Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Barristicide posted:

Hey, does anyone know if Big Brother Tsien makes an appearance in any of the official Feng Shui sourcebooks? I know he appears in the Johnny Tso stories that were in the front of the original full color core rulebook.

I'd like to use him in an adventure. I could stat him up myself, of course, but I'm curious to see if there's anything official.

Yeah, he's in Back For Seconds. Triad boss who hit the big time, Lotus magic released his inner demon and gave him a transform ability. Guns, Martial Arts, Creature Powers -- most of his schticks are Creature. Back For Seconds is still one of the best Feng Shui sourcebooks. Good luck finding it, though -- it was a Daedalus release, so no PDF is available.

Edit: actually, screw it, Jose Garcia isn't going to complain:

Stats: Bod 13, Chi 0 (Mag 9), Mnd 6, Ref 8
Skills: Creature Powers 13, Deceit 8, Guns 14, Info/Gangland Politics 12, Intimidation 11 (14 as demon), Leadership 11, Martial Arts 14
Gun Schticks: Lightning Reload x3
Creature Schticks: Conditional Escalation (+1 Bod, when hit by an opponent using a Fu power), Immune to Blast schticks (except for cold/ice), Inevitable Comeback, Rancid Breath, Transformation (human to demon)
Weapons: Desert Eagle .50 Magnum (12/3/9+1), Mossberg Special Purpose (13/5/9)

Thanlis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Cool! Many thanks!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So September 17th is apparently when the kickstarter will kick off, per Ken and Robin talk about stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unseenlibrarian posted:

So September 17th is apparently when the kickstarter will kick off, per Ken and Robin talk about stuff.
If they post a preview link, I will f5 until it exists. For the next 3 weeks.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
http://atlas-games.com/in/kickstartfengshui2/

You can sign up to be notified the very instant it goes live, anyways.

They also said at the GenCon panel that they're shooting for a summer 2015 ship date at the latest and will be trying to avoid kickstarter rewards or stretch goals that will delay the process.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, is anyone else still running/playing Feng Shui or is everybody waiting for the sequel?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

So, is anyone else still running/playing Feng Shui or is everybody waiting for the sequel?

Playtest was fun, but I'm using it more for one shots.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The One Shot podcast will be doing a Feng Shui 2 actual play, releasing tomorrow I believe. I think they might be interviewing one of the creators as well. They ran a game in the original ruleset last year, recommend checking it out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A reminder that the Kickstarter launches on the 17th!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have to say, a lot of what I heard about the setting changes and the rules in Feng Shui 2 don't actually sound promising to me. It's probably mostly a function of not having seen them for myself, but the game sounds a lot less wild and a lot more boring if you can only activate abilities a couple times a session, etc.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

I have to say, a lot of what I heard about the setting changes and the rules in Feng Shui 2 don't actually sound promising to me. It's probably mostly a function of not having seen them for myself, but the game sounds a lot less wild and a lot more boring if you can only activate abilities a couple times a session, etc.
There was stuff that needed fixed. But it still worked better overall, imo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Robin Laws just said that the KS will be going live at 8pm Eastern. Just FYI.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/feng-shui-2-action-movie-roleplaying-game-by-robin

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And already funded. :v:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Us Innerwalkers don't mess around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have to tut tut at a couple of the archtypes from the playtest rules being stretch goals, even if the first of them has already been blown away like a mook.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I have to tut tut at a couple of the archtypes from the playtest rules being stretch goals, even if the first of them has already been blown away like a mook.
I think they needed SOMETHING. Really, this will make all the money. Full color will be done in an hour or so, I expect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Huh... the draft looks almost identical to the playtest so far. That's not good. The Gene Freak, for example, is still busted to hell. Full Metal Nutball is improved, though...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given that the book's not coming out until next August, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this as a more widespread playtest.

e: And they just hit the second stretch goal.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 18, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Given that the book's not coming out until next August, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this as a more widespread playtest.

e: And they just hit the second stretch goal.
Yeah. My biggest issue with the playtest is still present, though - the "cost of doing business" expenses. Guns get damage for "free" while other classes, to get reasonable damage, need to spend their session-based resources.

The Martial Artist, for example, needs to spend 1 chi to get their damage up to 12. Not huge, but it's 1 less Fortune roll.

