Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Iretep posted:

I recomend using a shield against phase 2. It's possible to dodge his quick swipes but I found it much simpler to just guard against them than time them.

I can dodge all of his attacks, it's just the one where he sticks the sword in the ground and emits fire. It's instant death if it hits me and it's impossible to run away in time if you're not already expecting it. Is it fire, dark, or fire/dark damage? If I could mitigate it with defense stacking I might be able to stand a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You can dodge through it really easily. Let me guess, you have 85 agility? If you do get it closer to 100.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The AoE has a huge tell, it's the one with the longest wind-up. Always keep about a foot between you and him, there's no reason to huge his leg if that's what you're doing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Iretep posted:

You can dodge through it really easily. Let me guess, you have 85 agility? If you do get it closer to 100.

I have 105 AGL. All his fire attacks seem to hit me even in dodge frames, especially the wide sweep attack.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

What's its AR / scaling like?

Posted about it a little earlier, can't check the scaling letter right now though:

Daynab posted:

413 AR with a 40/40/30/30 build and infused with Dark. Seems pretty good.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

I have 105 AGL. All his fire attacks seem to hit me even in dodge frames, especially the wide sweep attack.

Dodge toward the wide sweep attack. It comes a bit slow so you need to learn the timing. With that much agility the only problems you should be having are his quick attacks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

e: never mind, I finally got the bastard

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 27, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
God dammit I keep not getting the key.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

God dammit I keep not getting the key.

Have you tried restarting steam?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Okay, what am I screwing up that is preventing me from power stancing smelter hammers? I have 99 strength, and ~*~the internet~*~ is telling me that's enough. Do I need the strength ring?

E: Well I'm dumb as gently caress. Why does this thing even have a dex requirement? It's the most un-dex item ever. :mad:

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ok I figured out the key thing.

Now I just wish whoever designed this pit section would die of loving GRIDS

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OH. MY. GOD.

This DLC is the best for Fashion Souls :allears:

Here's something I made (linked for spoilers):
http://imgur.com/a/RfgMM

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Where did you get that thing? Couldn't find it. :v: Same with that loving Dispelling Ring. :argh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:bang:

Oh, cool, there's a bonfire right next to FK. That would have been useful to know twenty deaths ago.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011
The dispelling ring is in the same area where you find the 4 extra smelter wedges, behind a breakable wall (Upper floor, near the first firebreathing bull). Just lure one of those hollows with a gunpowder barrel to that place to break the wall.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

What's the condition that reveals how many bonfires you've missed in the game again? I've beaten it on my mage, but she still has bonfires that need to be lit. They don't show up as a ??? when I sit at a bonfire though, it's weird.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I have jumped into this pit 50 times

I've stopped caring

I just kill one guy hopefully every time and soon hope they stop spawning

this is my life now

I lost... millions of souls for this

I wish the designer of this part was next to me

I would kill him.

No court could rule it as unjust.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you're where I think you are, the barrel hollows will just jump down and explode next to all the enemies if you let them.

The real bullshit is the lance invader, who I'm told you can just use a seed of a tree of giants for.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think i've died like 60 times to the first DLC boss, i kinda stopped counting after the first few hours - mostly on stage 2 because he just doesn't care and one-shots through my 2700 HP - and i'm loving it, it's the challenge of a DarkLurker without the godawful run-up. Feels like meeting Artorias without a broken arm while he's in the worst mood possible. :allears:

I'm going to be kinda sad when i eventually beat him/know him enough to trivialize him, but i guess there'll be thousands of people to sunbro with (sadly hosts usually get one-shotted).

No idea what follows him yet, so i'll keep the spoiler-blinds down for now. Definitely already got my money's worth.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think i've died like 60 times to the first DLC boss, i kinda stopped counting after the first few hours - mostly on stage 2 because he just doesn't care and one-shots through my 2700 HP - and i'm loving it, it's the challenge of a DarkLurker without the godawful run-up. Feels like meeting Artorias without a broken arm while he's in the worst mood possible. :allears:

I'm going to be kinda sad when i eventually beat him/know him enough to trivialize him, but i guess there'll be thousands of people to sunbro with (sadly hosts usually get one-shotted).

