Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Real Talk:

I'm not even talking about private citizens, but what would it be like if large corporations paid their "Fair share"?

Massive layoffs, fire and brimstone, blood in the streets. The biblical end of days. You'll anger the job creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Massive layoffs, fire and brimstone, blood in the streets. The biblical end of days. You'll anger the job creators.

So...same old, same old?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I dunno, sounds like we'd be closer to a balanced federal budget.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've said it before and I know it's not the most popular idea around here, but I'd happily slash the poo poo out of corporate rates if we got more steeply progressive personal tax rates with more and higher brackets and capital gains classed as regular income.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Isn't that actually what Scandinavian countries do? Then again, the 1% would throw a massive hissy fit over raising their already low tax rates even a decimal of a percent.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

What is with FOX News and their annoying habit of dropping random clips from movies into their reports? Reporter interviews liberal on the street, cue clip of Jim Carrey saying "OH MY GOD!" from Liar Liar - repeat ad nauseum. Who told them this was funny?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Real Talk:

I'm not even talking about private citizens, but what would it be like if large corporations paid their "Fair share"?

That's not even a question corporations can understand. If you could actually cause corporations to inhabit a persona and ask it questions it would just be like "take. take everything."

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Corporate taxes aren't the only business taxes that companies face in the EU, right? VAT, Britain's NHS charge, probably some other poo poo. Is it really that big of an advantage to move to Ireland, just because they have a lower nominal corporate tax rate?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Corporate taxes aren't the only business taxes that companies face in the EU, right? VAT, Britain's NHS charge, probably some other poo poo. Is it really that big of an advantage to move to Ireland, just because they have a lower nominal corporate tax rate?

Possibly. One of the problems with international law is that there are weird exceptions. In the past your business basically needed to physically be wherever it was doing its thing but now, with the internet being basically everywhere and transactions can happen across the globe in milliseconds, you just...don't. Laws can sometimes have weird exceptions like "you only pay this tax on business you actually do in the country." So you could have, say, the company paying only a singular income tax rate in that country and avoiding the rest of the taxes by only opening physical stores in other countries. You still need a building in New York City to have a store in New York City but the money can be wired to Antarctica for all anybody cares.

Somebody, somewhere is probably crunching numbers and deciding "we should move to X country as we would be paying a .75% lower tax rate." It might not sound like much but it can be massive. If memory serves a gently caress load of businesses are headquartered in Delaware because that state in particular has the most favorable business laws. I feel like this is a similar thing. Now that we're becoming increasingly globalized businesses are setting up their HQ in whatever country gives them the best benefits. If anything causes international law to be strengthened it will be this. There is suddenly the potential for businesses to become increasingly untouchable by individual countries. Hell there are businesses that have incomes greater than entire major countries.

Either that or we'll get Shadowrun-style companies that are literally their own nations and make their own laws. You know, whichever. At least then I'd be able to get that damned robot arm I've always wanted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The whole "purpose" of VAT is to have a massive sales tax where tons of businesses get to not pay it. Two regressive taxes that go great together!

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Either that or we'll get Shadowrun-style companies that are literally their own nations and make their own laws. You know, whichever. At least then I'd be able to get that damned robot arm I've always wanted.

We already have the start of that. Ever hear of Investor-State Dispute Resolutions? Basically large corporations can take entire nations to court over actions that allegedly cause the company harm, which is almost always lower profits then expected, due to some action the state did, like say improve pass a law improving its regulation.

One example is how pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly is suing Canada for $100 million because they invalidated a patent, which I heard they now increased it $500mil

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Communist Zombie posted:

We already have the start of that. Ever hear of Investor-State Dispute Resolutions? Basically large corporations can take entire nations to court over actions that allegedly cause the company harm, which is almost always lower profits then expected, due to some action the state did, like say improve pass a law improving its regulation.

One example is how pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly is suing Canada for $100 million because they invalidated a patent, which I heard they now increased it $500mil

Sweet merciful gently caress. How long until somebody sues a country over having living wage laws?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Replacing all the revenue from the Corporate Income Tax is hard to do.

It's also one of the most progressive taxes we have, and it hits the top 1% hard.

edit: Saez says we could increase the top marginal rate on the top 1% to 67% and raise $4 trillion over 10 years, so that would do it.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

edit: Saez says we could increase the top marginal rate on the top 1% to 67% and raise $4 trillion over 10 years, so that would do it.

Is this based on the assumption that the incomes of the top 1% remain constant over time or does it account for the fact that if this was instituted, the top 1% would do everything in their power to get themselves compensated in as much capital gains or other income-deductible things as possible.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Communist Zombie posted:

Can't the nation basically say "gently caress you sovereign immunity :smug:?"

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Can't the nation basically say "gently caress you sovereign immunity :smug:?"

Kinda but not really. Its a bit complicated. The Investor-State Dispute Resolutions (ISDR) have power because the state willingly entered into them as part of some trade deal, so you could argue its implicit revoking of sovereign immunity if the actual text doesnt include that. When ISDRs resolve in favor of companies, according to my understanding, it doesnt overrule/change state law the state just has to pay a fine, but often times they can avoid paying the fine if they change the law teh company didnt like. And if they dont pay and dont change the law, assuming their a small enough country, the capital class will probably take retribution on them through various channels.

But there are recent and growing attempts to just be able say just that among various countries.

Funnily enough though, not agreeing to ISDRs doesnt do anything to a country's economy or foreign investment good or bad, excluding of course the fines and court costs they wont have to pay.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is this based on the assumption that the incomes of the top 1% remain constant over time or does it account for the fact that if this was instituted, the top 1% would do everything in their power to get themselves compensated in as much capital gains or other income-deductible things as possible.

