Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Changing gears for a second, with the exception of a ring of skulls, candles, and crystal clusters, is there anything in Thaumcraft 4.2 or any of its addons that eliminates or greatly reduces infusion instability? Advanced Thaumaturgy isn't updated yet, and in 1.6.4 I had been using the Mercurial Wand from that with the upgrade that eliminates instability altogether. Working without it makes me remember why I think infusion crafting is really, really cool but also kind of hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

McFrugal posted:

What? No, the basic upgrades are free and functional in a basic machine. The real, bonus speed/production/efficiency upgrades only work in a hardened machine or better. At which point you get an extra slot.

Then you'd have an extra 3 blank slots, as if it were a Resonant machine already. Wait, did you not know you get an extra slot every time you progress a machine into the next tier? A basic has 3 slots, filled with the basic functions. A hardened has 4 slots, 3 of which have the functions in them already. Reinforced has 5 slots, Resonant has 6. This allows you to use a full upgrade line without removing any of the basic functionality. The only time you'd want to remove basic functionality is when you want something to be both fast AND give more secondary output, which I don't think is a good idea anyway because the speed upgrade reduces secondary output.

To sum up, when you make a basic machine, it works as it did before the upgrade system was added. You can only make use of upgrades if you make a reinforced machine or better, at which point you can easily do so without removing basic functions if that is what you want.

Why make them removable upgrades in the first place and not just have 1-4 slots or 0-3 or 3-6 still. The only thing about the new system I don't get is why move the side configuration to the upgrade system and instead of just always having it. Its one of the best things about EE I don't want it dragged into some cost benefit system.

Do I want to go faster, make more stuff, pay to upgrade, or have basic functionality. I don't see positives the fourth part of this choice system adds.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Hagop posted:

Why make them removable upgrades in the first place and not just have 1-4 slots or 0-3 or 3-6 still. The only thing about the new system I don't get is why move the side configuration to the upgrade system and instead of just always having it. Its one of the best things about EE I don't want it dragged into some cost benefit system.

Do I want to go faster, make more stuff, pay to upgrade, or have basic functionality. I don't see positives the fourth part of this choice system adds.

I think that it's important to point out, that what you're suggesting can be summarized as "Players shouldn't be able to remove redstone control from machines to make them better"

Basic machines are identical to the old machines, there's no change. Advanced machines are the same as basic machines, but with an extra upgrade slot (maybe some other things too)? There's no cost for any standard feature, so all you're suggesting is that machines should be less flexible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

Do I want to go faster, make more stuff, pay to upgrade, or have basic functionality. I don't see positives the 4 part of this choice system adds.

You have to pay to upgrade regardless. You cannot add more performance onto a basic machine. It is functionally identical to your "0-3" slot scenario if you ignore the basic functionality slots.

Since you're having such a hard time understanding how it works, let me give you an example. You have a basic pulverizer, and it works exactly like it did before. Then you decide you want to make it faster, so you upgrade it to a Hardened pulverizer, make a speed boost upgrade, and put that speed boost in the extra slot the Hardened machine has. Voila, you have a completely functional double speed pulverizer that produces less secondary result. That is a good way to make sand!

Now, what if you wanted more secondary output, but you want a speed boost too? Why, you can take out the redstone functionality you weren't using anyway, and use that slot for a secondary booster upgrade! That's the positive you're looking for.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
What it really boils down to is that this is how the CoFH Team decided to make the upgrades balanced and frankly, the only real side effect is that it makes the machines totally customizable, which is awesome. If you want configurable sides, never take the configurable sides upgrade out. You'll still have 5 upgrade slots to work with on a resonant machine. You could just leave the upgrades in forever and have 0-3 extra slots to work with, too. It's up to you, which is kind of the point in sandbox games.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

senae posted:

I think that it's important to point out, that what you're suggesting can be summarized as "Players shouldn't be able to remove redstone control from machines to make them better"

Basic machines are identical to the old machines, there's no change. Advanced machines are the same as basic machines, but with an extra upgrade slot (maybe some other things too)? There's no cost for any standard feature, so all you're suggesting is that machines should be less flexible.

