Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aagar posted:

This in general is bad with money, but I also have a specific question and this seems as good a topic to post it in.

I was home alone (Ontario, Canada) with my hungry twin toddlers when a guy came to the door passing himself off as someone with my current energy provider. He wanted to see my bill because on the chance that I was being billed improperly, and distracted as I was I stupidly showed him. As soon as he started talking about how I could save I wised up that he was with an energy retailer (Just Energy Conservation Program) I took back my bill, took his pamphlet and sent him on his way (not signing anything, obviously). Then I did some Googling on JE and wow, what a nightmare.

For those not in the know, JE tries to get you to sign over with them so that you get a flat rate on energy (electricity and gas) with the vague promise of savings because "hey prices go up!" while at the same time throwing in a lot of nonsense about green energy and reducing energy usage to lower costs. While it might work out most of the blogs were full of people who ended up paying way more a month than they were before. Add to this their sleazy at-the-door effort to pass themselves off as anything other than an energy retailer.

I realize it was the height of stupid to show him the bill - the twins were hungry and off-the-wall and I just wanted the guy gone. I didn't see him write the account number down, but it doesn't mean he didn't memorize it. And their were stories of unscrupulous agents who would forge your signature and sign you up regardless (I didn't get that vibe - he was just a kid - but who knows?).

I tried calling my current energy provider to block the account, but they said they could not as it would be legal to move the account over (assuming I had legally signed and agreed to the deal). If they do manage to sign me up I would have to fight it with the Ontario Energy Board. The representative I talked to didn't seem worried, as there is also the step of having to confirm with JE that I do want them as a provider (which I would obviously decline).

I guess my question is: is there anything else I can do? I'm not super worried, and I guess if push comes to shove and they do illegally sign me up I can fight it, but if there is something easy to do to head off this fraud at the pass I'd do it.

Any adult* knocking on doors selling things is selling a scam, no exceptions.

*This of course excludes kids doing fundraisers for their school or dance team or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

*This of course excludes kids doing fundraisers for their school or dance team or whatever.

Replace scam with "overpriced bullshit that will give you diabetes and may or may not even fund the activity the company claims it will" and you're spot on.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Our townhouse complex is a magnet for door-to-door salespeople. I think the townhouse layout is more efficient for them- they can knock on more doors, with less walking. And because of this we get everything- religious zealots, energy salespeople, real estate agents, etc.

Recently some young guy came to our door asking us if we wanted some "free-range, organic steaks, completely free of charge". I declined his generous offer, but my neighbour didn't. It turns out that in order to get the "free" meat, you had to buy a year's supply.

Who the heck accepts "free" meat from some stranger who knocked on your door. :confused:

quote:

I still remember the chocolate almond fundraisers our elementary school made us do. If you didn't participate, the teachers would reprimand you (they were obviously competing with each other for stupid, superficial reasons). Looking back, the companies that the school partnered up with were always these shady, pyramid-scheme types that sure as hell have no business recruiting children as their salespeople.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

I still remember the chocolate almond fundraisers our elementary school made us do. If you didn't participate, the teachers would reprimand you (they were obviously competing with each other for stupid, superficial reasons). Looking back, the companies that the school partnered up with were always these shady, pyramid-scheme types that sure as hell have no business recruiting children as their salespeople.

Good with money: Get the awesome jug of chocolate almonds from Costco (they are incredible) and donate directly to the school.
Everyone is better off! (except the shady middleman "fundraiser" company)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

NancyPants posted:

Replace scam with "overpriced bullshit that will give you diabetes and may or may not even fund the activity the company claims it will" and you're spot on.

If selling an item on false pretenses counts as a scam, it's a scam.

This reminds me of magazine crews. Heard of those?
http://www.magcrew.com/
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.magazinesalescrews.com/traveling%20magazine%20sales%20job%20ads.html

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

melon cat posted:

Recently some young guy came to our door asking us if we wanted some "free-range, organic steaks, completely free of charge". I declined his generous offer, but my neighbour didn't. It turns out that in order to get the "free" meat, you had to buy a year's supply.

I was walking home one day and someone tried to sell me steaks out of an ice box in the back of his car.

