Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

jwh posted:

And yeah, the CV Tele is a nice guitar for the money.

It is a nice guitar, but my CV50s Tele weighs more than my Epi LP. Probably not what he wants if an LP is back-breaking.

Unless he goes for the Thinline, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

JHVH-1 posted:

Man, people like Paul Simon or Arcade Fire don't compare to some real Soukous guitar playing.
The combination of using a pick at the top and fingers at the bottom is badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1dMz49bmyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uETt8BsFzQ

These are fantastic and Soukous/Jit/Afropop/Chimurenga all own. I'm pretty sure Paul Simon hired actual African musicians though, at least for Graceland. Anyhow, here's more awesome African guitar (which all happens to be Zimbabwean because that's my main interest):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdJdegVjxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5ZzFzaTlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzxSwfi47wU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

NTT posted:

Cheap epiphone LPs are poo poo and you're right to want to switch. IMHO a guitar that doesn't fight you to play on it and allows for technical flexibility is great to learn on even if the tone is poo poo or w/e. Ibanez guitars are usually pretty thin on the neck and very easy to play if part of your motivation is to try to play fast melodic metal like Met to cut your teeth on. Do not buy a guitar for less than 2k without playing it before you buy. Go to a GC and play anything that catches your eye. Play it clean. Play with the gain on a black star 150 cranked and your bridge pickup. Try a bluesy tone. If it changes how it sounds twist, push or pull it and strum an A chord. Try changing positions rapidly and getting a feel for the neck. Finger the frets wY up at the top; a lot of the guitars I've owned had awful access to frets 20 and higher: ibanez tends to have thin necks with high accessibility to upper notes, so I think it's a good brand for you to look at. A word of caution; if you seriously consider a 3-500 ibanez with one of their floating bridges, please pull out your smartphone and check to make sure that it's not one of the floating terms that is made out if soft metal and will not stay in tune if you dive bomb or even just do little tremolo bar poo poo. Iirc [brain can't remember] it's their Edge II that's the piece of poo poo that I had to return because it was so bad. A shame, the neck was super smooth and easy to play. Don't be afraid to pick up something outside your price range a bit if it really feels good in your hands. It's an investment and you should be extremely happy with your purchase.

It's the Edge III that's complete poo poo. Older Edge tremolos were found to violate Floyd rose patents so they redesigned them and came up with a variant on the Low Profile design for high end guitars and the Edge III as a bargain basement model. Only parts that cause major problems are the knife edges but they're welded in place and have the structural integrity of playdough. Works fine if you block the trem though and they're often cheaper than Ibanez hardtails.

In fact if you want a cheap 24 fret hardtail with good access to the high end go for a 2012/2013 LTD. They're much cheaper and can be better quality than Ibanez models due to ESP/LTD rebranding this year and trying to ditch all their old stock.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schpyder posted:

It is a nice guitar, but my CV50s Tele weighs more than my Epi LP. Probably not what he wants if an LP is back-breaking.

This is true. I can't say enough about how great the CV Tele is. Beats most guitars I've touched in the under $1,000 group but it's HEAVY. I think mine's right around 9 lbs. Very well balanced and comfortable for a huge slab of wood though.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've decided that I need to get serious about protecting my hearing, as I already have some hearing loss, and lately I've been experiencing tinnitus. The current band that I play with is ridiculously loud. The other guitarist is playing through two Fender Twins and a Dual Showman with two 2x12 cabs. At the same time. I'm "only" playing through a single Twin and a '68 Super Reverb.

What has worked for people? I ordered a set of Earasers, but I'm not sure they'll work for me- I don't have a good experience with earplugs / earbuds.

Has anyone shelled out the big money for custom audio earplugs?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
If you go for a CV make sure you try it in person first (I know, sound advice for any guitar). I bought mine off rave reviews and even after having a luthier set it up I am still dealing with buzzing, a month after it was fixed. Also I have said this a billion times but whoever did mine did the loving laziest wood matching ever. It is so bad I am considering a loving bigsby to cover up the section. A loving bigsby, ugh. Spare yourself that kind of headache.

Now excuse me I have to readjust the truss rod for the 15th time this week in the hope that it will not buzz for at least a few days.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you go for a CV make sure you try it in person first (I know, sound advice for any guitar). I bought mine off rave reviews and even after having a luthier set it up I am still dealing with buzzing, a month after it was fixed. Also I have said this a billion times but whoever did mine did the loving laziest wood matching ever. It is so bad I am considering a loving bigsby to cover up the section. A loving bigsby, ugh. Spare yourself that kind of headache.