No, what I am suggesting that players should be able to make machines better without removing redstone control. That redstone control should not be removable. That whenever the choice is redstone control or be better, that the choice is removed and you are simple able to make the machine better.

Sorry if I confused people, but I in no way want to force you to have redstone control at some cost to making the machine better. I want you to be able to make a machine better without ever considering redstone control.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
You CAN make it better without removing redstone control. You just have to think about removing it down the line if you want to make it CRAZY better. If doing so doesn't benefit you, you don't remove it.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Fortis posted:

You CAN make it better without removing redstone control. You just have to think about removing it down the line if you want to make it CRAZY better. If doing so doesn't benefit you, you don't remove it.

See you do have to think about redstone control or making it better at some point. Which is what I don't see the benefit to.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is the dumbest argument ever. TE4 machines are potentially the fastest, most compact, and most productive basic processing machines on the scene right now and you're still complaining that they're not good enough? Tradeoffs are made to encourage more interesting gameplay or more complex automation. A magic box that does everything cheaply and easily with no tradeoffs is boring. This is why cofh did the machines the way they did. If you have a big issue with it, take it up with them. (they won't listen though)

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
A friend of mine just said he'd "end up with a bunch of redstone control modules," (as if this an actual issue not solved by leaving them on the ground for 5 minutes or any number of machines that delete items) to which I replied that he could throw them out, they'd just be the AOL CDs of modded Minecraft.

What I'm saying is, KingLemming please make it so we can tile rooms with machine upgrades we're never going to use and also add a microwave that disposes of them in a spectacular fashion. tia

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I actually use the redstone control on one machine. Igneous extruder -> cobble generation. I have a level emitter hooked up to it so I stay above 4k cobble in AE. Any other time this is a free upgrade slot and oh my god why are we complaining about base functionality plus a bunch of new cool poo poo?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Taffer posted:

This is the dumbest argument ever. TE4 machines are potentially the fastest, most compact, and most productive basic processing machines on the scene right now and you're still complaining that they're not good enough? Tradeoffs are made to encourage more interesting gameplay or more complex automation. A magic box that does everything cheaply and easily with no tradeoffs is boring. This is why cofh did the machines the way they did. If you have a big issue with it, take it up with them. (they won't listen though)

Its not an important thing at all. If you look back of the first post that started this is me replying,

I am not so sure that having redstone control as an upgrade is a sign of the end times, but I don't see why they did it that way either.

Which I think is valid opinion, as their are plenty of trade off to be made between speed upgrades, output upgrades, and upgrade cost.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gerdalti posted:

I actually use the redstone control on one machine. Igneous extruder -> cobble generation. I have a level emitter hooked up to it so I stay above 4k cobble in AE. Any other time this is a free upgrade slot and oh my god why are we complaining about base functionality plus a bunch of new cool poo poo?

Oh, no, I use redstone control all the time. I also count exactly one person who is actually complaining about the upgrade slots.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Everyone's opinion is stupid. Stop.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hagop posted:

It can work if you're the right kind of sociopathic, charismatic, and abusive. Guilt trip a developmentally delayed womanchild bitch into unconditionally accepting your she-cock. They also tend to really love power play and rough sex and kink poo poo and have fetlife profiles.

Women are stupid loving cunts. Their only purpose is to be used and abused for our pleasure. They should go through constant pain, physical and emotional, because it makes us hard. They should be constantly degraded and humiliated. They should be constantly reminded on how they aren't good enough and they should always strive to be better.Their only purpose is to be the stupid, big tit, big rear end bimbos that they are meant to be. Women are just objects with tits and rear end that we use to relive our anger and sexual frustration on. All cunts should be aware of their place and all cunts should be happy with it. cunts have no rights, cunts have no limits, cunts exist only for our pleasure. I'm a feminist.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 26, 2014

Hagop
May 14, 2012

If I replied with witty meme, would it get you to spend :10bux: to prove I am terrible with a mean avatar.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I love mining, but sometimes my logistics gets difficult. THOUGHTS?????