No idea what follows him yet, so i'll keep the spoiler-blinds down for now. Definitely already got my money's worth.
Don't worry, you'll be wishing you were still on Fume for the next boss :)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

MooCowlian posted:

If you're where I think you are, the barrel hollows will just jump down and explode next to all the enemies if you let them.

The real bullshit is the lance invader, who I'm told you can just use a seed of a tree of giants for.

I didn't realize the barrel guys would jump down. Even if you kill them, you can still clear that room very safely, if slowly. You can descend partially down the ladder, draw enemies to your position and then shoot them in safety from the upper platform.

The lance invader is also very easy to cheese. He won't follow you if you just rush past him down the stairs to the ashen idol and use a smelter wedge on it. I did this expecting it to be a suicide run, but I was actually able to kill everything on the staircase. When you're ready to fight the invader, chase him partway down the stairs, and when he stops to wait for you, you can jump onto the platform just over where he's waiting. From there you can easily kill him with ranged attacks. He'll feebly try to dodge, but he won't run away and can't fight back. The developers even put a ranged weapon on the platform to strengthen the hint.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Thumbtacks posted:

No, he's actually unbeatable.

My issue with the Fume Sword is that if you infuse it, you can't also buff it. Which is really dumb.

Mine's infused and I buff it with Dark Weapon all the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I have jumped into this pit 50 times

What the hell are you even trying to do? There's no point where you need to jump to progress in the DLC.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The lance invader is also very easy to cheese.

He killed me once with his trap, I knew when he started running down the stairs that something was up but I just had to know what was in that chest. Oh, well. So next time I just backstabbed him over and over again and didn't let him move.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 27, 2014

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Would anyone have it in their kind hearts to give a 1090000 SM bloke a mastodon great sword? A ruin sentinel broke the box it was in when I fled into that room in Dranleic Castle.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Would anyone have it in their kind hearts to give a 1090000 SM bloke a mastodon great sword? A ruin sentinel broke the box it was in when I fled into that room in Dranleic Castle.

I could be remembering wrong, but isn't the chest that contains that iron? I may be thinking of the one with the Royal Soldier's Ring+1 tho.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
One of the floating guys broke the wooden chest in that area behind the locked door near where the third DLC bonfire is. Was there something interesting in that? He just loving instantly destroyed it through a wall, I was kind of pissed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't had time to fight FK much more but I do kinda like his boss fight. He's hard but not super bullshitty (although that emanation attack of his kinda sucks, haven't quite figured out how to dodge it yet). Kinda like a more aggressive Velstadt but without the extremely annoying pulling and plinking of a phalanx of assholes guarding his fog gate beforehand. It's a really challenging fight but you can get right back up at the bonfire and immediately try again, which was a very nice touch for them to add.

Mind you, having to dead-run back to a difficult boss fight every single time is something I really don't like about the Dark Souls games, it's tedious and it's artificial difficulty. Rotting max HP or a 3000 soul penalty puts enough of a consequence on failure to add pressure to a boss fight, wasting time on top of that isn't really a necessary thing for them to do. At least the vast majority of the bosses in the game can be reached by just dodging past everything in the way, Velstadt is the only exception that comes to mind, although the right-angle running jump to the Ruin Sentinels basement door-to-nowhere is incredibly hard to pull off consistently.

I actually ran through that door and died when invading somebody once trying to find them. The shame still hasn't gone away.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For the area fireball attack, dodge towards him. I've been rolling towards him for both the flaming arc one and that one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr Dog posted:

(although that emanation attack of his kinda sucks, haven't quite figured out how to dodge it yet).
I think you just back away from him. There are gaps between the spheres, and they always seem to line up well when I just moved straight back.

I despise his combo attack, though. Both dodging and blocking with a +5 Drangleic Shield burned through nearly all of my stamina, and that optional delay on his swing with the big sword is obnoxious.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Azran posted:

For the area fireball attack, dodge towards him. I've been rolling towards him for both the flaming arc one and that one.
Rolling is the answer to him and the other boss. For him you want to stay at a comfortable distance so you can roll back from the AOE or whatever and punish his combos, for the other boss you want to stay right on his rear end at all times and roll behind him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's two easy ways to dodge his fireballs, you can either roll straight through them with enough agility or if you're a ways away from him you can just walk out of the way. It's by far the easiest attack to dodge.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I think you just back away from him. There are gaps between the spheres, and they always seem to line up well when I just moved straight back.

