Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Keldroc posted:

What came closest?

Well, ROTF Prime and Jetfire are the "obvious" answers, but after a couple of tries and with the aid of video reviews, neither really stopped me. WFC Bumblebee was a pain the first time around, and when I was six RID Magnus didn't want to play nice, but I always triumphed even then. I do remember missing a specific step on Omega Prime (where you fold down those panels on the boots to give Optimus's feet a peg to sit on), but even that I worked out.

I've never been stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I dunno, in my book "had to look at a video review" counts as stumped in the sense that "had to look at the strategy guide" counts as being stumped by a puzzle in a game. I would never have been 100% sure I transformed Diesel correctly without double-checking with peaugh's review, thanks to the vague instructions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

I dunno, in my book "had to look at a video review" counts as stumped in the sense that "had to look at the strategy guide" counts as being stumped by a puzzle in a game. I would never have been 100% sure I transformed Diesel correctly without double-checking with peaugh's review, thanks to the vague instructions.

Well I used a video review FIRST for Optimus. I didn't even TRY without one - mostly because I didn't want to break him. Keep in mind, this was five years ago - I had dumb puberty fingers and I didn't know how much force I could or could not exert.

Jetfire I transformed while on a park bench and suffering from a horrifying fluid abcess in my thigh. I got him into jet mode, then passed out from pain.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DoTM Megatron is a bastard to transform, but I think that's just because my particular one is put together like poo poo. Some things are stiff as a board and then some joints (like his loving hips) are loosey goosey and just fall all over the place.

And that Generations Springer doesn't loving tab together right infuriates me because it's so drat close.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sockser posted:

And that Generations Springer doesn't loving tab together right infuriates me because it's so drat close.

It's a pain, but there's a trick that makes it hold together slightly better in car mode:

Those swiveling panels that slide in/out and cover the wheels in robot mode?

... Transform those last. Don't swivel them down and push them in until EVERY OTHER PANEL AND PART is in place and pegged-in as best you can.

I'm not sure why that works, but it makes things hold together better.

EDIT: that reminds me of a frustration I have with the DOTM versions of ROTF Leader Prime (Jetwing and Striker).

While they have the "advantage" of not having the swords get in the way, the DOTM retools have the different abdominal area, and with that, different abbreviated-truck-nose parts on their chests.

The DOTM versions lack the front face of the ROTF versions, so as to better show off Prime's :krad: abs.

While the retools to the abdomen do offer the advantage of making the "sweet spot" (for disengaging the chest panels from the rails they slide on) more apparent, intuitive, and useful, it makes actually fitting the truck mode's nose together rather more difficult.

On the ROTF versions, the front face of the chest-nose-parts "cuts into" the divets on the insides of the forearms deeply. They fix themselves into the exact position they need to be in for the truck nose to come together.

On the DOTM versions, that front face is almost entirely gone, and this raises issues. One, it's harder to figure out visually where all the parts need to be related to one another, because one visible locking point is no longer obviously present. Two - and more damningly - while finagling parts around, in particular the nose-shell from the forearms and the shoulder panel/canister assemblies, the chest-nose-pieces can become very easily dislocated because they don't get the near-inch of grip the ROTF versions had.

... I still love ROTF/DOTM Prime, though!!!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 26, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

The best part of mine is half his panels like to just fall off. I really, really don't like him. But I'm going to keep him just to taunt Rhyno.

MORE LIKE ENDLESS BASTARD.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

The opposite of this is any toy where you have to fiddle several parts and pray that they stay tabbed while you plug and tab several pieces at the same time, or when the design expects you to force some part through spaces where they really don't fit. That's just no fun at all. Again, ROTF was very hit and miss with this on its initial toys; Sideways is utterly unfun to transform and align in place.

Gen Springer's car mode must infuriate you.

fake Edit: What the hell, I typed this before I saw the above two post.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not sure why that works, but it makes things hold together better.

What sorcery is this? It works.

