Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Freak Futanari posted:

This was a pretty good Paradox Space, so if my calculations are correct we will now have three more weeks of KC Green and A Fun Day For Fartfucker before we get another good one.
Personally I think A Fun Day For Fartfucker would redeem all of the KC Green comics we've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Let's be honest: we're all just passing time until A Fun Day For KC Green comes out.

In the meantime, this looks like it might be fun.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I already foresee great things from this Dave.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You don't just critique a DM's adventure before it even starts, that's just bad form. Do you have any idea how much time does it take to put the whole thing together?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like 5 minutes, if they're doing it right

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
every time I see Dave in one of these things I figure it will be Bad because pretty much no one can actually write Dave.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
writing dave is pretty easy

you just have to ramble and make stupid poo poo up as you go along like some kind of maladjusted miniature hipster storyteller

and be funny

that last part is why i cant write dave

or write at all really

i think i invalidated my own opening statement there

call the rhetoric paramedics because im hemorrhaging babble and nonsense

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tollymain posted:

like 5 minutes, if they're doing it right
What follows is my opinion on the subject of dungeon crawls, which has little to no bearing on the current PXS update. Feel free to skip it if you are not interested.

Even if the whole thing is just going to be a hack n' slash slaughterfest, you've still got to create interesting encounters that manage to be challenging without murdering the characters the moment they step through the first door. Ideally you should have at least one encounter that highlights the abilities of each of the PCs.

If you want to do an halfway decent job, you should explain what exactly your dungeon is and consider that when you pick its inhabitants it: the ruin of an old, cursed abbey is going to have a very different layout and menagerie than a series of caverns where a family of dragons has taken residence.

If you want to graduate from "decent" to "good", I'd say you need at least a couple of non-combat encounters (cave-ins, gorges, curses, surrendering orcs that spark moral debates between the thief and tha paladin...) and, most importantly, sweeping descriptions of the place, with its unmoving air and claustrophobic darkness, filled either with bizarre rock formations or granite statues of forgotten kings.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tollymain posted:

writing dave is pretty easy

you just have to ramble and make stupid poo poo up as you go along like some kind of maladjusted miniature hipster storyteller

and be funny

that last part is why i cant write dave

or write at all really

i think i invalidated my own opening statement there

call the rhetoric paramedics because im hemorrhaging babble and nonsense

Please don't roleplay in this, the Homestuck thread for discussing comics about Dave roleplaying.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I dunno about Dave but we can already tell that this writer isn't smart enough to write Rose. Unless her seer powers are telling her that there's going to be something whimsically amusing about this particular dungeon

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Suaimhneas posted:

I dunno about Dave but we can already tell that this writer isn't smart enough to write Rose. Unless her seer powers are telling her that there's going to be something whimsically amusing about this particular dungeon

Neither Rose nor Terezi, who both seem to think that the word "droll" is pejorative.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Although to be fair, "Droll" could easily be a synonym for "stupid" in this setting

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
droll seems like a pretty good word to use sarcastically

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"How droll" is a pretty good sarcastic put-down for someone being very dry.

I always enjoy seeing stuff that happened during the three-year journey, so I'm willing to cut this Paradox Space some slack until we see another few pages.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It could be terrible and it'll still be worth it for WV there.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dave's dwarf knight has already made this PS worthwhile.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Freak Futanari posted:

Dave's dwarf knight has already made this PS worthwhile.

I agree

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thirded.

Also, character writing is pretty good for Terezi and Karkat.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

You're too anime to drive, Kanaya

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I'm stealing this opening for my next campaign.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ok Kanaya's special snowflake character and Karkat's true neutral half undead crab sandwich have pulled this one through. God bless America.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It warms my hosed up retard heart to say that this is actually a good Paradox Space. It's funny, and made me LOL (Laugh out loud) and might even be funny for two more pages.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Those do all feel like the characters that those players would roll up, so kudos there. Terezi having an undead crab sandwich ready for Karkat is also right on the money.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Really liking this PXS. One of the best so far I think.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

This is the second role playing arc that is shaping up to be pretty good. Maybe this is the real well they should be going to instead of the KC Faces.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

It warms my hosed up retard heart to say that this is actually a good Paradox Space. It's funny, and made me LOL (Laugh out loud) and might even be funny for two more pages.

It makes me unreasonable upset that they are using '4's as 'A's but are using the 4 that doesnt look like an A.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

KoB posted:

It makes me unreasonable upset that they are using '4's as 'A's but are using the 4 that doesnt look like an A.

Agreed. This has cost me quite a bit of sleep over the last few nights, and i hope they plan to fix it soon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rose's still got it (as long as she's sober).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well written, well drawn, and genuinely funny. A Good Paradox Space Webcomic

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rose's still got it (as long as she's sober).

Which raises the point of when this is supposed to be. It's on the meteor, far enough in that Rose and Kanaya are apparently dating, but Rose is still sober…?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

frozentreasure posted:

Which raises the point of when this is supposed to be. It's on the meteor, far enough in that Rose and Kanaya are apparently dating, but Rose is still sober…?

Rose probably wasn't drunk 100% of the time for two years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Or, more likely, the writer forgot about the "drunk" thing, and the writing improved for it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
or keeping things 100% canon and perfectly aligned with the source material is actually a really insufferable way to go about making these things.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I can't loving believe this. A fanmade semi-official non-canon Homestuck internet comic straying minutely from the Homestuck canon... is this what we've been reduced to? LOLling at loving non-canon poo poo? loving disgusting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Alcoholics aren't always drunk all the time (though some surely are). It's the same way Terezi's playing a game with the group rather than soaked in Faygo and Gamzee's face paint.

I also sympathize with Terezi at the end there, I've had more than one game session broken up because everyone got distracted by a movie or started showing each other youtube videos or something.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
I felt like this comic could have gone on for at least several more pages that filled with goofy RPing(and more arguing) between the characters before quitting. It just feels like a funny set-up and then ends abruptly. To be honest I wish this comic went on for two weeks than the 100dmuseum one.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

I felt like this comic could have gone on for at least several more pages that filled with goofy RPing(and more arguing) between the characters before quitting. It just feels like a funny set-up and then ends abruptly. To be honest I wish this comic went on for two weeks than the 100dmuseum one.

Agreed. Dave's dwarf deserved more screentime, IMO.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

I suspect the author couldn't come up with content to fill an actual game. I'd rather it end here a bit abruptly than get drawn out for several pages of not being funny. As it is we got a drat good Paradox Space.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Tenebrais posted:

As it is we got a drat good Paradox Space.

Well, we got a drat good setup. Prototyped was a drat good setup as well, and the punchline there was literally the same: "Everyone's here, it's the last page, and I already came up with the funniest stuff, so let's all just watch a movie or something, I dunno."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Homestuck comics, going out of their way to NOT show you the actually interesting poo poo.... hmmmmm.... wtf.....?