Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

In the US at least, you can be fired for any reason even if it's not legal because they can easily lie about their reasons.

And I'd be shocked if the UK was somehow LESS protective of workers in this instance than the US is. But ya, they can still lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong but even if they do lie it's still probably more difficult for employers to gently caress a worker out of unemployment than in the US.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In any case, probationary means you can get fired pretty easily.

Is this paid overtime? Was it not mentioned during the hiring process?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FrozenVent posted:

That's an important distinction.

"Can I get fired for opting out of totally optional, compensated OT" is a different question than "Can I get fired for hitting the bricks at 5pm every single day"

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah it's paid at the normal rate. They said something like "there's plenty of overtime if you want it" at the interview. There's always overtime available because they're short staffed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would probably put in a bunch of hours personally. Make some money, show you kick rear end, bust through the probation period.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Lazerbeam posted:

Hi guys, quick question: Can you get fired for not doing overtime? I'm 1 month into my 6 month probation period and I was wondering if my lack of interest in optional overtime will lead to me being let go at the end of my probation. I work in social care in the UK if that makes a difference.

Most employment contracts I've seen have clauses for 'reasonable expected overtime' - like if in a mechanic's garage, everyone downed tools at exactly 5PM rather than putting in an extra quarter of an hour OT to get the job done.

Of course there's a difference between what's a 'reasonable overtime' request and what's a result of poor planning/staffing on your manager's part; I'd do what you feel comfortable with, within the bounds of your contract of course, and if they get funny about it there's always HR. ACAS if you'd rather keep it quiet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding PTO, even here in communist Europe they can and will force you to take PTO, in some cases even if nobody actually wants that.

Which is why I literally spent this whole Saturday planning a long vacation that won't bankrupt me so I don't have to sit at home at the end of the year. What discovered is that having enough disposable income to have ambitions but not enough to execute on them without an exhausting amount of research, planning and general :spergin: loving sucks.

Specifically, unless I take this flight with a 15 hour layover that departs from a city 5 hours away, I'd need to save an extra month for it. Unless I depart from another city, then the flight costs exactly as much and it's twice more expensive to get to that city. But my friend lives there so I can consider visiting him a sunk cost as I'd want to do that anyway... but it's going to be November so why would I go then instead of now when it's still nice and warm. Maybe if I stay long enough for the Christmas markets... fuuuck I need a drink :suicide:

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I would probably put in a bunch of hours personally. Make some money, show you kick rear end, bust through the probation period.

spincube posted:

Most employment contracts I've seen have clauses for 'reasonable expected overtime' - like if in a mechanic's garage, everyone downed tools at exactly 5PM rather than putting in an extra quarter of an hour OT to get the job done.

Of course there's a difference between what's a 'reasonable overtime' request and what's a result of poor planning/staffing on your manager's part; I'd do what you feel comfortable with, within the bounds of your contract of course, and if they get funny about it there's always HR. ACAS if you'd rather keep it quiet.

Thanks guys :) I'll probably pick up a few extra shifts to look good and save the money.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Anybody else have a problem logging into Mint the past couple days or is it just me?

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

moana posted:

Anybody else have a problem logging into Mint the past couple days or is it just me?

Not just you, its been awful the past 2-3 days. I can't even log in at the moment.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I had to remove several accounts from Mint. I kept getting locked out of certain accounts for exceeding the login tries because Mint kept messing up.

Here's a question: Let's say you have some amount of money that's unspoken for in your budget. You owe a decent amount on student loans, no other debt. You have a $5k emergency fund, no other savings other than 401k/traditional IRA. How would you, personally, break up that extra money between general savings and student loan payoff?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I've been using personalcapital to look at my accounts at a glance instead of mint, but I have no idea if PC also has the same kind of budgeting tools as I enter in purchases manually.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Omne posted:

Here's a question: Let's say you have some amount of money that's unspoken for in your budget. You owe a decent amount on student loans, no other debt. You have a $5k emergency fund, no other savings other than 401k/traditional IRA. How would you, personally, break up that extra money between general savings and student loan payoff?
Depends on the interest rate, but I'd probably throw it all at the debt if I was secure in my job or had something else to fall back on.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Omne posted:

I had to remove several accounts from Mint. I kept getting locked out of certain accounts for exceeding the login tries because Mint kept messing up.

Depends on interest rate and if you've maxed out your 401k/Roth IRA limits yet.

Anything over 5% and I'd pay it off immediately.
Anything under 3% and I'd ignore the student loan debt other than minimums
Between 3% and 5% and I'd do some mixture of paying it down slightly faster and trying to max 401k and/or Roth IRA contributions. If Roth IRA and 401k are both capped, I'd put any extra towards student loans.