Also Springer was sitting next to me while I typed this, so another crazy coincidence.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't understand in the least why there weren't seekers alongside Starscream in Prime and I honestly don't get why you wouldn't build a 3D show around taking advantage of something kids didn't seem to care about thirty years ago and I wonder if they seriously care about now.

The worst part is, as a 3D animation, it's pretty easy to just reskin the model for Starscream to do that. Then it's even worse that their was an episode with Starscream clones that they just left in Starscream colors.

Considering how much Hasbro loves their repaints, Prime had almost no repaints in the deluxe line, and only a few in the voyager line. It would have made sense to do a few Seekers just to be able to makes a few more Voyagers.

Maybe Voice actors get paid more then we think?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anora posted:

Gen Springer's car mode must infuriate you.

fake Edit: What the hell, I typed this before I saw the above two post.

What sorcery is this? It works.

Also Springer was sitting next to me while I typed this, so another crazy coincidence.

As far as I can tell, the "sorcery" is that the gappiness between the window-portions is "transferred" to a gap between the unfolded arms and the swivelling panels. However, because the angles and components involved are different, the "new gappiness" is almost completely unnoticeable and doesn't compromise the car mode's integrity!

I'm glad I could help. Such is the duty of Noted Best Transformerer Ever, DoctorWhat.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 26, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I had to look up the directions to MP Skywarp when I finally transformed him last month. I got him from Wal-Mart way back when that was a thing... I just never got around to transforming him and lost the instructions. Couldn't figure it out 100% on my own.

Rattrap and Alternators Grimlock/Wheeljack are pretty confusing at points, it's true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So are the KO MP Sideswipes any good? Like this one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes, they're nearly indistinguishable from the real deal in most cases, though quality varies of course. I bought both him and Red Alert and they're both fantastic and chilling out on my desk right now, mine have tight joints and the only thing I had to fix was cutting down the little clip that the chest-hood plugs onto, but otherwise I heartily endorse them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
my rattrap/tankor preorder just entered my BBTS POL.

fistpumping in my head right now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

As long as you don't care about misspelled words on the car mode, it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Keldroc posted:

As long as you don't care about misspelled words on the car mode, it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference.

I prefer owning a genuine Lamborgthi licensed deformable action toy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sockser posted:

DoTM Megatron is a bastard to transform, but I think that's just because my particular one is put together like poo poo. Some things are stiff as a board and then some joints (like his loving hips) are loosey goosey and just fall all over the place.

My DOTM Megatron has loose as poo poo hips too, it'll barely stand.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Cool news! Fakebusker's stuff is now officially licensed by Hasbro, so we have official transforming figures of MTMTE Rewind and Vos.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

Cool news! Fakebusker's stuff is now officially licensed by Hasbro, so we have official transforming figures of MTMTE Rewind and Vos.

I can't find that news anywhere - what's your source?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They're now listed on Hasbro's superfanart.com website now, but the "about the artists" page hasn't been updated yet. There was also a makezine article about them adding Transformers items and mentioning her specifically.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Speaking of, is there some shop somewhere on the internet I can buy 3d printed repros of G1 accessories?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's fantastic, Fakebuster does some really amazing stuff.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So uh... that MTMTE.

I dunno if I can make it to the next one. The anticipation is killing me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

RaspberryCommie posted:

So uh... that MTMTE.

I dunno if I can make it to the next one. The anticipation is killing me.

Yeah, it was fantaaaaaaastic. Loved all the little pair-up conversation scenes, especially the two in the cell.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

James Roberts is brilliant.

The best parts of the issue are all the pair discussions. Nightbeat/Nautica, Getaway/Skids, the two in the cell. I can't wait for the next issue.

Was it next issue or the one after that Roberts promised that was going to feature Trailcutter, First Aid and some two other guys?

I think the part that got to me most was seeing Swerve die.

And in toy news, I just saw Tankor and Ratbat in the store here in Iceland. Still no Swerve...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who's that guy at the bottom of the cover?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Mainframe.

