

Or at least let them summon interesting animals before Summon Gargantuan Animal.

Being able to summon baby spiders/serpents or even poo poo like Yetis/Ogres/Trolls etc would go so far towards helping them.

Or at least giving their low tier summons evolution potential. Boars turning into big ol Dire Boars, or Wargs turning into Werewolves or something would be sweet as hell and give them a cool niche.

Druid summons got seriously overhauled in the last big patch a couple months ago. Off the top of my head...

Summon Animal can now give you Baby Spiders, Baby Snakes, Dire Penguins and the usual stuff.

Summon Eldritch Animal ditched the Zephyr Bird and Penguin, now can summon Blight Boars, Frost Wargs, or Tier 3 Basilisks. (Basilisks own.)

Summon Gargantuan Animal stayed the same I think, except they got rid of the dumb undead vulture.

Druid summons are actually super good now.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
They are great are leaders but suffer the same way sorcs do if they are secondary heroes: they are casting focused and have to spend skill points both on casting skill and the spells themselves to be worth anything. Since you can only cast one spell a turn, having two heroes in a fight really gimps them. Their passive army buff skills are really sad, being resist buffs to some of the least common elements in the game (cold, spirit). You're basically left with the only significant option being dumping points in range damage and using them as archer cav, which any hero can do. At least charm animal will be better after the expansion with the changes. Cure disease will probably still be a joke though? Their other unique skills are things like swimming and terrain passing, which would only be useful in an army if everything else flew or also had no terrain penalty. That might be feasible with hunters and shamans but that basically means no summons.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

Cure disease will probably still be a joke though?

Tactical Dispel has a fail chance now, so Cure Disease is a lot more useful. It removes all blight based debuffs without fail chance, while Break Control removes all mind control and spirit based debuffs without fail chance. Spirit Debuffs tend to be nastier, but rarer (Berserk and Panick are both spirit), while Blight are very common (Poison, Disease, Weakness, Curse, Degenerated, Mutated). I also added a thing so the game will tell you what ability will remove a debuff when you mouse over it in the unit panel, since the whole system is confusing as hell otherwise.

I always liked Archdruid heroes because they start with longbows, and can learn the stack healing upgrade. Also because casting Savage Rage on Eldritch Horrors and Warbreeds is wonderfully OP. They are quite lacking in other areas though.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I also added a thing so the game will tell you what ability will remove a debuff when you mouse over it in the unit panel, since the whole system is confusing as hell otherwise.

You are fantastic. Sometimes little ui changes like this can make an ENORMOUS difference in the player's experience.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Druid Heroes are kind of odd. I think they're great early on. Fast Healing+Active Healing+Longbow all makes for excellent creeping, and a bit later on they can be good for casting specific spells. Vines, Hornet Swarm, Rust Strike, and Savage Roar are all very strong spells in certain situations. Improved Animal Charm will help a lot too.

On the other hand, they don't have much in the way of good combat skills (Bleeding and Crippling Wounds is fairly nice) or leadership buffs. They're pretty much the last guys you want leading a stack late game, and spellcasting isn't something you can stack effectively.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

spellcasting isn't something you can stack effectively.

Finding a way to address this without making hero stacks omnipotent would flesh out secondary heroes quite a bit, and actually make spending skill points on casting points and spells once in a while a viable choice to be sure.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Finding a way to address this without making hero stacks omnipotent would flesh out secondary heroes quite a bit, and actually make spending skill points on casting points and spells once in a while a viable choice to be sure.

I mean, it's already a viable choice to a point. For my play style especially, combat spells are usually the last thing I start researching on my main leader. Having a secondary spellcasting hero is already quite useful. Having two or three secondary spellcasting heroes, not so much...

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Sure, but the game dumps heroes on the player through a firehose, which means they are either a mediocre combat unit or a stack leader if you luck into a theocrat/warlord for the most part. Still, players can limit the amount of heroes they get in a game but the default is pretty high for each map size (I think it's 5 or 7 for medium maps in addition to the leader?). While hero hiring could perhaps be scaled based on how many heroes a player already has, that is still kind of a backwards not-quite fix to spellcasting focused heroes being hampered by a basic game mechanic. They are already tough enough to use early (when it matters) since mana is tight in the early game. One city buff can eat your entire mana income, to say nothing of essential scout summoning and combat spells.

That actually touches on something else, though. The economy is in a weird place because early on you have one city, and your ability to spend money is strangled by that so you pile up gobs of cash. Mana is at a premium as you have very little income - almost entirely luck based around getting nodes near your first city. As the player builds more cities, each city can not only have more nodes but build mana producing structures as well. These additional cities provide more production with which to spend gold, so cashflow starts going negative and you start spending money as fast as you can get it. The cities do not improve casting skill though, so your mana income outpaces your ability to use it and only goes up from there. That being said, a big part of the reason mana is hard to spend in the mid-late game right now is the ease with which the AI can spam dispels - if players could reliably keep enchantments on their cities they would certainly find ways to dump their mana. This will probably fix itself with the new disjunct mechanics in the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Carnalfex posted:

Sure, but the game dumps heroes on the player through a firehose, which means they are either a mediocre combat unit or a stack leader if you luck into a theocrat/warlord for the most part. Still, players can limit the amount of heroes they get in a game but the default is pretty high for each map size (I think it's 5 or 7 for medium maps in addition to the leader?). While hero hiring could perhaps be scaled based on how many heroes a player already has, that is still kind of a backwards not-quite fix to spellcasting focused heroes being hampered by a basic game mechanic. They are already tough enough to use early (when it matters) since mana is tight in the early game. One city buff can eat your entire mana income, to say nothing of essential scout summoning and combat spells.

That actually touches on something else, though. The economy is in a weird place because early on you have one city, and your ability to spend money is strangled by that so you pile up gobs of cash. Mana is at a premium as you have very little income - almost entirely luck based around getting nodes near your first city. As the player builds more cities, each city can not only have more nodes but build mana producing structures as well. These additional cities provide more production with which to spend gold, so cashflow starts going negative and you start spending money as fast as you can get it. The cities do not improve casting skill though, so your mana income outpaces your ability to use it and only goes up from there. That being said, a big part of the reason mana is hard to spend in the mid-late game right now is the ease with which the AI can spam dispels - if players could reliably keep enchantments on their cities they would certainly find ways to dump their mana. This will probably fix itself with the new disjunct mechanics in the expansion.

Are you saying that secondary heroes being able to cast more spells/spells out of combat would be a good way to address the mana flooding? Because if so, that's a great idea.

• Locked thread