The Gene Freak is the worst here, fwiw.

e: On the good side, $15 for PDF Pack 1 is awesome.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And now Stretch Goal 3 is out, so full color it is!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It funded so fast there was whiplash.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
So... The Gene Freak is a stretch goal too? I wonder how many other archetypes are secret stretch goals.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

So... The Gene Freak is a stretch goal too? I wonder how many other archetypes are secret stretch goals.
Probably anything that wasn't in the original book?

Also? Swordmaster archetype. :black101:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I mentioned in the KS thread thet there's this "you have to have stretch goals" mindset with backers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a case of just adding "fake" goals to meet people's perception. I'm just guessing though.

Was the swordmaster archetype in the original docs? I don't remember and I don't know where my copy went to check.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was the swordmaster archetype in the original docs? I don't remember and I don't know where my copy went to check.

Robin Laws mentioned on google plus that there were originally 35 archetypes in the pre-KS document, so the sword master was added to make it a more auspicious 36. So I think it's new.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I mentioned in the KS thread thet there's this "you have to have stretch goals" mindset with backers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a case of just adding "fake" goals to meet people's perception. I'm just guessing though.

Nope, it's brand new. It's been sorely needed, too.

Goddamn this KS is on fire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, I'm in. I could use a few of these things on PDF as it is, and if FS2 turns out awesome, all the better.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Sionak posted:

Robin Laws mentioned on google plus that there were originally 35 archetypes in the pre-KS document, so the sword master was added to make it a more auspicious 36. So I think it's new.

This is obviously a reference to Wu Tang 36 Chambers and I love it.

Just backed the kickstarter so really going to enjoy this. I do hope they bring back the Dallas Rockets archetype back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I hate basically everything about the Dallas Rocket fluff (The whole Texas War of Independence was some pretty lovely stuff, historically, and I just can't get into their concept) but goddamn is Death O Rama the best loving Unique Schtick in the game.

Also, they can't bring back the Dallas Rockets as the Texas DMZ is a crater along with everything else about Buro, unfortunately.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They've added the pledge reward matrix guide thingy.

I'm in for just the PDFs and hardcopy right now; I'm debating the dice, screen, and shot counter.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

They've added the pledge reward matrix guide thingy.

I'm in for just the PDFs and hardcopy right now; I'm debating the dice, screen, and shot counter.

I understand why they do this, but it's always frustrating to not have those small extras as add-ons. As it stands it's $60 over the physical book for a GM screen, a nice looking shot counter with a set of tokens, and some chintzy looking dice.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

Huh... the draft looks almost identical to the playtest so far. That's not good. The Gene Freak, for example, is still busted to hell. Full Metal Nutball is improved, though...
I am dumb and I take this all back.

Most of the rule concerns we had were actually fixed. I was focused on the wrong things. Sorry, Atlas!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Most of the rule concerns we had were actually fixed. I was focused on the wrong things. Sorry, Atlas!

How did the Gene Freak change out of curiosity? (Yes, I could check both documents - but don't remember why it was so busted, merely that it looked bad and apparently didn't even play that well). The Nutball? Bag full of guns is a huge improvement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed that the notes I sent them were addressed (like how the Cyborg was pretty much immortal). That's pretty cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

neonchameleon posted:

How did the Gene Freak change out of curiosity? (Yes, I could check both documents - but don't remember why it was so busted, merely that it looked bad and apparently didn't even play that well). The Nutball? Bag full of guns is a huge improvement.

Gene Freak is still busted. I'm talking about other stuff.

Also, the new swordsman is busted as hell Holy poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed that the notes I sent them were addressed (like how the Cyborg was pretty much immortal). That's pretty cool.
Yeah they even incorporated my suggestion for handling Mook attacks - just roll dice, keep 6's, go from there.

I went point by point through my feedback and the stuff that wasn't changed wasn't so much bugs as difference of opinion. And I get the feeling more time was spent on core archetypes instead of weird stuff like that gene freak.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

dwarf74 posted:

Gene Freak is still busted. I'm talking about other stuff.

Also, the new swordsman is busted as hell Holy poo poo.

What's wrong with the Swordmaster?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LeSquide posted:

What's wrong with the Swordmaster?

Bloodied blade +backslash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Check out the Masked Avenger's new schtick setup. In the playtest I had, he just got speed bonuses to attacking mooks and all mooks lost a shot every time he gunned one down. Pretty cool.

He doesn't have those bonuses anymore. Instead, whenever he caps a mook, 3 (or was it 4?) other mooks now just straight up attempt to flee the fight. :stare:

• Locked thread