Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

T-1000 posted:

We would have done it to all the Germans too but we ethnic cleansed deported most of them after WW1.
Interesting tidbit: Remember our best general in WWI, Monash? His parents had changed their surname from Monasch. Yep, he was the child of German Jews, he wrote his letters home to his father in German.

Yeah, there was a shitload of this in South Australia, since it had an entire German-speaking region back then. Some people, particularly those that didn't change their surnames to anglo- or francophone equivalents were interned.

A lot of suburbs in Adelaide had their names changed from German names to the names of places or generals from important British military victories. One that amused me was a suburb named Klemzig which was renamed Gaza for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Counterpoint: he is a successful kiwi and thus Australian by default.

Where is Russell Crowe currently on the Kiwi/Australian ratings? Lost track of the pendulum of ownership.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, there was a shitload of this in South Australia, since it had an entire German-speaking region back then. Some people, particularly those that didn't change their surnames to anglo- or francophone equivalents were interned.

A lot of suburbs in Adelaide had their names changed from German names to the names of places or generals from important British military victories. One that amused me was a suburb named Klemzig which was renamed Gaza for a while.

I guess that's one Gaza that did get stopped

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Where is Russell Crowe currently on the Kiwi/Australian ratings? Lost track of the pendulum of ownership.

being a souths fan is kind of australian as gently caress i think, the whole mistaken assumption of your own relevance etc.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
My grandmother was denied a job at Myers during WWII as she listed her religion as Lutheran, despite the family being in the country since the 1800's, and by then, having an Anglo surname.

Somewhat ironically she ended up getting a job at a switchboard. I suppose having Germans serve you was more offensive than listening in to phone calls.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Hockey seems to have aged considerably over the past 12 months...

Being sworn in as treasurer.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Figuring out how to punish poor people must be stressful

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

norp posted:

Figuring out how to punish poor people must be stressful

Nah, that was the easy part. The stressful part is trying to implement it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
This was a guy dancing in his office before delivering the budget, his sorrow is not been able to achieve his vision.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Haters Objector posted:

There should be a minimum set of criteria that you need to fill to call yourself "progressive"

Progressively worse.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Today I was told that if I want to change employment service providers I have to do it through the group I'm currently with? Was told I need to talk to a manager?

Does anyone know anything about this? I remember it being mentioned in this thread which gave me the idea.

My ESP reported me to centerlink as missing a meeting that I didn't, and I'm pissed the gently caress off about it. I study full-time, they don't deserve my money to sign a piece of paper once a month.

Also.. the call to centerlink wasn't a free call. When did that happen? I was on hold for 45mins.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Dubs posted:

Also.. the call to centerlink wasn't a free call. When did that happen? I was on hold for 45mins.

It's been a while. There's a couple of 1800 numbers but all 13 numbers end up being tens of dollars+ on a mobile. They do have a service that lets you hang up and they'll call you back when your queue pops, it's really worth doing http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/information/piq

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Nuclear Spy posted:

Hockey seems to have aged considerably over the past 12 months...

Being sworn in as treasurer.

This has been literally all I can see when I look at joe hockey ever since he started wearing pinstripes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dubs posted:

The complaints number is a 1800, you could yell at them for the charge, for free.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I wonder what the wait time would be to complain about wait times?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
The Turnbull NBN CBA has been released, Dropbox Here, and also has the nerdlingers over at Whirlpool frothing with anger. I shouldn't have to tell you that Turnbull's NBN is pro LNP policy and shows Labor NBN 'not what Australia wants nor needs'.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Dubs posted:

Today I was told that if I want to change employment service providers I have to do it through the group I'm currently with? Was told I need to talk to a manager?

Does anyone know anything about this? I remember it being mentioned in this thread which gave me the idea.

My ESP reported me to centerlink as missing a meeting that I didn't, and I'm pissed the gently caress off about it. I study full-time, they don't deserve my money to sign a piece of paper once a month.

Go to another JSP in person and say you want to switch to them. They'll do the rest. Pick a non religious one, there might be a chance they'll actually do something for you, and you won't be supporting rapist paedophiles

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

One of the unsettling things about Hughesy for me is that he sounds very like Damien Lovelock and that kind of sucks because Lovelock is actually funnier.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...826-108nxo.html

Tony Abbott's visit to cancer hospital used to 'justify' fund-raising visit
Date August 27, 2014

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told government MPs he had to schedule an early morning visit to a cancer research centre in Melbourne on Tuesday so that he could justify billing taxpayers to be in the city for a "private function" the night before.

Mr Abbott made the admission at the regular meeting of Liberal and Nationals MPs after being taken to task by one his own senators for turning up an hour late.

