Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I agree that Trakt should be an official plugin, but I have had no issues with the trakt plugin on the unofficial app store, syncs great and marks my watched stuff perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It seems to be working correctly now, although it might just be on one particular machine but due to the way plex works I hope that means it's all running fully now. It'll do for now anyway. All I need is an off site log of what I've watched and I'm happy I don't have to manually flag calendars, don't need anything fancy really.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got really excited when I read about PlexConnect in this thread the other day but for some reason I'm having trouble getting it working on my main PC. I was able to easily get it setup on my Mac laptop as well as a barely used Bootcamp but for some reason it isn't playing nice on my desktop. It seems like it'll pull the certs fine and I'll get a basic listing of the On Deck and whatnot but poster art doesn't load and when I try to play something it just spins Loading Trailers forever. I tried opening all the necessary ports as well as just turning the firewall off entirely but it doesn't help. Reinstalled Python and regenerated new certs as well.

Any ideas? Anyone run into something similar?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I installed PlexConnect the other day onto my Win 8 box and ATV 3 and didn't run into any problems. Are you using the guide on the site? One thing that caught me out is (due to remoting in), I made a spelling mistake on one of the command line elements and this completely bodged things. A quick fix later and it worked fine. The fact you're getting to your library means it's probably not this though :(

Maybe worth checking the logs or the console output it has on screen to see if there's anything there that provides a hint?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I installed PlexConnect the other day onto my Win 8 box and ATV 3 and didn't run into any problems. Are you using the guide on the site? One thing that caught me out is (due to remoting in), I made a spelling mistake on one of the command line elements and this completely bodged things. A quick fix later and it worked fine. The fact you're getting to your library means it's probably not this though :(

Maybe worth checking the logs or the console output it has on screen to see if there's anything there that provides a hint?

I didn't have any problems with either of the two attempts I made so there must be something else interfering. The CLI stuff I cut and paste and seemed to run correctly and I've recreated them a couple times including the other win7 box I tested with. From what I can tell on the console, requests are being made and received and no errors seem to be getting generated but its almost like part of it is getting stuck. I'll get like 5 lines of xml and js stuff and then it just stops.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
With a PlexPass and using the sync feature in iOS, is it possible to use that as an automatic way to sync video and transfer them to a computer (probably via iTunes)? Like, the VLC app lets you drag/drop video in iTunes under the apps tab, and if you go to another computer, go back to that screen in iTunes, you can drag those files out of there (off the phone) right onto the new computer. It's really handy. I just want to know if the Plex sync feature would allow the same type of behavior, just without requiring me to be physically at a computer / plugged in and in iTunes when transferring to the phone.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unacknowledged posted:

With a PlexPass and using the sync feature in iOS, is it possible to use that as an automatic way to sync video and transfer them to a computer (probably via iTunes)? Like, the VLC app lets you drag/drop video in iTunes under the apps tab, and if you go to another computer, go back to that screen in iTunes, you can drag those files out of there (off the phone) right onto the new computer. It's really handy. I just want to know if the Plex sync feature would allow the same type of behavior, just without requiring me to be physically at a computer / plugged in and in iTunes when transferring to the phone.

When you sync something to your mobile device it will transcode the file. I don't think this is what you are looking for, could you not just download the file via Plex/Web?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

The Lenovo TS140 with a Core-i3 can be had for around $250-$300. Has 4 HDD bays I believe.

[edit] http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4000HUX-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2 $262 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

I have seen this mentioned multiple times, is this a pretty good one to go with? I have no problem building one myself, but I have never built a server.

Can the i3 deal with 1080p and all that junk?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

kri kri posted:

When you sync something to your mobile device it will transcode the file. I don't think this is what you are looking for, could you not just download the file via Plex/Web?

I see. I never thought to download it via the web, so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Colt Cannon posted:

Can the i3 deal with 1080p and all that junk?

Yeah, the Core i3 is very much capable of handling 1080p transcoding. How many front-end devices would the server be transcoding for with your set up?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

Yeah, the Core i3 is very much capable of handling 1080p transcoding. How many front-end devices would the server be transcoding for with your set up?

I would probably be dealing with one - three inside the network, and up to 4 outside the network. One of the ones on the network is a Chromecast, with the other two being computers.

