Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Clearly you hyper competitive and aggressive lawyers have made it a contest to be the first to make fun of someone who comes with a bad question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

Hey gently caress you I don't give a poo poo about goku

Yeah whatever, you have a gokusome in your avatar.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

How do i book my clients for time i spend getting the answers to their legal inquiries from the something awful dot Com message board about goatse and goku?

Legal research? Third party consultation?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

How do i book my clients for time i spend getting the answers to their legal inquiries from the something awful dot Com message board about goatse and goku?

Under "Goku", like everyone else?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah whatever, you have a gokusome in your avatar.

This doesn't leave this board, you hear me?

I can't let people know how much I care for goku's pants. I'll be ruined.

E: VVV exactly. I can't have this getting out.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 25, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

NancyPants posted:

This doesn't leave this board, you hear me?

I can't let people know how much I care for goku's pants. I'll be ruined.

Nancy is gonna be pissed.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Consulting an expert witness obviously

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

euphronius posted:

Whether or not a suicide note is a will depends on the state and the content of the note.

Sorry for necroing this. Assuming the state in question recognizes holographic wills, and they don't doubt that the deceased actually wrote it, what should the content be? Is naming specific people and items good enough?

A different issue:

I have friends (married couple) who took in a child that was not theirs. The mother is a train wreck, and the kid was literally hiding out in a local park after school, sometimes until the middle of the night or the next morning. He had established hidey-holes for food and clothes, he had mapped out places to hide from bullies and dangerous adults, the whole situation was loving insane. Anyway, they put a roof over this kid's head, fed him, got him going to school (and doing well), got him into martial arts classes, and generally were very, very good for this kid. This boy is twelve or thirteen, now.

The mom moved out of state with her psychopathic abuser boyfriend (not her first, both myself and my friend have worked with this woman in the past.) She was going to take the kid with her, despite the fact that a month earlier, her neighbors had to hide her in the trunk of their car and sneak her out of the neighborhood because her boyfriend was so out of control. My friends convinced her to leave the kid with them, and even got some paperwork so they could do things like enroll him for the new school year and whatnot.

Come to find out, the mother had already given custody (not sure exactly what this entailed, but there was some sort of legal documentation involved) to the boy's aunt. All of a sudden, the aunt wants the kid. There's a hearing, and, despite a suicide attempt a few weeks earlier, and the kid basically begging to stay with my friends, the courts took him away and gave him to the aunt. Now, he's living in some little shithole of 1,000 people in New Mexico with the suicidal aunt (for the record, the suicidal aunt has nothing to do with my other question.) The power just got cut off, the husband has been screwing every woman he can get his hands on, which has apparently caused a lot of problems in the household, to the point where the cheater called the cops on the crazy aunt a few days back. They're trying to keep the boy incommunicado, but he occasionally manages to get messages to my friends on Facebook. There's no food in the house, the aunt has no money and half a tank of gas, etc. Now, no one has heard from the boy in a few days, and according to what they can find out from others, the aunt hasn't been seen. The school says the kid hasn't been in for two or three days. My friends called CPS, and they said they can't do anything. Apparently, you have to call the cops to get anyone to look into this. They're reluctant to call the cops, because if it turns out the kid is just home sick or something, they don't want the aunt to be able to say they've been harassing her.

I know this cannot be solved online, and there are already lawyers involved. My buddy sold his motorcycle, but the legal bills add up fast, and things seem to be deteriorating, with the kid and the aunt falling off the grid. I am just wondering if there is any help for people in this situation. Maybe organizations that help people deal with this sort of nonsense, or who can help navigate red tape, or help tell them who to contact, what forms to fill out, and so on at less than $300/hour.

I don't really expect this thread can help with this, but I really want to see this kid come back to the home that is best for him, and the home he wants to be in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Centripetal Horse posted:

Sorry for necroing this. Assuming the state in question recognizes holographic wills, and they don't doubt that the deceased actually wrote it, what should the content be? Is naming specific people and items good enough?

Depends on the state. As a practical matter, if you don't have much property, then its not likely that someone finds your tractor wheel and takes it down to the probate court to apply to probate your estate.

Centripetal Horse posted:

A different issue:

Your friends have an uphill battle, and unless they have enough money (and even if they do) their chances for success aren't very good.