Several MPs told Fairfax Media that the Prime Minister described the private function as a "fund-raiser" to the party room.

The issue came to a head when LNP senator Ian Macdonald, who has been a frequent critic of his own side since he was demoted from the frontbench after the election, told Mr Abbott his priority should have been the regular party room meeting, which is held every Tuesday morning when Parliament is sitting.

But Senator Macdonald was swiftly rebuked by colleagues including backbencher Ewen Jones, who said Senator Macdonald's constant criticism of his own team had "overstepped the mark".

"I have the highest regard for Ian as a man but the direction he has taken is unfortunate," Mr Jones said.

Several government sources told Fairfax Media they were stunned to hear the Prime Minister respond to Senator Macdonald's complaint by saying he had to schedule an official function on Tuesday morning so he could justify being in Melbourne for a fund-raiser the night before under entitlements.

Mr Abbott visited the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and told a news conference he was there to talk about the proposed Medical Research Future Fund.

He made no new announcements but reiterated his government's commitment to science and research.

The government wants to pay for the fund with some of the proceeds from the proposed $7 GP fee, which has been blocked in the Senate by Labor, the Palmer United Party and the Greens.

The Prime Minister's office did not deny Mr Abbott had made a fund-raising visit to Melbourne. A spokeswoman for Mr Abbott said: "The Prime Minister attended a private function in Melbourne [on Monday] night. All prime-ministerial travel is undertaken within entitlement.

"Whenever the Prime Minister travels he maximises his visits by ensuring he participates in community events, business visits and local media."

The spokeswoman confirmed the Prime Minister "ran a little late" to the joint party room meeting because his visit in Melbourne ran "over time".

She said the Prime Minister was a "passionate supporter" of medical research and "makes no apologies for his visit".

Mr Jones, who has been in Parliament for about four years, said the meeting was the first he could recall the Prime Minister being late for "in all my time here".

Abbott flies to Melbourne in the evening for a Liberal Party fundraiser, ends up billing the public for the expenses, needs to justify it so he visits a hospital early the next morning as a cover.
Abbott ends up being late for a regular Liberal Party meeting, fellow fascist is pissed that Abbott made him wait more than an hour and spills the beans to the media. Gets demoted.

Adults in charge, Labor waste etc

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Gough Suppressant posted:

This has been literally all I can see when I look at joe hockey ever since he started wearing pinstripes.

Johnny Sack was a more honourable, ethical, and reasonable man than Hockey will ever be.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/08/26/aboriginal-woman-who-dies-wa-jail-was-there-unpaid-fine-0

Julieka Dhu who was 22-years-old at the time of her death earlier this month, was in jail for four days for failing to pay a $1000 fine.

It's emerged that not only was Ms Dhu released from hospital multiple times after complaining she felt unwell but she was locked up as part of the WA government's policy of paying down outstanding fines through prison time.

After complaining to police about severe pain, vomiting and partial paralysis she was twice taken to a local hospital but on both occasions declared well enough to be sent back to prison depsite reportedly not being seen by a doctor reported he Australian newspaper.

Her family is now demanding answers from the WA government.

Her uncle Shaun Harris questioned how someone who was dying could be sent back twice to prison with an all clear from the hospital.

“How on earth did the WA health system, the Hedland Health Campus, apparently miss such an obvious health problem on more than one occasion, such as toxic poisoning and officially declare Julieka fit to be held in police custody?" Mr Harris told The Australian.

“And why did the police refuse her proper medical treatment by unjustifiably dismissing Julieka’s begging and multiple cries for ­urgent medical attention?’’

WA attorney general Michael Mischin is standing by the policy.

"It is not a matter of automatically jailing people as a default on paying fines, there are a number of ways people can avoid being put in jail," he said.

"If they choose not to avail themselves of that then [there is nothing] the government can do about it but to say there is no consequence if you refuse to pay a fine means that people have a licence to break the law maybe in petty ways but without consequences and that just reduces the respect for the rule of law."

Shadow Aboriginal Affairs Minister Ben Wyatt criticised the approach saying the cost doesn't justify the incarceration over fines of only a few thousand dollars.

"I've long had the view that locking people up to pay down fines when you don't resolve the underlying issue is a terrible way to operate a justice system, it's a terrible way to operate the finances of the state," he said.

"Ultimately it costs more to keep someone inside than the fine that they're paying down".

Mr Wyatt also said the policy targets the poor and will only maintain the high incarceration rate of Indigenous people.

Family and community members have been critical of the Port Hedland Health campus that Julieka Dhu was admitted to three times and their conduct is currently being investigated.

The family want the harsh penalties that lead to her arrest to be changed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Who said the free market couldn't do public transport?

quote:

A new "private club" commuter bus service will allow Melbourne's white-collar professionals to shun the unsavoury aspects of public transport but the business' founder has denied it will create a commuter class divide.