I didn't even know what to say to that.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Renegret posted:

I was walking home one day and someone tried to sell me steaks out of an ice box in the back of his car.

I didn't even know what to say to that.

I experienced that once. I'm pretty sure it's one of those MLM-ish scams where they have to buy the product themselves so that they can resell it to you. I could tell that the guy must have JUST left one of those "YOU CAN SELL ANYTHING" hype-up meetings.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Folly posted:

I experienced that once. I'm pretty sure it's one of those MLM-ish scams where they have to buy the product themselves so that they can resell it to you. I could tell that the guy must have JUST left one of those "YOU CAN SELL ANYTHING" hype-up meetings.

The only exception to this is buying some of that sweet sweet lobster on the dock as they unload. Someone always has a deal.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

I can't decide if sunnie is worse than using "brekkie" for breakfast.

Sunnies is perfectly acceptable. Saying brekkie is just for people who are bad with money.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

We get these motherfuckers at least once a year, trying to get into our apartment complex and usually succeeding. drat they are persuasive. I hope they come back, I want to threaten to call the cops on them or something.

I had to argue with one that no one reads magazines anymore, everyone has smart phones or tablets.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

melon cat posted:

Who the heck accepts "free" meat from some stranger who knocked on your door. :confused:

A good 90% of the adult film industry, for starters.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

TLG James posted:

We get these motherfuckers at least once a year, trying to get into our apartment complex and usually succeeding. drat they are persuasive. I hope they come back, I want to threaten to call the cops on them or something.

I had to argue with one that no one reads magazines anymore, everyone has smart phones or tablets.

Mag crews probably deserve your pity and sympathy, but yeah, definitely don't invite them in.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Breetai posted:

A good 90% of the adult film industry, for starters.

:drat:

For content:

I once had a co-worker who apparently failed to pay his income taxes for several years and was audited by the IRS to the tune of $10,000 or so. Upon paying this bill off, what was the first thing he did?

If you guessed buy a brand-new car, you're correct.

To top it all off? He was fired three days later :sigh:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TLG James posted:

The story they came with when they almost suckered my dad into some subscriptions was about raising money for a school trip. I saw the name of the company on some of their paperwork, googled it, showed it to my dad, and he immediately started grilling the kid about what school he goes to. "Uh...I'm home schooled." "Wait, I thought you said you went to one of the high schools?" "Well, I did before." and it went downhill from there.

canyoneer posted:

Mag crews probably deserve your pity and sympathy, but yeah, definitely don't invite them in.

Like puppies with rabies.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
YAY! Story time. It's been a while.

I'm a contractor and as with contract work speedbumps happen often. Last week we found out we are going to have to split 51% of our workforce to another company. A deal was cut that would keep us from open compete, so I hear.

Those who will have to go (up in the air at this point) will have their vacation time paid out to them, including any time held over the max amount of 240 hours. A nice gesture that will give most of us a very hefty September (At least 2 paychecks worth for me.) When you start at the new company it obviously means you will have to reaccrue leave. Not really that big of a deal. Especially since the current company was able to negotiate keeping everyone on board and at their current pay rate.

One employee thought this was a travesty. How outrageous they are taking away our leave. Keep in mind this guy goes no where. He takes maybe 5 days off a year. He told our Vice President vehemently how terrible this was and that since "your taking my leave, I'm gonna take it all off before you try and pay me out."

He is seriously using up a month and and a half of leave in spite rather than recieve three bonus checks for the month of august and september. :psyduck:

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

DEMAG posted:

YAY! Story time. It's been a while.

I'm a contractor and as with contract work speedbumps happen often. Last week we found out we are going to have to split 51% of our workforce to another company. A deal was cut that would keep us from open compete, so I hear.

Those who will have to go (up in the air at this point) will have their vacation time paid out to them, including any time held over the max amount of 240 hours. A nice gesture that will give most of us a very hefty September (At least 2 paychecks worth for me.) When you start at the new company it obviously means you will have to reaccrue leave. Not really that big of a deal. Especially since the current company was able to negotiate keeping everyone on board and at their current pay rate.

One employee thought this was a travesty. How outrageous they are taking away our leave. Keep in mind this guy goes no where. He takes maybe 5 days off a year. He told our Vice President vehemently how terrible this was and that since "your taking my leave, I'm gonna take it all off before you try and pay me out."