I'm sorry.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Your friends have an uphill battle, and unless they have enough money (and even if they do) their chances for success aren't very good.

I'm sorry.

Yep, this is going to be a really tough one, unfortunately. There are some non-profits that deal with juvenile dependency law, although they will be very limited in what they can do. I found this one in New Mexico: http://pegasuslaw.org/. It's maybe worth a try to see if they have any resources, but if lawyers are already involved, they probably can't do more than what a lawyer could.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

In Massachusetts, does a Consular Report of Birth Abroad satisfy the requirement for a long form birth certificate for someone petitioning to change their name?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I just wanted to post here because it is labor day and everywhere I need to contact is closed.

I bought a house recently, and closed on the 27th. Moved in on the 30th, on the 31st while running the washer we had a massive plumbing issue. Water backed out of the toilets and shower.

We had it snaked and camera'd, cost $250. It's an old house and had to be done from the roof. The line is rotted and destroyed, and both plumbers say there is no way that the previous owners could not know. Estimated cost to fix 12,000-15,000.

Our Neighbors said that the previous owner had issues with the sewage. Our Realtor contacted their Realtor and said the owner admitted to having it snaked "once". Many other houses in the same cul de sac have had the same problem and had their main drain lines replaced.

There was no disclosure about this in the disclosure document. The one plumber says it looks to have been snaked several times. My realtor today told me the listing agent told her he was aware there had been issues in the past.

I'm going to contact lawyers tomorrow, but I just wanted to know how likely this is to be ok? I feel like it's just he said she said right now, but the damage is extensive and could not have happened in one week, and I don't know if a lawyer will be able to pull up records for previous plumbing done by the previous owner. Just looking to get a little peace of mind since I'm sitting here worrying.

I had a home inspection done, nothing came up. He ran the water and flushed to toilet, the issue happened when the washer was run.

After they snaked it out yesterday we were able to shower, use the toilet (we placed no toilet paper in the toilet, throwing it out just in case) and run the clothes washer. This morning I went #2 (no toilet paper) and the toilet backed up again. I was able to run water down the line to get the waste down and everything is going again.

I documented everything with video and pictures.

I'm trying to settle this out of court, but as of right now the seller is saying they were unaware of any major problems, though they said to our neighbors and their Realtor they did have issues. I just want a little peace of mind that if I do have to take this to court it won't just boil down to hearsay. Or am I hosed and will have to pay it myself :(

edit: I live in Mesa, AZ. Small claims court is only $3,500 here :(

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 1, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Obese Janissary posted:

I just wanted to post here because it is labor day and everywhere I need to contact is closed.

This concept is called Latent Defect. You have better luck of a good outcome because it's something that wouldn't necessarily have come up during the inspection.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Let's say someone in Ohio was collecting unemployment and trying to start a freelance business. How does that work? Would that person then have to report all earnings to the unemployment bureau? The unemployment wouldn't stop in that instance, would it? Starting up a freelance business from the ground-up is tough and $100 a week is obviously not enough to live off of at first. Said person is afraid to apply for unemployment because of this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So this will probably filed under "sucks to be you" without any solution, but some guidance would be appreciated.

My roommate stole my car and then did something to cause it to break down, leaving it abandoned. Except all I have is circumstantial evidence. I don't want to just assume, but I really can't see it any other way.

I was away on vacation and I was notified by my family that my car, that had been left by my apartment, showed up abandoned a couple towns over, no signs of a break in or hotwiring. My roommate knew I was away because I told him I was up in New Hampshire (I live in MA)
The woman who saw and ok'd the car being left in her driveway "temporarily" described a couple who match my roommate and his girlfriend, but it was 4am so that's not reliable.

I only have one car key, and it was left in my room next to my computer when I went away.

I realize that's not enough to go on, but he knew I was away, him and his girlfriend are the only ones with access to the key, only one key, no sign of forced entry, and he knew where my car was. He has a history of legal trouble, but I didn't think this would happen.

I filed a police report even though it was located before I even knew it was stolen. I don't think they do fingerprints, so it's really eyewitness testimony and circumstantial evidence. I wouldn't really care if he just owned up to it, I'd only get pissed off and get over it. But if he blew the engine or something, that is a huge problem.