Next month the start-up company SuitJet will begin ferrying professionals in and out of the CBD every morning and evening.

After all, as one potential customer said at Tuesday's launch, "You never know who you're going to be sitting next to on the train".

The company has a fleet of three Mercedes-Benz customised coaches named after Melbourne Cup winning horses but could quickly expand that to 20 within a number of weeks, using surplus Dysons Bus Services vehicles.

The buses will leave from select suburban hotel car parks and sporting grounds and arrive at dropoff points in the CBD and Docklands, with the first pick-up locations to be driven by customer demand.

Early signs indicate the business may find its biggest market in areas let down by yawning underinvestment in the state's public transport infrastructure.

SuitJet co-founder Darren Heiberg said the highest number of registrations of interest had come from Mernda in the outer north and Caroline Springs in the outer west.

Both these postcodes are without a railway station and although one has been pledged for Caroline Springs by 2016, no funding commitment has been made for the Mernda rail extension.

Whittlesea mayor Mary Lalios said "residents shouldn't have to rely on private transport".

Public Transport Users Association president Tony Morton said a lot of outer suburb residents could not access good-quality public transport but they might not necessarily want to travel into the city or be able to pay for a private fare.

A return ticket on SuitJet will cost $30, more than double the maximum myki fee but Mr Heiberg denied the service would create a class divide. The former Jetstar executive said he was already seriously considering changing the name of the company to remove the "suit" reference.

"I was quite nervous about calling it SuitJet. The demographic is white-collar workers, everyone from the receptionist to the junior accountant through to the middle management," he said.

Mr Heiberg said the express "business class" service would mean professionals would be able to spend an hour answering their emails in a productive environment instead of being stuck behind the wheel.

"That's an hour of work you don't have to do after having dinner with the kids and a cup of tea with your wife," he said.

"Public transport is too successful in that demand exceeds supply, and that's leading to people seeking new alternatives."

Glen Waverley events manager Sara Hale has registered for SuitJet. She said she often could not get a seat on public transport and only this week she had to deal with a fellow commuter who was "rude and abrupt".

She wished she could travel to work in "more style and comfort".

In San Franciscoprivate buses for Google employees have been targeted by protesters who say they get in the way of municipal buses.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Who said the free market couldn't do public transport?

Ohhhh, so that's what SuitJet is. I walked past two of their coach/bus/things parked in Docklands yesterday while two of their bumbling cockhead salespeople tried to hand me pamphlets.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

After all, as one potential customer said at Tuesday's launch, "You never know who you're going to be sitting next to on the train".

lol if you actually get to sit on a Melbourne train

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's like a bus, but for dickheads!

But seriously there aren't many (any) people living in Mernda or Caroline Springs who would be able to afford a $30/day bus fare

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Wow a minibus taxi, talk about exclusive.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Milky Moor posted:

lol if you actually get to sit on a Melbourne train

Or sit next to anyone, rather than going on a socially conventional diagonal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Haters Objector posted:

But seriously there aren't many (any) people living in Mernda or Caroline Springs who would be able to afford a $30/day bus fare

Someone should buy a bunch of Suitjet memberships and hand them out to homeless people.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Haters Objector posted:

quote:

"I was quite nervous about calling it SuitJet. The demographic is white-collar workers, everyone from the receptionist to the junior accountant through to the middle management," he said.

Yeah, they're going to spend a full hours pay, every day, on a loving bus, not only can they get to work, at the exact same time as before if they already were catching a bus, but they can spend the time with the rear end in a top hat boss/marketing exec/accountant/lawyer who talks to them like poo poo all day.

I don't know what parking is like in Melbourne but you can drive to work and park all day on an 'early bird' special for less than that in Brisbane.
So unless they're serving liquor I fail to see the added value.

fake edit : $20 all day parking Galleria early bird. (If you wan't to give money to known scumbags Wilsons).

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 27, 2014

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Soag posted:

i like will anderson

http://wilosophy.libsyn.com/ Wil Anderson sitting down and chatting with the likes of Pinky Beecroft, Tom Sampson and Adam Spencer. Really amazing listen, and i'm poo poo at podcasts.

Hughesy can gently caress right off out of here.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
You can get early bird parking in the CBD for about $15 at some places, but the problem is getting in and out of the city, which is a nightmare if you're coming from the outer suburbs.