He is seriously using up a month and and a half of leave in spite rather than recieve three bonus checks for the month of august and september. :psyduck:

On the one hand it is his time to use as he pleases and he should have a choice whether to get paid out or take paid leave.

On the other hand he's a contract worker and that type of thing comes with the territory and the fact that they are willing to pay out over the max shows some unusually good will on the company's behalf.

Still bad with money though.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Mister Nobody posted:

On the one hand it is his time to use as he pleases and he should have a choice whether to get paid out or take paid leave.

On the other hand he's a contract worker and that type of thing comes with the territory and the fact that they are willing to pay out over the max shows some unusually good will on the company's behalf.

Still bad with money though.

I guess I forgot to make it a point that no one at the company is trying to force him to take a pay out, it's in his head. If you want use it all in Sept you can. But 29 out of the 30 of us decided it's financially better to not take leave in the next month and earn as much as we can.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I wouldn't take it all but I would definitely be taking a few days here and there if I had 240hrs. The check would still be nice but it's going to be awhile before you can take any time off if you lose the bank like that.

And gently caress your company for essentially selling you to another company and not negotiating the leave into the bargain for you. That would leave me more than a little resentful of the situation. Glad you still have a job tho.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Aagar posted:

I guess my question is: is there anything else I can do? I'm not super worried, and I guess if push comes to shove and they do illegally sign me up I can fight it, but if there is something easy to do to head off this fraud at the pass I'd do it.

It doesn't seem you have called the police, so there is always that. A couple weeks into every summer I get a media release from the police warning that the energy brokers are out doing possibly shady things again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aristotle Animes posted:

And gently caress your company for essentially selling you to another company and not negotiating the leave into the bargain for you. That would leave me more than a little resentful of the situation. Glad you still have a job tho.

Yeah, this, I would probably try to negotiate with the acquiring company before signing on, not sure if you have already.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

quote:

Here's the kicker and I'll explain the reasoning (I guess you can call it that). A couple months ago I bought a new car. A new mustang. Which after my old car loan brought the total to around 31k. Yea stupid me. Anyway, the reasoning was with the whole mandatory health care thing I was only qualified to get the Obama care stuff which was expensive as hell. I ended up last second being able to get it through work for super cheap. So I thought, well hey since I don't have to pay for that Healthcare I can put it towards a new car! Bad idea. I pay around $550 for the car
About me. I earn $16/hr ending up around 32-35k with overtime. Around ~1900-2200 depending on my paychecks bring home.

I believe we can all agree this person is bad with money.

TL/DR: $31,000 car loan. Yearly income ~$33,000/yr.

EDIT: Link with additional details:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2epzhy/im_in_quite_a_predicament_lots_of_debt_for_my_age/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Drunk rich uncle last night: You need to travel more, get out of the country

Same drunk rich uncle every time I've seen him for the last 10 years: Debt is the worst thing in the world

I don't think rich people comprehend that some people can't afford to drop everything to go bird watch in Cambodia on a moment's notice.

Also last night when I brought up to one of my cousins that government jobs are steady and have great benefits, the same uncle said "EXCUSE ME" and started doing a Fox News rant about how government jobs are for lazy poors. Thanks Uncle Steve, sorry we couldn't make my money off stock scams like you did.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

I always feel really bad for these kids, although some of them are in their early 20's. Last guy that came by I gave him a beer and a water before sending him on his way. I don't know how they always manage to stop by the rare days I have off where I'm in town, its uncanny.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, this, I would probably try to negotiate with the acquiring company before signing on, not sure if you have already.

Well the offer made has to due with the fact that they don't accrue they preload on your job anniversary. So those who just had their anniversary are smoked. They are allowing flex hours and LWOP if they need it.

Their health benefits are just about the same, and they match an additional 1% on 401K. So in all that's not too bad.

Nothing changes for me though. I didn't get a short straw.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DEMAG posted:

Well the offer made has to due with the fact that they don't accrue they preload on your job anniversary. So those who just had their anniversary are smoked. They are allowing flex hours and LWOP if they need it.

Their health benefits are just about the same, and they match an additional 1% on 401K. So in all that's not too bad.