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hagop posted:

If I replied with witty meme, would it get you to spend :10bux: to prove I am terrible with a mean avatar.

I got talked out of goatse.

E: SO. How does everyone feel about mining and crafting and modifying those things? I like it!

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 26, 2014

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I enjoy removing cubes (or "blocks") from the game world and then placing them in a different location. Sometimes I arrange them into simple shapes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I really like it when my map corrupts and I have to recreate the world and then whenever I make changes to the new world e.g. putting down new blocks they don't get saved.

Also searching for meteorites so I can store stuff gives me a massive root.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ixjuvin posted:

I enjoy removing cubes (or "blocks") from the game world and then placing them in a different location. Sometimes I arrange them into simple shapes.

Posting about cubes was better in 1.2.5.

E: DON'T MAKE ME GET OUT THE HOSE PENGUINO

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I enjoy the blocks and the mining thereof. I also like Robits. Every time I build a Robit, I name him Pip.
Sometimes I make a Traveller's Trunk, and I invariably name it Gary.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fortis posted:

I enjoy the blocks and the mining thereof. I also like Robits. Every time I build a Robit, I name him Pip.
Sometimes I make a Traveller's Trunk, and I invariably name it Gary.

I always want to make robits but I feel too stupid to program them, like with golems or turtles. I'm p. dumb!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I always want to make robits but I feel too stupid to program them, like with golems or turtles. I'm p. dumb!

You don't program Robits, they just follow you around and are your bros! They can't even die, if they get hurt they lose power, if they lose all of their power they will just teleport back to the chargepad you first placed them on.

This makes them better than cats or dogs, who are sadly mortal. One time my Ars Magica 2 lightning affinity was too high and it was raining, so I kept getting hit by lightning, and AM2 didn't count carpetner's blocks (which my roof was made out of) as being actual blocks, so I kept getting hit in my own house. I tried to go to bed to make the weather reset and, well, long story short I got zapped before I made it to bed and I was passing by the cat, who didn't make it. RIP in peace Wiffle

e: I think one of my favorite things about this game is giving things stupid names, like a villager I named Woop Slap, or the slime I keep in a cage currently that I named Herburp.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I like to pick up dirt blocks and carry them around. Then I just put them down in a random spot. Sometimes I teleport into peoples' bases and put the dirt down somewhere inconvenient on purpose, but they can't prove anything.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

McFrugal posted:

I like to pick up dirt blocks and carry them around. Then I just put them down in a random spot. Sometimes I teleport into peoples' bases and put the dirt down somewhere inconvenient on purpose, but they can't prove anything.

Did you ever figure out why you were suddenly unable to carry non-dirt/grass blocks at some point in 2011? Was that you or am I thinking of someone else who had that problem?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I like to craft large vases out of clay blocks which become my official "rotten flesh vase". There are usually about 2 inches worth in there by the time I move out. Saves a lot of ME storage space though, which was my previous disposal method.

And yes, I leave them there. In a closet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Posting about cubes was better in 1.2.5.

According to my calculations this thread averaged 34.6 post per day during the height of 1.2.5 in 2012. Now it averages 27.5 :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
i am a enderman. i haev long arms and i pick blocks out of the ground w/ my hands. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will teleport into your base tonight and make a mess of your walls and floors

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

scalded schlong posted:

I like to craft large vases out of clay blocks which become my official "rotten flesh vase". There are usually about 2 inches worth in there by the time I move out. Saves a lot of ME storage space though, which was my previous disposal method.

And yes, I leave them there. In a closet.

Oh god nobody post ME Terminal Goop

Echophonic posted:

i am a enderman. i haev long arms and i pick blocks out of the ground w/ my hands. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will teleport into your base tonight and make a mess of your walls and floors

This is the Enderface. It only appears once every 5000 years. Share it or you will never be able to access your machines AGAIN!!!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rutibex posted:

According to my calculations this thread averaged 34.6 post per day during the height of 1.2.5 in 2012. Now it averages 27.5 :v:

You mean that 30 months later fewer people are playing a game? why I never

Anyway lots of goon chat was displaced to PGS threads and IRC channels so that's a silly measurement regardless

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fortis posted:

Did you ever figure out why you were suddenly unable to carry non-dirt/grass blocks at some point in 2011? Was that you or am I thinking of someone else who had that problem?