Trains still should be fine for most people though. Taking Caroline Springs as an example, there is a huge park-and-ride station at Watergardens (about 5-10 minutes drive from Caroline Springs, depending on what part of it you live in), which gets you into the CBD in about 30 minutes. You could go from your front door to the CBD in less than an hour, for the price of 5km's worth of petrol and a Zone 2 Myki Pass (Which will become a Zone 1 pass after the election, dropping the price from about $12 to about $7). The problem in this case isn't lack of access to transport infrastructure, but snotty suburbanites who think they're too good for public transport when they've got a perfectly good Rav4 sitting in the driveway.

Mernda is a different story because you would have to drive to South Morang station (up to about 20 minutes) and then another 50 minutes or so to Flinders Street). Driving would suck too because the main road from Mernda into the city is pretty much 45km of congestion. When the next generation of urban planners are learning about how Melbourne become such a lovely place to live for non-millionaires, Mernda will be exhibit A.

Most of my partner's extended family live in the outer west, and I was really shocked to find the anti-public transport attitudes that seem to be prevalent out that way. Like, people proudly bragging that they haven't been on a train for 15 years. Where I live, people would be more likely to brag about not owning a car.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Abbott announced a MH17 memorial to be erected in the gardens of Parliament House. Dude's shameless.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Abbott announced a MH17 memorial to be erected in the gardens of Parliament House. Dude's shameless.

Presumably he will get Gina to write the epitaph. The plane in Ukraine falls mainly on the plain, or something to that effect.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I dunno, it seems pretty budget conscious.

A single burning plane statue could be used for all kinds of memorials depending on the day:

MH17 memorial
F35 memorial
Australian research memorial
University student future prospects memorial
Tony Abbott approval rating memorial
Jacqui Lambie political career memorial

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Was trying to buy Metro Redux for XBox today and came across this Outlast cover art which looks surprisingly like Abbott.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WA has already established (Police pursuit strategy) that 'tough on' involves the occasional human sacrifice. Just add it to Australians_Are_Excrement%WA.Txt

That was during his equally self serving 'condolence motion' yesterday.

It does however not gel well with other 'get tough' rhetoric that he's making GBS threads out.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/us-australia-plan-for-tackling/5699042

quote:

US-Australia plan for tackling Islamic State to go before UN next month

Wednesday 27 August 2014 7:36AM

Foreign minister Julie Bishop yesterday spoke with the US Secretary of State John Kerry about a response to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and the government continues its hardline rhetoric on home-grown terrorism.

Bishop told parliament that Australia and the US have a plan for restricting the reach of the Islamic State in Iraq which will be presented to the UN next month.
You'll have to listen to the audio to get to the bits I'm referencing.

Bishop basically said that the threat to Australian lives (current casualty count 0.0) was such that we should go to war against the ISIS 'terrorists'. Surely this would mean that we should be planning on taking action in the Ukraine, the place where Australian lives were actually lost?

Although she didn't follow it up Fran Kelly actually did a great job in leading her into a trap. Kelly mentioned that one of the figures on the known AusSec poo poo list was allowed to leave the country even though they had well know 'terrorist' connections. In dodging the question Bishop stated that it was therefore imperative that all Australians submit to more invasive screening. Either she is utterly oblivious or didn't realise just how stupid it made her look.

Nearly as stupid as Turnbull and his 'cheaper, faster' Duffband cost benefit analysis. I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty but it seems to exclude any of the over time maintenance and running costs of the node infrastructure. A winning strategy if you are really looking hard at it because you care about the sdf;jodfsabghujdafbvjdfcvnsui lfghifw;GBDSILD.

OK back to suicide watch for me.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Laserface posted:

Was trying to buy Metro Redux for XBox today and came across this Outlast cover art which looks surprisingly like Abbott.

Solid motivational. 10/10.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Haters Objector posted:

Trains still should be fine for most people though. Taking Caroline Springs as an example, there is a huge park-and-ride station at Watergardens (about 5-10 minutes drive from Caroline Springs, depending on what part of it you live in), which gets you into the CBD in about 30 minutes....Mernda is a different story because you would have to drive to South Morang station (up to about 20 minutes) and then another 50 minutes or so to Flinders Street).

Both car parks will be full before 7:30am, and I think South Morang gets full before 7:00am. Useful if your work day starts before 8am, but not so much after that. Better than the roads mind you. I've got a new job in Port Melbourne that requires me to go via the ring road, Tullamarine and then Citylink where I get to pay for the privilege of driving down the worst road in Melbourne.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 27, 2014

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Cartoon posted:

Nearly as stupid as Turnbull and his 'cheaper, faster' Duffband cost benefit analysis. I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty but it seems to exclude any of the over time maintenance and running costs of the node infrastructure.
Also the costs of pit remediation and laying additional copper if getting everyone on a minimum 25M/? is your goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ahahaha, he is trying to milk this for all its worth. But so far every idea/plan he has had MH17 has backfired badly.

• Locked thread