Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
Actually, if it's not too much to ask, any of you guys here that have forum accounts mind making some noise in the map thread? Changing the zones around to make new maps is piss-easy and while I don't have much faith in Eugen anymore, even they should be able to recognize how good of an idea this is if we can generate some public support for it.

The lack of good non-naval maps is easily the #1 problem with this game.

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=47215

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RangerPL posted:

Shame the thread died when I got banned. People would rather talk about tank autoloaders than something that would actually make the game better for everyone.

Gronank almost made a map zone editor. Figure out the last piece of format and I'm sure he'll finish it. Then you can redraw all zones and rework all reinforcement routes which should give the game a bit of fresh air.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd put money on the SK one being the K9 Thunder or something close to that. Blue Dragon needs a modern Arty piece.

At a loss for what the Canada or Aussie ones could be. Not that there isn't a bunch they both need, but there's not much historically to add.

..Unless we get the Chimera Mk.2 :getin:

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Hob_Gadling posted:

Gronank almost made a map zone editor. Figure out the last piece of format and I'm sure he'll finish it. Then you can redraw all zones and rework all reinforcement routes which should give the game a bit of fresh air.

Well, that still leaves the problem of distribution. We can make all the custom maps we want, but since there's no steam workshop or anything of the sort, we'd be the only ones playing them. That's why I think it's worth bringing this idea forward, no matter how intransigent and stubborn Eugen can be.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

RangerPL posted:

Well, that still leaves the problem of distribution. We can make all the custom maps we want, but since there's no steam workshop or anything of the sort, we'd be the only ones playing them. That's why I think it's worth bringing this idea forward, no matter how intransigent and stubborn Eugen can be.

Yeah, I threw a post up, we'll see if that gets anywhere.

I just realized I have 745 posts on that forum :negative:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've been out of the game for three months, what is OP in the current meta so I can spam the hell out of it like a whore? Cluster/napalm artillery?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RangerPL posted:

Well, that still leaves the problem of distribution.

Eh, fair enough. Drinking beer is more fun anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, so besides the Scandinavian DLC, there's gonna be another unit pack DLC? Oh god yes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

RangerPL posted:

That's exactly what I suggested in this thread, even made some mock-ups: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=47215

Shame the thread died when I got banned. People would rather talk about tank autoloaders than something that would actually make the game better for everyone.

Su-27IB (Su-34) maybe? The Soviets could use a heavy bomber that isn't overpriced garbage *cough*Il-102*cough*

The gently caress did they ban you for? Being continually right?

I'll throw a post there too.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Can anyone show me a good Czech deck? I've been playing with one myself, but I can't seem to get it right.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Mazz posted:

I just realized I have 745 posts on that forum :negative:

I have 1909. In some ways I'm glad for the ban, because I was spending too much time on there and getting irrationally angry over how stupid some people are.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

RangerPL posted:

I have 1909. In some ways I'm glad for the ban, because I was spending too much time on there and getting irrationally angry over how stupid some people are.

That's what caused me to quit posting there. Devs don't care and the brown sea is oh-so-stupid.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Mortabis posted:

I've been out of the game for three months, what is OP in the current meta so I can spam the hell out of it like a whore? Cluster/napalm artillery?

The new artillery is good, but the clincher is having a couple of armoured and mech decks bringing a critical mass of vetted stuff with AGM planes in tow; we tend to win the openers nowadays. Good goon teams work out the right mix of decks for the map before the match starts, it makes things go a lot smoother against other teams.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd put money on the SK one being the K9 Thunder or something close to that. Blue Dragon needs a modern Arty piece.

At a loss for what the Canada or Aussie ones could be. Not that there isn't a bunch they both need, but there's not much historically to add.

I hope Canada is getting LAV-IIIs; it would go well with the rest of the motorized infantry in the deck be a great addition to commonwealth and the game in general. If they want to go totally nuts they can give Abrams to the ANZACs.

IMO the best addition to USA would be Bradley ADATs, it would give you a great multirole AA unit to push up with the tanks. Chaps beings totally unarmored and HAWKs being so slow makes you rely on PIVADs which are RAD and outranged by Hinds. They said it's not a prototype unit, so it might be Rolands, which would be just as good.

Kind of wondering what other nations might get though; Type 95 APCs for Japan? Type 96 MBT for PRC? What will they possibly add to USSR besides a heavy bomber?

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

At a loss for what the Canada or Aussie ones could be. Not that there isn't a bunch they both need, but there's not much historically

I recall that they where looking at a ANZAC ASF f/a-18, which would be handy given that the F-4a where mainly used as a stop gap bomber till we got the F-111s.

That said, a M1 or some kind of survivable/good AT asset would fill the gaps in the force a hell of a lot better.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just say 'gently caress it' to the timeline and give Canada Leo 2's, it's not like they haven't done it before :canada:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

isnt there some weird LAV ADATS looking thing in Act of Aggression teasers?

Wonder if that may be what the US gets

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Generation Internet posted:

Just say 'gently caress it' to the timeline and give Canada Leo 2's, it's not like they haven't done it before :canada:

The timeline is a stupid joke anyway. It's at best a loose guideline that Eugen occasionally follows when it feels like it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Dandywalken posted:

isnt there some weird LAV ADATS looking thing in Act of Aggression teasers?

