Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

If your SO doesn't like garlic it may be time to sever.

I don't think a relationship devoid of garlic is meant to last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Your significant other will thank you! :wink:

I'm single and have nothing in the horizon :smug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pete Shumlin has defeated primary challengers Brooke Paige and Doug Racine to remain on the ballot as the Democratic candidate for Governor of Vermont.

Scott Milne put down a Libertarian write-in challenge from Dan Feliciano to be the Republican nominee for that post.

I wanted to laugh at Dan, because of couse I wanted to laugh at a Libertarian write-in candidate, but his platform isn't the funny version of Libertarianism, just the boring version. His only real issue is repealing the Vermont single-payer healthcare bill, which is also the top issue of the state's Republican party.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

His only real issue is repealing the Vermont single-payer healthcare bill, which is also the top issue of the state's Republican party.

How is that going up there?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zeitgueist posted:

How is that going up there?

It can't be implemented until 2017, and only then with a waiver from HHS, thanks to Obamacare. I'm sure President Cruz will be very accommodating in this matter.

Because it can't take effect until then, most of the details of the program have yet to be finalized. The state spent most of its energy last year getting a PPACA exchange set up, which will be used to build the enrollment infrastructure for the single-payer program.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's been so long that I can't remember the answer to this, but for what dumbass reason did PPACA require/encourage states to set up their own "exchanges" (i.e. loving web sites with lots of API calls and some matching logic)?

America and its loving laboratories of democracy is one of the dumbest loving things that I can see in retrospect with some time apart. Okay, we're blessed with the gift of 50 quasi-independent states, but do we really need to double down on that blundering legacy at every turn?

EDIT: Wait, hold on, this is going to end up being about insurance being regulated differently (and therefore having different bullshit products) in each of the states isn't it? Something that doesn't in any way necessitate 50 web sites.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ReindeerF posted:

It's been so long that I can't remember the answer to this, but for what dumbass reason did PPACA require/encourage states to set up their own "exchanges" (i.e. loving web sites with lots of API calls and some matching logic)?

Cause that's what the industry wanted and they wrote the legislation?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ReindeerF posted:

Is it actually legally possible for the Federal government to centralize all health care stuff administration under its authority?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Randler posted:

Is it actually legally possible for the Federal government to centralize all health care stuff administration under its authority?

Yes. It requires removing the words "over 65" from an amendment to title XVIII the Social Security Act.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm sure would have been a legal way to present any plan from any state, yeah, if they wanted to. The various exchange contracts and so on would still have to be state by state, as would provisioning and anything else, but there would have been some easy way to put it all under one roof legally I'm fairly sure. The web site is not the legal exchange, it's the marketing method through which you access the exchange.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Someone mentioned maple syrup and I just wanted to say that grade B is amazing, it's like the brown sugar of maple syrup.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cheekio posted:

Someone mentioned maple syrup and I just wanted to say that grade B is amazing, it's like the brown sugar of maple syrup.

Correct. Grade B gives the best taste of maple. It is not to be looked down on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Correct. Grade B gives the best taste of maple. It is not to be looked down on.

Only reason I would go to a Whole Foods-esque store. Although the one I got was from Canada.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cheekio posted:

I like Grade B, though depending on how the sugaring season goes it's not always that easy to find.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The best garlic mashers are made in this manner:

Mince/press two-three cloves of garlic into a small sauce pan.
Heat until the garlic is caramelized and dark brown.
Pour heavy cream into the sauce pan and boil gently, until reduced by at least 1/2 volume.

Pour over boiled skin-on Yukon Gold potatoes.

Chop up and throw in some chunks of cold butter.

Mash by hand with a potato masher until just blended. Leave some chunks of potato.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

You are eating God's Mashed Potatoes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Back to food chat, anyone want to guess what this Thai canned good is?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Ketchup?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ReindeerF posted:

Soup?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Negative, it is the Thai concept of tomato pasta sauce.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

So the guy who guessed ketchup was right.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I was about to ask, "red curry"

e: never mind, it didn't have curry powder or coconut milk or the like

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That might be a decent foundation for a bloody mary at least.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Boom goes the dynamite!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

:smaug:

Wait, why are you Tricky Dick now?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Did Joe's avatar just go back in time?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rappaport posted:

LF here we come!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rappaport posted:

Back in time to before someone bought me a different avatar because they thought I would like it.

This has happened to me multiple times.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Well, did you like them?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

made of bees posted:

Well, did you like them?

No!

The Joe Biden avatar was particularly odious because it was the wrong Joe.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Five minutes in the MBK food court and I saw a dozen things odder than sweet pasta sauce, though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

Five minutes in the MBK food court and I saw a dozen things odder than sweet pasta sauce, though.
Thai versions of Western food are a special category of :ughh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'll stop by the Sizzler at Phra Ram 9 today and get some pictures of the menu.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Yes. It requires removing the words "over 65" from an amendment to title XVIII the Social Security Act.

"That's crazy. Medicare taxes would skyrocket!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Joementum posted:

No!

The Joe Biden avatar was particularly odious because it was the wrong Joe.

In fairness, the other Joe's pretty fuckin' odious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like to freak out my SO by sneaking up and eating whole handfuls of raw garlic while she's cooking. Then a few minutes later after she puts down the knife I sneak in and kiss her.

I was at the grocery store the other day and I saw this fragile old man in flannel who had nothing but bread labeled "Extra-Dark Jewish Rye" and gefeltefish in his cart. That might be me, in the future.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Extra-Dark Jewish Rye owns, especially if you can get it Lithuanian

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I dont like strong bread. I dont really like bread, I prefer rice.

I hope that I can send my impending child on a torturous journey of cross-cultural confusion. Korean fusion tacos with watermelon siracha in your lunch bag motherfucker!!! Freak out all the kindergarteners with your gross rear end breath.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What's Alan Alda up to these days? He might just be able to make 2016 a shoe-in for republicans.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hedera Helix posted:

Olive oil is amazing and fish/seafood (particularly smelly things like tuna and shirmp) are not amazing. So there.

From a while back, but if you can smell your seafood you done hosed up in the purchasing. When purchasing make sure your seafood has no odor. If you can't find any seafood like that it means you made the wrong life choice of living in a landlocked area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You're all a bunch of decadent bourgeois scum. True proles eat brown bread that comes out of a can.

• Locked thread