Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You see I understand the necessity of a NAP. Even fought wars and built up trusted alliances in the few games I've played (and would like to play, so holy gently caress upload your Pretender Amhotep).

Backstabbing happens though. Vague wording happens. poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

I Love You! posted:

Look at these guys who don't get it at all

There's only one winner. But there's like 14 losers. And there's only a handful of people in any given game who actually have a chance of winning - I'm talking like 3-5 players that are going to make it to the late-midgame with any hope. And being able to forge moderately reliable alliances is one of the best ways to be sure to be one of those people.

Give me a game where I know I will spawn next to a neighbor whom I can trust to a moderate or long-term NAP and I will show you two players that will be in contention in the very lategame with an excellent chance of pulling in a W.

Its more the fact that NAPs are stupid because they have no mechanical benefit for either side. It really is up to trust. Sure, some people who keep them game after game can be trusted.

But why trust people when you can do other things that cement the relation better? Keeping gem/item trades going. Dividing up a neighbours land. Promise assassin/teleport spell support. All of these kinds of things actually help the other person, making them actively want to keep you in the game longer.

Don't make NAPs, trade and kill third parties instead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Is it worth eight bajillion gems, research away from Evocation and Thaumaturgy when your troops are nothing special, and all those mage turns, though?

Firebirds are conj3 and with those events he is getting thousands of gold and many more gems than he put into the initial firebird investment.

So yes. Functionally it is like an old school dom3 clam factory. Make them early and then use them later to fuel a monstrous endgame.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Also firebirds only cost 2 fire gems (arguably the least valuable gems) to summon and all your alchemists have the necessary paths to summon one.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slaan posted:

Its more the fact that NAPs are stupid because they have no mechanical benefit for either side. It really is up to trust. Sure, some people who keep them game after game can be trusted.

But why trust people when you can do other things that cement the relation better? Keeping gem/item trades going. Dividing up a neighbours land. Promise assassin/teleport spell support. All of these kinds of things actually help the other person, making them actively want to keep you in the game longer.

Don't make NAPs, trade and kill third parties instead.

Wronnnnnggggg do both

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

scalded schlong posted:

Hey, the Agartha bonus HP for constructs looks like it stacks with Gift of Health!

I've got a N9 bless, too :q:

Next on your to-do list:

Prophetize the Kin-Breaker

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
How to Dominions 4 Diplomacy, by Flavahbeast:

NAP N-1 neighbors
Kill the -1
Repeat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fornadan posted:

Next on your to-do list:

Prophetize the Kin-Breaker

My first anti-AI marble oracle supercombatant actually got heroic toughness, but I kept the same prophet throughout the whole game - it was just a compstomp, I wanted to see how MA Agartha played because I always kinda remembered them as being the weakest age.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Neruz posted:

Well considering that Eagle Eyes, Aim and Wind Guide all provide the same +4 prec buff and your guys are down to 7 prec in storm it stands to reason that in fact casting Aim would take them to 11 prec which is sufficiently accurate for thunder strikes into large enemy armies.

9, actually. Storm halves precision.

I take the points about positioning though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jabarto posted:

9, actually. Storm halves precision.

I believe it should actually come out to 10 overall, not sure exactly when the storm debuff is applied and how it rounds but I am told by a person on IRC that it comes out to 10.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Neruz posted:

I believe it should actually come out to 10 overall, not sure exactly when the storm debuff is applied and how it rounds but I am told by a person on IRC that it comes out to 10.

You may be right, I'll have to try it again and check.

Also, I'm 95% certain that I just had a Sidhe Lord get KO'd by a heat aura when he had 10 fire resistance, so I'm starting to suspect my game is buggy.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the last point of precision comes from tstrike's inherent +2 precision bonus, so it won't be visible on your sidhe lord's stat sheet

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

People in the thread for the Let's Play were talking about the script that the Annuaki of the Sky runs in throne provinces, and it is pretty nasty. I just saw what the Titan of Heaven lays down, which is round one fog warriors, into arrow fend. Level three thrones can be pretty tough to take now it looks like.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is it common for Dominions 4 to CTD a lot with Multiplayer? I have it both on my Mac Laptop and my Windows PC but I cannot play it at all on my Mac. Everytime I go into play, the game crashes. It also took forever to download the map on my Windows PC (bad packet errors constantly crashing).

It appears to be working on my PC but I wanted to play it on my Mac as well so I could do turns on the train.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Check to see if someone's been casting Transformation.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
:gonk: I have the worst luck. I've never heard of profused bleeding but the first hit against my SC caused it and he died during the first battle.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lord Windy posted:

:gonk: I have the worst luck. I've never heard of profused bleeding but the first hit against my SC caused it and he died during the first battle.

I really hope you blind expanded on turn 1.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Decrepus posted:

I really hope you blind expanded on turn 1.