Now excuse me I have to readjust the truss rod for the 15th time this week in the hope that it will not buzz for at least a few days.

Sounds like my C-1. It buzzes all the time on the high e 12th fret and the b 17th fret, which is bizarrely the same note. Sometimes bridge or truss rod adjustments fixes it for a few weeks. But it always seems to come back. Great guitar otherwise, but really frustrating. Brought it to a luthier and he says it has an unfixable blemish on the neck. But my my untrained eye can't seem to find, so I have no idea if he was just bull making GBS threads me. He also said that Schecter's were known for neck blemishes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The guy offering me the 61 reissue for my amdlx strat had gone mia right as I've realized how good of a deal this is for me. Infinite sadness.

On the topic of CVs, that's a shame soup. All the wood on mine looks fantastic and I haven't had to mess with the setup since it came in from amazon. I've been lucky I guess. Even in Florida the guitar stays completely solid and buzz free.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had a VM Tele with the Jazzmaster neck. If it had a tummy and comfort cuts, I'd still have it :blush:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kilometers Davis posted:

On the topic of CVs, that's a shame soup. All the wood on mine looks fantastic and I haven't had to mess with the setup since it came in from amazon. I've been lucky I guess. Even in Florida the guitar stays completely solid and buzz free.

It really is, because I want to like the guitar so much. It sounds good when it is not buzzing and the luthier did a pretty good setup. I live in NY and the humidity is pretty erratic, but none of my other guitars act even close to as pissy as this. Yesterday at my cousins the stupid guitar was buzzing on pretty much every string from 6-11th fret. Today there is almost no buzzing on anything.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Sockington posted:

Get a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe, if you can. May cost a little bit more used, but you'll be able to play it without the worry of quickly outgrowing it.

Affinity Strats are the level *just* above the cheapest possible Squier series (Bullet).

If you can find the VM or CV series, you'll have something that will be easier to play, better constructed, and have better components (think tuners, pots, pickups, etc).

Alright, I'll bump up my price range a bit then if it may end up being an issue. There were just a few deals on CL in the $70 range so I thought it might have been a risk worth taking.

My #1 concern is to just have something worth less to me and different from my LP, so weight isn't a dealbreaker. I've never even really considered a Tele so I'll check those out as well.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

jwh posted:

I'm no expert, but I've seen a tremendous variation with Squier's, generally. It'd be a good idea to play the guitar before you buy, if you're able to do so.

I can attest to the massive variation in Squire lines, I've got a affinity telecaster that I wouldn't trade for the world, it just feels right. I've tried others of the same line and they felt just awful. If it weren't for the hardware, I'd think it was a mistake when they labeled it. It easily feels as good as the midrange fenders I played at guitar center, but I can't find another that's even close. It's really a shame, a buddy of mine loves it as well, and we can't find another.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Verizian posted:

It's the Edge III that's complete poo poo. Older Edge tremolos were found to violate Floyd rose patents so they redesigned them and came up with a variant on the Low Profile design for high end guitars and the Edge III as a bargain basement model. Only parts that cause major problems are the knife edges but they're welded in place and have the structural integrity of playdough. Works fine if you block the trem though and they're often cheaper than Ibanez hardtails.

In fact if you want a cheap 24 fret hardtail with good access to the high end go for a 2012/2013 LTD. They're much cheaper and can be better quality than Ibanez models due to ESP/LTD rebranding this year and trying to ditch all their old stock.

All good advice and correct. However if you can get a used japanese ibanez or older MIK LTD deluxe, go for those, they're gr8

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Quite A Tool posted:

Alright, I'll bump up my price range a bit then if it may end up being an issue. There were just a few deals on CL in the $70 range so I thought it might have been a risk worth taking.

My #1 concern is to just have something worth less to me and different from my LP, so weight isn't a dealbreaker. I've never even really considered a Tele so I'll check those out as well.

If you don't have a Tele, you should have one. Everyone should have a Tele. I was a latecomer to the Tele party, but as someone who owns 17 electrics, the Tele would be almost the last to go.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

These are fantastic and Soukous/Jit/Afropop/Chimurenga all own. I'm pretty sure Paul Simon hired actual African musicians though, at least for Graceland. Anyhow, here's more awesome African guitar (which all happens to be Zimbabwean because that's my main interest):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdJdegVjxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5ZzFzaTlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzxSwfi47wU

Hearing this stuff reminded me of the Awesome Tapes from Africa blog which I used to check out all the time when google reader existed: http://www.awesometapes.com

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

pointlessone posted:

Pulled the trigger on a used Tiny (Oops) Micro Terror on guitar center's site.... for $89 bucks.