So now, just follow up with the police, file a stolen vehicle report with my insurance even though I have it now, and pray? Or is there anything more I can do?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 1, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Moneyball posted:

So now, just follow up with the police, file a stolen vehicle report with my insurance even though I have it now, and pray? Or is there anything more I can do?

If you had comprehensive coverage, that should cover any damages to the car that occurred during the theft, so if the damage was actually caused by something the thief did and it wasn't just something that happened to break while they were driving it, your insurance should at least pay for repairs (or fair market value for replacement if the damage is serious enough to total the car). Otherwise, you should just tell the police what you wrote here (about your roommate having access to a key, and the identity of the witness who can provide a description of the occupants of the car when it was abandoned) and let them handle the investigation. And if you really believe it was your roommate who took it, of course, I'd take precautions to secure your other valuables until you kick him out or move out.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Obese Janissary posted:

I documented everything with video and pictures.

He took pictures of his poop, ya'll.

In all seriousness, you need to get a lawyer; all we can do is try to help you understand the nature of your problem. Since you've closed, the bank now has a note on the house and the sellers (or their bank) has your bank's money, so essentially your options for recovery here are to have them "buy back" the house, or pay for the repairs.

Most people don't have that kind of cash lying around, so they would have to finance the purchase of the house from you, or come up with the money for repairs.

To get them to do that almost certainly will not be easy, and almost certainly require a lawyer. You need to discuss your options with one, and also ask whether Arizona has a "statutory fraud relating to real estate" cause of action or something approximate that might allow you to recover your attorney's fees.

From AZ disclosure Form:

You also should grab a copy of the "seller's disclosure" form from the transaction, and also document the names, addresses, and relationships to the situation of all the people you've talked to about this (neighbors, plumbers, realtors, etc.). Further, get invoices and estimates from the plumbers. Bring all this to your initial consultation with the attorney.

Remember, to rescind the sale of the house (make them buy it back), or get the sellers to pay for all the repairs, or something approximate to those two is going to take time. This is not an easy fix.

As to the likelihood of your success, If you were my client, in my state I would like your chances, but only a lawyer in your jurisdiction could tell you for sure.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Obese Janissary posted:

I just want a little peace of mind that if I do have to take this to court it won't just boil down to hearsay. Or am I hosed and will have to pay it myself :(

If the question is, "did they know about the plumbing problem", then the answer will depend on the strength of your evidence, from the plumber's analysis, to the neighbors comments, to the general fact that its difficult to imagine that these people didn't know about this, vs. Them swearing up and down they had no idea.

If the question is, "was there a latent defect in the purchase" then it kind of doesn't matter whether they knew about it or not.

The reality here is that only a local lawyer can tell you which of these questions(or which others) need to be asked.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
thanks for the info and advice on what to bring to the initial consult. I'll be calling as soon as offices open in the morning. The extent of the damage is pretty bad, and I contacted my mortgage department today and they told me to contact my lender liaison tomorrow for help as well. Here's hoping I suppose.

My Realtor and her broker have also drafted a letter to urge the seller and their broker to address this issue, though I don't know what was exactly written, just that they sent it. I'll try to hold my fears at bay tonight and figure this out in the morning.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I post way too much in this thread but you guys are smart and interesting and I like learning. This is pretty much hypothetical because I am not going to do anything about it I'm just curious if the laws are different in the US vs Canada.

I placed an order and used a %off coupon. When the coupon was applied it also removed the shipping charge. Turns out that was a mistake with the website and the shipping was supposed to be charged. I totally understand it was a mistake and would have been happy to pay the shipping charge. My question is the company didn't ask me if I was alright paying the charge or if I wanted to cancel the order or whatever, they just sent an email and said there was an "glitch with the shipping company" shipping should have been $30 and they went ahead and charged it to my card.

I used to work in management for a company in Canada and if we had done that we would have gotten a nasty letter and a fine from I believe the Ministry of Consumer Services (but I am senile and could be wrong about which ministry it would be) for putting through an unauthorized charge.

Is that kind of thing acceptable in the US or is this just another example of this terrible company being terrible?