Note: I'm pretty anti-emergency fund though, and think they are a great idea for people who live paycheck to paycheck and less relevant for those with investments

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Vilgan posted:

Depends on interest rate and if you've maxed out your 401k/Roth IRA limits yet.

Anything over 5% and I'd pay it off immediately.
Anything under 3% and I'd ignore the student loan debt other than minimums
Between 3% and 5% and I'd do some mixture of paying it down slightly faster and trying to max 401k and/or Roth IRA contributions. If Roth IRA and 401k are both capped, I'd put any extra towards student loans.

Note: I'm pretty anti-emergency fund though, and think they are a great idea for people who live paycheck to paycheck and less relevant for those with investments

I'm in this boat now, I have 6k in my emergency fund, 13k in private student loan with 4.9%, 21k federal with 5.125%, and I'm making $400 more per month than I was at my last job. I've been waffling on trying to fill out my new Roth I just opened with the 1.5k that was in my 401k that I rolled over or hammer even harder on my loans than I have been for the last year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
No question there. Hammer the loans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It's up to you, though 5% guaranteed return by paying down the loans is pretty sweet.

Unless you have employee matching, then you must contribute to the max of that or the ghosts of BFC success stories will come and tell you that everything about you sucks.

You do not want my cantankerous apparition quoting Epictetus at you and rummaging through your cupboards telling you that there is no way you need this many dishes. Trust me.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

It's up to you, though 5% guaranteed return by paying down the loans is pretty sweet.

More like 4% when you figure in the tax deduction on student loans.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't that raise the percentage, not lower it?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

OK I guess this needs more detail. I'm pretty sure I'll know what BFC will say (hammer the loans) but the lack of savings scares me a bit...

Extra money each month not budgeted: $1800
Emergency Fund: $5100
Other Savings: $300
401k: 8% of salary (get full match at 6%)
IRA: none

Student Loan 1: $17,200 (6.8%) - $256.36/month minimum
Student Loan 2: $15,400 (4.25%) - $126.34/month minimum
Student Loan 3: $2,950 (5%) - $79/month (paid quarterly)

So I pay $462/month on student loans. My plan was to make that an even $1k, applying the extra $538/month on the biggest loan and pay it off in two years, then snowball it and knock out the other two in a year and a half. Meanwhile, I'd be building my savings and be able to increase my 401k, max out my Roth and save for a new car.

Edit: tax implications don't matter, I make too much to deduct the interest

asur
Dec 28, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wouldn't that raise the percentage, not lower it?

You pay less in interest because you get some of if back when you take the deduction.

@Omne: The best return is dumping the money into paying off loans, however if you don't feel comfortable with your emergency saving then I would reccomend you put it towards that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

OK I guess this needs more detail. I'm pretty sure I'll know what BFC will say (hammer the loans) but the lack of savings scares me a bit...

Extra money each month not budgeted: $1800
Emergency Fund: $5100
Other Savings: $300
401k: 8% of salary (get full match at 6%)
IRA: none

Student Loan 1: $17,200 (6.8%) - $256.36/month minimum
Student Loan 2: $15,400 (4.25%) - $126.34/month minimum
Student Loan 3: $2,950 (5%) - $79/month (paid quarterly)

So I pay $462/month on student loans. My plan was to make that an even $1k, applying the extra $538/month on the biggest loan and pay it off in two years, then snowball it and knock out the other two in a year and a half. Meanwhile, I'd be building my savings and be able to increase my 401k, max out my Roth and save for a new car.

Edit: tax implications don't matter, I make too much to deduct the interest

I'd ask your bank about a line of credit, say like 15k at 7% (which is what we've got) and dump your e-fund into the loans, but I'm fairly apathetic about emergency funds.

Just run your projected payment schedules through a debt repayment calculator and cost/benefit the lost money in interest. If that amount of money is worth it on top of your other goals, go for it, if not, then hammer the debt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel kind of weird asking about this, but I've been doing a thing in Mint.

Mint collects all the transaction data from my investment accounts at Questrade and TD, which I think is great, but I've been going through and categorizing transactions as "buy" "sell" "forex" etc. Is there any reason to do this? Like, will I see a benefit at some point from having this data or should I just stop wasting my time?

Folly
May 26, 2010

tuyop posted:

I feel kind of weird asking about this, but I've been doing a thing in Mint.

Mint collects all the transaction data from my investment accounts at Questrade and TD, which I think is great, but I've been going through and categorizing transactions as "buy" "sell" "forex" etc. Is there any reason to do this? Like, will I see a benefit at some point from having this data or should I just stop wasting my time?

I think it helps the trend reporting. Sometimes mint gets confused about when you sell one asset to buy another, and it sometimes treats the sale as income, when it's really more like a transfer.