Holy CRAP this thing is loud! Plugged it into a buddy's 2x12, and it pushed it like a champ. I think it even sounded better than his Peavey head unit. I do wish it had multiple channels, but this thing is awesome.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 28, 2014

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

You mean Micro Terror, right? A Tiny Terror for $89 is insane.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Digital Jesus posted:

You mean Micro Terror, right? A Tiny Terror for $89 is insane.

Yes, sorry, Micro Terror. It's super tiny, I feel like I'm going to lose it. This thing has no right being this loud for something literally the size of half a lunchbox.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I was thinking about getting one recently. Ended up with the Blackstar HT-5R combo instead. Pretty happy with it so far.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've been tweaking the hell out of my amp and stuff to get everything sounding awesome.

And I've encountered an anomaly with my Les Paul.

It's a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I recently swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan JB because the bridge pickup didn't have enough oomph. I chose a JB because I've got one in my Yamaha AES620 and it's awesome.

I swapped strings recently and played for about a week and suddenly, my Les Paul is sounding...kinda like it did with it's old Burstbucker in it. It's sounding brittle and sharp. Plus it kinda sounds "choked" as though it's not roaring with full power as it used to. It's not the amp or any of the pedals because everything else sounds kickass. There's not a volume drop from the guitar either.

Any ideas?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Quite A Tool posted:

Another thing to look for in the cheap-but-good strat range besides the Squier CV/VM models are Yamaha Pacificas. They street for a good bit less than the Squiers new, and I've seen them pop up on my local CL under $125. That's a hell of a deal for a goofin' off beater guitar.

That being said, if you can swing a CV tele, get a tele. Teles own.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I've been tweaking the hell out of my amp and stuff to get everything sounding awesome.

It's a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I recently swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan JB because the bridge pickup didn't have enough oomph. I chose a JB because I've got one in my Yamaha AES620 and it's awesome.

I swapped strings recently and played for about a week and suddenly, my Les Paul is sounding...kinda like it did with it's old Burstbucker in it. It's sounding brittle and sharp. Plus it kinda sounds "choked" as though it's not roaring with full power as it used to. It's not the amp or any of the pedals because everything else sounds kickass. There's not a volume drop from the guitar either.

Any ideas?

Have you checked whether any of the wiring inside has come loose? Maybe a solder joint came undone, especially if it was recent work.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
All the Amplitube apps on ios are 50% off if anyone has the hardware to use it.

I kinda bought into the BIAS amps and jam up or whatever they call it but it's only $7 if you want the Orange or Hendrix editions or $10 for the vanilla one (Which still has in app purchases on some stuff). They make too many different versions if their apps.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Schpyder posted:

Another thing to look for in the cheap-but-good strat range besides the Squier CV/VM models are Yamaha Pacificas. They street for a good bit less than the Squiers new, and I've seen them pop up on my local CL under $125. That's a hell of a deal for a goofin' off beater guitar.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-Double-Cutaway-Solid-Body_c_152.html

These ain't bad at all, either. Good pickups.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Schpyder posted:

Speaking of the Thinline, I have one and I love it to death. I don't know how it compares tonally to the regular CV50, but it's a great guitar.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

jwh posted:

I've decided that I need to get serious about protecting my hearing, as I already have some hearing loss, and lately I've been experiencing tinnitus. The current band that I play with is ridiculously loud. The other guitarist is playing through two Fender Twins and a Dual Showman with two 2x12 cabs. At the same time. I'm "only" playing through a single Twin and a '68 Super Reverb.

What has worked for people? I ordered a set of Earasers, but I'm not sure they'll work for me- I don't have a good experience with earplugs / earbuds.

Has anyone shelled out the big money for custom audio earplugs?

I have weird ears, which means that I've never been really comfortable with earplugs or in-ear phones. I wasn't able to wear regular earplugs for more than an hour or so without experiencing discomfort and killing the mood. Having custom earplugs made has seriously been the best music-related purchase in my life. I use them for playing, attending concerts, clubbing and wherever else I'm exposed to loud noises. Being able to enjoy loud music without having my ears ringing for days afterwards was worth the cost to me and then some.
I don't know how much it would all cost in the US, but if you can afford it, I'd say to go for it. Your hearing once ruined will never come back.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any ideas?

Barring a bum PU, it sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere or possibly the filter cap. Does your tone control change anything? In any case, take it in to a trusted tech - it's going to have to be opened up.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Ughhh now you guys have me drooling over a CV Thinline Tele on CL. What would be a realistic price for one of these? They're asking $375 which is, well quite a bit more than a $70 affinity strat but goddamn that's a pretty guitar.