It accounts for behavioral changes. Here's the paper.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You know how everyone seems to say we should lower the corporate tax rate, but close a bunch of loopholes? Why do we need to lower the tax rate? I mean, wouldn't you be losing the money that you would have been saving if you did that? Why don't we just close said loopholes?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

You know how everyone seems to say we should lower the corporate tax rate, but close a bunch of loopholes? Why do we need to lower the tax rate? I mean, wouldn't you be losing the money that you would have been saving if you did that? Why don't we just close said loopholes?

Lower it by 0.001% and close the loopholes :getin:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jon Stewart is BITCHSLAPPING Fox News right now. It's a must watch.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jon Stewart is BITCHSLAPPING Fox News right now.

For what?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ferguson, and trying to ignore race, accusing people of being "The real racisrs" among other things.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

Thank goodness they're back from break. Been waiting for their take on Ferguson.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You need a reason?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

beatlegs posted:

What is with FOX News and their annoying habit of dropping random clips from movies into their reports? Reporter interviews liberal on the street, cue clip of Jim Carrey saying "OH MY GOD!" from Liar Liar - repeat ad nauseum. Who told them this was funny?

Attention-grabbing techniques taken from 90's radio morning zoo soundboards.

You remember the 90's, don't you? Back when 'those people sure are different than us white male heterosexuals, HAHAHAH GET IT? OH NO! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE, am I right?' was all the rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei916rq9x0M

Fox news is now what all those people gravitated towards after comedy underwent its post-post 9-11 enlightenment, because fewer people were finding that kind of bullying-from-privilege funny.

Proof:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 27, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Communist Zombie posted:

Kinda but not really. Its a bit complicated. The Investor-State Dispute Resolutions (ISDR) have power because the state willingly entered into them as part of some trade deal, so you could argue its implicit revoking of sovereign immunity if the actual text doesnt include that. When ISDRs resolve in favor of companies, according to my understanding, it doesnt overrule/change state law the state just has to pay a fine, but often times they can avoid paying the fine if they change the law teh company didnt like. And if they dont pay and dont change the law, assuming their a small enough country, the capital class will probably take retribution on them through various channels.

But there are recent and growing attempts to just be able say just that among various countries.

Funnily enough though, not agreeing to ISDRs doesnt do anything to a country's economy or foreign investment good or bad, excluding of course the fines and court costs they wont have to pay.

IMO Canada is big and powerful enough to just ignore it if they wanted to; I feel everyone is aware of that. But it does make a marvelous political lever. Great cover for any politician that favors the company's view.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

beatlegs posted:

Half of Right Wing media personalities are just glorified morning zoo DJs. Apparently that's the way to get conservatives to watch your poo poo is to play fart sounds and movie clips from a sound board. If their ratings ever really drop look forward to Bill O'Reilly prank calling the DNC.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Radish posted:

Half of Right Wing media personalities are just glorified morning zoo DJs. Apparently that's the way to get conservatives to watch your poo poo is to play fart sounds and movie clips from a sound board. If their ratings ever really drop look forward to Bill O'Reilly prank calling the DNC.
In the case of Glenn Beck that was literally the job he had before he got into punditry, and it shows. He's less a news source and more a really angry and political Carrot Top.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

drat I can't watch right now, and tonight's guest was my thesis advisor! This is all Obamas fault!

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Today on Dennis Prager's male/female hour: Women are attracted to money and power. If a male lost his money, prestige or power, his wife or girlfriend would leave him, that's just how women work and how dare women suggest otherwise.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gross Dude posted:

Today on Dennis Prager's male/female hour: Women are attracted to money and power. If a male lost his money, prestige or power, his wife or girlfriend would leave him, that's just how women work and how dare women suggest otherwise.

This is true for the type of women who marry Republicans though. I mean they're definitely not marrying them for their personalities or looks.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

drat I can't watch right now, and tonight's guest was my thesis advisor! This is all Obamas fault!

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ufqeuz/race-off

Well good things come to those who wait.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I know its not hard to do but, its so satisfying to hear someone make Hannity look like a moron.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

SedanChair posted:

That's not even a question corporations can understand. If you could actually cause corporations to inhabit a persona and ask it questions it would just be like "take. take everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

"Mine."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sean Hannity just told a caller he has "LDHD." Liberal Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Swing and a miss. He also bragged about how he makes more than the caller because he's worth more then said it was none of the caller's business how much he makes. Classy loving guy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love making mean tweets at Hannity now that I know he reads at least some of them

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So I need help with something....is this guy satire or real?

https://twitter.com/CaidenCowger

http://caidencowgerprogram.com/

This has to be Satire right? Like some guy is doing this to troll, correct? Like no one is doing an impersonation of Rush Limbaugh without a trace of irony correct?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FuzzySkinner posted:

So I need help with something....is this guy satire or real?

https://twitter.com/CaidenCowger

http://caidencowgerprogram.com/

This has to be Satire right? Like some guy is doing this to troll, correct? Like no one is doing an impersonation of Rush Limbaugh without a trace of irony correct?

He's an honest to god teenaged Rush Limbaugh wannabe, yes. Hopefully he'll grow out of it with time, though.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's an honest to god teenaged Rush Limbaugh wannabe, yes. Hopefully he'll grow out of it with time, though.

Perhaps not if the money is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Spacedad posted:

Attention-grabbing techniques taken from 90's radio morning zoo soundboards.

You remember the 90's, don't you? Back when 'those people sure are different than us white male heterosexuals, HAHAHAH GET IT? OH NO! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE, am I right?' was all the rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei916rq9x0M

Fox news is now what all those people gravitated towards after comedy underwent its post-post 9-11 enlightenment, because fewer people were finding that kind of bullying-from-privilege funny.

Proof:

This was the true Fox News Comedian