Wonder if that may be what the US gets

That's Canadian actually, if it's actually an ADATS on a LAV. I don't think that was built until like 2006 though, but they don't seem to care much with Canada.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 27, 2014

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Generation Internet posted:

It's a decent idea but the stupid coalitions mean that Commonwealth would then have access to both Challengers and Leopard 2s, which would turn them into even more of a mini-mixed NATO.

Germany doesn't get a Eurofighter or PzH-2000 for the same reason.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm kind of hoping they do give Canada Leo 2s, because that could mean the Scandinavians could be getting them also.

Because otherwise they'll be literally the only coalition without a heavy tank :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukip posted:

The new artillery is good, but the clincher is having a couple of armoured and mech decks bringing a critical mass of vetted stuff with AGM planes in tow; we tend to win the openers nowadays. Good goon teams work out the right mix of decks for the map before the match starts, it makes things go a lot smoother against other teams.

You actually got the opening figured out? That makes me want to come back.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't know how many times I have cause someone to immediately quit with a well-timed cluster Aardvark run. Bombs are a huge advantage in the beginning of the round where usually the targeted convoy are the ONLY units the opposing person has on the map.

You know what I would really like from the DLC? Re-role Light Infantry as shock and give them an M249 and AT4 and set them as 10 points. Give Marines '90s the SMAW. Swap Delta Force with Rangers, Rangers being a 10-man elite infantry unit with an M249, Gustav M3, and XM4 (XM4 research began in '88, and the 75th has a history of getting toys early like the SCAR); Delta will be an elite 10-man recon squad better suited for long range probing and disruption vs Rangers' direct action capability.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Light infantry I could see but unless USA is getting some other ATGM the dragon is better than nothing. At least it's got some stand off range for popping IFVs.

Marines with SMAWs is something I see a lot but considering Marines '90 are among the best Marine units already I'm not convinced. The M72 line could use a little love but the 875m range on the A4 counts for a lot and marines actually carry enough shots to make up for its short comings. Overall though I really don't think making something better than the Haebyung '90, with a better machinegun, better transports and better availability is a good idea or even necessary. They would be VDV90, but so much worse. Marines do need LAVs back though, or at least some other fast ground transport.

Shock rangers are fine but I really don't think USA needs a second ELITE RECON unit. Hell they really don't need 3 Recon infantry units. Just make cav scouts available in all decks or something.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If they gave Marines a LAV (yeah, squad size--whatever) that would be great progress. Giving the US shock infantry with CQC and a SMAW in a decent land transport--basically, giving the US a Pgrens90 clone--would be a hell of a change to the US ground game.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

We essentially win with large mixed mech/armor formations slow pushing at start now, maybe backed up by a few high end jets or helicopters to act as spoilers. Depending on which exact Goons are playing in a game, we have a few different, really solid unit/deck mixes for start. PACt arty also isn't quite as bad as it was immediately post-DLC, as some of the napalm launchers were removed and they massively toned back SPAAGS, so PACT players can't get away with taking two cards of AA and filling the rest up with rocket arty anymore.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The scandiboo peoples will gain a respectable heavy tank. As for the USA, I don't know what they are getting, but I'm willing to bet that dragons are involved somehow.

*Actually, I take it back; it's got nothing to do with Dragons. Think :911:

Mukip fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 27, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

From the forums:

"MadMat" posted:

New unit types are:
- 1 infantry squad.
- 2 planes.
- 2 IFV.
- 1 APC.
- 1 SPAAG.
- 1 SP-Mortar.
- 1 Heavy SAM.
- 1 Light SAM.
- 1 TD.
- 1 SPG.

Models are:
- 1 is a copycat.
- 3 are variants.
- 8 are new models (including the infantry).

Only 2 are unfielded prototypes, although several others will be classified as such due to their service date.

... and 1 is a super-hero ...

Today's unit was apparently the K9 Thunder for SK, so that's the SPG down.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
They've also revealed the Marder II (50mm gun, no ATGM), so that is one IFV done.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Because what West German mech *really* needed was another, better IFV to put its six cards of pgrens in.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I was gonna say that the Swedes were looking good as an alternative with their (existing) Strvf 9040's after the Scandi DLC, but they already got upstaged.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The Swedes don't fill their excellent (though expensive) IFV's with hordes of cheap, high vet shock infantry, though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TsarZiedonis posted:

Because what West German mech *really* needed was another, better IFV to put its six cards of pgrens in.

I'm a huge fan of it, it's an addition that is realistic, plays to the nations strengths and will be fun to use ( a bmpt with a comvat autocannon and panzergrens inside). If the rest of the additions are as cool and useful as the marder 2 and k9 it will be a great dlc.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

OctaMurk posted:

If the rest of the additions are as cool and useful as the marder 2 and k9 it will be a great dlc.

The Marder 2 is the standout unit of the DLC by a long shot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The fun part about the Marder II there is the lack of ATGM is actually a great thing, because the strength of the Marder has nothing to do with carrying 3-4 milans. It saves you an extra 10 points this way, and 90% of the use of a marder currently has absolutely nothing to do with the missiles.