I don't know why they put him on the cover either. I think he was the one who got his head and spine ripped out of his body in the flashback page.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pffft, this is what passes as a "Masterpiece" these days? They're getting smaller and smaller! :smuggo:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Pffft, this is what passes as a "Masterpiece" these days? They're getting smaller and smaller! :smuggo:

Is that the MP Brain of Courage?

And what was the context for this picture?

... ARE THEY TEASING AN MP OMEGA PRIME!?

Don't play games with my heart, Takara.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda didn't like that issue til the twist suddenly cleans up what I found discordant about it and it does finally make me realize what I think Roberts is actually bad at, but it was a really great issue and holy poo poo does Milne ever love drawing Nautica. Seriously, look at that panel where she is petting Ravage and he claws at her, her helmet pops down into place in response. Actually he really likes drawing Ravage too, I think.

Keldroc posted:

There is a fellow on youtube who does extremely detailed videos on the topic. Like, a good 15 minutes trying to explain how to determine the differences on the packaging, if anyone really cares, there's that. His analysis is in agreement with you.

On this topic my KO Streak and Lambor showed up today. Couple paint flaws, and Lambor's head won't close up all the way, but the joints are wonderfully tight and the plastic is really nice. Had to file off some black splotches of paint on Lambor too.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Is that the MP Brain of Courage?

And what was the context for this picture?

... ARE THEY TEASING AN MP OMEGA PRIME!?

Don't play games with my heart, Takara.

Not unless they're also teasing MP Diaclone drivers.

Hey, stranger things have happened.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Today I bought AOE Drift instead of saving my money for a hypothetical much cooler thing and now I am sad.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Not unless they're also teasing MP Diaclone drivers.

Hey, stranger things have happened.

I'd say Diaclone drivers have a better chance with happening in Classics Generations than MP.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So I decided to screw around with ROTF Long Haul on a whim. Two observations:

1) Hot drat, this is a terrific Transformer. Kind of funny how quality engineering and non-lovely plastic seemed pedestrian in 2009.

2) In an alternate universe where James Roberts was handed the keys to the Transformers movie dynasty, Long Haul is TOTALLY in with the DJD.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Long Haul needs a new G1 style head(instead of the ugly movie head) and some guns, but he's probably the best dumptruck transformer ever.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd say Diaclone drivers have a better chance with happening in Classics Generations than MP.

MP Diaclone drivers confirmed. Preorder now.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Optimist Prime posted:

So I decided to screw around with ROTF Long Haul on a whim. Two observations:

1) Hot drat, this is a terrific Transformer. Kind of funny how quality engineering and non-lovely plastic seemed pedestrian in 2009.

2) In an alternate universe where James Roberts was handed the keys to the Transformers movie dynasty, Long Haul is TOTALLY in with the DJD.

I only have the repaint, Payload, but yeah he's kicking rad, GORILLA ARMS or not. (He has the proportions of a gorilla however so I forgive him). He's almost as cool as Mixmaster. Almost.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Today I bought AOE Drift instead of saving my money for a hypothetical much cooler thing and now I am sad.

gently caress you man Drift is cool. He's cool.

edit: sorry that was rude

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

gently caress you man Drift is cool. He's cool.

edit: sorry that was rude

Movie Drift, bro, Movie.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah that's who I meant too. It is a fun toy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow GI Joe vs Transformers #2 took a huge loving nosedive in terms of art quality and pacing. Dropped like a really hot something.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

Yeah that's who I meant too. It is a fun toy.

Optimist Prime posted:

Kind of funny how quality engineering and non-lovely plastic seemed pedestrian in 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I could agree with the plastic (even if AoE is a step up from TFP: RiD and FoC), but the comment was about Long Haul who isn't actually an engineering marvel or anything (he has quite the backpack, weird arm articulation and no waist). He's just chunky and fun which is all I'm claiming Drift is. He has a clean simple transformation, cool accessories that store completely in altmode and enough poseability (even if proper wrist rotation would've been nice). In this case I'm not even sure what you expected because what you see in his package is what you get.

But forget about Drift and personal tastes, here's Maketoys... Dai Atlas?

probably coming out in 2017 at this rate or something.