Eh, I don't like to carry around tools everywhere.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

That wiki is for the new version, which is very different. Give this a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluPGpkLUZ0

Thanks, this will help!

Regarding Turtles, can I get them to keep chunks active, or do I need to tail them to ensure they are happily chugging along?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 26, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Taffer posted:

Anyway lots of goon chat was displaced to PGS threads and IRC channels so that's a silly measurement regardless

Aaaaaahahahahahaha

E: Rutibex is officially my favorite poster in this thread.

E2: Posters HATE him! Local mom's ONE WEIRD TRICK to picking up blocks and then putting them down somewhere else!

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks, this will help!

Regarding Turtles, can I get them to keep chunks active, or do I need to tail them to ensure they are happily chugging along?
There's a barely supported now mod called Misc Peripherals that adds a chunk loader upgrade but other than that the turtle could drop spot loaders on its own. The OpenComputers version of turtles (robots) have a chunk loader upgrade as well.

A related question: I've been messing a bunch with turtles and robots. Why do they both seem so intentionally crippled? For example there doesn't seem to be a way for a turtle program to figure out what an item in its inventory is without depositing in it a chest, getting the name, then retrieving it again, and robots don't even have that option. Similarly there's no way for a turtle to figure out what a block is unless they can use it as a peripheral, and robots can't even do that since they can't connect to peripherals.

Am I missing something here? Because it killed my interest in using either when I realised how hacky anything besides just using them for quarries would be.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Server owners: Opis has released for 1.7.10. I'm going to attempt using it on my local server to see if I can find out why my attempt at a modpack is lagging, so I can pull out the offending mods.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Threep posted:

There's a barely supported now mod called Misc Peripherals that adds a chunk loader upgrade but other than that the turtle could drop spot loaders on its own. The OpenComputers version of turtles (robots) have a chunk loader upgrade as well.

A related question: I've been messing a bunch with turtles and robots. Why do they both seem so intentionally crippled? For example there doesn't seem to be a way for a turtle program to figure out what an item in its inventory is without depositing in it a chest, getting the name, then retrieving it again, and robots don't even have that option. Similarly there's no way for a turtle to figure out what a block is unless they can use it as a peripheral, and robots can't even do that since they can't connect to peripherals.

Am I missing something here? Because it killed my interest in using either when I realised how hacky anything besides just using them for quarries would be.

Turtles were deliberately made to be dumb like that. I complained about that on their forums and got the spiel. Yeap, it's for BAalancE. I suppose without it, I would be too powerful in singleplayer. It also turns every program into something like crap I have to deal with from electrical engineers sometimes. I was really bummed.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Threep posted:

It creates programming obstacles that are fun to bypass. At least cc is finally going to add persistent variables so you don't have to do some hacky file save with variables constantly.

It'd be the same as botting if you had access to all of the information a player does. If you are giving it items then you can use slot numbers for specific items. If you want to identify things you pick up, that's for other blocks/systems.

If turtles could do everything a player could, including seeing block ids, then you could sort of easily write a program where you as a player just build a single turtle and then launch the program and you will end up with an ever-expanding turtle army that builds your base, does the entire tech tree, etc, for you without any human input. The restrictions are there to prevent this from being viable, because one person writes it then everyone else loads it and most mods/the games are solved in any mod pack with computercraft... which would probably lead to computercraft being left out or turtles being disabled which hurts the mod overall. So yeah it's for balance, but it's not for tedium.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 27, 2014

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Is there a way to enable inventory to be kept after death in singleplayer? The last two deaths were a bit annoying to recover my stuff since they were in the nether, and I want to prevent something like this from happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Make sure cheats are enabled, either at world creation or by downloading an NBT editor and changing the value to true. Then just type /gamerule keepInventory true while you're ingame.

• Locked thread