Edit: That said, I still can't get the report to reflect actual asset growth over time.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
A coworker (Employee 1) said something racist to me today. Not about me, but about another employee (Employee 2). I was taken aback by it and did not immediately call this person out, but just moved the conversation forward. Employee 1 is really new and this is the second racist thing they have said about Employee 2. The first thing was "There's just something about Employee 2 that I don't trust," in regards to Employee 2's qualifications. This second thing was "Employee 2 should fix how they talk."

Employee 1 is white, Employee 2 is black and speaks in a manner consistent with young black people in our area, which is to say "Completely normal and not in need of fixing." Employee 2 is highly qualified and there is no "something about them" that isn't an offensive dogwhistle.

How do I proceed here? I obviously cannot tolerate racism in the workplace.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

A coworker (Employee 1) said something racist to me today. Not about me, but about another employee (Employee 2). I was taken aback by it and did not immediately call this person out, but just moved the conversation forward. Employee 1 is really new and this is the second racist thing they have said about Employee 2. The first thing was "There's just something about Employee 2 that I don't trust," in regards to Employee 2's qualifications. This second thing was "Employee 2 should fix how they talk."

Employee 1 is white, Employee 2 is black and speaks in a manner consistent with young black people in our area, which is to say "Completely normal and not in need of fixing." Employee 2 is highly qualified and there is no "something about them" that isn't an offensive dogwhistle.

How do I proceed here? I obviously cannot tolerate racism in the workplace.

What's the context here? How big is this organization? Do you have an HR department or at least some company policies against racism and harassment and unethical conduct? Is there anyone above you?

At the very least you should probably write the racist up about his comments somehow so that you have a paper trail for the inevitable firing. Personally I'd push for firing regardless because I don't think those two employees are going to work well together because one of them is a racist gently caress, but that may not be reasonable.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I work for a large government agency. We do have HR policies concerning discrimination and harassment. Your advice would be to immediately proceed with a complaint? That is the way I'm currently leaning.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Do not tolerate racists. If they've said something to you, they've probably said stuff to other people, and that poo poo is morale poison.

If your job has an official channel, use it. They deserve what they get.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I work for a large government agency. We do have HR policies concerning discrimination and harassment. Your advice would be to immediately proceed with a complaint? That is the way I'm currently leaning.

Yeah. Include dates, times, any witnesses. I wouldn't bother with trying to record the person saying this poo poo but I would discreetly ask around for other witnesses and encourage them to complain as well.

This should go very well for employee #1 with racism being such a hot topic right now after Ferguson, I imagine.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Thanks, I'm going to do this on Tuesday.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Employs 2 speaks in a manner consistent with young black people in our area, which is to say "Completely normal and not in need of fixing." Employee 2 is highly qualified

I'm never sure what people mean by "speaking in a manner consistent with young black people in our area" Does employee #2 speak very informally and unprofessionally? Yolo McSwaggins kind of thing? Or using the word ax instead of ask?

This does not excuse #1s behavior one bit, and I'm with tuyop on reporting to HR. If 2s speech is a major issue, then HR may help 2 with things like diction courses to help further his career. This happened with a friend of mine and his communication got way better.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, basically what I mean is that Employee 2 speaks with an accent and some of the vernacular common to our black population. Its honestly difficult to explain exactly, but aks instead of ask is one part, some slang usage, and an accent. Totally innocuous stuff. If Employee 2 was a southern white person who had a southern accent and spoke with southern vernacular, Employee 1 wouldn't care or notice. I know this is true because we have an employee in the office who has these exact speech qualities.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

vernacular common to our black population.

That's a pretty racist thing to say.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Devonaut posted:

Nah, dialects/accents/speech patterns are regional and cultural more than racial. And unless you're a linguist, you're not going to automatically have a succinct and accepted phrase to say "when people from this region speak, I can identify that it sounds differently than the speech from people in this other region." He's doing the best he can. If you have a better phrase, I'm sure he'd be open to the suggestion.

It's not racist per se to point out that different races have their own cultures and dialects, and often live in a relatively identifiable region. It depends on the context. It's like pointing out that a Ferguson, MO is a mostly black neighborhood. It's probably necessary to point out in the context of the civil unrest going on over there. But it's racist if you bring it up in a discussion about the St. Louis weather forecast. In this context, it's worth mentioning to give a frame of reference to the story.

