Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got the dlc and just trying to find out how to patch it in or whatever. I start up the game but nothing.

I've quit/restarted about 8 times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got the dlc and just trying to find out how to patch it in or whatever. I start up the game but nothing.

I've quit/restarted about 8 times now.

Did you install the Mercedes DLC from the shop? That was what ended up triggering the update for me; the paid preorder stuff didn't.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

Did you install the Mercedes DLC from the shop? That was what ended up triggering the update for me; the paid preorder stuff didn't.

It says it's finished, but you know what.

My game started updating while typing this so go me I guess.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Bowser Jr and Birdo haven't been in Mario Kart games *since* Double Dash.

I meant more on console releases, which I guess isn't fair to call them staples since it's only one game between DD and MK8.

EDIT: Can you believe no Petey in MK Wii?!?!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope we can have Link riding a spinner.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you see other colored shyguys/yoshi's?

I'm in a race with about 3 yoshi's and a couple shy guys and they're all default colors so curious

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you see other colored shyguys/yoshi's?

I'm in a race with about 3 yoshi's and a couple shy guys and they're all default colors so curious

I don't think you're going to get to use them until the DLC actually comes out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

You can use the Shy Guys and Yoshis right now, you just have to preorder both DLC packs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JordanKai posted:

I'm using the white shyguy right now :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

jivjov posted:

You can use the Shy Guys and Yoshis right now, you just have to preorder both DLC packs.

jivjov posted:

Oops, my mistake!

So sad that we don't get to play as differently coloured Toads, though. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

Oops, my mistake!

So sad that we don't get to play as differently coloured Toads, though. :(

Fun colored Toads and...I dunno...Metal Marios will come with the preorder for the Star Fox and Metroid DLC crossovers!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haven't played in about a month. Got to lap 3 on the final turn of thwomp ruins and the guy inches behind me gets a crazy 8 AND I get lightning'd

I remember now why I put the game down for awhile :suicide:

Edit: New Shyguys and Yoshi's are getting cycled into the lobby and all of them are green or red, pretty sure this is client side only which is kind of really dumb if so.

Or maybe everyone just likes those colors, who knows!

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 27, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

jivjov posted:

Fun colored Toads and...I dunno...Metal Marios will come with the preorder for the Star Fox and Metroid DLC crossovers!

I can see Toads and Koopas getting colors too if they decide to do anymore. Since we're getting DLC, and advertisement promos for real world products, I hope they do like TF2 hat promos, where like to promote Captain Toad they add him into MK8.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Everyone can see the recolours. Everyone with the update anyways.

I keep getting beat online by black shy guys and yoshi's while trying out the new karts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Or the PC version of Sonic Racing Transformed, where a new character would just pop up every couple of months.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I'm really glad they are doing this, but if they had wiggler and king boo instead of another Mario/peach it would have been perfect.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I downloaded the Mercedes DLC and it was really weird, I went into the game a couple of times and it didn't check to see if there was an update. Even turned off the console entirely, restarted it, and went into the game and it still didn't do anything. Then I quit out, went to Wii Chat to check something, quit out of that, and then it did the "checking for updates" thing and I got the DLC installed. Not sure why it was having problems.

I'll tell you one thing, having them change the default option to Next Race/View Results is fantastic. Now if they can just put Waluigi Pinball and King Boo in a DLC pack...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So how do I pre-purchase the DLC? I can't find it in the e-shop, do I have to do it on my PC instead of on my console? That seems kinda crazy! Or maybe I am searching for the wrong thing in the E-shop?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Taear posted:

So how do I pre-purchase the DLC? I can't find it in the e-shop, do I have to do it on my PC instead of on my console? That seems kinda crazy! Or maybe I am searching for the wrong thing in the E-shop?

Go to the game on the E-Shop, then look on the right and there should be a downloadable content button. I believe that there's a shop menu in the updated game as well.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Evil Eagle posted:

Go to the game on the E-Shop, then look on the right and there should be a downloadable content button. I believe that there's a shop menu in the updated game as well.