Nothing changes for me though. I didn't get a short straw.

Yeah, I understand the frustration there then, I would likely walk away from any job if I weren't allowed to take leave for ten months and couldn't negotiate anything better than that. I would think most people would be in a reasonable position to negotiate that with the acquiring company though, moreso if you all colluded to demand it. Would they still pay out leave if you quit right after, or is there a clawback?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 27, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

EugeneJ posted:

Same drunk rich uncle every time I've seen him for the last 10 years: Debt is the worst thing in the world

I don't think rich people comprehend that some people can't afford to drop everything to go bird watch in Cambodia on a moment's notice.

Also last night when I brought up to one of my cousins that government jobs are steady and have great benefits, the same uncle said "EXCUSE ME" and started doing a Fox News rant about how government jobs are for lazy poors. Thanks Uncle Steve, sorry we couldn't make my money off stock scams like you did.

Government jobs own hard if you're lucky enough to find a good niche, or if you can get into managerial roles. Also if you aren't particularly bothered by making less than you would in the private sector, generally. And then it will depend on your level of tolerance for meddling HR departments, having way too much loving work to do because your budgets have been frozen since 2005, and getting poo poo on by the media on a daily basis.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

And then it will depend on your level of tolerance for meddling HR departments, having way too much loving work to do because your budgets have been frozen since 2005, and getting poo poo on by the media on a daily basis.
The first two are just as horrible for the private sector unless you're at the very, very top.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, I understand the frustration there then, I would likely walk away from any job if I weren't allowed to take leave for ten months and couldn't negotiate anything better than that. I would think most people would be in a reasonable position to negotiate that with the acquiring company though, moreso if you all colluded to demand it. Would they still pay out leave if you quit right after, or is there a clawback?
I'm still failing to understand. How is paying out accrued leave and then allowing LWOP bad? I can understand why the new contract wouldn't want to take on a legacy liability and the old contract would want to close their books, but I'm clearly missing some point you're making.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

swenblack posted:

I'm still failing to understand. How is paying out accrued leave and then allowing LWOP bad? I can understand why the new contract wouldn't want to take on a legacy liability and the old contract would want to close their books, but I'm clearly missing some point you're making.

My point is that as a worker, if I were told I wasn't allowed to take any leave at all for the next 10 months, I would be pissed and start looking for another job. That could happen if someone's job anniversary was 2 months ago, and the new company didn't give out any leave until the next anniversary 10 months from now. (I haven't ever worked for 10 months with 0 vacation days, sounds awful to me.) The old company is at least trying to do right by them by paying them out, but they ought to have negotiated leave as part of the contract transition. In lieu of that, I would probably try to negotiate it with the acquiring company, preferably with another offer in hand.

Obviously the acquiring company doesn't *want* to take on additional liability, but they would have to if they wanted to keep me working for them. Presumably part of the acquisition is acquiring talent that they have an incentive to try and retain.

This is kind of a silly derail at this point so I'll drop it now.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

My point is that as a worker, if I were told I wasn't allowed to take any leave at all for the next 10 months, I would be pissed and start looking for another job. That could happen if someone's job anniversary was 2 months ago, and the new company didn't give out any leave until the next anniversary 10 months from now. (I haven't ever worked for 10 months with 0 vacation days, sounds awful to me.) The old company is at least trying to do right by them by paying them out, but they ought to have negotiated leave as part of the contract transition. In lieu of that, I would probably try to negotiate it with the acquiring company, preferably with another offer in hand.

Obviously the acquiring company doesn't *want* to take on additional liability, but they would have to if they wanted to keep me working for them. Presumably part of the acquisition is acquiring talent that they have an incentive to try and retain.

This is kind of a silly derail at this point so I'll drop it now.

Well, it's PAID leave. Most companies will let you take unpaid leave so long as you aren't ridiculous about it. So aside from the extra tax withholding on that big payout check, it's probably still a fairly equal. In fact, it's better because you can only spend PTO on time off. You can spend your cash payout however you want. It just feels different because you already have the cash. Bottom line is that it's not inherently bad. It just depends on how the acquiring company handles it.