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
My friend is a salaried employee and works as a programmer in MA. His company requires him to do extra out of work things, like go to programming meet-ups and company events and stuff like that. In a couple of weeks, they are having a mandatory "company retreat", where they have to work a whole day on Wed and then drive 2 hours up to Maine and camp out there until Sunday morning. My friend has no problem doing this sort of stuff, but I think it's kind of crazy to require your employees to do it.

Is this legal? He doesn't get paid for his extra time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Queen Elizatits posted:

I post way too much in this thread but you guys are smart and interesting and I like learning. This is pretty much hypothetical because I am not going to do anything about it I'm just curious if the laws are different in the US vs Canada.

I placed an order and used a %off coupon. When the coupon was applied it also removed the shipping charge. Turns out that was a mistake with the website and the shipping was supposed to be charged. I totally understand it was a mistake and would have been happy to pay the shipping charge. My question is the company didn't ask me if I was alright paying the charge or if I wanted to cancel the order or whatever, they just sent an email and said there was an "glitch with the shipping company" shipping should have been $30 and they went ahead and charged it to my card.

I used to work in management for a company in Canada and if we had done that we would have gotten a nasty letter and a fine from I believe the Ministry of Consumer Services (but I am senile and could be wrong about which ministry it would be) for putting through an unauthorized charge.

Is that kind of thing acceptable in the US or is this just another example of this terrible company being terrible?

If you agreed to pay $X.xx for (Your Item + Shipping), then they realistically shouldn't be permitted to charge you another $30.00, no matter what they say it is for. A "shipping and handling" fee doesn't get sent directly to fed-ex, or whoever. It goes into their bank account just the same as your payment for the item. If its $40.00 + $30.00 "shipping and handling" they could just charge you $70.00, but that doesn't advertise as well.

As for Americans, most people in 'Murica are pretty adamant about things like that, and would get pissed - and we like to bitch, too.

The way charge-backs work here (generally, and in all states I'm aware of) is you call your bank and say, "stop payment, these canadians are trying to gently caress me out of $30.00 and I want to dispute the charges." Then, your bank will stop the payment, and either investigate the charge, or shift the burden to the website to demand your money from you.

I'm not aware of any state where the government gets involved in these things.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

idontcare posted:

My friend is a salaried employee and works as a programmer in MA. His company requires him to do extra out of work things, like go to programming meet-ups and company events and stuff like that. In a couple of weeks, they are having a mandatory "company retreat", where they have to work a whole day on Wed and then drive 2 hours up to Maine and camp out there until Sunday morning. My friend has no problem doing this sort of stuff, but I think it's kind of crazy to require your employees to do it.

Is this legal? He doesn't get paid for his extra time.

Depends on the nature of his company, and the labor laws of MA. In Texas, an entirely private company of the proper size and type could absolutely require that sort of thing without any ramifications from State or Federal authorities.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Depends on the nature of his company, and the labor laws of MA. In Texas, an entirely private company of the proper size and type could absolutely require that sort of thing without any ramifications from State or Federal authorities.

Even if it is not legal for the company to make attendance of a non-paid retreat mandatory, it is probably perfectly legal for them to do things to punish people who refuse to attend. If it was illegal and a group of employees asserted their rights and refused to attend, who do you think would be passed over the next time they gave out raises and promotions?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

blarzgh posted:

If you agreed to pay $X.xx for (Your Item + Shipping), then they realistically shouldn't be permitted to charge you another $30.00, no matter what they say it is for. A "shipping and handling" fee doesn't get sent directly to fed-ex, or whoever. It goes into their bank account just the same as your payment for the item. If its $40.00 + $30.00 "shipping and handling" they could just charge you $70.00, but that doesn't advertise as well.

As for Americans, most people in 'Murica are pretty adamant about things like that, and would get pissed - and we like to bitch, too.

The way charge-backs work here (generally, and in all states I'm aware of) is you call your bank and say, "stop payment, these canadians are trying to gently caress me out of $30.00 and I want to dispute the charges." Then, your bank will stop the payment, and either investigate the charge, or shift the burden to the website to demand your money from you.

I'm not aware of any state where the government gets involved in these things.

Oooh interesting I never thought about getting the bank involved thank you. I was just going to let the thing slide and pay the extra charge but then they called me a few hours later and were missing half of one of the fabrics that they charged me for and wanted to know if I would mind just taking it as is for the same price so I cancelled the entire order. I guess I'll give them a few days for it to show as cancelled under my online account with them and if not I will call the bank.

