Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Sorry, I'm still laughing at the thought of Vermont's "maple syrup".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Vermont and New Hampshire should just kiss already.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

You're all a bunch of decadent bourgeois scum. True proles eat brown bread that comes out of a can.

Will you look at that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder why they feel the need to include a knife in the picture?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
some would prefer suicide to eating canned bread

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
♫ the truth is you could slit my throat and with my one last gasping breath i'd apologize for offering you canned bread ♫

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Thai versions of Western food are a special category of :ughh:
I should take a pic of one of the "western" stalls in my local food center. Cheezy chicken chop, mmm.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

You're all a bunch of decadent bourgeois scum. True proles eat brown bread that comes out of a can.

as one of those dirty proles I would fall on that bread knife before I ate canned bread :911:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gail Wynand posted:

I should take a pic of one of the "western" stalls in my local food center. Cheezy chicken chop, mmm.

I'd be curious to see this.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
So can we declare the Experimental Chat Thread a success and require other forums to set up their own exchanges Food And Current Events Catchall Threads?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

So can we declare the Experimental Chat Thread a success and require other forums to set up their own exchanges Food And Current Events Catchall Threads?
Take the D&D #QuinoaBucketChallenge!!!!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I remember the first time I saw scrapple on a menu, and asked the clearly-the-daughter of whomever was in the kitchen and owned the diner (this is a good sign, btw) what it was. "Oh, it's everything." 'Everything?' "Yeah, you know, everything on the grill."

So I tried it.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd be curious to see this.
I'll try to remember when I go to lunch tomorrow, in the meantime here's a preview:

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/best-and-top/best-old-school-chicken-chop-found-*aid-272f2f00/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Gook chop stuff is hilarious. You can still find the old gook chop shops here too. I've been to a couple. The explanation I heard is that in the old days local restaurant owners (hotels, commonly) would ship in Chinese cooks and tell them to make stuff that Westerners like and gook chop places are the result.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I was at the grocery store the other day and I saw this fragile old man in flannel who had nothing but bread labeled "Extra-Dark Jewish Rye" and gefeltefish in his cart. That might be me, in the future.
Do you keep it in the oven for longer or what?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Sorry, I'm still laughing at the thought of Vermont's "maple syrup".

I am sorry to hear that exposure to Canadian "maple syrup" has caused permanent brain damage to the point where you can't stop laughing. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gail Wynand posted:

I'll try to remember when I go to lunch tomorrow, in the meantime here's a preview:

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/best-and-top/best-old-school-chicken-chop-found-*aid-272f2f00/

Now you've got me wanting to travel the world just to see what happens when each individual foreign country tries to make American-style food.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pope Guilty posted:

Now you've got me wanting to travel the world just to see what happens when each individual foreign country tries to make American-style food.
What happens next may shock you!

My standby image:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Two people in my town voted in the Liberty Union party primary. :psyduck:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I am sorry to hear that exposure to Canadian "maple syrup" has caused permanent brain damage to the point where you can't stop laughing. :smith:
"The great state of Vermont will not apologize for its maple syrup!"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kale is pretty good but it gets stuck your teeth and its annoying. It's also annoying to put on sandwiches.

I need to try greens next time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it any wonder why goons are enourmous.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Doctor Butts posted:

Kale is pretty good but it gets stuck your teeth and its annoying. It's also annoying to put on sandwiches.

I need to try greens next time.

Oh, some unprovoked Vermonter baiting I see.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 27, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cabbage, kale, and Brussel sprouts are all the same species of plant. Few others too.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
As a southerner I also feel the need to promote collard greens to you Yankees/foreigners.

It's almost as nutritious as kale and is an amazing compliment to bacon, or can be used identically to chard

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

visceril posted:

As a southerner I also feel the need to promote collard greens to you Yankees/foreigners.

It's almost as nutritious as kale and is an amazing compliment to bacon, or can be used identically to chard

Is it any good not swimming in butter? I feel like I need to slim down before I can travel to the south and acquaint myself with the food.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Yeah it's a nice, fleshy leaf with a mild flavor.

You can do whatever you want with it. In the south, though, it's hard to do anything without butter. It's just how we cook

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cheekio posted:

Is it any good not swimming in butter? I feel like I need to slim down before I can travel to the south and acquaint myself with the food.

Who the gently caress puts butter all over collards?

All you need is some pepper vinegar and some pork product for flavoring during the cooking process.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ReindeerF posted:

Gook chop stuff is hilarious. You can still find the old gook chop shops here too. I've been to a couple. The explanation I heard is that in the old days local restaurant owners (hotels, commonly) would ship in Chinese cooks and tell them to make stuff that Westerners like and gook chop places are the result.

so does "gook" mean something different in thailand or

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Trip report: Thems some decent kosher garlic mashed taters that dun need none better

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

visceril posted:

Oh that's another one in that list as the same species and kale n friends.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I bought the shirt from this website for one of my friends whose last name is Kale. We both agreed it was funny but that she could probably never wear it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chick-fil-a sued the Eat More Kale guy, arguing that he was causing confusion with their "Eat More Chicken" campaign.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Trip report: Thems some decent kosher garlic mashed taters that dun need none better

:tipshat:

Joementum posted:

Chick-fil-a sued the Eat More Kale guy, arguing that he was causing confusion with their "Eat More Chicken" campaign.

wtf, it's "eat more kale" not "eat moar kail" in paint on a sandwich board held by a farm animal

That ad campaign was cute when I was a child, almost 20 years ago. What the hell

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheekio posted:

My new favorite shirt:

https://houstorian.spreadshirt.com/keep-austin-A13129290

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Zephyr Teachout owns and the NYT is hilariously feeble.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
This lady has a funny name and seems pretty cool.

With the net neutrality guy as a running mate she should win if she actually primaries Cuomo

Also the NYT is the most pathetic news organization. Paper of record.....FOR ME TO POOP ON

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
She'll be running against Sarah Palin and her running mate Church Lockin in a few years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

She'll be running against Sarah Palin and her running mate Church Lockin in a few years.

Tight race between her and Pew Potluck, we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm actually surprised we haven't had a statewide candidate run with just the name "Pastor [firstname]", like "Pastor Lance". It's folksy, yet authoritative

• Locked thread