Outside the network would be a mix of phone, computers, tablets, and maybe a Roku/Chromecast/Fire TV.

I was looking into building my own, but it looks like it would cost more than the Lenovo system.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Colt Cannon posted:

I would probably be dealing with one - three inside the network, and up to 4 outside the network. One of the ones on the network is a Chromecast, with the other two being computers.

Outside the network would be a mix of phone, computers, tablets, and maybe a Roku/Chromecast/Fire TV.

I was looking into building my own, but it looks like it would cost more than the Lenovo system.

I think he's asking how many you will be transcoding for simultaneously.

edit: transcribing = transcoding

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 3, 2014

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I think he's asking how many you will be transcribing for simultaneously.

At most I would probably have 3 or so at once.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

At most I would probably have 3 or so at once.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear :shobon:

That said, a Core i3 should definitely be enough to handle transcoding 3 streams. I'd probably up the RAM to 8GB though, if you're getting the base model with 4GB. What's your current Plex server specs if you don't mind my asking?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear :shobon:

That said, a Core i3 should definitely be enough to handle transcoding 3 streams. I'd probably up the RAM to 8GB though, if you're getting the base model with 4GB. What's your current Plex server specs if you don't mind my asking?

i5-4570 3.2
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
GTX 760

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

i5-4570 3.2
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
GTX 760

Ahh, I'm guessing that's also your main PC? The Lenovo will definitely be a solid dedicated Plex server. Inside your network, the computers should direct play content just fine through Plex Home Theater. Only the Chromecast will require transcoding in-home, though you can edit the XML file to where you don't have to transcode to the Chromecast, but that's only worthwhile if you have decent/strong WiFi. More info on that here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104606-my-best-video-setting-for-chromecast-and-android/

Outside of your home network, I don't think transcoding multiple streams to phones our tablets remotely should be an issue. Performance would depend more on your internet upload speed.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is my best bet for a cheap Plex server? That Lenovo posted above looks good but it's maybe a bit too big?

All it needs to do is handle backups from my main PC and transcode to at most two Plex devices - one at home, one outside of local network. Are there any off-the-shelf NAS solutions that will work? Or should I just stick with something like the Lenovo and throw a lightweight Linux distro on it?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

teagone posted:

The Lenovo TS140 with a Core-i3 can be had for around $250-$300. Has 4 HDD bays I believe.

[edit] http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4000HUX-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2 $262 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

One final question, what's the fan noise like on those? I'm currently using an old C2D laptop with a very quiet fan but it's been choking on some transcoding. I've been searching for the best but near-silent NAS+Downloader+Plex+Crashplan machine (probably to use something like OpenMediaVault/UbuntuServer+PMS+Crashplan on) but it has to be in my living room.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does changing the remote streaming quality on my server change it on all my clients then as well?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the cheapest way to get Plex on a SD TV? Is there a Wii home-brew client? or any RCA cable DNLA devices?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

What's the cheapest way to get Plex on a SD TV? Is there a Wii home-brew client? or any RCA cable DNLA devices?

Possibly Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, and using the RCA out cable and 3.5mm audio cable?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Heners_UK posted:

Possibly Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, and using the RCA out cable and 3.5mm audio cable?

Awesome. Always wanted an excuse for a PI.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

Awesome. Always wanted an excuse for a PI.

I wrote a post on using them on the first page.

They work like champs over HDMI too when you upgrade to HD TV...

BTW... Why a standard definition TV?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Heners_UK posted:

I wrote a post on using them on the first page.

They work like champs over HDMI too when you upgrade to HD TV...

BTW... Why a standard definition TV?

Eh, I have a CRT TV from '91, too. It still works and I'll upgrade it when I'm not wasting money on computer hardware. I just don't care that much about TV as long as I can watch stuff on it occasionally. At least I don't care enough to spend a few hundred bucks on a new TV. I've got a rasberry pi running openelec for streaming stuff to it and the digital transport adapter from fios has pretty good image quality. It's not like I'm against HDTV or anything, it's just extremely low on the list of stuff to spend money on unless it dies.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have one of those really nice Toshiba's from the early 00s that has a perfect spot in the living room. It looks and sounds so great that there was no reason to replace it. I have two other HDTVs that are great with chrome cast and a PS3 but I always wanted that Toshiba to play Plex when my nephews are over. That's all :)

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Seeing as the Amazon FireTV is now coming out in the UK, i was wondering if the 5.1 issue has been fixed through Plex yet? Any ideas because this seems like a really good option to keep my server other than behind the TV.