My bad with money story is me. I've been sitting on a couple of Primerica IRA accounts I opened years ago before I read my first investment book. I never touched them because...well, I don't have a good reason - I'm just lazy. So today, I finally got back to them and wanted to compare their returns with the rest of my portfolio over the last year just to see how bad it was.

Their returns were almost nil. Like $75. If the money had been diversified in my standard way, it would have been around $1000 for just this last year. These accounts are 6 years old. I submitted the paperwork to roll them over and hand delivered it the same day.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Folly posted:

Well, it's PAID leave. Most companies will let you take unpaid leave so long as you aren't ridiculous about it. So aside from the extra tax withholding on that big payout check, it's probably still a fairly equal. In fact, it's better because you can only spend PTO on time off. You can spend your cash payout however you want. It just feels different because you already have the cash. Bottom line is that it's not inherently bad. It just depends on how the acquiring company handles it.

It is the very idea that they want to roll you to zero that would make me very leery of them. If the company came to everyone and had a reason they didn't want to carry the PTO on the books, which would be understandable, along with some scheme to axe it down to 80hrs a piece and pay you out for the rest. Or maybe even something that doesn't hurt those with a big wad of hours so much like cut you down to 40hrs and then you get to keep 30% of what you had left after that. Leave me something, man.

It may all work out just fine but I'm not quick to trust companies that hand sucky deals in which you, the worker, had zero input and say "it'll work, just trust us". Doubly so when they are taking on a group of employees from a former rival where there are bound to be tensions here and there and in that case I would not be surprised to see a couple people get the chop before too long next year.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It's only a problem if you're bad with money... they're paying you in advance for the days and allowing unpaid time off. Just put the money in the bank and 'pay' yourself when you take time off. It sounds like they completely understand how the employees could feel and are at least trying to make it alright. Sure, absorbing all of the time off would make the new employees happier, but it may clash with their existing workforce and cause problems or cries of special treatment. No deal takes place in a vacuum.

If you can't stick it in a savings account until you actually take time off, or are living without a cushion and need the steady bi-weekly pay I can see being upset, but otherwise I don't really get what's bothersome about the arrangement.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sorry to bring up car chat again:

Folly
May 26, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

That post needs :smuggo:

quote:

Stories about people bad with money - The Derails Megathread

Perfect.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Bad with money and even worse with statistics

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

EugeneJ posted:

"You buy I'll fly."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LloydDobler posted:

"You buy I'll fly."

He's been in a mid-life crisis for like a decade.

Never had kids, wife was unable to.

Father died about 8 years ago.

Hates his siblings, his mom's a nag who won't die.

He almost died two months ago - was told to give up alcohol. Got out of hospital, drank, went back to hospital for another month.

Goes on trips with 3 other rich dudes once a year to far reaches of the world. Basically they all saw The Hangover and decided to do that every year in a different country.

Only nice thing family members say about him is "he's very generous". Which he is, to family, but that doesn't keep him from living on a pedestal and blaming Obama for his problems.

It's hard for the not-rich in our family to relate to him in a meaningful way, and that's sad. He's a self-made guy, but instead of staying grounded about it, he looks at his nieces and nephews and judges them for not doing more with life.

If being rich means being a giant rear end in a top hat with a guilt complex that's projected onto others...keep the money.

And I would never accept a plane ticket from him. He wouldn't even comprehend that I couldn't get time off work to travel on his dime. It's so far beyond his scope of reality.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

It's hard for the not-rich in our family to relate to him in a meaningful way, and that's sad. He's a self-made guy, but instead of staying grounded about it, he looks at his nieces and nephews and judges them for not doing more with life.

Does he ever offer sound advice about how you and your cousins can start building wealth, or is he just boisterously spouting platitudes as cognac splashes from his glass? If the former, I'd love to have an uncle like that. The latter can be fun as well if you're on his level drunk. I'd swallow my pride for a comped trip to Vegas in a heartbeat as long as the person wasn't a pedophile or a rapist.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I call and ask someone who does their HOME Insurance and they don't know.

Not knowing who does the insurance for what is likely the biggest investment/asset you own is bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As long as you have insurance... I mean I have insurance, but if you put me on the spot, not sure I would remember if it's all state or State Farm or...

I think it's All State?

• Locked thread