It's bad for society to overly police racism in this type of discussion. There ARE race relation problems in America. And we're going to have to be able to talk about them if we want to work through them. So when you start calling a guy's speech racist when he's clearly trying to avoid exactly that, and not offering an alternative, then you're shutting down the conversation. That isn't helping.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Devonaut posted:

Congratulations, I am glad to announce your invitation to the Racism Olympics 2015. You will compete in exciting events like Calling Out Those Things Someone Said and Making Pithy Remarks to People who are Already on Your Side. Welcome and good luck!!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

21 extra hours on my next paycheck. Aw yes. I love the beginning of the school year - so many extra $$ opportunities.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Historically I have been very bad with money in general. I spent most of my life in full time education (Secondary School, A levels, University) and found it hell to find work when I got out due to lack of experience. I struggled to hold down any sort of job for ~4 years, had a Technical Call Centre role that lasted less than 3 months due to my own incompetence, sales roles only lasted a few weeks at most as I was uncomfortable selling crappy services to people who were clearly not interested in cold calls and it left me with massive gaps in my employment history, making it even harder to find work. Job Seekers for nearly 4 years is no fun.

During this time I was surprised by my bank when, after dipping below my balance and incurring overdraft fees that were just going to keep me incurring more and more fees, I pleaded my case and the bank said I had good enough credit to forgive and refund the overdraft fees. :) Also annoyingly I currently owe £18,000 student loans that won't start being collected until I am earning at least £15000 per annum.

However, after getting sucked into a Cobra Marketing scheme for three months that left me completely financially and emotionally depleted, things turned around.

I got another tech support job (part time, 30 hours per week) in June Last Year, and opened a savings account in November. The main bank account is a storage thing, basically a digital mattress, but the savings account has an interest rate. I started transferring £70 per month into it as that was what I was comfortable with (the account has a 4% interest rate in the first year. During that year I am not allowed to touch the money that goes in, and it will not accrue interest, however it will be calculated. This November the account will unlock, turn into a Regular Saver and the all the accrued interest from the year will be added. Downside: the Interest rate will plummet to 0.04%).

I was still living pretty much paycheck to paycheck however. In June this year I started seriously trying to save, and my bank account went from hovering at ~£350 balance to ~£950 now, and still going up. In august, 1 week in I got YNAB and that helped immensely as well. Now I have freed up £140 to go into the saving account this month, and after my brother and I have been to Legoland during the final weekend of September the £60 budgeted for that can also start going into the savings account, equalling £200 per month.

For context I am earning ~£200 per week, payed weekly, and each week I am already able to live by step 4, putting my money for next months budget.

My current financial situation is as follows (the Nest acccount is my pension, but the site is terrible to figure out so I've not done much with it, the nest money has gone from the bank but not arrived in nest yet and took forever to get that far. It's a lovely pension site. I only have it on there to remind myself that it exists. After the money goes in it will be £80)

Notes: The student loan is not being touched yet as I cannot spare enough to pay it down. All it would do is push £300 added in interest down to £50 and the total amount owed would still increase. I am planning on waiting until I can get a better paying job, put a shitload in the savings account and pay off large chunks at once. i have been applying at local hospitals and am hoping for an interview. Also in april (due to it being the beginning of a new financial year so interest rates will apparently be higher) I am going to move my savings account to a bank with a tiered interest rate and instant access. The bands are £1-£100 per month gets 0.8%(0.4 after tax) interest, 100-200 gets 1.4%(0.8 AT), 200-500 gets 1.8%(1.4 AT) and 500-1000 gets 2.5% (2% interest after tax) so when that happens my interest rate will be 50 times higher than my unlocked account will turn out to be. Also, September only has 600 out of £800 income due to only having three weeks of budgeting with this tool in august. October will get the full £800 (£790.08 after tax).

AUGUST-SEPTEMBER

SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER

Any tips on further improving my lot? Currently 26 years old, 27 in October.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 3, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Petrol and a bus pass but no car maintenance, insurance, or anything else relating to a car?

Other than that, and my urge to laugh at legoland, it seems like you just have an earning problem. Earn more money. Go work in some godawful place that has oil or diamonds or whatever. Australia works, Western Canada does too. Not sure how immigration will work for you but you see lots of Brits around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

tuyop posted:

Petrol and a bus pass but no car maintenance, insurance, or anything else relating to a car?

Other than that, and my urge to laugh at legoland, it seems like you just have an earning problem. Earn more money. Go work in some godawful place that has oil or diamonds or whatever. Australia works, Western Canada does too. Not sure how immigration will work for you but you see lots of Brits around here.

Petrol is emergency money, when I need to give some to my dad as he gives me lifts to work when I need to work super early (setting off at 5:30 to arrive at work at 6:00 am, no buses run that early). Legoland is something that my brother and I hve been planning since last year, and I have vouchers for both of us to knock the price down from £60 a head (we pay for ourselves) to £30 (so the legoland will only be half depleted, I'm leaving it at 60 in case something happens to the vouchers). I still live with my parents as I never had enough money to move out. The Rent payment is £40 every friday, the reason it is £200 this month and 120 next month instead of 160 both is this month is an emergency month(my dad's a teacher, the school holidays are terrible for us financially) and he needed 5 weeks board in advance all at once.