Just in advance I have got a chromecast but I would really like a wired option.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I'm just getting caught up on Plex which I hadn't really been paying attention to...

I currently use WDTV's but it looks like I can actually use Plex directly with my Samsung smart TV. Does that work fairly seemlessly?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm just getting caught up on Plex which I hadn't really been paying attention to...

I currently use WDTV's but it looks like I can actually use Plex directly with my Samsung smart TV. Does that work fairly seemlessly?

Does your TV have a built in Plex app? If so, yeah it'll work pretty much flawlessly. Plex is pretty much as easy as it gets for a streaming home soloution.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does your TV have a built in Plex app? If so, yeah it'll work pretty much flawlessly. Plex is pretty much as easy as it gets for a streaming home soloution.

DNLA is also an excellent option, and works well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has DNLA gotten vastly better then in the last few years? Because it used to be absolutely dreadful.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Apparently it does, so looks like I'm good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Heners_UK posted:

DNLA is also an excellent option, and works well.

This is true, but DLNA doesn't offer some of the fancier features that the Plex app offers.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has DNLA gotten vastly better then in the last few years? Because it used to be absolutely dreadful.

It's really device dependent. Some devices play nicely together, others don't. Even though it's supposed to be a standard, things don't always work out I guess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Man, I spent the last few nights really fighting with my Plex, iMac, and Roku trying to get it to work right. Shows and movies kept dropping and freezing left and right. (still haven't been able to catch the new Boardwalk Empire thanks to HBO Go not being able to chromecast!) Finally, it dawned on me to check out whether Wifi was on or not on the server (iMac) and low and behold the Cat5 connection I have going to the router (clip broke off, too lazy to run new cable or put new clip on) slipped out of the port and the iMac defaulted to Wifi.

Plugged it back in and everything is back to running perfectly. God I love Plex. Give it enough local bandwidth and it'll work magically.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What with the most recent version of PLEX screwing up on renamed files. I hit a issue after adding videos to PLEX where I found out they were renamed wrong. But when I refresh them, it instead keeps the name that was assigned to previously, and the only option is to manually rename the videos. Any thumbnail assigned are stuck on that video now as punishment.

Also random question that I am betting isn't possible, but is there a way to make a playlist that plays a random episode from a tv show, but then plays a commercial block video in-between the next random episode?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rirse posted:

Also random question that I am betting isn't possible, but is there a way to make a playlist that plays a random episode from a tv show, but then plays a commercial block video in-between the next random episode?
Why? The commercial block specifically.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GutBomb posted:

Why? The commercial block specifically.

I just want to make a weird "80's/90's TV" playlist using random episodes of a show (like how they were always airred) along with 80's/90's ads in-between the shows to create the effect. Ad blocks like this I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTikQ4U-bI

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is anyone having problems using Plex with LG TVs' built in Media Link feature? I've been using that for well over a year now, but today, it stopped displaying the video libraries. I noticed that there's a thread in the Plex forum with a number of posts from just this month describing the same situation. The original poster from a few months ago also seemed to have the same problem, and described the fix as "repairing the Plex installation"--I took that to mean he ran the installer again, but that didn't work for me.

It was working fine as late as last night, but when I turned the TV on this morning, it had already stopped showing the video listing. Unless Plex or the TV silently updated, they haven't been updated recently (well, I updated Plex after the problem started, but that didn't fix it). I can still see everything fine if I access Plex via the web interface, or even via the same TV's DLNA feature, but not via its Media Link feature.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Web App - Activity

So, nothing shows up here when I play a file, either to my tv or to my phone. I don't even see the exclamation point telling me something is happening.

Any ideas on why this is?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just had an email newsletter, PlexPass rates go up on 29 September. Lifetime cost is doubling! Only affects new subscriptions after that date.

Edit: Plex blog post on the subject

Edit again: if you want a lifetime pass for $79, purchase it now before the increase takes effect.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that heads up. I wish I could see more usage scenarios for me to justify PlexPass. I know if you get an annual pass you can pro-rata it, would be interesting to know which rate they use.