Edit: Looks like it's 399 on Amazon, comes with a bunch of extras but still not a huge difference.

Edit 2: went to the local shop and played a CV Tele (not the thinline) and a Squier Strat. I went into it wanting to like the Strat more but that Tele hit all my buttons and played like butter. No contest.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 29, 2014

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

YeahWhatevah posted:

Barring a bum PU, it sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere or possibly the filter cap. Does your tone control change anything? In any case, take it in to a trusted tech - it's going to have to be opened up.

I doubt it's the pickup (Seymour Duncan JB for the record). It's only 6 months old.

I'll throw a new set of strings on it in case I got a dodgy batch of strings, but if it sounds the same, then yeah.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
check every one of your solder joints and your components

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

I doubt it's the pickup (Seymour Duncan JB for the record). It's only 6 months old.

I'll throw a new set of strings on it in case I got a dodgy batch of strings, but if it sounds the same, then yeah.

Well, I just wanted to point out that even high end stuff can fail - even Mercedes can make a lemon. I'm more curious as to how it responds to the tone control. If your tone does nothing at all, or acts like a volume knob, you've got a bad cap.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Try a different instrument cable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
What's the goon hivemind consensus on what's a good modern P90? I picked up an Ibanez Artcore archtop a while ago that I'm really digging but the neck pickup sounds like the neighbor playing an AM radio loud enough you can hear it through the wall.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Call Wolfetone. Tell him what you like. He will tell you either which of his pickups to buy or you'll hit it off with him and tell him to wind you something he thinks is a cool match for you based on what songs you dig.

Alternatively, try adjusting both the pickup height as well as the individual pole piece screws (if they're actually screws). P90's are ridiculously sensitive to both.

Screws in for a tighter compressed sound, out for more chimey bell-tone. Also adjust per string, not en masse.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 29, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Apparently the best p90s are made by a guy named Tom Short, but I left two messages for him and never heard back, so I bought Novaks.

I'm not sure id spend that kind of money again though.

For the money, the GFS minitrons I bought sound great, if not a little too bright.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I want to sing the praises of the xotic EP booster- I have two of them now (both in front and after a wren and cuff tri pie, and I love them. I found both of mine used for about 80 bucks, and they're probably the best pedal on my board.

Everyone should at least try one, they're really magical.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

iostream.h posted:

Call Wolfetone. Tell him what you like. He will tell you either which of his pickups to buy or you'll hit it off with him and tell him to wind you something he thinks is a cool match for you based on what songs you dig.

Alternatively, try adjusting both the pickup height as well as the individual pole piece screws (if they're actually screws). P90's are ridiculously sensitive to both.

Screws in for a tighter compressed sound, out for more chimey bell-tone. Also adjust per string, not en masse.
The existing neck pickup is the stock Ibanez ACH humbucker, not a P90. I've tried loving around with it every which way, but it seems to go from sounding like booming muffled rear end to mellow muffled rear end. I just want to replace it with a P90 because I like P90s.

From what I've heard of the Wolfetones, they're all a little more aggressive than the sound I'm really interested in. I was thinking more along the lines of a Lollar, or maybe a Bare Knuckle Half Tone. But I've never actually owned either.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

What pots are being used for that humbucker? Check and see if they're 250k or 500k.

I dunno about that with Wolfetone, he DOES have some hot ones, but he's also got a pretty wide variety across the board. Wouldn't hurt to give him a ring, plus he's a nice guy who'll LISTEN to you and I try to steer business towards the people who I feel deserve it.

Also, he has a no-questions-asked rewinding guarantee. If you don't dig it, send it back and he will work on it until you're happy.

Edit: by the by, the first part there wasn't an attempt to convince you to keep your humbucker, just trying to troubleshoot it. I loving love P90's, hell I out a purple Lace Sensor in the neck of my strat for it's P90 characteristics.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 29, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If you want a p90 with more of a bell like tone, check out the Novak narrow range p90. It's half of a fender wrhb in a p90 shell. To my mind, it's a lot more usable than most neck p90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

jwh posted:

If you want a p90 with more of a bell like tone, check out the Novak narrow range p90. It's half of a fender wrhb in a p90 shell. To my mind, it's a lot more usable than most neck p90s.

Ooh that sounds awesome. I'm really happy with the Manlius Goatmaster in my Reverend's neck (Jazzmaster in a P-90 shell) but it doesn't look like he makes them anymore.