I despise his combo attack, though. Both dodging and blocking with a +5 Drangleic Shield burned through nearly all of my stamina, and that optional delay on his swing with the big sword is obnoxious.

He attacks at the same speed players do, so if you want to get a handle on the timing, throw a katana in your right hand and a greatsword in your left and then do a R1R1L1 combo.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Finished my no bonfire run! What an adventure!

Gotta say, lighting the majula bonfire just before going to the castle was a HUGE mistake. That run all the way to the crypt was obnoxious.

edit: do i seriously have to offer all 30 of my sun medals one at a time? FROM!!!!

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 27, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Oh geeze I just found a moveswap table for the Pursuer's moveset. I wonder if it's any good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey guys I'm pretty far along in the game, SL 100 and have killed two big bosses. I'm using a +8 mace right now because that's my "RP" thing for the guy I'm playing. However, I'm not really sure whether I should keep trying to upgrade it or if I should try to find a better weapon. I like the high strength bonus it gets and also how relatively fast its attacks are (compared to the ultra greatsword I got for other situations).

I know there's a weapon I can get for trading in the last giant soul but that's 9 str higher than I've got and I'd imagine it swings hella fuckin' slow.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, there's no reason to switch if you're happy with it. You could think about maybe powerstancing them or trading up for the bigger clubs if you want.

And yeah, the giant axe is hella slow and the damage is really not worth the massive stat investment necessary to use it.

In other news, I'm hanging at the Iron bridge and showing off the new weapons to everyone. Actually got a couple messages asking what the gently caress I was using (mostly interested in the katana though. I guess stabbing yourself does leave an impression.)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hey guys I'm pretty far along in the game, SL 100 and have killed two big bosses. I'm using a +8 mace right now because that's my "RP" thing for the guy I'm playing. However, I'm not really sure whether I should keep trying to upgrade it or if I should try to find a better weapon. I like the high strength bonus it gets and also how relatively fast its attacks are (compared to the ultra greatsword I got for other situations).

I know there's a weapon I can get for trading in the last giant soul but that's 9 str higher than I've got and I'd imagine it swings hella fuckin' slow.

Rule number 1 of dark souls: Fashion > everything
Rule number 2 of dark souls: use the weapons you enjoy using

If you like the mace, keep using it. Try other poo poo if you want to. Some dude beat like NG+10 with a ladle, so everything is viable.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr Dog posted:

I haven't had time to fight FK much more but I do kinda like his boss fight. He's hard but not super bullshitty (although that emanation attack of his kinda sucks, haven't quite figured out how to dodge it yet). Kinda like a more aggressive Velstadt but without the extremely annoying pulling and plinking of a phalanx of assholes guarding his fog gate beforehand. It's a really challenging fight but you can get right back up at the bonfire and immediately try again, which was a very nice touch for them to add.

Mind you, having to dead-run back to a difficult boss fight every single time is something I really don't like about the Dark Souls games, it's tedious and it's artificial difficulty. Rotting max HP or a 3000 soul penalty puts enough of a consequence on failure to add pressure to a boss fight, wasting time on top of that isn't really a necessary thing for them to do. At least the vast majority of the bosses in the game can be reached by just dodging past everything in the way, Velstadt is the only exception that comes to mind, although the right-angle running jump to the Ruin Sentinels basement door-to-nowhere is incredibly hard to pull off consistently.

I actually ran through that door and died when invading somebody once trying to find them. The shame still hasn't gone away.

Except that FK's bonfire is like right next to him, so it's not that bad of run back to him.

Now the other two?

Yeah can't blame you.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I'm missing a bunch of Smelter Wedges for the statues in front of Fume Knight's boss room was there a chest somewhere i missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Smornstein posted:

I'm missing a bunch of Smelter Wedges for the statues in front of Fume Knight's boss room was there a chest somewhere i missed?
You get six very early on, four more in a chest (check higher up in the tower), and one from the second boss. There are a total of 11, and exactly 11 things to use them on.

EDIT: My numbers may be off but there's three places you get them and the locations are accurate.