Correct. That's how I did it, you also get a nice preview screen of what's in the DLC that way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Eagle posted:

Thanks!

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, your colour can be seen by other people online, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MSWM2G4Y0

Also, is just me, or are the mercedes karts the noisiest goddamn things?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Champeenship posted:

Also, is just me, or are the mercedes karts the noisiest goddamn things?

Yeah, they sound fantastic!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Welp I only have 4000 coins. That's, what, 600 races to reach 10,000?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pricing is insanely awesome. I was onboard when I thought it would be $10-$12 for each of them. $12 for 16 tracks is absurdly good value.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
Goonvitational

It is finally the promised time!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

robot roll call posted:

Welp I only have 4000 coins. That's, what, 600 races to reach 10,000?

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat... I know with local multiplayer it counts coins collected by others but is this the case with online?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

If Link doesn't come with a special bike called "The Steel Epona" I'm going to be super disappointed in you Nintendo.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chieves posted:

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat... I know with local multiplayer it counts coins collected by others but is this the case with online?

Pretty sure if you pick your account as player 2 you'll get the coins. Presumably a guest account gives coins to the player one account.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm ready! :)

e: Not that I need extra characters now I've got Orange Yoshi.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 27, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Its really funny seeing everyone on goonkart tourny just being shy guy and yoshi and driving a Mercedes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm on my phone, so I can't check myself, but what colors do Yoshi and Shy Guy actually get?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
This is so cool. Nintendo is doing so much right as of late. :mario:

Smash Bros.
Hyrule Warriors (classic wooden sword update for free)
Mario Kart 8 DLC.
The whole Mario Kart + Free Game Download.
Combine this with the Club Nintendo Coins and the Digital Deluxe Promotion and you really can get some amazing stuff if you have a Wii U.

I'm stoked. Can't wait for the track packs to hit. Totally pre-ordered it.

Did they fix anything in Mario Kart 8 other than the Minimap on TV issue? Any other nice fixes? Better camera controls in Mario Kart TV and/or the ability to save more than 6 favorite replays would be nice.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
They need two add two cups:

Random cup and choose a cup.

Shouldn't have to suffer through dolphin shoals every time I want to do Mt. Wario. Having it select four random tracks or letting you pick for tracks would be trivial to add in and would be a huge improvement.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those that can't see the update yet, this is a good overview of everything they added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwP30WNOsY

Ratings also go over 9999 too

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Astro7x posted:

For those that can't see the update yet, this is a good overview of everything they added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwP30WNOsY

Ratings also go over 9999 too

pretty sure I played with a guy who had 27,000 points

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mabels big day posted:

Its really funny seeing everyone on goonkart tourny just being shy guy and yoshi and driving a Mercedes.

I did a Mercedes for awhile, then went back to Yoshi on a Yoshi Bike. Blue Yoshi, because Blue Yoshi is the best. I am disappointed that the Yoshi Bike doesn't get different colors too! Wasted opportunity, Nintendo! :argh:

On the other hand, I finally know how close I am to that goddamn Gold Glider! I have 7,330 coins. Not as bad as I thought!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
The records screen is very nice to have. I really dig it.

I'm somewhat surprised it kept track of all those things, especially if it didn't display them in the first place :raise:

It is almost as if they were going to include a records screen but forgot or ran out of time to implement it before the game's release.

Number of times Lakitu has rescued you, number of boosts, COINS collected. Overall wins/losses. Thank you Nintendo!

It really is smart of Nintendo to offer a preorder for DLC now from a business point. Face it, soon we will all be playing Smash Bros. They get our money now while we still have the Mario Kart 8 disc inside our Wii U's. Especially come May 2015 who knows if we'll be into Mario Kart but they have our $$$.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I was prepared to give Nintendo a lot more than $12, why don't they want my money? So excited for these DLC packs, hoping for some more SNES tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That stats screen even tells you who your favorite character is. I'm not surprised mine is Wario.

• Locked thread