Thanks again blarzgh, your posts are always very informative

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Lowly posted:

Even if it is not legal for the company to make attendance of a non-paid retreat mandatory, it is probably perfectly legal for them to do things to punish people who refuse to attend. If it was illegal and a group of employees asserted their rights and refused to attend, who do you think would be passed over the next time they gave out raises and promotions?

Actually, a group of employees asserting their rights collectively and being punished for it raises some interesting issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Labor_Relations_Act

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Queen Elizatits posted:

Oooh interesting I never thought about getting the bank involved thank you. I was just going to let the thing slide and pay the extra charge but then they called me a few hours later and were missing half of one of the fabrics that they charged me for and wanted to know if I would mind just taking it as is for the same price so I cancelled the entire order. I guess I'll give them a few days for it to show as cancelled under my online account with them and if not I will call the bank.

Thanks again blarzgh, your posts are always very informative

They called to see if you would accept half your order at full price? What company is this? I want to make sure I never buy from them.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Queen Elizatits posted:

a fine from I believe the Ministry of Consumer Services

In addition to the blarzghinator, there is no such (functional) thing in the U.S. There is a constellation of consumer protection laws, but most all are enforced by giving the consumer a right to sue. In practice, creditors violate the law up to the point where the cost of lawsuits exceed their success at collecting.

Efforts to create a U.S. consumer protection agency, like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, have been largely hamstrung by political horsecrap and lack any meaningful enforcement.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

They called to see if you would accept half your order at full price? What company is this? I want to make sure I never buy from them.

Yeah - name names. It sounds like a company we all want to avoid.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lowly posted:

Generally, states who have labor protection laws that would protect that sort of thing also provide civil remedies for "adverse employment actions" such as the ones described in your post.

Edit: Beaten /\woozladicus/\

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Guy Axlerod posted:

I don't know how to quote multiple posts on the mobile app but it is a fabric company called spandex world. I should clarify it wasn't half of the entire order it was half of one fabric so I think 1/8 of the order.

For shits and giggles I have the email they sent me where they told me they were charging more money to the card without asking if anyone cares to read that. It really is in my opinion one of the worst fabric companies I have ever dealt with

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd be dialing my card company while I printed that e-mail if a company tried that poo poo. They are within their rights to cancel the order if they hosed up and you don't wanna pay the difference, but just charging it isn't kosher.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Queen Elizatits posted:

spandex world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Many employees are exempt from federal overtime laws.

Like poor lawyers :(

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

I make leggings for a living and I can't remember how much exactly I spent with that company over the years but I figured out one year I was responsible for 2.3% of their profits. So I mean not huge but not insignificant.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Many employees are exempt from federal overtime laws.

Like poor lawyers :(

Except in doc review, which is pretty much the only good thing to say about doc review.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Except in doc review, which is pretty much the only good thing to say about doc review.

hahah that is sad but also somewhat awesome. I did not know that.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
OT in doc review is sweet as hell. The job isn't stressful so doing like 60-70 hours a week is just boring rather than hard. And the firm is often happy about overtime because they just bill it to the client. They'll have a litigation budget and the goal is to burn through it before the client settles.

"All hands on deck, we need everyone this weekend for... uhh... Re-review. That's right, we're double checking everything because uhhh... we strive for the highest level of accuracy!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ibntumart posted:

I don't think this is actually true, but rather part of the business model. I know you don't get time and a half unless the company feels generous (aka can't convince anyone to come in and work extra hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Aaarrggh....geez I didn't want to have to spill this poo poo, but here goes:

My ex-wife (divorced finalized in January) got knocked up around October/November of last year by her boyfriend or whomever. We were separated, but I didn't file for divorce until early December.

I got a call from the birth certificate/medical records department at the hospital where she recently had the child apparently. They asked me to come in and sign a 3-party Waiver of Paternity affidavit. (this is in Louisiana). Bascially, if I sign, I'm free & clear. If I don't sign within the next two weeks, the state will list me as the father on the birth certificate & I will be presumed the legal father.

Anyone in family law ever run across cases like this?