I always do. It wasn't even a difficult spawn, 20 random crap dudes and like 10 heavy cavalry. A dom 9 dragon should have eaten them for breakfast.

I'm getting the feeling there is a rule I don't know :downs:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Heavy cav is pretty strong.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord Windy posted:

I always do. It wasn't even a difficult spawn, 20 random crap dudes and like 10 heavy cavalry. A dom 9 dragon should have eaten them for breakfast.

Nah that can just happen sometimes, it's why I prefer not to go up against heavy cav with a pretender unless they're Awe 2 at least.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

If profuse bleeding is like other afflictions, it may be because you attacked into not-friendly dominion and the damage vs total HP rolled profuse bleeding. But then profuse bleeding may not be considered an affliction and may not work like them, so I don't actually know! I try to only attack with my dragon pretender into friendly dominion because I get very sad when my dragon dies.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

If profuse bleeding is like other afflictions, it may be because you attacked into not-friendly dominion and the damage vs total HP rolled profuse bleeding. But then profuse bleeding may not be considered an affliction and may not work like them, so I don't actually know! I try to only attack with my dragon pretender into friendly dominion because I get very sad when my dragon dies.

I am very sad now and I'm sure the nation of Man is currently wondering why they decided to hitch their wagon to that particular dragon.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Try not to attack lizard (curse), amazon (evo magic and skelespam), dark vine, heavy cav, or tier 2/3 thrones with a solo pretender without any magic. Barbarian provinces are give or take.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dragons getting profuse bleeding is just a thing that happens sometimes and there isn't a thing you can do about it. I have it happen in tests from time to time but haven't had the poor luck to have it happen in a real game.

The odds are pretty low even with a good lance hit.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
hey singleplayer-only crew, come join this newbie game

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
also new player crew. new player crew should also join the newbie game

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lord Windy posted:

You keep your dominion bonuses until after combat so you get a lot of extra hp and stuff in addition to the (terribly innacurate) scouting reports by waiting a turn.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also don't send Dragons alone into Heavy Cavalry provinces; Heavy Cav are one of the few indies who can reliably hurt Dragons.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Just posting to confirm me signing up on the game service (username is the same).

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What do you do to recall your pretender?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

What do you do to recall your pretender?

Set anyone that has holy levels to "Call God" it takes 50 points worth of priest levels to call one back so for example 1 level 5 person would take 10 turns on their own and so on.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it takes 50ish turns. not exactly 50

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Like many things in this game, they add a little bit of random numbers to make it all the more confusing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Dark Vines are actually piss easy with a real combat pretender like a Dragon. In Dom 3, fine, dangerous because you'd get paralysed by some arsehole Woodsman and then clubbed to death by normally no-game-having Dark Vines.

Dom 4, woodsmen are much less effective because they have less morale and their weapon is comparatively bad, Dragons are much better because of the 50% close combat breath attack thing.

Crystal, Jade and Garnet Zons are also pretty easy. The Onyx ones with Nightmares are kinda annoying for one turn before their unbelievable fatigue kicks in, but the priests and mages from them are excellent so you might as well have a go with a proper pretender.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Most of the time, the dangerous parts of the dark vine provinces are the dudes spamming blood magic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

Most of the time, the dangerous parts of the dark vine provinces are the dudes spamming blood magic.
Yeah, annoying if you have a bunch of Atavi, not really a big deal with an SC pretender. Even if they cast Sleep Cloud, you've got 18MR.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, annoying if you have a bunch of Atavi, not really a big deal with an SC pretender. Even if they cast Sleep Cloud, you've got 18MR.

18 isn't enough to guarantee safety. If they layer it on you and you fail once or twice you are hosed. Dark vines are mindless and immune to sleep cloud so they will beat you to death. I don't do dark vines with dragons without chaff to attract spells or come help him out in case he gets sleepy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

18 isn't enough to guarantee safety. If they layer it on you and you fail once or twice you are hosed. Dark vines are mindless and immune to sleep cloud so they will beat you to death. I don't do dark vines with dragons without chaff to attract spells or come help him out in case he gets sleepy.

Which reminds me, last time I did a brief test game, my SC Pretender got owned in turn 6 or so against a bunch of indie woodsman blowpipes dudes. Because he was alone, 60 sleep darts were just for him, and with him losing time fighting one or two dudes a bit forward than the rest, the other 58 could fire more and more dudes meanwhile. Net result: a very sleepy Pretender, than finished dead. A bit of cheap chaff would have helped a lot.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So should the human HP pretenders have percentage based school discounts or something to become more useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

amuayse posted:

So should the human HP pretenders have percentage based school discounts or something to become more useful?

Awesomeish Gods gives them a lot of low-level paths and/or large path boosts, so they actually fulfill their role of being the best/most diverse mages at a low cost, but making large blesses inefficient since they don't have many "real" points in magic. I think it works really well.

• Locked thread