The thing is going to be BTR-T levels of armored and have the a gun comparable to the COMVAT. So ridiculous tacked on top of the rest of that decks' strengths.

And Kip, if your telling me USA got another airplane I'm going to be pretty sad. Especially if it's just a rerolled ASF F-18 instead of just retooling the one of the current Marine ones.

Also, the thing about US infantry is we don't need a DLC pack to get a rerolled/retolled Rangers/Marines. We could for a Delta '90, but if the shouting was loud enough they would just do it in a patch like they always have.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 27, 2014

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

I'm a huge fan of it, it's an addition that is realistic, plays to the nations strengths and will be fun to use ( a bmpt with a comvat autocannon and panzergrens inside). If the rest of the additions are as cool and useful as the marder 2 and k9 it will be a great dlc.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the Marder 2 will be great and it makes sense that the Germans will get a proto version of it, but... Did West Germany really need an even better Mech game? This is a problem perhaps that is almost every other nation being deficient in mech play as much as it is that the FRG is overpowered.

The K9 is great though. I love Blue Dragons and try to make them work at tryharding whenever I can, but up until now they've completely lacked any worthwhile artillery. hell, even their mortars are rear end.

edit: Yeah Mazz, my current FRG deck is 6 cards of elite Pgrens in either M113's or the cheapest Marder 1, except for one card of the Marder 1A3's with missiles. It's incredibly strong to lead with the Marder 1's, backfill (and cross rivers) with the 113's, and keep a few Marder 1A3's in the rear, with the Lepoards (But still able to do that great move/shoot/drop Pgrens off IFV thing). I'll bet the Marder 2 will just replace one card of Pgren 90s in Marder 1's, and make for an even more brutal opening mech push.

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mazz posted:

The fun part about the Marder II there is the lack of ATGM is actually a great thing, because the strength of the Marder has nothing to do with carrying 3-4 milans. It saves you an extra 10 points this way, and 90% of the use of a marder currently has absolutely nothing to do with the missiles.

The thing is going to be BTR-T levels of armored and have the a gun comparable to the COMVAT. So ridiculous tacked on top of the rest of that decks' strengths.

And Kip, if your telling me USA got another airplane I'm going to be pretty sad. Especially if it's just a rerolled ASF F-18 instead of just retooling the one of the current Marine ones.

Also, the thing about US infantry is we don't need a DLC pack to get a rerolled/retolled Rangers/Marines. We could for a Delta '90, but if the shouting was loud enough they would just do it in a patch like they always have.

Yeah, US infantry could be solved by moving Rangers to the infantry tab and making them shock inf or something. Maybe the new unit is a Javelin? :pray: haha who am I kidding, that would make too much sense.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
While mech does take it over the top, the sheer cost/effectiveness of PGrens right now means even a standard FRG deck can take 3 PG'90, a card of FSJ'90 (in Dorniers you get 10), and either another card of FSJ/PG or a support AA/AT team and still field 40-50 infantry that is superior to basically everything but a heavy Spetznaz/Li'J USSR deck. If I know what map we're playing and where I'm going, I can swap that last card out on the fly during the countdown. So even outside of mech, the Marder II in place of a 1 or 1A3 card is going to be a big deal, simply because you just added a BMPT for all intents and purposes in the areas you'll need it.

Spetznaz in those woods? Don't send your infantry, send the 7 AV APC in first.

Mortabis posted:

Yeah, US infantry could be solved by moving Rangers to the infantry tab and making them shock inf or something. Maybe the new unit is a Javelin? :pray: haha who am I kidding, that would make too much sense.

Yeah, another possibility could be giving riflemen '90 the Diggers treatment: give them a CQC M249 and jump the cost up by 5 points. Then again :lol: at PGrens costing the same thing. But with a PGrens nerf the idea is more interesting, US get the availability buff of having that type of slightly better line infantry, but at slight cost premium.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Did anyone mention that the RH202 is one of the best autocannons now? It's gone from poo poo tier to outclassing the 2A72 (which honestly isn't anything special anymore, vaguely above average perhaps). Also it's on a dirt cheap, well armoured IFV, carrying what is arguably the best-in-game infantry, which are also dirt cheap?

Pgrens and/or marders really deserve a nerf.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Shanakin posted:

Did anyone mention that the RH202 is one of the best autocannons now? It's gone from poo poo tier to outclassing the 2A72 (which honestly isn't anything special anymore, vaguely above average perhaps). Also it's on a dirt cheap, well armoured IFV, carrying what is arguably the best-in-game infantry, which are also dirt cheap?

Pgrens and/or marders really deserve a nerf.

Really? I guess now that I think of it, those Marder's have been scything through infantry and light vehicles lately.

As much as it would wreck my NATO game, I'm inclined to agree. Especially when you realize that the GDR, PACT's nominal mech equivalent to FRG mech, only gets three cards of Moto Schutzhen '90 in BMP-2's, which cost 5 points more than pgrens in a Marder 1 and are worse in every way.

• Locked thread